Humble

The Library

"You don't live in Santa Barbara?" Mina asked as he continued driving down the 101 Freeway. He simply shook his head. They passed Montecito.

"You don't live in Montecito either?" she asked even more confused. He shook his head again. He finally got off on an exit for Carpinteria.

"You live in Carpinteria?" she asked. This time he nodded. It made more sence to Mina though. A person living in Santa Barbara had to have some money, a person living in Montecito had to be at Oprah's level. She lived there too. Now, in Carpinteria, people were more humble. They continued in silence as they finally reached a street. Looked decent. They arrived at an apartment  building and headed upstairs. It was already past midnight.

He began to open the door but someone beat him too it and opened it for him.

"Ya! Kyungsoo! Where were you? Do you see what time it is? Your mom even had to call me-" the older Asian girl complained. She then looked at Mina behind Kyungsoo. Her eyes went wide.

"You brought a girl? Kyungsoo! What in the world were you planning on doing with that girl at this-" the teenager began but then another older lady appeared in the back.

"Kyungsoo! I'm so happy you're okay...." the lady began and then continued rambling in Korean. Mina just looked confused at Kyungsoo and who she assumed was his mother.

The other girl looked familiar.

His cousin. Kyungsoo continued to explain.

"So, your just his friend?" his cousin asked. Mina nodded.

"He had to take you to the hospital? Are you okay?" his mother asked concerned.

"Come in, come in" she told Mina and they entered the small apartment.

There was a small sofa. A small TV that looked like it was from the 90's. The kitchen was small and simple. A small table, 3 chairs. A microwave and a small fridge. Mina had never seen such a small refridgerator in her life.

"Well now that we cleared up, that Kyungsoo was simply just with a girl. I'm going to head home now, because I have to work and it's so darn late. Thanks a lot Kyungsoo!" she said and messed up his hair and bowed. Stepped out of the home and left.

His mother smiled at Mina though. Her smile was so kind. That of a real mother.

"Well, we don't have another room for you to stay in..." she began.

"It's fine, i'll sleep here on the floor" Mina said and smiled. She had seen it in some drama's but never had she truly slept on any floor.

"No, no. You can sleep in Kyungsoo's room. He will sleep on the floor, is that okay?" she asked and began looking for some extra pillows in her closet. She brought them out and handed them to her.

"Thank you so much" she said and bowed. Getting the hang of the Asian culture.

His mother smiled and kissed her son's forehead and excused herself to her room.

"You're mom is so kind" Mina whispered. Kyungsoo still uneasy just nodded his head and lead her to his room. The room was small. The size of Mina's...well more like half the size of her walk in closet.

There was a small bed, his room was so tidy though. The small closet was in perfect order. All his clothes neatly placed. It made sence why his clothes look practially new, he took care of them. Unlike her, that her clothes looked new but it was because they WERE new.

He had a small desk, a fairly new computer. Lot's and lot's of books all tidied up in a corner.

He caught Mina observing his room.

"There's not much to say, the bathroom is to the left if you step out of the room" he mumbled.

"Is there any clothes I can borrow? I'm sorry, I bother so much" she whispered as she sat on his bed.

"Sure" he said and took out some sweats and a T-shirt.

"I'll go change in the bathroom first" he whispered softly and stepped out. She waited patiently and then got up and looked at his CD's. There was a few that were unlabeled. she was curious.

He then stepped in. She headed towards their bathroom.

She changed quickly and returned to the room.

"So what did you think?" he whispered as he set up his space on the floor.

"Kyungsoo" she said and sighed. "I don't know what you're expecting me to say but I love how worried your family get's, how humble everyone is. How simply all of you live and yet are so happy"

"You don't mind it?" he asked.

"Not at all. Kyungsoo why are you so worried?" she asked as she wrapped herself up with the blanket. It smelled like him.

"Honestly?" he asked as he raised his eyebrow. She nodded eagerly.

"Silly girl" he began, "I like you" he admitted. It was her turn to turn red and in shock. She knew she had been honest for awhile too, it was revenge.

"I like you too, but there's not much we can do about it" she replied and turned the other way.

"Exactly" he chuckled.

"Goodnight Kyungsoo" she whispered and smiled.

"Goodnight Mina" he replied. They both knew there was still so much for them to develop in their friendship and relationship. A lot struggles ahead of them. However for that moment, they both felt at peace. At peace with their completly different lives.