Kyungsoo Vs. Eric Nam

The Library

Omniscient P.O.V

 

“Alright!” the professor announced.

He began to hand everyone a cup of rice.

 

“I have handed you all a cup of rice, you will be cooking it today the correct way. Here in Korea we tend to use a lot of rice cookers, we simply press a button and wait. Today we will be cooking it with a pot. If you did the reading you would know” the professor announced.

Kyungsoo looked over at Eric. Eric was smiling being his bubbly self as a few of his fan girls whispered about how cute he looked with his glasses.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and began to walk towards their stations in the kitchen.

“Rice, that’s easy! Right?” Kyungsoo thought to himself. The more he thought about it though he became more scarred.

“What if Eric makes better rice”, he then realized how stupid his thoughts were beginning to sound.  He face palmed himself.

Eric on the other hand was beginning to feel a little jealous at how many more fan girls Kyungsoo had. Sure, Eric had like 2 in the class room but the rest were Kyungsoo’s. To add to the situation, he was also beginning to remember how much Mina had cried when she saw D.O in the music video.

“Does she have a crush on him? Now that they sit together, are they developing more?” he questioned himself in his mind. Then it hit him. Why was he even having these thoughts in the first place? He was beginning to sound like a jealous boyfriend. Did he have feelings for Mina all this time? He shook the thought away and grabbed the ingredients.

The professor had stated that they were welcome to flavor the rice the way they preferred. He would be judging by the texture of the rice. None of the boys had done the reading though. They were clueless and were to share the same set of ingredients since they were partners.

Kyungsoo coughed. “If you don’t mind, I will be taking the butter first”

Eric looked him in the eye. That was what he was going to use too.

“Not at all” he lied and faked smiled. Eric didn’t even know where to start. For a second he felt like calling his mom. He then remembered his mother always left the seasoning for last. She always rinsed the rice first to get rid of the starch. He grinned as he saw Kyungsoo totally forgetting that step.

“He thinks he can cook” Eric scoffed.

Kyungsoo watched as Eric put only one cup of water into the rice. Kyungsoo laughed.

“Wait till it burns” he whispered. Everyone knew that it was a 2:1 ratio. Two cups of water is best.

Eric then watched as Kyungsoo placed the lid on his rice and so did he.

What the two idiots didn’t take into consideration was boiling the water first. They would soon find out their mistakes. They set their timers and casually leaned on the counters.

“I’m Mina’s best friend, and you are?” Eric said to Kyungsoo, finally answering his question.

“Best friend?” Kyungsoo thought to himself. Kyungsoo wasn’t very sure on what to respond.

“I’m her partner in class” he coolly replied.

“I don’t think it’s right for an idol to sit next to her in class, she’s going to get unwanted attention” Eric straightforwardly added.

“Yeah, I also didn’t think her best friend a new rising idol should come into her class and produce the exact same effect but it’s not like my opinion matters” Kyungsoo retorted irritated.

“Yeah but I actually care for her, she’s important to me. I wouldn’t let anyone hurt her. You’re just her partner in this class” Eric challenged Kyungsoo’s opinion. He fixed his glasses and looked back at Kyungsoo. Anger was building inside of Kyungsoo.

“What makes you think I don’t care about her?”

“You said it yourself bro, you’re just her partner in class. You could have said friend, but you didn’t”

Kyungsoo wanted to slap himself.

“Why are you getting so worked up anyways?” Eric added.

“Do you smell something burning?” Kyungsoo questioned. Eric’s eyes went wide. There was smoke coming from the lid.

He ran to his rice and turned it off. It had run out of water. Kyungsoo laughed feeling triumph.

He then remembered his rice was on the stove too. The bottom was burning too so he added more water. Before he knew it though, it had turned starchy and mushy and to make matters worse the professor walked in to see their rice. They were both forced to serve it and show it to the professor.

“You burned the rice?” he asked Eric. Eric face palmed himself.

“C’mon, I know you aren’t in this class but is it really that hard to be checking on it?” the professor asked and shook his head in disappointment. He then looked over at Kyungsoo’s.

“What is this? Porridge?” he raised his tone as he lifted the rice with a spoon and it just dripped down like soup. He shook his head.

“You’re a class regular. You should do better than this. Maybe if you guys would have worked together instead of bickering, things would have turned out differently” the professor said and sighed. He shook his head again and headed towards the next table. Eric looked at his burnt rice and Kyungsoo at his mushy rice.

“I’m sorry dude, I shouldn’t have distracted you” Eric apologized. Kyungsoo shook his head.

“No, it’s my fault. I shouldn’t have started this, you were here for Mina and yet you ended up messing up. How are you supposed to explain to her how to cook rice properly?” Kyungsoo replied and sighed.

“Well, I guess I did learn something. Check on the rice” Eric said trying to look at the bright side.

“Well, I did too. Don’t add so much water” Kyungsoo said and laughed.

“Also dude, you should have washed your rice. It’s get starchy if you don’t, at least that’s what my mom always says” Eric added and cracked up.

“Oh really? Didn’t know that, I’ll try it next time” Kyungsoo replied and nodded. They had both cooled down.

“Well I hope Mina can benefit from our mistakes” Eric whispered and sighed. They both washed the pots and spoons.

“Tell Mina I hope she’s umm doing alright…and sorry again” Kyungsoo whispered before saying goodbye to Eric. He couldn’t even believe he had actually said that but he did.

“Yeah, I’ll let her know. I’ll see you around and sorry as well” Eric replied and bowed. Kyungsoo bowed and walked away. His guards following him.

Eric Nam wasn’t such a bad person but Kyungsoo still wondered how he had gotten so close to Mina.

Eric on the other hand thought Kyungsoo was pretty chill for a famous idol. He liked Exo’s music, he wished he would have found out why Kyungsoo was so defensive over Mina. Eric knew that if he asked Mina she probably wouldn’t say.

One thing was for sure, the guys both learned that getting into arguments while cooking rice was a bad idea but they also learned that in some way both of them cared for Mina sincerely and in addition that there was something both of them didn’t know about Mina.

In Eric’s case, Mina’s past and in Kyungsoo’s case, Mina’s present.

***

Author's Note:

ALRIGHT! GOT IT DOWN IN AN HOUR!

Thank you to all of you who commented, it's nice to see you all cheering me on!

I hope you liked this chapter, the next one will be quite different and with a twist. It is the reason why I asked if you guys liked Heirs...so you will have to wait to find out! :D

The question this time is:

YES or NO

Yup, that simple. Yes or no to what? You will find out but first answer it!

LOVE YOU ALL!

-The Author