The Moon

The Library

“Please let me live here” Mina begged the woman. Her hands together as she pleaded. The woman looked back at her again.

To the woman, Mina didn’t seem like the daughter of a billionaire. She thought Mina would be more arrogant, but Mina seemed humble in comparison.

The woman led Mina to their kitchen and sat her down. She looked Mina in the eye and concluded that Mina was honest.

“Sweetie, you have to tell me though. Why are you here? Don’t you have a big mansion somewhere? Maybe even two?” the woman asked Mina.

Mina just stared at her hands. She didn’t know how to explain her situation. If she told the woman about what happened with Kyungsoo, the woman would be scared and would not want to rent her the room.

“I-I” Mina stuttered.

After thinking about how to explain it for a while, she told the woman these simple words, “I asked to be disowned from the family, because I couldn’t take the kind of life rich people live anymore. It was bothering my conscience”

The woman simply looked at Mina confused but tried to understand her. What the woman understood was: “Something happened between my father and I, sacrificing the money is better than having to live with that burden”. The woman’s thoughts weren’t very wrong. The woman felt sympathy for Mina so she decided to make an ultimate decision.

“I’ll let you live here, It’s going to be tough living on your own you know. I’m Mrs. Nam by the way, please call me by that” Mrs. Nam asked Mina. She stood up and put on her apron.

“I’m going to be cooking dinner, if you need anything come ask me. Are you going to need help moving in?” Mrs. Nam asked her. Mina shyly looked at the ground and looked up to look at Mrs. Nam.

“Thank you so much for allowing me to live here, and well I actually don’t have much. I’m going back to the hotel to get them. I will be back” Mina said and unconsciously bowed.

 She arrived at the hotel, checked out and grabbed her small bag of clothes. She sighed but tried to put a small smile on her face.

The thoughts of Kyungsoo would not leave her alone. She wondered whether Kyungsoo had been sent to another side of the world or if he had been killed. She almost puked at the thought of her father killing Kyungsoo. She couldn't imagine her father killing anyone though, her father was a horrible man and evil but killing wasn’t one of his methods. She shook the thought away and prayed for Kyungsoo. She arrived back at the small home. She smiled for that would be her home as well.

She entered the house, the smell of homemade food had filled the entire house.

“You’re back so quickly?” Mrs. Nam asked. Mina entered the room and held up her bag for Mrs. Nam to see.

“This is all I got Ms. Nam”

“That’s IT?” she gasped and walked up to Mina. Snatched away Mina’s bag and looked inside.

“But child, how are you planning on living with this? No mattress? No pillows?” Mrs. Nam said getting concerned for Mina. She handed Mina back her things and went to one of the closets. She took out two pillows and a big blanket.

“If you need anything else let us know okay? As a matter of fact, please eat dinner with us okay?” Mrs. Nam said and smiled at Mina for the first time. Little by little she was seeing how humble and true Mina was.

“It won’t be a bother?” Mina asked.

“Not at all, go get settled in. My children will be arriving soon” Mrs. Nam said and headed back to the kitchen.

Mina hurried to her room and placed the blanket on the floor and the pillows and laid down. The floor was not comfortable at all. Yet Kyungsoo had made it seem so comfortable back at his home. She heard the front doors open and felt the foot steps of the person entering.

“Mom! I’m home!” the voice yelled out. It was that of a guys.

Mina’s P.O.V

“Give me your, give me your give me your attention baby” the guy sung as he walked across the hallway. I couldn’t hold back a giggle.

“I gotta tell you a little something about yourself” he sung. I had to admit he had a beautiful voice, Kyungsoo’s voice came to mind. This guy sung well, but Kyungsoo’s voice, there was something about it that made it more beautiful.

“MOM!” he yelled as he walked down the hallway again.

“Son, can you not talk so loud. We have a new tenant” the mom yelled back. I laughed to myself. They were both yelling so loudly, even if they were talking softly I would probably still hear them.

“Already? That was fast” her son said, but this time much softer. He went into the kitchen and I could no longer hear their conversation. The family appeared to be Korean, just like Kyungsoo’s, however they were so different. Mrs. Nam’s English pronunciation was excellent. I continued trying to set up my so called room. I hung up the clothes I brought with me and began to write a list of all the things I needed.

My list went as follows:

Toothbrush

Toothpaste

Shampoo

A bath sponge

More clothes

A small couch/ bed

More blankets

A mini fridge

A small portable elective stove

Some food

I sighed. This seemed like a lot to buy and for the first time in my life, I actually had a budget. I was about to get up when I heard a knock on the door.

“Ms. Winters the food is ready” Mrs. Nam informed me.

“Who’s Ms. Winters?” another voice asked. It sounded that of a younger girl’s.

“Our new tenant” Mrs. Nam responded to her daughter.

I got even more nervous, I had to make a good impression. I stood up, brushed my hair and opened the door. Mrs. Nam and her daughter had already left to their kitchen. I walked into the kitchen slowly. The family had their eyes on me.

“Hello, my name is Mina. I’m your new tenant” I introduced myself and walked up to her son to shake his hand. He put his hand out and we shook hands.

“I’m Eric, nice to meet you” he responded politely and smiled.

I put my hand out to Mrs. Nam’s daughter but I got rejected. She simply crossed her arms and looked away. She seemed bothered by my presence. She looked around 11.

“Her name is Emi” Eric answered in her behalf. I nodded.

“Will Mr. Nam be joining us?” I asked Mrs. Nam, she shook her head.

“He’s working right now and won’t come out until later, here’s your plate” she replied and handed me my plate of food.

“Thank you” I responded and set the plate down in front of me. I began to look for the numerous silver ware. That’s when it hit me, I wasn’t at home.

“Let me get you a fork” Eric said as he probably noticed my confusion. He got up and brought me back a fork.

“Thank you” I said and smiled.

His little sister looked even more irritated. While we were eating, I decided to ask Mrs. Nam a question.

“Mrs. Nam?”

“Yes?”

“Do you know if there is a store nearby where I can buy some things I need?”

“Like a Walmart?” Eric asked. I looked at him even more confused.

“A Walmart?” I replied back.

“You know, where they sell a lot of general things like food, medicine, clothes, furniture etc” Mrs. Nam further clarified. That’s when it hit me.

“OH! Walmart as in the Walton's family retail department stores?” I asked finally understanding what they were referring to. Eric and Emi looked EXTREMELY confused this time.

“Walton’s?” Emi asked.

“Yeah, they are the family that own the company” I answered and that’s when it hit me. They had no clue who I was talking about for they had never met the family before and they weren’t aware that I came from a wealthy family.

“I read it on Wikipedia” I lied. As soon as I said that they both nodded, Eric still looked skeptical about it.

“Do you need to go get some things?” Mrs. Nam asked. I nodded.

“Well, I’m going to Walmart later on, you could come with me” Eric added.

“May I?”

“Sure, it’s no bother” he said and smiled.

“Well in that case, I’m coming along as well” his little sister replied with a tone. I could sense some jealousy coming from his little sister. She had nothing to worry about, I wasn’t planning on stealing her brother. I got up and was about to go wash my plate when Mrs. Nam stopped me.

“Leave the dishes to me, go get ready” she kindly said. She took the plates and began to wash them herself.

“Thank you for everything Mrs. Nam” I said and unconsciously bowed again. I excused myself from the table and headed out to my room. My room was dark and was being illuminated by the moon. I walked up to the window and looked at the sky. The moon brought some comforting feeling to me. Knowing that where ever Kyungsoo was, he was still seeing the same moon. If only he would send me a sign, a sign that he was okay. For right now, the only thing I had was the moon and the stars. Just knowing that we were both seeing the same moon and stars made me feel like we weren’t so far away.

***

Author's Note:

Hello once more! To all of you waiting to see Kyungsoo again, I promise 2 more chapters, please bear with me two more chapters and he will back. I have to write all this background info for right now, but he will be back!

Love you all,

The Author

P.S If anyone wants to hear what Mina heard when she heard Eric sing, click here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FED3dXinYe8