Lonely Winters

The Library

Mina finished reading The Book Thief in tears.

"What a horrible book!" she mumbled but then that's what she always said when she finished a book. It was her way of trying to get over it.

After she stopped crying she sat down in the kitchen of her lonely home and ate some light cereal by herself.

"Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo, Owl Eyes" she whispered. The only person she "knew" in the new city.

She finished eating, washed her bowl and went upstairs to change. She wasn't very sure on what to do with her day.

I'll go visit Kyungsoo! she thought to herself and got ready. She tried a little extra harder to look nice.

She got onto her car and drove to the library. As she was about to enter she saw from far away a girl and guy talking to each other. As she got closer she realized it was Kyungsoo.

He has a girlfriend she thought to herself in disbelief. Her smile was gone.

She shook her head and continued walking. Trying to overhear their conversation as she passed by. She couldn't understand any of it though, since they were talking in Korean. She continued inside, dropped off the book and went through the aisles. Grabbing a sad book on her way. She went upstairs to the little corner seat by the window and sat down. From the window she could see them talking. She tried to concentrate and read the book but it was as if she had not read anything at all. The thought of Kyungsoo and the girl killed her and she didn't even quite understand why. It's not like they were even acquainted.

Just read. she reminded herself. Eventually she calmed herself down and caught herself intrigued by the book she was reading. So intrigued she didn't even notice Kyungsoo approaching her.

"Hello there!" he said tapping her shoulder. Kyungsoo was happy to see her but she wasn't.

She looked up confused but as soon as she saw who it was, she faked a smile.

"Hi." she simply spoke.

"What did you think of the book?" he asked excitedly.

Her pride was getting to her.

"It was horrible" she bluntly replied and proceeded to continue reading her book.

"Horrible, you say?" he asked shocked. The girl had to be kidding.

"Yes"  she replied.

"Hmp, if only my cousin would have stayed longer. She was just here actually. She LOVES that book. I would have liked to have seen your conversation with her about how horrible you thought the book was" he said and smiled. He looked over at her face to see her reaction. She looked as if she had been told a revelation.

COUSIN? DID HE JUST SAY COUSIN? Mina mentally screamed.

"I'll be going now" he said feeling a little bad about the fact she had not liked the book and seemed to have some attitude going on.

As he was about to go down the stairs Mina got up and yelled "Wait!"

She then remembered she was in a library and was supposed to be silent.

"Yes?" he said turning around. She felt so embarrased but she nonetheless got the guts to ask him to stay.

"Can you stay a little longer? C'mon there's hardly any people here today..." she pointed out and looked around the area. There was only one old man in a far away corner. Kyungsoo smiled and began his way back.

"I actually loved the book, I just like to say books are horrible so I can get over them faster...., It made me cry a lot" she admitted. Kyungsoo wasn't sure what was up with her earlier but she seemed to have returned to normal. He thought for a moment.

"I think it makes all of us cry and realize that we should be thankful of the situation we are in, right?" he said taking a seat next to her. She nodded.

"You know Kyungsoo, I'm a really lonely friendless person." she whispered. There was a silence between them, but it wasn't an awkward silence.

"I used to have friends, and a life. Ever since I moved here my only motivation is coming here...because well you're here" she managed to croak out.

"Don't take it the wrong way or get the wrong idea, but I enjoy your company" she said fixing her error before there was a misunderstanding.

He smiled.

"Well" he said and clapped his hands together.

"We need to do something about that loneliness and fix it. Likewise, don't misunderstand but would you like to hang out sometime?" he said and rubbed his neck. Feeling really nervous. He didn't even know where that courage to say such words  had come from. He wasn't the type to be so open.

He looked at her expression. Her eyes had lit up and there was a smile forming on her face.

"Hang out? Yes!, Yes i'd love that!" she said excitedly.

He smiled feeling content.

"We should exchange numbers then" he said and handed her his phone, as she handed her phone to him. Kyungsoo thought her phone was odd but shook the thought away.They returned each other's phones and smiled.

He walked her downstairs. Checked out the book for her and she left. Mina was feeling butterflies in her stomach and she was happy for once.

"Bro, how in the world did you make that girl fall for you so easily?" the geeky acne filled teenager asked Kyungsoo.

"Steve, what makes you think she likes me? We're just friends! We just met" Kyungsoo denied.

"Dude, it's so obvious she doesn't come to this library to see me...although i'm undeniably HAWT." he said and touched his face.

"Ya, Steve!"

"Alright, alright but yeah bro she comes in all happy and looking for you. She greets me and everything but it's so different...I don't know, but whatever it is...you have to teach me!"

"Alright Steve, whatever you say" Kyungsoo replied as he looked for her contact.

Mina Winters :)

read her name.

He smiled, he had not been interested in someone in a long time. Many girls had tried to get into his heart but had failed. What was so different about Mina?