Chapter 89

False Awakening

            “Don’t cry.” Taemin told Jongin as they stood before customs, wiping the younger boy’s dampened cheeks with his sleeve.

            “I’m not crying…”

            “You’re bawling your eyes out.” Wrapping his arms the boy’s neck, he kissed him, lips finding the side of Jongin’s nose.

            “Taemin, we have to go now.” Minho reminded him, struggling with all the bags and suitcases.

            “Right, okay. I’ll call you when we land Jongin, so don’t worry. Ruki will take care of you.”

            The eldest boy smiled, grabbing Jongin’s arm in agreement. “Yeah, I will. Now you two get going. Go be a happy married couple together.”

            “Thanks.” Taemin smiled. Giving Jongin one last kiss on the cheek, he waved to the pair, taking his belongings from Minho’s hand and walking off. “I’m going to miss them.” He sighed.

            “Sure you will. They’re your friends. But you know what? I’m your husband, so let’s enjoy a week together where our schedules don’t revolve around anyone else.”

            Chuckling, Taemin nodded. “What are we going to do in our free time after we’ve done everything we planned?”

            “Mm… I wonder. We’ll be really happy and excited from the day, but even though we’ll be a little tired, we’ll still be running on adrenaline. Then there’ll be the bed, and just us alone because Jongin won’t be there with us… I don’t know. We’ll probably knit.”

            “Knitting in the ?”

            “Who said we need to take our clothes off?”

            “Me.”

            Minho loved his husband’s sense of humour almost as much as he loved his husband.

            With that thought in mind, they got on the plane.

 

 

 

 

            “Minho…”

            “Yes, Kitten?”

            “I’ve never been on a plane before. I’m a bit scared. We’re going to be taking off soon, aren’t we?”

            “Just hold my hand, okay? It’s nothing to worry about.”

            So Taemin did.

            His grip only grew tighter and when they were told to prepare for takeoff, he probably lost his breath.

            “Kitten, I’m here. I love you so much that nothing bad could possibly happen, got it?”

            “Got it…”

            Biting his lip, he wished time could fly by, both figuratively and literally.

 

 

 

            Looking towards his husband, Minho laughed. Here he was only twenty minutes earlier, freaking out and nearly in tears once the plane’s engines reached their loudest roars, and now he was soundly asleep, snoring, a little drool escaping the corner of his lips and forming a puddle on the elder’s sleeve.

            Geez, Taemin was so cute.

            Stealing a kiss from the blonde’s lips, he nuzzled into his golden locks, deciding now was probably one of the few rare chances to get such an adorable photo. Taking out his phone, he wrapped his arm around Taemin’s shoulder and posed with a peace sign, smiling as he snapped it.

            Everyone would be so jealous when they see it.

            Out of all the people in the world, Taemin picked him.

            Lifting the armrest between them, he shifted into more of a cuddling position, giving in to his heavy eyelids as well.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

            “Carry me…” Taemin pouted, whining as he refused to take his luggage, clinging onto Minho instead. How was he supposed to reject his precious, little kitten?

            “But sweetheart, I can’t possibly carry you and all of our things.”

            Watching Taemin walk up behind him and attempt hopping onto his back several times until giving in to frustration, his heart was definitely won over. Still, his heart and physical capabilities were two totally different things.

            Spotting a trolley nearby, he’d find a way.

            “Wait here.” He told the boy, leaving their things to grab one of the metal carts. Pulling it back to his lover, he began stacking all the things on top of one another, satisfied when everything balanced itself out. “This works, doesn’t it, honey?”

            Cracking a smile, he was met with the most inanimate figure around, a boy that tried finding any way to fall asleep while still standing on two feet. “How do you manage to keep your drive in one piece for hours on end during a school night but then get this cranky when your nap is interrupted halfway?”

            Crouching down, he accepted the heavy weight that fell on him seconds later, thighs effortlessly attempting to squeeze around his waist, feet dangling.

            “You better love me a lot for how good I am too.” He joked. His laughed died when he heard a quiet, ‘I love you more than life’ whispered into the skin that covered his neck.

            Shivering, he walked towards the exit.

 

 

 

            Calling a taxi over was a mission. Not only was it difficult to find an empty one outside of a busy airport, but he definitely didn’t speak French, German, Romansh, or Italian. His English was still well under development, simple phrases being the only things he mastered.

            After putting Taemin down and twenty minutes of anxiously waving around, he finally managed to catch a driver’s attention for better or for worse.

            Parking up beside them, he popped open the hood, saying something Minho didn’t understand and pairing it with a gesture that had his thumb stabbing in the direction of the trunk.

            Nodding, he managed to fit everything in somehow, but just like with the trolley, it was a giant game of Tetris that required precise placement and angles. When that was accomplished, he went back to his lover.

            Opening the door for the blonde, he softly slipped him into the seats, making sure the sleepy boy didn’t stumble. Buckling him in, he closed the door and walked around to the other side, sliding in himself.

            “Can you… take us to this… hotel, please?” He managed, passing the driver a piece of paper with simple, neat letters stating which hotel they’d be staying in and its address.

            Nodding, the man left the paper on his dashboard, plugging the letters and numbers into his GPS, and finally exiting onto the nearest highway.

            It wasn’t until halfway into the drive that Taemin began peeking from behind his heavy eyelids. His eyes seemed locked onto the things passing by behind the window as he slowly registered that nothing resembled home.

            “Did we land?” He whispered.

            “Yes, Kitten.”

            over his dry lips, he stretched, leaning up to kiss the handsome man that made his dream vacation a reality.

            “Thank you, honey. I love you a lot.”

            “I love you a lot too.”

            “Don’t be too tired tonight, okay?”

            “Why?”

            “Good boys need to be rewarded.” Taemin found himself laughing. He wondered if his quiet voice even reached the elder’s ear. If a reply didn’t tell him, Minho’s reddening face definitely would.

            “Y-yeah… I’ve been a really good boy…”

 

 

 

 

 

            They dropped their luggage off at the hotel and were in the process of changing into something much warmer.

            “I feel like it’s winter again. It’s pretty chilly, isn’t it?” Taemin asked, looking out the window at the streets that resembled a storybook. When he heard springs creaking, he turned around, watching Minho fist the bed while he sulked. “Honey, what’s wrong?”

            “This bed… the mattress a bit harder than our mattress back at home.”

            “Is that bad? You know, your mattress in your old house was pretty hard compared to the one we have now. Since you’ve slept on a hard mattress before, you should be able to sleep on this one too without much trouble.”

            “N-no, it’s not really about me, I’m fine with it. You’ve always had a soft bed though. That’s what you’re used to. If we- my point is I’m just worried that you’ll be sore in the mornings. Too sore to do anything comfortably, you know?”

            “It won’t be too bad. As long as I sleep on some blankets, I’ll be okay.”

            “Y- well yeah, but when we’re using it for… things other than sleeping, you might be a bit sore.”

            “Then I guess we’ll have to only use the bed for sleeping for the next week.” Taemin decided. He was really hungry and anxious to try all the foreign foods this city had to offer, so of course he wasted no time grabbing the jacket he thought he wouldn’t have to touch until next winter.

            “What’s that supposed to mean?”

            “What do you think? Hurry up, I’m hungry!”

            “Take that back!”

            “Hyung, I want to eat.”

            “Why are you calling me ‘hyung’? I’m your husband, not your hyung! And take what you said back!” Minho groaned, smacking Taemin’s arm as he walked by, searching for the younger boy’s attention.

            “Take what back? What do I have to take back so that we can go eat?”

            “The thing about the bed…”

            “That you should sleep fine on it?”

            “That we’ll only use the bed for sleep. This is our honeymoon after all.”

            “Honey, why is that such a problem? I think food is higher on our priority list.”

            Taemin was being unfair.

            Taemin was being unfair and Minho didn’t like it so he turned his back to the boy and fell face forward onto the bed, burying his face in the sheets.

            He would have continued to huff and mutter more if a weight didn’t drop itself on his back, cutting his lungs off from oxygen for a few, short seconds.

            “Honey, I’m hungry. We can’t make love on an empty stomach, okay?”

            “Okay…”

            “Great, so get dressed. I’ll leave and eat everything by myself if you’re too slow.”

            Smirking, Minho nodded.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

            “Maybe when we retire, we can move here.” Taemin said, his eyes glued to all the fairy tale resembling structures. “What do you think about that?”

            “I think that’s a long way away.” Minho answered. “Let’s eat here.”

            Following Minho’s pointed finger, his eyes landed on what seemed like a large restaurant. There were many people inside and when someone walked through the door, they were bombarded with a delicious scent.

            “We’re definitely eating there. Let’s go in. Ah, but how are we going to order? I don’t speak English at all…”

            “I’ll… try my best.”

            “Thank you, honey. Good luck.”

            Entering the devilishly scented room, both of their stomachs growled. When they were approached by a waiter who said something neither of them understood but both had an idea of, Minho raised two fingers and they were led two a table for two. They received two menus alongside two glasses of water and some time to decide on what they want.

            All Taemin could do was to sigh, surrendering to the language. “I have no idea what any of this is. The pictures look good but I don’t even know what’s in all this stuff.”

            “Let’s just… Ah, I don’t know.”

            The waiter came back moments later, ready with his notepad.

            “What can I get you two?” He said in English that barely had an accent.

            “What… would you… recommend?” Minho managed.

            “Hm… Berner Platte, Älplermagronen, Zurchergeschnetzeltes. They are all very delicious.”

            He looked at Taemin, leaving the blonde blushing at his inability to communicate. He pointed back to Minho, redirecting the conversation to somewhere where it would actually progress.

            “Is it… possible to have… all of the three?” Minho asked.

            “All three? That would be a lot of food. It would count as three full meals. Of course you could always pack it up and take it to go.”

            “We would like that.”

            “And to drink?”

            “Water is okay.”

            Smiling, the waiter nodded. “Alright, then I’ll be right back.”

            When they were alone, Taemin reached over and squeezed Minho’s hand. “Good job, baby. You’re so smart.”

            “Are you kidding me? I messed up so much… my accent is horrible and I barely knew what to say…”

            “You did better than I could. Minho, we’re going skydiving tomorrow, right? And a bunch of other stuff too? I’m really excited! I’ve always wanted to do that.”

            “I’m really worried about that… I wouldn’t do it or even consider it if it wasn’t something you really wanted to do… I don’t like extreme sports.”

            “Well then I’m glad I married you because no one else would consider it just because of me. I love you.”

            “I love you too, Kitten.”

            Smelling their food being brought from across the room, their hearts must have flipped.

 

 

 

 

 

 

            Hand in hand and with full stomachs, the couple decided to spend their first, leisurely day walking around and visiting shops of all kinds. There were vintage shops, there were clothing shops, there were pastry shops, and several shops with cheese. Of course they stepped into all over them, spending a few dollars here and there which ended up being quite a bit when they bunched it all together.

            They were also surprised to see a few other gay couples walking around freely.

           As a same couple in Korea, they were lucky to have fallen into the open minded group of friend they did. Although the idea of homouality was a little more acceptable now than before, people still chose keeping their orientation a secret as fast as if it was a matter of life and death.

            Here, everyone seemed really open about it. It was different. It was nice.

            For once, Taemin didn’t feel like he had to watch his surroundings when holding his husband’s hand.

            “Minho?”

            “Yes?”

            “What does it feel like to be married?”

            “Married?”

            “Yes.”

            “It feels like… Hm… that’s a good question. I guess it’s like when you’re eating cookies or candy or something out of a bag or jar, and you think you’re eating the last one, but then there’s one more. Except that feeling lasts forever, not just when you find that last snack.”

          Taemin looked down at their feet, noticing how they walked in synchronicity. “Honey, that makes no sense.”

            “Well then what does it feel like to you?”

           He never really thought about it until the question came out of his lips seconds ago, so he didn’t really know. Maybe he didn’t know because it didn’t feel different?

            “It’s… kind of the same, I guess. I don’t think it’s changed much. I guess my fourth finger feels a little heavier.”

            “Ah, how unromantic.” Minho chuckled.

            But it was romantic. Maybe not that specific statement, but their relationship, all these years, they were definitely just as romantic as when he first fell in love with the older boy, if not more so.

            “It’s like… Minho, It’s like… If my fingers were made of chocolate, and I could them, but they would never… lose the chocolate… you know? Plus, I can have chocolate whenever I want. Oh, and everyone sees the chocolate and they’re all jealous because they want to have the chocolate, but it’s mine and no one else can have it and it kind of makes me happy that they’re jealous because no one’s ever been jealous of me before.”

            Amused, Minho nodded. “Isn’t that exactly like what I said? Marriage is like eating your favourite food forever?” He didn’t bring up the part about Taemin being happy that people were jealous about Minho was his, but it made his heart beat a little faster than it usually did.

            “Yeah but no, it’s different. I can’t put it into words. I think I’ve reached my limit of how much I can love you by now. I think I’ve reached it a long time ago, but… I guess there’s more of a sense of oneness. Just- you know what, don’t put me on the spot! I asked you first!” The blonde pouted.

            Interlocking fingers, Minho kissed the top of Taemin’s head. “Let’s go to the park over there. I want to take pictures of you.”

            “Don’t you mean with me?”

            “Hmm… Well, I have you with me this whole time, but you won’t always be standing in front of that specific statue, right?”

            “Neither will you.”

            “I guess you’re right. Okay, we can take some together too. I just… love taking photos of you because you’re so photogenic and aesthetically pleasing and you’re just a photographer’s dream come true.” Minho explained in a tone far more stranger than usual, one that seemed like someone trying to cover up some sort of strange or avoid the truth.

            “What about a photographer’s wet dream come true?” He teased, earning a blush.

            Minho’s blush was cute.

 

 

 

 

 

            They wandered through the parks nearby their hotel. There seemed to be plenty and all of them were beautiful. Not like Seoul which resembled more of a concrete jungle than anything.

            “Smile.” Minho would say as Taemin effortlessly posed in front of beautiful gardens and trees. He’d pose in front of statues too, feeling happy when the elder’s lips turned upwards.

            “Do you love me, Minho?”

            “Why would you doubt that?”

            “I don’t doubt it, I just like to hear it.”

            “I love you, Taemin.”

            “Minho, did you know that when I went shopping, I was recognised from the underwear ads we did?”

            “No I didn’t. Yesterday?”

            “Yeah. They were a group of photography students on a trip in Seoul to take nature and city photographs or something. I think they were from a few hours away, I don’t remember where. Anyways, they thought I had a sister which did the girl photos with you. Little did they know, you like putting me in tiny pieces of clothing and makeup.”

            “That’s not true.” Minho whined, but that didn’t mean Taemin had a hard time turning him on while he wore stilettoes and a dress. So maybe it was kind of true. “So what did you say about the ‘girl’ in the photos?”

            “I told them it was me. I also told them that you’re my husband. They wanted us to come in for a photography lesson or… maybe it was a session. I don’t really know how your major does stuff, I’m not even in college yet, but they wanted to do it this week and I told them I couldn’t because we were on our honeymoon.”

            “That’s a lot to say to strangers.”

            “I know,” Taemin laughed, “Jongin urged me to say everything though.”

            “Rumour confirmed,” Minho began, angling the camera in dramatic ways as he danced around his fiancé, pretending to take photo after photo, “Famous model Lee Taemin is in a serious, homoual relationship with fellow not-so-famous model Choi Minho. Couple spotted in Geneva, Switzerland enjoying what seems to be their honeymoon. Photos depict the couple kissing and holding hand.”

            Giggling, Taemin walked towards his lover in a straight line, cupping his cheeks and stealing a slow kiss. “You’re silly.”

            “Baby?”

            “Yes?”

            “We should go back to the hotel. It’s dark now and we need a lot of energy for tomorrow. We don’t want you to be as half-conscious as when you got off the plane, do we?”

            “We don’t.”

            “Then please take my hand, sweet prince. I’ll show you the way home.”

            Taemin blushed, looking towards the romantic gentleman in front of him. “Home is wherever you are, honey.”

            “Then follow me and I’ll take you somewhere warm and cozy with a lot of snacks and unlimited movies for the night. We can make that home until we wake up tomorrow morning. Does that sound good?”

            “It almost sounds as good as skydiving.”

            Reminded of the horrible events that would follow the next day, Minho wondered if his face represented how his churning stomach currently felt. He didn’t know how he’d survive jumping out of a plane. Still, he promised Taemin they’d do it, so he’d stick to his word.

            “It does, doesn’t it?”

            “We should get matching parachutes.”

            Snorting, he led Taemin back to the hotel, a week of craziness ahead. “We should.”