Chapter 81

False Awakening

Minho was asleep, at least until he felt a sudden weight drop onto his chest.

He was pleasantly surprised when he opened his eyes, blurry vision coming together into a clear view of his fiancé’s beautiful, thin, milky legs on both sides of his body. Christmas themed briefs tightly hugged the bulge that sat a few centimeters away from his face and if he had the energy this early in the morning, he would have tackled Taemin the first chance he got.

“It’s Christmas, baby.” The blonde whispered, slowly massaging the elder’s shoulders. “Do you know what else it is?”

He hated it because he had just barely woken up and Taemin was already scheming as to how he could spice the morning up, using his body. “Merry Christmas. It’s also our anniversary.” He managed.

“Merry Christmas and happy anniversary. You know, I was going to let you sleep, but then I just happened to notice that something in your dreams was making you really excited. Were you dreaming of me?”

“I don’t know… I don’t remember…”

“That’s not the answer I wanted.” The blonde pouted, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

Chuckling to himself, Minho pulled the younger boy down for a kiss, feeling the lips turn from a pout to a pucker. “I was dreaming about you and your perfect, little body in a Santa suit. You were riding my reindeer and giving me presents.”

“I was riding your reindeer, huh?” Taemin quietly laughed, getting way more comfortable than he should have been. “Honey, I said I’d bring fish but I don’t feel like frying anything… too much work…”

“What if you get Jongin to help you?”

“I want you to help me, Honey…”

Nodding, Minho stretched, his hand landing on Taemin’s cottony back, groping a shirt he recognized. “Are you wearing the shirt I bought the other day?”

“Yeah, but it’s too big on me so I’m not wearing any pants under it.”

“What a turn on.” Minho chuckled, fingers gliding along the younger boy’s thigh, confirming his lack of clothing.

“Are you going to help me?” Taemin asked, feeling the elder’s long fingers sliding their way up and down between his cheeks.

“I’ll help you, Kitten.”

“Now?”

“In a second. Oh! I just remembered something. I got a phone call late last night, right?”

“Yes, I heard you talking but I fell asleep.”

“Um, so I submitted my photos for my project, you know, the ones we took together on my birthday. Anyways, a guy who knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, who probably knows ten other guys somehow ended up seeing it while my professor was marking them and well, he wanted to know if we could do a photo shoot for their new look book.”

Surprised, Taemin sat up, slowly shaking his head. “What?”

“Well, at first they saw the photos of you as a girl with me and told me they’d pay us as a couple, but, um, for business purposes, I just told them that you’re my friend and you’re actually a guy. They said that they’d still be willing to pay us as a couple though, if you were to dress up as a girl again. It would be a lot of money for you and a lot of experience for me.”

“I… I don’t know…”

Minho nodded understandingly, sitting up and pulling the blonde into his lap, carrying him out of the room. “If you don’t want to, that’s fine.”

“I’ll think about it. Can you give me a few days?”

“Yeah, of course.”

“Hey,” Taemin began, being carried into the kitchen, “If Jongin didn’t live with us, do you think we’d be a lot more, um… we’d have a lot more…”

“?”

“Yeah. We already do it a lot but even then we still have to hold ourselves back because Jongin’s with us or he’s not sleeping.”

“Well, maybe we wouldn’t do it more but… I definitely wouldn’t hesitate to capture you and drag me to my evil lair at my command.”

“I don’t think that’s a difference at all…” Taemin mumbled underneath his breath, getting tickled as a result.

“Okay, so let’s get changed and fry some fish, Kitten.”

 

 

 

 

Although the day started off playful and lazy, the couple worked hard, getting food ready and outfits in check. While Minho was taking care of the final seasoning and taste testing, he told Taemin to go upstairs and get into his costume, so he did.

Taemin ran to their room, his things already neatly laid out from the night before. A long Santa coat hung near Santa shorts. The white, fluffy lining of the pants hovered just above Taemin’s knee, the red jacket falling mid-thigh. He finished the outfit off with red and white, striped, knee high socks, a Santa hat, mittens, and cute, pointed boots. Being a ball of red fabric and white fluff, he checked himself out in the mirror, satisfied. Minho would definitely be proud.

Jogging back downstairs, he used the softness of his shoes to sneak up behind his fiancé, squeezing the focusing boy’s waist.

“I’m done! Hey, look at me! What do I look like?”

Looking over his shoulder, Minho laughed, greeted by a tiny Santa that he wouldn’t necessarily mind going to bed to.

“What do you think, Honey?”

“I think you look adorable, Kitten. Give me a kiss.”

Taemin propped himself up on his toes, planting his lips directly onto Minho’s, giving him peck after peck until the pecking turned into deeper kissing and tongue got involved. It wasn’t until an extra pair of footsteps was heard growing closer that the blonde pulled away, looking towards the door with anticipation. When Jongin came into view, Taemin laughed and clapped, the smile on his face stretching from ear to ear.

“You look so cute! Come here!” He laughed, approaching his best friend and cupping his cheeks. “I bet you were an elf in your past life, weren’t you?”

Jongin chuckled, nodding. “I must have been, and you must have been Santa Claus.”

“I must have been!” Taemin raised his voice, nodding intensely. “That’s probably why we’re best friends in this life! Because we were so close before and you were probably even my most helpful helper that helped me when I needed help!”

Usually, Jongin would have laughed, but Taemin seemed so serious that it was a bit difficult to decide how he should react.

Luckily for him, Taemin’s expression significantly softened into one Jongin was much more accustomed to, a smirk and smiling eyes. “I’m not stupid, Jongin.”

“I wasn’t saying you were!”

“I know. Anyways, I’ll take over for you. You’re basically done, right Honey? Anyways, you go change into your costume and I’ll finish whatever needs to be finished, pack it up, and put it away until we have to go. Also, Jiyong will probably be here soon, or at least I think so. Either way, you’ve been helping me since this morning so go wash up and get dressed.”

“Alright, Darling. I won’t take long, I promise.” Stealing one more kiss on the cheek, Minho left.

 

 

 

 

Just as Taemin predicted, their guest came over within the hour. He was dressed in white form head to toe, small, poufy wings strapped on to his back. Taemin greeted him in the lobby, a hug as a hello and a hand to hold on their way up.

“I can’t stop smiling today.” Taemin admitted, pressing the button that marked their floor on the elevator’s panel.

“Why’s that?”

“Well isn’t it obvious? I can’t be the only one. I don’t know, I just love Christmas. The lights, the atmosphere, the costumes… everything about it is just so great. You know, I got dressed and looked in the mirror and thought that I was the cutest person alive, but then I saw Jongin as an elf and I thought that maybe he was cuter- no, he definitely was. Then Minho got changed into his reindeer costume and he looks so handsome but also adorable and cuddly! Now I’m seeing you and honestly, it just keeps getting better each time!” There was a slight paused before Taemin found himself reminiscing in the past two years, heart naturally fluttering. “And you know, two Christmases ago, Minho and I began dating, then last Christmas, we got engaged. Obviously there’s no next step for me to expect today, I mean, we can’t just get married to keep the pattern going, but still, I can’t stop myself from being as happy as I was on those past two occasions. It’s like all the memories keep flooding back on this one day every year. First, it was memories of friendship, then memories of dating, now it’s memories of being engaged… I couldn’t be happier.”

Taking a deep breath, he turned to face Jiyong. “Well maybe I could be a little happier if we won the lottery.”

Both of them laughed, exiting the elevator and heading towards the apartment.

They weren’t going to be hosting Christmas this year, but that didn’t mean that Taemin didn’t completely decorate every inch of their home for the occasion.

Honestly, Jiyong was both surprised and overwhelmed.

There were several gold Christmas trees in each room that complimented the little figurines and fake presents around them. Gold tinsel hung from the ceiling and walls, hiding the occasional Christmas light that shone through.

“You guys are really festive, huh?” Jiyong asked, noticing a gingerbread house with three gingerbread cookies, which resembled the house’s occupants, surrounding it.

“I know it’s not that big of a holiday here, but why not go all out?” Taemin laughed, “Oh, wait, there’s one more thing I want to do before we go lounge around in the living room. Hold on.”

Jogging into the kitchen, Taemin reappeared moments later with another cookie. “Since you were coming, I made one of you. You can eat it if you want. I made the icing strawberry flavour.”

It was such a small and simple thing but Jiyong couldn’t stop his cheeks from turning red and his face from heating up. None of his friend had ever been like Taemin, they had never put thought into any gift if they gave a gift at all. “If I eat it, it’ll be gone though…”

Laughing, Taemin shook his head, handing the gingerbread man to the elder. “If you like it that much, I can just make you another one.”

“Thanks… a lot.”

Now it was Taemin’s turn to blush, surprised by the serious stare his was receiving.

“It’s not really a big deal.”

“It is to me.”

Shrugging, Taemin took his hand and led him to the others. “Just eat it. I’ll bring you some to school when our break is over.”

“Hey, you know I’ll be finally graduating this year, right?”

“You know, you could have graduating a really long time ago if you just tried studying.”

“It’s hard to study when the only thing your friends are doing is robbing people and beating them up.”

“Well I’m glad you’ve been able to get past that now.”

“I’ve been meaning to ask you this, but I’ve been pretty embarrassed, um…”

There was a long pause and Taemin knew that their conversation would soon be interrupted by the other’s greetings. Trying to move along in the elder’s train of thought, he went on with a, “Yes?”

“My parents don’t really care so… I know you’ll be graduating too, but would you… um, would you be able to come to my graduation ceremony?”

Looking up to meet Jiyong’s shy eyes, Taemin felt a strange proudness fill up his chest, nodding. “Yeah, of course.”

“Thanks.”

Happy, the blonde spotted Minho on the couch, letting go of Jiyong’s hand to run over to his lover.

“Jiyong’s here!”

“I see, Kitten. Hi, Jiyong.”

“Hey.”

“Isn’t Minho just the cutest reindeer ever? Look at him! I could just kiss him forever!” Taemin said, leaning in for a kiss but being interrupted by the red, lit up nose. “Aw… Okay, well anyways, I’ll just go pack the stuff up. If Jongin comes in here, tell him to get ready.”

 

 

 

Within minutes, they gathered all the presents and food into their car, getting in and turning on the heat to protect themselves from the winter’s vicious chills.

“I don’t like when you drive.” Taemin whined from the front passenger seat.

“Why’s that, Kitten? Am I not a good driver?”

“No, that’s not it. Look at this space here!” Taemin said, stabbing his finger at the compartment separating their seats. “How am I supposed to- I can’t even sit near you, or, well, I can’t cuddle with you if there’s this much space between us and I can’t hold your hand because you’re driving…”

“We can cuddle and hold hands!” Jongin claimed, reaching forward into Taemin’s seat and slapping his hands down on the blonde’s shoulders. Taemin met the younger boy’s fingers with his own, interlocking them as he laughed. “Thank you, Jongin.”

“No problem. I’m always here for you.”

 

 

 

They arrived at the party not too long after, being greeted dozens of people, leaving Jiyong to feel a little overwhelmed. Although he knew Taemin’s friends weren’t anything like his, he didn’t expect this kind of group. He expected good-doing teens who dressed in sweater vests and ironed pants. He didn’t expect a room full of girls that looked like models and guys who looked like their looks and charm got them laid every night.

“Guys, Santa Claus has arrived!” Someone yelled, leaving everyone to cheer for the blonde.

Someone who seemed like he’d be getting any girl he wanted at the snap of his finger ran over, lifting Taemin up. “Hey, who looks like a y Santa?” Chansung cooed.

Taemin laughed, “I do.”

“Can I have a ‘hello’ kiss?”

“Isn’t it usually a ‘goodbye’ kiss? Besides, you should already know the answer.”

“Ah, but you know what, not only are you legal now, you’ve been with Minho for two years and there doesn’t seem to be any chance of you ever leaving him for anyone, so I feel better about flirting with you. Now that I mention the two years, congratulations.”

“Thank you. Oh, hold on, this is my friend Jiyong. Would you mind introducing him to the others? You’re a lot more talkative than I am.”

“Oh yeah, of course. Hi, my name’s Chansung!”

“Hey, I’m Jiyong.”

Boldly throwing his arm around his new friend, Chansung dragged him off, into the crowd. “So tell me about yourself.”

Taemin watched them disappear, smiling as he took the containers of food to the kitchen, Minho and Jongin took care of the presents.

With everyone in costumes and high spirits, Taemin couldn’t help but to feel like this could possibly be the best day all year.

Greeting the group in the kitchen, he talked with them for a little, learning that they were all culinary students. “Well keep going guys, I won’t stop you. I’ll look forward to the main dinner.”

 

 

 

The evening was lively and time flew by in what felt like an instance.

Everyone was dancing, drinking, enjoying the night as if it had just begun. It wasn’t until eleven when they all sat down to eat, the furniture removed from the living room and several circular, foldable tables which held five to ten chairs each.

Taemin decided that it began to feel like a dinner in some sort of banquet hall.

He sat at one of the fuller tables, comfortably between Jongin and Minho. He was happy to see Jiyong at another table, easily talking to the group he was with.

“I’m excited to dig in.” Taemin admitted, his hand unconsciously patting Minho’s arm as if the separation of a few hours was already wearing him down.

“Me too, Kitten. Here, I ate this before, my friend made it. Try some.” Taemin leaned back, letting his fiancé fill up his plate for him. “Eat it all, okay? Including the vegetables. It’s really healthy.”

“I’m not saying I won’t eat it.”

“I know, but when you don’t like something, you just pick at the food, and I’m telling you that even if you don’t like the taste, eat it for the health benefits.”

Pouting, he pinched the elder’s arm, but not hard enough to cause any pain, just to make a statement.

“I know you better than you know yourself, Kitten.”

“Will see about that when it comes to presents.”

“Who said I got you a present?”

Gasping, Taemin pinched his arm harder, earning a reaction this time. “I’m going to burn your present on the candelabra in the living room.”

The elder laughed, nodding. “Too bad for me.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Not too long after, it did end up getting to the time when presents were distributed and unwrapped, somewhere between the hours or two and four in the morning.

Everyone had gotten a handful if not more, including Jiyong who was an unexpected guest. It wasn’t until every gift was handed out that Minho decided to make his move. Among all the people, he looked for one specifically, and once he found him, he stole the boy’s hand, pulling him away into a nook spared from the volume of everyone’s chatter and laughter.

“Is your present something erted? Is that why I couldn’t open it there?” Taemin teased.

“No, I just wanted you to be all mine for the moment. No distractions!”

Smiling, Taemin followed behind him until they reached one of the hallways, away from prying eyes. When the time seemed right, Minho nodded towards Taemin. “You go first.”

For once, the blonde felt like he wouldn’t be outshone by his fiancé, like for once, he would be the one with the better present.

Pulling out a small box, Taemin handed it to the elder. “You know, I think I outdid you this time.”

Chuckling, Minho opened it, surprised when a silver neckless chain tied around a locket met his eyes. “What’s this?”

“Open it.” Taemin proudly instructed.

So Minho carefully did, popping the two sides open to see the very first picture the two of them ever took together. He didn’t even question in when his eyes watered up. “Wow, this… I didn’t expect this…” He tried laughing his tears off.

When he looked up from his gift, he didn’t think he’d see his gorgeous partner also trying to hold back tears.

“Don’t cry, Minho… you know I end up crying every time I see you cry…” The blonde told him with a quivering lip.

“You’re right… I’m sorry, Kitten. I just… this means so much to me. Can I put it on after I give you your present?”

Taemin nodded.

“Okay, well this is kind of… not… we can’t do it now, but we’ll be able to in a few months.”

“What is it?” The blonde asked, curious by the description.

“So I called your mom and asked her if there was ever a place you desperately wanted to go your whole life but haven’t been able to, and she told me, so I was thinking that maybe, you know, right after our wedding, we could fly over to Switzerland?”

Taemin’s eyes doubled in size as his jaw fell open. His hands soon came to his rescue, cupping his mouth while his head began shaking. “You didn’t…”

“I bought us tickets.”

Trying not to start bawling his eyes out, he punched the elder’s chest. “Why can’t you let me give the better present for once?! Why do you always have to… have to outdo me…” He was upset and he looked upset, but soon enough, his vision blurred, his tongue was tied, and all he could whisper was an “I love you” before falling into Minho’s arms.

“Hey, you can’t cry either… put my necklace on for me.”

The younger boy tried his best, closing the lock with trembling fingers.

“Honey?”

“Yes, Kitten?”

“Have you ever made Santa cry before?”

Minho laughed although his vision was also unreliable and his voice wasn’t as smooth as it usually was.

“No. Have you ever made Rudolph cry before?”

“No…” Taemin laughed.

“Then I guess we both did something unexpected today.”

Smiling, the younger boy wiped his cheeks dry, and pulled the elder in for a kiss.

“I love you so much.”

“I love you a lot too, Kitten. That’s why I put a ring on your finger. Happy anniversary.”

“Happy anniversary, Minho.”