Chapter 17

False Awakening

It had been two weeks since Taemin last saw Minho. Minho didn’t try to contact Taemin after that, but then again, neither did he. Ruki stuck around a lot for the next few days. He wished he didn’t blame himself because it wasn’t his fault. All he really did was help Taemin. Taemin was the one at fault because he was the one who had messed up and ruined his chance. He lost the enthusiasm he’d regained after meeting Minho, having nothing to look forward to. Although no one talked to him, a lot of people noticed. The bell rang, indicating the end of yet another endless period. He stepped out of class, shoulders slumped and head down. “Hey.” He kept walking, ignoring the voice until a hand landed on his shoulder and spun him around. His eye’s met that of Jiyong’s. “You don’t have to beat me up. Save yourself some time, I’ll just give you my money.” He sighed, digging in his pockets, searching for his wallet. “I don’t want your money.” Jiyong grabbed Taemin’s wrist, lowering the cash holding hand. “Oh, so you just want to beat me up? Fine. Just get it over with. I don’t want to be too late for class.” He dropped his bag to the floor, closing his eyes as he awaited the hit. Jiyong quickly picked the bag up just as it dropped, shoving it against Taemin. “Oi, what’s wrong with you?” Taemin grabbed the bag, throwing it over his shoulder as he furrowed his eyebrows. “What do you care?” Jiyong crossed his arms, trying to shrug the question off. “Well you know, it’s not fun ruining the day of someone who already seems like they’re having a bad one.” He tried. “Oh, please.” He began to walk away once more, being stopped again. “Seriously, though. I mean, I hate you but… What happened? Did your boyfriend dump your or something?” He joked but he was the only one laughing. “Woah, seriously? Man, listen I’m-” Taemin jabbed a finger to Jiyong’s chest. “No, you listen! If you’re not going to rob me or beat me up, just leave me alone!” He didn’t want to hear any more apologies from anyone. He just wanted to drop the topic. He journeyed down the long hallways, staring at rain mixed with snow slamming against the windows. He stopped and walked up to the panes, pressing his heated cheek against the cold glass. It was so cold lately, too cold. His body didn’t know where to focus the heat so he just ended up cold all over.

“I actually like the cold.”

“Why’s that Hyung?”

“Because it gives me a reason to cuddle up with someone. Like you.”

“Hyung, you’re so embarrassing.”

                Taemin blew a hot breath towards the window, fogging it up. He lifted his finger and began writing the Hangeul for a name he wished he could call out more often. He made his way down to his next class. His feet had felt so light for a while; each step faster than the previous, hoping that time would speed up along with them. What was he hoping for now? He was hoping for the day to end. Yeah, probably. For it to be over so he could just relive it again tomorrow until there would be no tomorrows left. Just like before. He didn’t wear makeup anymore and his hair was always down in his face, not brushed if he could help it. The only reason he still ate regularly was because Ruki came over and cooked to make sure it stayed that way. He started taking walks recently. He hated himself for it. He did it on purpose without wanting to admit it. He walked by Minho’s house when he knew he wasn’t home, walked by his school when he knew he wasn’t there either. His phone was at his ear as I dial tone buzzed. Taemin counted the seconds. “Hello?” The person on the other end asked. “Do you think he thinks about me? Even sometimes?” Taemin leaned against the ledge, looking into the courtyard. “Huh? Tae-chan? What are you talking about?” A student was coming in late, running with an umbrella in hand. “Do you think I’m on Minho’s mind as much as he is on mine? Maybe even just for one second, does he think of me? Wonder what I’m doing this very moment, if I’m happy, if I’m walking to school or home?” The person sighed. “Tae-chan, why do you think about him? Just try to forget about him. It’ll be better that way, right?” The sympathetic voice tried to reason. “You know, they say out of sight out of mind. I can’t see him, but yet he’s always on my mind.” Silence. “Tae-chan, do you want to go get lunch during your break?” He asked. “No thanks. Bye.” He hung up, sliding his phone into his pocket. The bell rang and he continued his way to class. He turned the knob on the door and had garnered the interest of thirty pairs of eyes, not counting those of the teacher. “Mr. Lee, you’re 2 minutes late.” The teacher had disappointment written all over his face. “Yes, I’m sorry sir.” The teacher slapped his ruler against his desk, bringing the class back to their work. “Lee Taemin, if this is how you’ll treat school, you’ll never amount to anything in life.” How long as he been told this kind of stuff anyways? He can’t remember. He walked to the back of the class, taking the last empty seat, settling in. Taemin took out his books and pencil like a good student, but that’s about as far as it went for him. Maybe he’d take the long way home today. If he was lucky, maybe he’d catch a cold too. He heard something small hit his desk and looked down noticed a green little teardrop hanging from his wrist. He took unclamped it and took it in hand, resting it in the middle of his palm. He raised it to his lips and closed his eyes, thoughts echoing through his mind. Why don’t I approach him first? Why don’t I go see him or text him. I’ve had so many opportunities these past two weeks… He caressed the crystal with his fingertips. Because I’m an idiot. That’s why. It’s probably too late now anyways, isn’t it? Still… I want to see him. He gave the gem a tight squeeze before slipping it into his bag.

                He was now in last period and the school was fully lit due to the darkness coating the building. The dark grey clouds covered the sky. The students were all chattering through the study period, their voices rose over the pitter-patter of the large raindrops on the school roof. A student turned towards Taemin, smiling as if he had a witty remark to make. “Hey Taemin, you look a lot like a girl. Does it feel just as good getting ed by a guy as it does for a girl?” A few students laughed. It took a second to register what the boy had said since he was dozing off. “Huh?” The student rolled his eyes, clearly annoyed with having to repeat himself. “Does it feel good taking it up the ?” Taemin almost chuckled, noticing how much more vulgar insults were becoming nowadays. “It feels great, really. An enjoyable experience.” The boy frowned, most likely expecting an embarrassed response. “You sick .” He turned back around and left Taemin to himself. Most of the kids always picked on Taemin in small ways like this but luckily for him, he didn’t have to expect a fist in his face around every corner. Thanks to Seunghyun, Jiyong, and their little posse, they were the only ones allowed to physically hurt him. And they didn’t hold back. Taemin watched as the last few seconds ticked away on the clock and true to the time, the buzzer rang. The whole class rushed off, either having to be home, in some private lessons, or just to be somewhere else with friends. Taemin on the other hand had no such plans and could leisurely take his time. He packed each textbook into his bag, nowhere close to a big enough size, and dropped it onto the floor. He fixed up his collar, pulling it into place with his fingers before he reached into the locker for his thin coat. It fit neatly over his thin frame, sagging a little over the shoulders. He zipped it up but didn’t bother doing the buttons. His hood was over his head with the strings tugged slightly to tighten it. He grabbed his bag and made it down the hall towards the staircase. Each one of his steps seemed to echo more and more the further he went down the staircase. I kind of feel like Alice in Wonderland. It’s almost like I’m falling down the rabbit’s hole. He giggled, surprised at the moment of happiness and adventurism found in this time of depression and emptiness. His eyes noted the several exit signs hanging from the ceiling that he hadn’t noticed before. Who needs this many signs to find the main entrance? There was a crowd blocking the doorway as per usual on a stormy day. “Hyekyu, share your umbrella with me! You’re so mean!” Many girls were squealing as if they were made of sugar and would melt from the smallest contact with rain. He walked past a crown into another on the other side of the door, huddling together under the small roof. His hands reached for something instinctively only to grab the air. Shoot. I forgot my umbrella… I didn’t check the weather this morning so it’s probably at home… He stood there for a few seconds, trying to figure out what to do. Coming to the conclusion that it wouldn’t kill him to get wet or rather soaked under the buckets of water that were now falling from the sky, he entered the rain, tugging his hood on a bit tighter. It felt refreshing from the high temperatures in the school but was a little too much when he stepped into a deep puddle and flooded his shoes. He was surprised that at such and early hour, the street lights would already be on, dimly. His began to shiver, wiping his sniffling nose on his quickly soaked sleeves with much discomfort. Looking around him now, he noticed everyone had an umbrella or two, with the exception of a few people running under backpacks or suitcases. He stood at the red lights, watching the sign at the other side of the street begin its neon red countdown from 20. The lights blurred in a light from green to orange to red until the people were finally allowed to cross to the other side. A few screams were heard from the somewhere nearby after what must have been a truck drove by, creating a large splash big enough to soak a group of passerby’s. He walked down a cozy lit up street with small shops. He slowed down, taken in by the warm yellow light that escaped through the clear walls of windows. His eyes flew from shop to shop, coming to a bright little bakery, making its small spot visible in the crowded area.

                Suddenly his feet slowed down until they froze just as some of the raindrops had on their way down to earth. Dark curly hair followed with large dark eyes that shot through him like a spear with pink lips sealed on a coffee mug and a freshly baked croissant. Although he was all the way across the street, he felt like he was right beside his biggest fear. The bright lips left the blank interior of the mug and curled up into a smile. A smooth wave of the hand followed and Taemin couldn’t find the power in his to do the same. Do… Do something. Wave. With enough persuasion, his body listened and obeyed, waving back. The tall boy turned to an approaching waitress and showed raised one finger. She nodded and walked back into the unforeseeable background. Their eye’s met once more and the boy waved his hand once more. Just as then, Taemin waved back but was replied to with a shaking head and another gesture in the person’s direction, motioning for Taemin to come in. After much hesitation, he looked down at his feet as he jogged across the moving street to the steps that led inside. He opened the door which unleashed much chatter to the weary outside where he walked over the empty seat supposedly designated for him, his hood coming off. He quietly pulled the chair out and removed his backpack, placing it in his lap as he sat down. He stared at his fingers until he was actually spoken to. “Hey.” He slowly lifted his face to level with the other persons, clearing his throat. “H-hi Hyung.” A silent click came from a cup of steaming hot chocolate placed in front of him on an aesthetically pleasing, small, white plate. “It must be raining cats and dogs out there, huh? Look how soaked you are.” Minho chuckled as his hand reached for a strand of Taemin’s separated wet hair. Taemin flinched as the warm and gently hand brushed against his cheek, a gesture once against unfamiliar but just as longed for. “Y-yeah. I was just on my way from school…” Taemin mentioned. “Through here? Isn’t your house the other way?” I was hoping I could walk by your school… “I decided to take a detour.” Minho laughed as he ruffled Taemin’s wet hair. “Bad day for that, isn’t it? So how was school?” Taemin blushed at the simple gesture. “It was okay. How about you, Hyung?” The older boy pointed to the camera placed on the table. “I was away for a week. Just came back yesterday. We went on a trip up north to photograph a bunch of traditional stuff. Pretty cool really.” After another sip of coffee, Minho nodded towards Taemin. “You’re not wearing it.” Taemin checked himself out quickly, trying to look for what Minho could possibly be looking at. “The bracelet.” Minho added, lifting his wrist as a green little bead swayed with each wiggle of the arm. Taemin’s eyes widened as if shocked. “Oh! No, I have it! It’s right here!” His hand flew into his bag looking for the leather bangle. He brought it out, bringing it close to Minho’s face as if to make sure the boy saw it. “You know, I haven’t taken mine off yet. It was your idea and yet you don’t even wear it? How disrespectful.” Minho teased. “No, I do too! I swear! I just took it off earlier today! I don’t even know why really, it just somehow ended up off my wrist!” Taemin went off on a tangent, trying to explain the reason for the small action. “I’m kidding, don’t worry.” Minho laughed. “Drink your hot chocolate. I’m treating you to it, so you better drink it while it’s hot.” Taemin nodded, lifting the cup to his mouth in a rush and attempting to drink it in one go. He ended up coughing as his throat rejected the drink, spilling some down the side of his mouth. Minho swiftly brought a napkin up to the wheezing boy’s lips, wiping the chocolaty drops dripping from his chin. “Aish Minnie, you’re like a little kid. What I’m I to do with you? I’m surprised you survived this long.” He laughed, cleaning the boy. Taemin looked away, mumbling inaudibly. “Me too..” After his face was as milky and clean as before, they locked eyes. “Hey Taemin, you know… Christmas is really close.” Taemin nodded, counting down the days in his head. “Yup.” Minho stared as if expecting him to build off of it. When he didn’t he went on. “Remember when we went to dinner? I asked you If your parents don’t come home for Christmas, would you like to spend it with me and my family. You never gave me a reply. Personally, I’d like to spend the time with you. I already mentioned it to my mom as she thought it would be great if you could join us.” Taemin almost completely forgot about that. “I don’t know… But either way, I’d really like to spend Christmas with you. If that’s alright!” Minho found the enthusiasm cute, leaning back into his seat. “Anyways, speaking of dinner, guess who I saw last week at the train station?” Taemin shook his head, shrugging simultaneously. “The little kid and his mom. You know, the one who was lost that night?” Taemin smiled widely, remembering the puffy ball of warm in his arms as they waited throughout the cold autumn night. “Oh really? That’s so cool! I’m jealous.” Taemin was relieved but the comfortable situation, not feeling anything close to awkward as their legs brushed underneath the table. It’s almost like nothing had happened that one night, like it was all just a terrible nightmare and Taemin had been avoiding Minho for no reason. “Hyung, can I see some of the photo’s you took over the trip? I bet it was really pretty!” Minho reached for his camera, turning it on as his face lit up. “Yeah, it was amazing. Come here.” Taemin left his bag on his chair, making his way around the table as Minho held him by the waist, sitting him down on his lap. He showed several pictures of different scenery. Each pixel seemed perfectly balanced with the other, each spot blurred to perfection when necessary. “Hyung, you’re so talented!” Minho chuckled, bouncing the boy up and down with his leg. “Thanks. Next time I’ll bring you along. I actually have to get going now. I have to have these all edited for tomorrow. It’s a lot of work. It’s hard though when I have to pick between you and school.” He laughed. Taemin looked shocked, smacking the taller boy’s shoulder. “Wait, those weren’t edited?” Minho shook his head. “Hyung, you’re too talented. Go be a billionaire somewhere…” Taemin cupped his face in defeat before Minho held onto his waist as he stood up, bringing Taemin up with him. “Anyways, I have to get going. How are you getting home?” Taemin shrugged. “I guess I’ll run the fastest route.” They both readied themselves for the harsh rain, Minho with an umbrella in hand. “Wait, run? You don’t have any cover or anything? An umbrella or..?” Taemin looked towards Minho, his head swaying from one side to the other. “Then I guess I have no choice but to walk you home-” Taemin’s rapidly swinging head silenced him. “No, you really don’t have to!” He flinched as the handle of the umbrella smacked him on the head. “Relax, I want to.” He held the door open as they walked out.

                Once they had reached Taemin’s house, they had burnt through so many conversations, it was as if they had just seen each other yesterday. “You always walk me home, Hyung. I should start walking you home sometimes.” Taemin joked. “No way, I could be caught dead being pampered by someone younger than me. Now get inside before you catch a cold.” Taemin nodded, turning around as his name was called. “And Taemin,” Minho reached for his wrist, lifting it before dropping it once more to his side. “Next time I see you, you better be wearing that bracelet.” Taemin agreed happily, smiling. “Oh, and one more thing; I promise this is the last one! I’ll text you the Christmas stuff when I find out, alright?”
“Yeah.” They waved goodbye to each other and Taemin finally managed to close the door. He quickly flipped his bag inside out looking for his bracelet and permanently closed it around his thing wrist. He sat on the floor watching the jade teardrop before sighing, relieved as his face rested in his hands. “It’s a miracle.. I got a second chance.”

A/N: Yay? Reunited?