Chapter 37

False Awakening

                Taemin yawned, rolling over slightly before finding himself tied up in the sheets. It was still early morning. He was colder then he’d grown used to and he realised why when he saw Kai sleeping on the couch. He stretched and the fresh covers against his warm skin gave him chills. “Kai…” He whispered in a croaky, unused voice. The boy had his head buried into the cushions. “Kai…” He tried again. The younger boy groaned into the darkness. “I’m cold…” Taemin whined. “Get another blanket…” Kai replied. He kept on trying until it really looked like Kai wasn’t planning on moving. Sitting up, he searched for strength in his feet, standing up. It was even colder now that the covers were off. The clock across the room showed a number five followed by a one and a three. He was still half asleep while tiptoeing towards the couch. Grabbing the younger boy by the shoulders, he turned him so that he laid flat on the back. Kai peaked through his eyelids and watched as Taemin crawled on top of him. Resting his head on Kai’s chest, he regained the warmth he previously lost. Within a few hesitant seconds, the younger boy laced his arms around Taemin’s waist. He decided to pull the covers over him, the blonde already drifting into sleep. Taemin legs wrapped around one of Kai’s and it tempted the younger boy to do the same, so he did. His heart was racing as their limbs tangled, but Taemin probably couldn’t tell because he was snoring quietly and honestly it was really cute. “Do you even remember what I said yesterday, Taemin?” He mumbled to himself. Slinking back, he fell asleep as well.

                The next time he woke up, he was alone on the couch. He heard Taemin’s voice but he didn’t see him anywhere. The elder was humming and he’d occasionally giggle. He heard something sizzling on a pan. He decided to sit up, rubbing his eyes. Peeking over the couch, he saw someone, but it wasn’t just Taemin. Taemin stood in front of the stove, cooking something. Then there was Minho. He stood behind Taemin, holding him. He nipped at the blonde’s ear, earning a giggle and a gentle smack. “Stop it, hyung.” Minho chuckled, repeating the action. Taemin didn’t do anything about it this time though. “Can you make me lunch too?” He laughed, receiving a kiss on the cheek. “I would but I don’t have any containers to spare.” Minho shrugged; putting his hand over Taemin’s which was holding the handle of the pan. “I might have brought an extra container with that in mind.” Shaking his head, Taemin laughed. “Did you really?” The eldest nodded. “Then I guess I have no choice. I’ll cook something up, but don’t expect anything luxurious.” Minho whispered a ‘thank you’ into Taemin’s ear. “Wifely duties suit you.” Kai commented, finally sneaking out of the background. Both of their heads jerked around and when they spotted him, they seemed to pull away automatically. “You guys are really close.” He added on as he walked towards the counter and took a seat on the stool. Taemin just smiled, looking towards Minho. He was blushing. Kai envied Minho a lot since he first noticed his closeness to Taemin. They seemed to be closer than any two friends he’d ever seen. “Minho, go get whatever you brought and bring it over here.” When Minho walked off, Taemin approached Kai with a loaded plate. “Eat up; we have to get ready for school in a while.” Kai agreed, taking the spoon. “Why is Minho hyung here?” Taemin shrugged, fixing one of Kai’s stray hairs. “I’m not too sure. He woke me up with the doorknob a bit ago and said he wanted to stop by before he had to go to school himself.” Taemin looked at the countertop, smiling goofily to himself. “He’s really cute like that.” Kai placed his finger under Taemin’s chin and lifted it back up. “Do you remember what I said yesterday?” There was a pause before the elder bit his lip. “Yeah.” Kai nodded. “Are you thinking about it?” The moment Taemin released his lower lip; the younger boy ran his thumb across it. “Yeah, I am.” Resting his head on his hand he released him. “Please don’t tell Minho, okay?” Taemin nodded. “Promise it.” Kai asked. “I promise.”

                He pulled back when Minho approached again with a plastic box in hand. “I brought it!” He cheered, handing it to him. Taemin wanted to tell Minho. He wanted to tell him so bad.

                Taemin thought about it the whole day. He even decided to call Minho from the bathroom when he knew the elder had a break between classes.

                “What is it, Tae?”

                “Can’t we tell him?”

                “Can’t we tell who what?”

                “Kai. Can’t we tell him that we’re dating?”

                “Taemin, I told you I had a reason. Please trust me.”

                “It’s not that I don’t, it’s just- Can’t we?”

                “Minnie, please.”

                “Fine. I just don’t think this is that important right now.”

                “I love you.”

                “I love you too. Jerk.”

                “Cutie.”

                “Idiot.”

                “Irresistible.”

                “Stupid.”

                “Kissable.”

                “Stop.”

                “y.”

”Stop, stop, stop, stop!”

“Delicious.”

“Minho-”

“Touchable.”

“…”

“Hot.”

“Attractive.”

“Turn on.”

“Manly.”

“Addictive.”

“Deep.”

“Dirty.”

“Ngh…”

“Taemin, you want to stop by my place later?”

“Yeah…”

“You’re so adorable. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Ne.”

That summed up their conversation. When Minho hung up, he met an annoyed Heechul. “That’s gross. Was that Taemin? I can’t believe you violate him like that.” Minho chuckled. “It goes both ways.” Heechul smirked, amused. “Do you think I can borrow him for a night?” He received a punch to the side and took it as a no. “Well, you know, if I was an , I would’ve done it a while ago. I had him in my bed, I touched him too. How does that make you feel, hot shot?” Heechul teased. “Insecure. But at the same time, Taemin is really innocent and he doesn’t know how much better of a job I can do than you.” Minho caught Heechul checking his phone from the corner of his eye before the cocky elder smiled. “Funny you say that, because I just got a text from him. ‘Can I see you tonight?’ he says. Do you think it’s a sign?” Surprised, Minho checked the authenticity. “Well, I don’t mind. I trust him not to let a ert like you manipulate him.” He answered confidently. “Fine, we’ll see. Don’t be surprised to notice him a bit more stretched out next time you get close.” He got another punch, this one harder and with more of a purpose, just barely staying within the limits of ‘playful’. “Don’t say that stuff about him.”

Taemin explained that he had something to do after school and told Kai to just go home. He rushed out of the building before finding Minho waiting for him just as eagerly, a devilish smirk riding his lips. He possessively took the boy around the wait, tugging him closer as he led them back to his cozy abode.

The door shut and Taemin was lifted off his feet. He was carried across the room and thrown onto the bed where his small body bounced. Minho attacked his lips wantonly, hovering above him.

                Their physical interactions were very limited since Kai entered their lives because it was harder to get the other one alone.

                They continued to exchange a heated display of affection for one another, clothes growing scarcer and less efficient. Taemin moaned as Minho stripped his clothes off, tongue travelling across his body. Minho sat up to take off his own shirt with Taemin’s greedy mouth following. Their kiss broke for less than a second as Minho’s shirt was tugged over his head and thrown across the room.

                It was what seemed like seconds later when their lower halves were grinding against each other. Minho's intrusive fingers felt their way around Taemin's hole before entering, bringing on a whole new level of ecstasy. One finger had Taemin begging, two drove him insane. It had been a while since Taemin could be so vocal about the pleasure, so he used it to his advantage and moaned despite Minho's silencing lips. "Do you want more, Taemin? Do you want me to keep going?" Minho asked, one hand pleasuring Taemin from behind, the other tastefully along with his own from the front. Taemin nodded, gasping for air at the thought of more. "Then I'll make you feel good, okay?" He released himself from his grasp; align with Taemin's entrance. Taemin couldn't see, but he could tell by the shifting of the bed just what Minho was going to do. He sprung up immediately, placing his hands on Minho's chest defensively. "No, Minho, we can't!" the elder sighed in defeat. A single ‘no’ was all it took. He had tried this several times before and it always seemed to fail, no matter how hot and bothered Taemin was. "Minnie, what's the difference between three fingers and my ?" Taemin felt embarrassed by the wording. "There’s a huge difference! First of all, you're way bigger than three fingers! Second of all, it'll really hurt and I'm scared." Taemin tried to explain. Minho found his boyfriend adorable and he's glad he only got saw this side of him. "It only hurts for a short time. After that it's the best thing you'll ever experience. C’mon, it won't be so bad." Taemin shook his head. "Nuh-uh, not today... I just can't." Minho though, he thought long and hard before offering the next deal. "Then how about on your birthday?" he asked. "What?" he cleared his throat? "What if we go to the next step in your birthday? It's two weekends from now and that's more than enough time to get ready, right?" Taemin in his bottom lip at the thought of their bodies finally connecting. "Taemin, I promise I'll always take care of you and I'll never hurt you on purpose, okay? So don't be scared." He offered a soft set of kisses with Taemin slowly being laid down in the process. "Let’s finish up, okay? Then we can talk about what we're going to do for your birthday." Taemin nodded, Minho's playful hands beginning their teasing acts all over again until they both ended up coming on each other. Minho went the extra step by Taemin clean and Taemin felt like he could come all over again. "Taemin, you taste so good. I could eat you up all day. Maybe I won't let you go home at all. I'll just keep you here and make you feel great all the time." Taemin tossed his head back and he seemed to be hardening again rather than getting soft. "Minho... Stop..." Minho smirked, continuing his teasing as he on Taemin's perking . "I'm not done with you yet, Minnie."

What followed was another few hours of bodily fluids spilling and loud until the energy in both of their bodies was limited. They worked up a sweat in bed so they went to take a shower, a huge mistake Taemin later concluded as the just ended up going at it again. After leaving the steamy bathroom Minho dressed Taemin in one of his own far too big shirts before getting good clothes for himself. It was the evening now, the sky growing dark while Minho dried his lover's hair. "So what did you want to do for your birthday, Tae?" he asked, as promised. "I don't really celebrate my birthday, but I've always wanted to go to a cottage by the beach." Minho nodded. "Okay I'll get it done; just you and me." He laid a trail of kisses down Taemin's neck as he smiled. "Actually, I also wanted to invite Heechul, Ruki, and Jongin." The elder seemed displeased, shaking his head. “Why? Don’t romantic starlit nights and on the beach sound better than five guys hanging out at a cottage and ordering pizza for dinner?” Taemin giggled, getting himself prepared to leave. “We can do that too. Just grab me whenever you want and I’ll do your bidding.” Minho rolled his eyes. “You won’t let me touch you in front of others.” Taemin grabbed for the door handle, opening it as he stepped through. “I made out with you in front of all your friends for five minutes.” He reminded him. “Yeah but it was for free food.” Minho fired back. “Then I guess you know what to woo me with.” Minho chuckled, leaning in to give Taemin a goodbye kiss. “I love you.” He teasingly pinched Taemin’s cheek. “Aren’t you embarrassed that your neighbours might see you kissing another guy on your front step?” Taemin joked. “No, why would I be ashamed about having a good looking guy kissing me? They don’t have that. If anything, they’re jealous.” He explained, half-serious. “Bye, Minho.” Taemin said, smiling to himself as he went down the steps. “Bye.”

Instead of going home though, he texted Heechul. “Can I come over?” Within a few seconds, he go an ‘ok’ and made his way downtown.

A subway stop, bus, and elevator ride later, he stood in front of the black haired man.

“Taemin, long time no see.” He pulled the boy in. “I prepared some ice cream; vanilla.” Taemin gladly took his shoes off, skipping over to the table where he was greeting by a white bowl and cold treat. He mumbled a ‘thank you’ before digging in. “So what did you need? Unfortunately, you wouldn’t stop by for nothing.” Taemin nodded. “Yeah, I need someone to talk to.” Heechul raised an eyebrow, taking a seat across from him. “If you can’t talk to Minho, it has to be about Minho, huh?” Taemin ate some ice cream, enjoying the taste. “Yeah.” Heechul stole the spoon for a second, taking a bite. “Well what’s bugging you?”

Taemin explained everything that Heechul didn’t know about yet. How Kai is his close friend from his childhood, how he moved in and attends school with Taemin, and how Minho told him not to let Kai know about their relationship. He also told him about how Kai asked him out on a date the day before and how Taemin promised he wouldn’t tell Minho. Now he was stuck in some strange place between having a secret relationship with Minho and a secret date with Kai.

“I don’t understand why we can’t just tell Kai about it and clear this up. Wouldn’t that be so much easier?” Heechul processed the whole thing, taking the chance to feed the pouting boy. “I can see where Minho’s coming from though. If he had a suspicion that this would happen then it makes sense. Think about it, you can’t try to ruin a relationship if you don’t know it exists, right?” Taemin was confused, shaking his head. “I don’t get it.” He admitted. “Well, let’s use Jinri as an example. She was flirting with Minho and all over him but that was it, wasn’t it? Then when she found out you’re dating him, she came at you as well and tried to make you guys fall apart. Maybe Minho thought about this. She was pathetic but who knows how well your friend could do. Besides, Minho has insecurities. I’m sure being on the other side of the situation has made him realise how crappy it feels.” Taemin whined while Heechul took his empty bowl, going over to the sink. “So what do I do? I don’t want to go on a date with anyone but Minho! I only love him! I can’t tell Kai that though!” Heechul shrugged. “Well what’s the problem? Just tell him you only see him as a friend and that’s all.” Taemin shook his head. “You don’t need to like someone to go on a date with them or give them a chance to change your opinion… But I wouldn’t go on a date without Minho’s permission.” Sighing, Heechul came back. “God, thank the lord I grew out of the annoying drama stage. Okay, I have an idea, like everyone else in this situation aside from me; you’re only going to know half of what’s going on. Do you have your friend’s number?” He asked. “Who? Kai?” Heechul nodded as Taemin pulled out his phone. “Yeah. If you do, call him. Say you’ve agreed to the date and make the plans right now. That’s all you really need to do on your half, go on the date. Also, put it on speaker please.” Taemin swallowed, looking at Heechul questioningly before doing as told. He counted the rings as Heechul reached over somewhere, pulling out what seemed like a notepad and pen.

“Hello?” Kai answered.

“Hey, Kai.”

“Hyung, where are you? It’s too quiet without you. I’m lonely.”

Heechul snorted.

“I’ll be home soon, okay? Are you hungry? Have you eaten yet?”

“No, I wanted to eat with you. But it’s so late and I’m really craving some bulgogi.”

“Alright, I’ll make some when I get home.”

“You’re the best.”

“I know.”

Taemin got a rushing glance from Heechul, signalling him to get to the point.

“Ah yes, Kai, about the date.”

“…Yeah?”

“I’ll go.”

“I knew you’d say no, but I still- wait, really? You’ll go?”

“Yes, I’ll go. But we have to decide when and where now.”

“That’s weird- but I’m not complaining! Where would you like to go Taemin?”

“I like anywhere. You choose. I want to experience it as a date specifically with you, not something I could choose to do with anyone else.”

“I see… Then let’s go to the aquarium!”

“The aquarium?”

“Yeah, I’ve always wanted to go there really bad!”

“Okay, fine.” Taemin laughed, “When?”

“How about on Sunday? Sunday at one!”

Taemin was watching as Heechul seemed to be writing all of this down.

“Okay, that sounds great.”

“Taemin,”

“Yeah?”

“Thank you so much. Really. I didn’t think you’d say yes and I’m really happy. It feels like a miracle has just happened.”

Taemin’s heart felt like it was being stabbed from every direction and Heechul must have noticed because he began caressing Taemin’s cheek from across the table.

“No problem. I’ll see you when I get home, okay?”

“Ne. I’ll be waiting so don’t take too long!”

“Bye.”

“See you soon!”

He hung up and slid his cellphone back into his pocket. Heechul underlined every important detail several times, denting the ink soaked page. “What now?” He asked. “Well, now you’ll go home to your friend, and on Sunday, you’ll go through with the date. Simple as that. If anything changes, let me know as soon as possible, yeah?” Confused and unfortunately, slightly doubtful, Taemin nodded. “Alright.” Heechul pretended to wipe the frown off of Taemin’s face with his sleeve. “Trust me okay? Hee-nim will take care of everything. If you didn’t believe in me, you wouldn’t have come in the first place, right?” Taemin nodded, standing up and going to put on his shoes. There was a moment of silence before Heechul spoke up again.

“’You don’t need to like someone to go on a date with them or give them a chance to change your opinion.’”

“What?”

“That’s what you said, right?”

“Yeah.”

“Are you going to let Kai change your opinion?”

“…”

“Well?”

“…No. If I did, it’d be the biggest mistake of my life. I love Minho and if I don’t see him by my hospital bed 80-something years from now, I’ll know I messed up.”

“So innocent.”

                “I love him.”

                “I know, I never doubted you. Get home safely.”

                “I will. Thanks in advance for all your help.”

                “Don’t worry about it.”

                “Oh, wait! One more thing!”

                “What now? Is one of your other friends being deported and you need help stopping that too?”

                Taemin laughed. “No. My birthday is coming up and I wanted to know if you’d want to come to the cottage with me, Minho, Kai, and another friend? The details are still fuzzy, but we’re considering it.”

                “You know what? Sure, I’d love to. Tell me when you know more.”

                “I will.”

                “Good night.”

                “Good night.”