Chapter 41

False Awakening

                Taemin’s eyes were still shut when he felt the gentle caresses against his cheek. He turned over and his eyelids lit up with the sunlight hitting them.

                “Good morning, sweetheart.” He heard a husky voice coo. Peaking, his gaze met that of the handsome, tall boy’s sitting on the edge. “Happy birthday.” He added on, smiling. Taemin sat up to join him, receiving a slow, soft kiss. He glanced towards the door, noticing that it was closed. Next, his eyes fell to Minho’s lap where a tray stacked with food rested. “What’s all this?” He asked. “I made you breakfast. Well, I made some of the simple stuff. Anything that looks good was probably made by Ruki.” Minho admitted, chuckling. “Thank you. What time is it?” The elder shrugged. “Probably around eight.” Taemin nodded. “So when did you wake up?” He asked, receiving kisses as an answer with words in between. “I don’t remember. Whatever it was, it was earlier than I would’ve liked.”

                They both laughed while Minho raised an apple slice to Taemin’s mouth. He watched, satisfied, as the blonde’s plump lips shaped around the fruit. “God, you’re gorgeous.” He thought out loud, dragging his thumb over the thick lower lip. “I don’t think that’s what a boy should be described as. Manly, handsome even, but not gorgeous.” Taemin said with a glowing blush. He was hushed by a pancake drowned in maple syrup and whipped cream stuffing his mouth.

                “Tae, is it immature to say that I’m really excited today?” Minho suddenly began, “I think I’m more excited than anyone here and when I think about it, my heart pounds. Ah, jeez… I try to be mature but I feel like such a little kid…” Taemin bit into a strawberry as he let Minho have his moment to rant. “That’s really great hyung, but what are you excited about?” This time, Minho’s face was the one to heat up. “Tonight, Tae. I’ve been waiting for tonight since longer than you would even believe. I’m… It makes me really happy that it’s so soon, but I also grow more impatient from watching the hours, minutes, and seconds tick away. I can’t pull my eyes away from the clocks.”

                Realising it was so soon, Taemin’s heart began to pound. “Minho, I don’t know if I can-” The elder began shaking his head, cutting Taemin off mid-sentence. “No, Taemin, please don’t start saying this now… I’ve been so patient; I’ve been restraining myself every time I get you alone. You know how hard it is; pulling away while I’m between your legs, ready to push in?” Taemin shook his head. “Well trust anyone when they tell you it’s hard. But I love you, so I did it.”

                It probably was near impossible. Taemin couldn’t bear to imagine how it would feel like if all those times Minho touched him, he’d just stop half way. Really, he’d been making Minho put up with a lot and he was acting extremely unfair towards him, only getting what he wanted and stopping when Minho tried to get his share.

                “Minho, I’m really sorry for making you put up with my selfishness!” He apologized genuinely, looking down. He heard Minho laughed as the elder guided loose strands of his hair behind his ear.  “If I really hated it, I would’ve left or forced myself onto you a long time ago. If it’s you, I’ll put up with all the selfishness you throw my way.” Taemin giggled, “That can’t be healthy, hyung.” The tall boy raised an eyebrow, feeding Taemin. “Don’t complain. Also, hurry up and finish eating. I’ve planned out the day and I don’t want to waste any time ok?” He handed the tray to Taemin, standing up. “Everyone’s waiting you know, so get dressed. By the way, I’m pretty sure Ruki already picked out an outfit for you to wear today. I think that’s it.” He explained, gesturing to a pile of clothes, neatly folded, lying on the wardrobe across the room. “I’m sure he’ll be really happy when he sees you wearing it.” Taemin was stuffing his mouth, surprised that he was expected. He waved his arms in the direction of the door, gesturing for Minho to leave. “What?” Minho began, “I can’t watch you undress?” Taemin slightly choked, waving his arms more violently with his eyebrows furrowed from the embarrassment. “Okay, okay,” the elder chuckled, “I’ll leave.”

                With the door closed, Taemin rushed himself, quickly finishing his meal. As he munched down on some crispy toast held between his teeth, he glanced over the clothes set out for him. He wasn’t necessarily expecting something so simple and bright coming from Ruki, but he guessed it was what the Japanese boy thought suited him best.

                He set aside his breakfast, pulling on a striped shirt and white pants that he thought would look good rolled up to just below his knees.

                Catching a glimpse of himself, he looked towards the mirror. He twirled around as if he was a princess trying on her gown for the royal ball. Topping the look off with a matching white hat and flip flops, he went downstairs. Before he even made it half way down the staircase, he heard a loud thudding coming closer. “Tae-chan~!” A loud voice screamed his name in a dragged out way. “Tae-chan, happy birthday! Happy, happy, so happy birthday! Come to Ruki, hai?~”

                Before he could reply, he was engulfed tightly by two arms, lifted off his feet. “Tae-chan~ Happy Birthday! You’re growing up really fast, huh? There’s only one year left until we can get married! Only a year until I’m completely, legally, totally allowed to put a ring with a diamond the size of your thumb on your ring finger! Doesn’t that sound great?” Taemin giggled as he was lifted off the ground and carried down the remaining stairs.

                “The birthday boy is here!” Ruki announced as they entered the living room, met by everyone else. Kai’s smile lit up the room as he ran towards Taemin, taking the boy by the waist, stealing him from Ruki. “Hyung, happy birthday!” He swung the blonde around in circles as he hugged him tightly. “Oh! I have a gift for you and I want to give it to you now!” He was dropped to his feet, left to watch as Kai scamper across the room and into the kitchen where he rummaged through the cupboards. “Ah, here it is!” Taemin smiled, awaiting the younger boy’s return. “Wouldn’t later be a better time for this? I mean, I just woke up not too long ago and the day’s just started…”

                That didn’t seem to both Kai at all as he continued with what he was doing. To fill the gap in between, Heechul came up to him, offering him simple birthday wishes.

                “We’re leaving soon, okay? I said I’d teach you how to surf, didn’t I? It’s best to go when the suns not too bad and the waters not too occupied.” Heechul explained, nodding in the direction of the nearest window with a view of the waves. “If we do end up going then you’ll have to waste a lot of time just trying to teach me how to stand up.” Taemin joked. “Well then, the faster we go the better, isn’t it?”

                They were interrupted by Kai’s return, a grey bag with a popular albeit expensive brand printed onto the front. There was an awkwardness developing as Kai didn’t know whether to offer the bag and Taemin didn’t know whether to take it. “Hyung, can we go over there for this? It’ll only take a moment!” He took Taemin by the wrist, leading him just a little further away from the others than they needed to be.

                “Jongin, I don’t know how much you spent on this but you really didn’t have to spend a single dime.” Kai waved the thought off, shaking his head. “Stop it, okay? I know I didn’t have to but that doesn’t mean I didn’t want to!” When they stopped, he shoved the bag towards Taemin. “Open it, hyung. Come on, open it!” He rushed him, continuously tapping his shoulder. “Okay, okay, hold on a second Kai!” Taemin laughed.

                Taking out the thin paper, he noticed a box. It was also grey but a slightly different shade than that of the bag. He locked eyes with Kai, raising an eyebrow suspiciously and he took the box out. He lowered his gaze once more, popping it open.

                Inside rested something circle-like. Upon further investigation, he noticed it was a compass. It was very detailed in a simple kind of way. The main colour was a clean bronze but the shading done in and around the compass bearings was done with something fading into black. He also noticed a tiny screw and hinge on the side but couldn’t find any way to open it, wondering if it was just for decoration, although that seemed strange. He pulled it out of the box, revealing a long, matching, bronze chain.

                “It’s really pretty…” He commented, lifting it up to the light. “Do you like it?” Kai asked impatiently. “I really, really like it. It’s cool. Can I put it on right now?” Kai nodded, “You don’t need my permission.” Taemin handed the necklace to him, turning around. “Can you put it on for me?”

                Within a few seconds, he felt his blonde hair moved from the back of his neck, a cold metal falling onto his freshly revealed skin. “How much did it cost?” Taemin whispered, getting goose bumps from the sensation. “It doesn’t really matter. I thought it suited you and wanted to buy it.”

                “Fine, if that’s how you’re going to be about this, then I’ll just take it. Thank you.” He grasped it tightly in his palm before opening up his hand and admiring. “You should come surfing with me and Heechul. He’s going to teach me.” Taemin said, spinning back around to face Kai. “Oh, uh, sure, I guess I’ll tag along.”

                They walked back to the others, Taemin grabbing Heechul. “Let’s go!”

 

                He was hesitant, only submerging himself up to the ankles in the water not yet heated up by the sun. “Ah, Hee-nim, maybe we should wait for the water to heat up a bit?” Heechul shook his head, pushing Taemin further in. “Nope, you’ll get used to it. The faster you go in, the faster it’ll be over.” The blonde pouted, looking towards Kai who was dragging his own surfboard behind him. “What? You know he’s right.” The younger boy offered. “Aish, you’re such a bad dongsaeng!” He whined, moving an inch in. “I can drop you in again like yesterday.” Kai offered with a cocky smirk. “I’ll slap you if you touch me.” Taemin threatened. They heard Heechul chuckle in front of them, placing his board down. “Tae, get on my board.” He ordered, patting on it. Nodding, Taemin sat on the front half, trying to find his balance while Heechul climbed onto the back, standing up. “Hey Kai, have you done this before? You seem to be getting on just fine.” The two began directing themselves into deeper waters. “I’ve gone a few times.”

                When they got to the point that waves grew larger, Heechul helped Taemin up to his feet. He offered a simple explanation, holding him by the waist as he tried to synchronize their movements. Unfortunately, when Taemin’s foot slipped on the wetness of the surface beneath him, the board tipped over, throwing them both into the water. This wasn’t the last time it happened either, leaving all of them far wetter than they would’ve preferred.

                As Heechul predicted, the beach began to fill up no more than an hour later. Taemin was learning quickly, but not fast enough for Heechul. Instead, he hopped onto Kai’s board while the elder went on ahead to surf alone.

                Kai, on the other hand, was more patient. Surfing wasn’t much of a sport for him and he appreciated spending time with Taemin. Kai took them far out in the deeper waters, sitting on the board and bathing in the sun. “I’m going to become super tan like you.” Taemin whined, shielding his eyes from the strong rays. Kai threw himself to the side just enough to tilt the board dangerously far. “Are you saying my skin colour is a bad thing? I don’t think the sharks and piranhas in the water would agree.” He challenged, leaving Taemin on the edge, centimeters away from falling off.

                Taemin furrowed his eyebrows, risking his position as he quickly scooted closer towards the younger boy, holding onto him. “If I fall in, I’m bringing you down with me!” Taemin threatened, receiving a snort as a response. “You shouldn’t get too close, hyung. I could try something weird on you.” Taemin crossed his arms in front of his chest, rolling his eyes. “Like you have the guts to do that? Anyways, let’s start surfing again; I’m starting to get hungry. Go, get up! Catch up with Hee-nim!” He ordered, and a disappointed Kai obeyed. “Hyung, one day I’m not going to be joking and I’m going to actually do something and then you’ll end up regretting not taking me seriously…” Taemin sighed, leaning back on Kai’s leg. “Yeah, but I trust that you’ll never hurt me.”

 

 

                Halfway into their day, the three were waved back in for lunch. After they ate, Ruki took them out on the town. They went shopping at several stores and Taemin couldn’t help but to pick out several knick knacks and junk out at each one, buying it all without a second thought. “Taemin, don’t blow all your money.” Minho would scold, although he ended up buying anything the younger boy wanted for him. “Minho, you’re the best.” Taemin would reply in return.

                “Hey Kai, me and Heechul found a cool mini golf place not too far from here. Want to come?” Ruki proposed. Minho nodded, pushing the youngest in the other two’s direction. “Yeah you should go ahead. They’ll show you a really fun time. These guys know what they’re doing.”

                Ruki and Heechul both took Kai’s arms as they began to drag him in a direction opposite Taemin. They were slightly surprised when they met resistance. “But I wanted to spend today with Tae-” Without letting him finish, they pulled him away.

                “Hyung, why can’t we go with them?” Taemin asked, watching as Kai sadly waved him goodbye. “Because I asked them to leave us alone for a bit.” Minho answered, weaving his fingers in between Taemin’s.

                “Why don’t we go on a walk?” Minho whispered while locking eyes with the blonde. Taemin blushed, noticing that they were not technically on a date. “Okay.” He nodded, fitting himself into Minho’s side.

                They reached the shore, taking their flip flops off and carrying them in their free hands. There wasn’t really any kind of verbal exchange between them, but it was fine. They enjoyed the other’s company in silence.

                “Hey Minnie, let’s go in there!” Minho chirped, pointing towards some sort of cave going down into the side of a cliff. “It’s a bit spooky, don’t you think?” Taemin remembered the time they watched a horror movie and Minho had been uncomfortably afraid. “Are you sure you can handle it?” He teased. Minho rolled his eyes, messing up Taemin’s hair. “I’m not a chicken. Come on.”

                They neared the entrance, slowing down their pace when they passed through it. It wasn’t anything too spectacular although the naturalistically artistic patterns projected from the illuminated water set some sort of mood. Taemin got an idea, inconspicuously slipping out of Minho’s hold and letting the elder get a little ahead.

                The darkness was his friend as he slipped into it, hiding at the sides where vision was anything but clear.

                “Minnie, doesn’t this look cool?... Minnie?”

                From afar, he watched as Minho turned in all directions, looking for him. “Taemin..?” The younger boy had to choke back a laugh as he crawled up behind Minho, noticing how stiff he was.

                With nothing more than a few inches between them, Taemin made a noise resembling a hiss, grabbing onto him.

                The elder screamed at the top of his lungs, swinging his arms in several directions as he backed up, nearly tripping.

                Taemin was in tears, laughing as he clung to his stomach. “Hyung, why are you so scared? It’s just a cave…! Oh my gosh, my ribs hurt!”

                When he looked up, his caught a glimpse of Minho rubbing his eyes. “Wait, Hyung, are you crying? Are you really crying?” Taemin straightened out, walking towards him.

                “You know what, Taemin? You’re the absolute worst!” He grunted as he marched straight out of the cave. Taemin couldn’t think of anything to say except to quickly run after him. “Hyung, I’m sorry!” He shouted, having a little trouble keeping up. He got no response and his heart sank a little. “Hyung… I’m sorry…” Still not getting a response, he ran up behind him, hugging the elder tightly. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” He repeated, realising his idea might have not been the brightest. “Hyung…” He spun Minho around, tossing his arms in a way that they might have gone around his waist while he hugged the elder around the neck tightly. “Hyung, I’m so sorry! Please don’t be mad. I know I was really stupid, but please don’t be mad at me! Minho…” He whimpered, hating the idea of his apology being rejected. “Hyung… I love you…”

                Minho sighed, holding the younger boy in his arms despite his expression not changing. “Taemin, you know I don’t like that sort of stuff…” Taemin nodded as he nuzzled into Minho’s shoulder. “I know, I’m really stupid, I’m sorry… I didn’t think you’d cry…” Taemin admitted. “I wasn’t crying!” The elder defended, surprised by the unexpected giggle. “Okay Hyung.”

                They walked all the way to the edge of the beach where water surrounded them from every direction but one. Sitting down on a fallen log, they watched the sun set.

                It started off with a poke to Minho’s side and escalated to lips on Taemin’s neck. Minho found the blonde’s pants tighter than he would’ve wanted them to be as he grabbed at his thighs, massaging them.

                “Minho…” Taemin moaned, taking the elder’s wrist and guiding it further up his leg until they were just slightly short of his bulge. He was disappointed when Minho’s hand didn’t continue on its own, doing the opposite and sliding back down. “Hyung, don’t stop… why are you stopping..?” He whined, pushing his lower half up against his chest. “Minnie, do you want to continue?” It didn’t take long for Taemin to nod. “Then let’s head back, okay? Oh, but first, I want to give you something.”

                Taemin watched Minho’s hands pull away, going to search his back pockets. “This is part one of your gift. You might not be able to use this all the time, but use it while you can, okay?” He fished out a thin green band. It had tiny jewels on it, a pink one after every three green ones, forming a subtle pattern. He transferred it from his hand to Taemin’s, noticing a smile growing on the younger boy’s face. “Listen, I know it’s small and insignificant but… rather than having one big thing from me, I want you to have thousands of small ones that you’ll use every day. That way, if you ever need to tie up your hair, you’ll think of me.”

                Taemin hugged him. “Thank you, hyung.”

                Minho nodded. “Let’s get heading back.”          

                “Hyung, will you carry me on you back? Please? We’ll get back faster!”

                “No we won’t, I’ll get tired carrying you.”

                “Ah, maybe, but don’t you think it’d be a nice thing to do?”

                The elder sighed in defeat. It didn’t take much for him to give in to anything Taemin wanted.

                “Okay, fine. Hop on.”

 

                They really did take less time walking back, but less because he carried the boy and more because he was excited for the upcoming evening.

                They came back to the empty cottage and Minho was happy to see that one of the two older boys stopped by, setting up a romantic meal. The candlelit atmosphere and soft music playing in the background made Taemin’s stomach fill with butterflies.

                The small table was set, a white plate on a red and white checkered table cloth. Minho pulled out the chair for him, politely pushing him back in. He sat across from Taemin, a single albeit large serving of spaghetti between them.

                “Enjoy.” Minho hummed, picking up his fork.

                Their feet brushed up against each other, a game of footsies commencing beneath the table.

                “Have you ever watched that children’s movie?” Minho asked, “The one with the two dogs who fall in love?”

                “Lady and the Tramp?”

                “Yup.”

                “Yeah, I have. Why?”

                “Then do you remember this?”

                Taemin watched as Minho raised a single noodle to his mouth, holding it carefully between his teeth before leading the other end to Taemin’s.

                The younger boy found himself blushing as he understood what Minho was getting at.

                With both ends occupied, they on the noodle until they were slightly bent over the table, lips meeting. They shared a long kiss and Taemin was getting into it once again, and just like earlier, Minho pulled away. Taemin groaned, crossing his arms. “Minho, you have to stop doing this.”

                Minho laughed, pulling something out from underneath the table and sliding it towards Taemin. “Here’s the second part of your present. I guess this one’s a bit more personal.”

                Taking it into his hand, Taemin noticed it was a vintage styled leather journal. “I’m not really sure how many pages there are, I mean, I didn’t count. Anyways, I wrote something on the bottom of each of the pages.”

                Unwrapping the leather binding, he opened it to the first page. As explained, on the bottom of the front page, there were six words written neatly in black pen.

                ‘Reasons why I love Lee Taemin:’

                On the next page, there were more written. ‘His heart-melting smile.’

                And on the next, ‘The way he pouts when he’s upset.’

                And then, ‘How his long fingers perfectly fit between mine.’

                “Minho… I don’t know what to say… This… wow, I’m really happy.”

                “Hmm, ‘I love you’ seems fitting.”

                “I love you, thanks so much.”

                Taemin stared at the journal in his lap, his heart pounding like it never had before.

                “Hyung…”

                “What is it, Minnie?”

                “I’ve lost my appetite.”

                “Huh? Why?”

                “Minho…” It was now, this was definitely it. Everything seemed right. It was all perfect.

                “Minho, take me upstairs.”

                It was dim for the most part but he could see the sudden change in Minho’s expression. He slowly nodded. Standing up from the table, he walked over to Taemin’s side, reaching for the hand which Taemin offered. Minho held onto it tightly as they went to their room.

                Taemin noticed the older boy’s palm was sweaty and he seemed to be breathing a little louder than usual, though that may have just been the growing silence surrounding them as they put more distance between themselves and the stereo downstairs.

                Now in front of the bed, Minho exhaled.

                “Part three of your gift… is me.”

                They locked eyes and that’s when the first piece of clothing came off.

A/N: Wow, I haven't updated this late in the day for a while now. It's my birthday today so I was putting writing this off a little, but nevertheless, here it is!~ 

They're gunna frick frack next chapter in case you didnt catch that and/or read the author's notes before the actual chapter(?)