Chapter 27

False Awakening

                The weather was now getting casually warmer. The sun stayed up longer and kept the ground heated. The layers of clothing lessened as well as the chilling wind. Taemin had made a sudden decision to cut his long locks one day, not warning anyone prior. Getting up from his seat, he called a hairdresser and set an appointment which he attended with pinpointed precision. “I think you’d look great blonde.” The hairdresser suggested. “Can you do it?” Taemin asked. “Make your hair blonde? I’d have to bleach it, but yeah, I could.” Taemin nodded, not putting much thought into it. “Alright then, can you do it today?” She agreed. “Yes, if I do it before the haircut.” She added. “Then go for it.”

                A few hours later, he had left looking like a totally different person. He touched his hair repeatedly, loving the soft touch the woman had graced it with. “What will I do with all the pretty clothes I have? I don’t think I can wear them anymore now that I look like this.” His face still had a feminine touch, but it was much clearer now that he was a guy. The school probably wouldn’t be too happy with the change but what’s been done has been done. He noticed a lot more attention on the way home.

                The next day at school was anything but regular. A lot of people approached him, asking him about his hair. Many flustered girls also came in groups, showing interest in things they wouldn’t have looked twice at any other day. It started mainly with his class but soon spread throughout the school. “Oppa!” Girls would shout as they neared, trying to grab his attention. “Oppa, I really like your hair.”

“Me too!” They all agreed.

                “Thank you.” Taemin would say, going back to his word. “Oppa, don’t ignore us!” They’d whine ‘cutely’, but Taemin wouldn’t look back but only keep looking at his phone. “Sorry, this is more important.” Despite him discouraging them, the whole day more and more kept coming back until finally school was over. It was over time, but he sooner than later started to regret not the makeover, but all the unwanted attention it brought along. Minho had texted him, notifying him that he was waiting at the front gate. Rushing, he hopped and skipped through the halls. With his bag in hand, he struggled to tangle in just the right way to fit into his military styled jacket, mid-gait. Once on, he threw his arms through the straps, his bag secured. Spotting Minho from a while away. He ran up to the tall, dark haired boy, his arms around him within seconds in a tight hug. They boy seemed surprised, astonished. “Sorry?” He began before Taemin looked up, stealing the boys words. “Taemin, it’s you right?! Oh my goodness, what happened to your hair?!” He asked, tilting his head as his fingers ran along Taemin’s now revealed neck. “I cut it. I kind of wanted a change. What do you think?” Ruffling the boy’s neat, blonde hair, he kissed the top of his head. “I think it looks amazing… I can’t put it into words. Wow; just wow. You look great.” Minho said, his eyes travelling from strand to strand of the bleached hair that suited the boy’s milky skin. They both looked back as squealing grew louder from somewhere a few meters away. “Oppa! Oh, who’s this Oppa? Is he your friend? He’s very handsome! How old are you, dark haired Oppa? You’re very handsome. Are you single?” They squealed even louder as they began questioning Minho, introducing themselves. “No.” Taemin stated in the middle of their introductions. “Actually, he’s my boyfriend.” He intertwined his fingers with Minho’s sneakily, taking the older boy’s hand. “That’s so cute Oppa, but really-”

                “Really, he is my boyfriend, and I would like it if you didn’t talk to him so casually please.” Taemin requested, leaning into Minho’s shoulder. If he had looked away from the girls for even one second, he would’ve noticed Minho’s cheesy blush accompanied by a crooked smile. “O-oh… Is that so? Mianhe.” The girls apologized, bowing, before taking their pouting expressions along with them towards the exit, a hint of disappointment and anger following them. “Have you also matured with this shorter hair?” Minho asked, smirking. “Omo, that would be impossible.” He admitted, snuggling into the taller boy’s side. “I brought someone who wanted to see you." Minho said as they walked past the gate. “Who is it?” Taemin asked before being greeted with a “Surprise, surprise- Woah… I guess I’m the one who should be surprised, huh?” It was Heechul standing there with his hands on his hips. “Why didn’t you tell me he got his hair done?” Heechul questioned, staring at Minho before pulling Taemin into a hug. “This is the first I’ve heard or seen of it as well.” Minho argued. As they walked towards the high-rise buildings, Heechul complained about the weather, a rare cooler wind blowing. “Aish, it’s so cold. Seriously, what’s wrong with this country? I’m moving to the Bahamas.” This lured a laugh out of both of the others. “You’re always cold. If you moved to the Bahamas, you’d complain about it being too hot.” Taking his hand out of his coat, Heechul slid his into Taemin’s back pocket. Besides the occasional laugh, the youngest stayed quiet, just following the other two, keeping up to date in their topic-changing conversations. “Let’s go get drunk.” Heechul volunteered. “We can’t. It’s only five and Taemin’s in his school uniform. Either way, I don’t want him getting drunk.” Minho stated. “Ooh, stingy. Fine then, let’s call up all the other’s and go eat some barbeque. We could go to that new grill that recently opened up. Changsun said the food is great and cheap. They also serve beer.” Feeling like he should add the last part, Heechul pulled out his phone, disregarding the other’s opinions as he sent out a mass text to their colleagues.

                An hour and a bit later, the huge group of college students were sitting around a table, dishes splayed all over the table. Taemin had tried to spot himself a seat near Minho but due the movements of everyone around him, he somehow ended up down the table, on the opposite side. He received another set of endless compliments from all those present. The girls kept pampering him and although he knew all of them, there was one he swore he’d never seen before. She sat on Minho’s left side, her upper body turned towards him as she seemed to shun everyone else. Taemin watched as she pulled out her phone and took a few pictures with Minho, leaning on the boy’s shoulder. He hadn’t realized a pout sneaking onto his lips until Sunny pointed it out. “Taemin-ah, why are you pouting? Do you want something? I can grab it for you.” She offered, her kindness making Taemin’s eyes light up. “Thank you so much Noona.” Her face scrunched up slightly as she pulled him into her arms, whining. “Taemin-ah, you’re too cute. Noona will give you everything.” After that, Taemin hadn’t given the girl much notice, deciding it was nothing and simply enjoying his meal and the company. They played a few games, most of them being drinking in which Taemin was an exception from the consequences, receiving only a flick from one of the older boys. They usually melted at the sight of boy’s innocent face and wouldn’t be able to. “This isn’t fair!” One of them complained. “Taemin isn’t getting punished for anything and half of us are already drunk!” He was hit in the forehead by a piece of rice. “Then how about you do it, huh? Don’t be mad because you’re losing right now!” Another yelled back. “I can’t do it! He’s too cute!” Grumbling he picked up a piece of rice and threw it back. “Exactly, hypocrite!” Clearly frustrated, his eyes flew to Taemin. “Fine, I will do it! Come over here.” He instructed, calling Taemin over. Getting up from his chair, the blonde boy walked around the table. He was standing in front of the frustrated man, his cheeks flushed from the alcohol. Pulling Taemin onto his lap, he got his hand ready, his fingers about to deliver a flick. His fingertips rested on Taemin’s forehead as he stared at the boy’s doe eyes. There was much hesitation. Finally sighing, he moves his hand to the back of Taemin’s head, leaning the boy’s head on his shoulder. “Taemin-ah, comfort this losing old man.” Everyone at the table laughed as Taemin wrapped his arms around the self-claimed ahjusshi. “You can do it.” Taemin cheered as he let himself be pampered. He rested against the older boy as another one threw a deck of cards onto the table, suggesting a quick game of poker. “I don’t know how to play, you’ll have to help me Minho Oppa!” the girl from earlier stated, nudging Minho. Taemin was too busy snuggling to see, only looking away when his name was called. “Taemin, you want to go join me? I’m going to smoke.” Heechul asked. Taemin nodded, climbing off as him and Heechul walked towards the main door, jackets in hand. Into the outdoors, Heechul pulled out a pack of cigarettes, offering one to Taemin who respectfully rejected. "Zip up your coat, it's cold." He scolded, zipping Taemin's coat up for him. Taking a drag both of them stood there in silence. Heechul looked over, ruffling the boy's hair. "Blonde suits you." He complimented. "Thanks." Taemin laughed. "You know, you fit in really well with the group. You’re like our little puppy. You're like the little brother a lot of us never had." Heechul added. He examined Taemin's profile, the street lights reflecting off of his smooth skin. Leaning against the bricks, Heechul let out a breath of smoke. "You've ever smoked before?" Taemin shook his head. "That's good. It's a bad habit. Do you have any plans after this?" Thinking the evening over in his head, he shook it again. "Ah." Taemin yawned quietly as he watch the cars drive past. "Hey, how about you come home with me tonight?" Heechul asked. Shrugging, Taemin agreed. "Sure, I don't see why not. I was just going to go home anyways." with a surprised expression on his face, which Taemin didn't quite understand, Heechul nodded. "Well that went better then I though." Taemin looked at the barely visible sky yawning once again. "Heechul, I'm glad you're my friend. We're friends, right?" Heechul smirked, nodding. "Maybe after tonight we can be more than that, huh?"  Taemin didn't get it. Ditching his cigarette, Heechul led Taemin back inside. They took their previous seats at the table, holding each other's gazes, Heechul sending a wink in the younger boy's direction. Compared to everyone around them, Taemin noticed that Heechul seemed very sober. Next he looked at Minho who had a girl draped around him. Taemin felt slightly disappointed, not to mention the older boy hadn’t spared Taemin a glance all night. After all, he and Minho were dating and he wanted to be in her place. He didn't want to be rude and make a scene so he just quietly watched with envy. At one point, they all started comparing the girls' sizes. "Taemin, feel Noona's s! They're larger than Tiffany’s yes?” She grabbed for Taemin’s hand and set it on her chest firmly, not allowing for any manoeuverability. Blushing, repeatedly trying to pull his hand away, he nodded. “All of you have very nice s!” She giggled as she let go of his. “Taemin, you’re so cute. I’ll adopt you some day, okay?” Taemin nodded, slightly worried about the drunk crowd. Around nine o’clock, they started getting ready to leave. Taemin got up, brushing and crumbs stuck to his clothes. He grabbed his bag and walked towards Heechul, standing behind him. “Give me a second Taemin, I’m just going to throw in some cash and we can go.” He nodded. When Heechul was ready, they went for the exit. “Hey, Taemin, hold up. I’ll get my coat and we can go home together. “Actually,” Heechul began, pushing Taemin out, “He’s coming over to my house tonight. We’re going to play a little, if you get what I’m saying. Don’t tell the others, I’m trying to sneak out before the other’s notice.” He finished, his finger pressed against his lip as he let out an airy ‘Shh’ sound. “Wait, what? You can’t-” Minho started, understand very well what Heechul and Taemin were going to do tonight, but was cut off by the girl who stuck to him like glue. “See Oppa, you can take me home!” She said, hugging him. When he looked back, Heechul was gone.

                They were on the last bus now, approaching a stop near a tall building. “I live on the seventh floor.” Heechul explained as he pointed to a window. Getting off, they entered the building and then the elevator. As the doors closed, Taemin was surprised to feel Heechul take his hand. He looked up at the older boy curiously who just smiled at him. The doors opened as the number displayed paused at seven. Walking through the corridors, they arrived at the door with a 713 on it. Inside, Heechul took Taemin’s coat off for it, hanging it off a hook that sprang outwards from the door. The walked into a more open space and Taemin was directed to a bedroom. “Just wait here, okay? I’m just going to wash up.” That’s unusual, he thought. “Why not the couch?” Taemin asked, thinking it was a better place to hang out. “The couch will hurt your back.” Taemin had no idea what this had to do with his back, at least the couch had something to rest it on compared to the bed. Nevertheless, he sat down on the soft bed, looking around the room. He spotted a photo of what he assumed was Heechul as a child. Taking it into his hand, he looked it over. He was very cute and as he is now, was dressed very nicely, hair looking well maintained. “Do you like it? I was nine.” Taemin looked up to Heechul come into the room, shirtless. Not giving it much thought, he nodded. The frame was stolen from his hands and placed back on the shelf. “Do you want to go wash up?” Taemin gave a ‘no’. Why would he? “Alright.” The younger boy watched as everything seemed to speed up. It felt like less than a second as Heechul climbed up beside him, laying the boy down before crawling over him. He felt the elder’s lips just below his own, his shirt in the process of coming off. “Woah, woah, woah! Wait, Hyung, what are you doing?” Just as confused as he was, Heechul raised an eyebrow, quickly stealing Taemin’s shirt off of him, spreading the boy’s legs. “What do you mean what am I doing? I’m taking your clothes off.” He stated bluntly, staring at the face framed by blonde hair. “Why?” Taemin asked in a rushed tone. “How are we supposed to do it with our clothes on?” The boy’s eyes widened, huge, as his voice got caught in his throat. “Wait, why are we going to do it?” Heechul now ceased in his action completely, leaving the boy with his legs on both sides of the elder’s waist, propped up on his thighs. “What did you think we were going to do?” He asked, sounding dumbfounded. “Well you asked me to come over so I thought we were going to watch some movies or hang out or something… Wait... Does this you want to have with me?” Taemin asked, cupping his mouth as his jaw fell open.  Heechul seemed to smirk in disbelieve, the end of a chuckle riding his lips. “You have got to be kidding me.” He stated. Sighing, he dropped his head, his forehead against Taemin’s bare chest as he began laughing. “Oh my god… I knew you were young but I didn’t think you were this naïve. Well, whatever. You know what we’re doing now, so let’s just continue.” He retained his predator-like posture as he began kissing each of Taemin’s ribs. “Wait! We can’t!” Taemin placed his hands on both sides of Heechul’s head, his fingers lacing into his hair as he pulled Heechul up. The older boy went for Taemin’s jaw, mumbling a ‘what is it now?’ as he nibbled lightly. “I’m dating someone!” Taemin yelled. Heechul quickly sat up with a straight face. “I am 24601% done.” He got off Taemin, taking liberty of dressing the younger boy just as he had undressed him. “Come on, I’ll turn on a game and get you some ice cream.”

                As promise, minutes later, Heechul came by the sofa, placing a cold bowl of ice cream on the younger boy lap. Taemin paused the game and set the controller down. “Thank you.” Heechul nodded as he took a sip of his beer, the ice clinking in the glass. “Here I thought I was going to get laid but instead I’m stuck babysitting.” Heechul joked. “Is it true you’re dating someone or do you really not want to do it with me that much?” Taemin swallowed a spoonful on the treat. “It’s true.” Heechul cleared his throat, “Is it someone I know?” After a silence, he nodded. “Who is it?” After another pregnant pause, he looked away, shoving another spoon into his mouth. “Minho.” This seemed to entertain Heechul greatly as the boy had trouble keeping his drink in his mouth, offering an short applause. “Wow, I honestly didn’t think Minho was like that. So you’re the one in his pants, huh? I was sure it was Jinri.” He thought out loud. “Who?” Taemin asked, not familiar with the name. “The girl who clung onto him like a leech today.” Oh. “Why… why did you think that?” Taemin asked, somewhat concerned about her. “You wouldn’t know because you don’t go to school with us, but for the past few weeks, she’s been all over him and only him. Where ever he goes, she tags along. She doesn’t even talk or care about the rest of us. She only talks to him. Frankly, it’s annoying and I don’t know why Minho puts up with it. It’s easy to see she has her eyes on him and is doing everything she takes to get him.” I guess she is really pretty, Taemin thought. Seeing Taemin’s anxious expression, Heechul threw his arm around the boy. “I think she’s annoying as .” He used his extended arm to take hold of the spoon resting in Taemin’s, leaning closer to take a bite. “Heechul Hyung, I’m sorry for the misunderstanding earlier.” Almost as if disregarding Taemin’s comment, Heechul fed the younger. “Call me Hee-nim.” He requested. “Why Hee-nim?” Taemin asked. “I don’t know. I think it sounds cute but no one calls me it. So instead of calling me Hyung or something, just call me Hee-nim. Oh man, it’s so late. Well I guess you’re not staying the night, so you better get going. Do you want me to drive you home?” Heechul offered, going to get his previously discarded shirt. “You have a car?” Taemin had gotten up, putting the now empty bowl in the sink and cleaning it. “I don’t use it, but yeah. Hey, you don’t have to wash that you know?” Once clean, Taemin reached for what he assumed was a dishrag and dried it. “I want to.” He heard a chuckle before Heechul whispered a ‘Thanks’. “Alright, get ready. I’ll drive you back.”

                Finally in front of Taemin’s house, Heechul parked the car. “Thank you for driving me Hee-nim.” Turning on the lights, Heechul looked over. “It’s really no problem. You live really close to Minho, it makes sense how you two met. Minho is a little ; he never knows how well he has it.  On another note though, you need to be more careful. Earlier today, if it wasn’t me who invited you over, the situation might have turned out horrible wrong. Nothing will get a ert to stop once they have you, so think twice about leaving with people, ne?” Taemin nodded. “Also, one more thing; I know you’re at a disadvantage, but try to keep an eye out for Jinri okay? She’s definitely up to no good. She goes to our college’s sister school so she has really easy access. I’ll let you know if I see anything too, okay? I’ll be your eyes and ears when you can’t be there.” He smiled, ruffling Taemin’s hair. “Thank you so much Hee-nim. You’re a really good person.” Taemin reached for the handle, cracking the door open. “That’s a big stretch, but thanks.” Bowing, he went up to his door, Heechul watching until he was safely inside, waving him off.

                Taemin lay in bed that night, staring at the ceiling, disregarding the late hour.

I wonder if Minho thinks she’s pretty.

                I wonder if he liked it when she hugged him, only paid attention to him.

                I wonder if he likes her.

                Worrying the wrinkles onto his forehead, he rolled over, shoving his head between the mattress and the pillow as if to drown his thought out. The hour was late and he needed sleep. He was probably overthinking it.

                Probably.