Chapter 84

False Awakening

                “It’s your last fitting. How does it feel?” Ruki asked, walking into the tailor’s with Taemin at his side.

                It was early on a Sunday.

                "I'm really scared. I never saw the fitted version yet. The other one looked nice but way too big for me since it was just the version they show at the store." Taemin admitted.

"Ah, in that case, I'm sure you'll look way better than you did back then."

"I hope so. Minho looked stunning."

"You never stop thinking about him, do you?"

“I don’t think that’s an option.”

“He never stops thinking about you either.”

Taemin smiled, running his fingers through his hair. “I hope so.”

They were accompanied to a fitting room by an employee, left to wait as he fetched Taemin’s suit.

“I’m glad you brought me Tae-chan, but why didn’t you bring Jongin?”

Suddenly the younger boy’s smile disappeared and he sighed, biting his lip as if wondering whether or not speaking up was the best choice. “He hasn’t talked to me in the past few days. Um, I asked him to come once but he didn’t give me an answer and then not too long after, stopped talking to me in general.”

“O-oh… I’m sorry.”

“Don’t worry. I planned on taking you along anyways.”

Ruki nodded.

The employee came back with Taemin’s suit and moved the boy into a changing room, separating the two with a curtain.

“Just put it on and tell us when you’re ready.” The man told him, leaving to join Ruki.

 

 

Taking the white suit out of its bag, Taemin hung it on a separate hook, undressing himself.

He decided not to look into the mirror. He’d rather see Ruki’s reaction before his own.

Beginning with his undershirt, he put on the white pants which hugged his legs, a dress shirt that fit as much as it possibly could, a body tight vest, and a long, knee length suit jacket that flared out a bit as it ended above his knees. A shined pair of white shoes waited for him near a stool and he slipped into the as well as the white tie and gloves.

It was tempting to turn around and see his reflection, but he shook the idea off and fixed his hair from memory. “I’m ready!” He yelled.

“Come out! Come out now, okay?” Ruki yelled back.

“Yes, we’re excited to see you!” The man added.

Taking a deep, long breath, Taemin grabbed the curtain and slid it open. All he could hear was Ruki’s gasp, and all he could see was the elder’s hands cup his mouth.

“Oh… my gosh…” The hands soon cupped his whole face, “I’m getting emotional.” Ruki laughed. When he lifted his head though, all Taemin could see were tears.

“Wait, why are you crying?! Do I look that bad?!”

“No you idiot! You look… really good! You look amazing, Tae-chan! You’ll make… an amazing groom!” The elder barely managed, his sobs interrupting every other syllable. “Why aren’t you freaking out?!”

“I haven’t seen myself yet.” Taemin confessed, shocking both of them.

“Well then quick! Turn around!” The employee instructed, placing his hand on the blonde’s shoulders and spinning him around so that he met his own eyes in the mirror that was only a few meters away.

He could definitely understand where Ruki was coming from.

The image he had in his mind since day one, the person he imagined walking down the aisle towards Minho, he was finally that person.

Within seconds, his vision blurred and he choked up.

“I’m really getting married, aren’t I?”

“You are! Y-you, really are! I want to hug you but my makeups all over my face and I don’t want to get your s-suit dirty…”

“Hug me anyways, Ruki…” Taemin cried, thankful for the embrace, “My heart’s beating so fast… I might die… what if I die before my wedding?”

“Don’t say that! It’s only a few days away! If you die, Minho will too and then there won’t be anything! No suits, no cakes, nothing!”

Wiping his cheeks, Taemin stared at himself in the mirror. It was an amazing sight and he couldn’t look away.

“Do you think Minho will like it?”

Holding the boy tightly, Ruki nodded. “I think he’ll be crying too much to say anything, so if he’s quiet, just take it as a compliment…” The elder laughed, “I’d take a picture, but we both look horrible. Why don’t you grab your suit and we can go get some cake in celebration?”

“Okay… just give me a few minutes to get myself together…”

“Ah, before you go in,” The employee finally spoke up, “Is everything alright? Nothing needs altering, you feel great in the suit, you’re happy with it, yes?”

Taemin couldn’t nod enough. “Yes. It’s everything I’ve ever imagined and more… I don’t know how you guys pulled this off so well… I just… I can’t imagine getting married in anything else. I- I’m speechless, really! Thank you so much… I’ll definitely recommend this place to anyone ever looking for a suit. What you guys do is just unbelievable.”

“We’re happy you’re happy.” He smiled, “Now don’t let me hold you back. Go change.”

Bowing his head, Taemin went back into the changing room. Still, he couldn’t take his eyes off of the man in the mirror. Man was the word that came to mind because there was no way a boy like Taemin could look so perfect.

                Stripping, he couldn’t stop his heart from racing.

                Only a few more days needed to pass before he’d be putting on this suit again.

                Only a few more days until he’d be walking down an aisle in a beautiful garden, joining Minho who would be waiting for him, who would take his hand, and who would vow to live Taemin just as confidently as Taemin vowed to love him.

                Their forever was so close. It was so close it felt far away. The fewer seconds remained, the more they felt like hours. Hoping that time would fly by, Taemin went on to change.

 

 

 

 

 

 

                It was around dinner time when Taemin came home.

                The house seemed empty.

                Minho was at work as usual but the kitchen looked untouched so he decided to make his lover a meal for when he’d return.

                It wasn’t until he turned the corner than he had a heart attack, bumping face first into someone else’s chest.

                “Oh god… sorry.” He apologized.

                “It’s okay.” Jongin replied. “Oh, by the way, I just go off the phone with my friend.” He began.

                Taemin was surprised because they hadn’t had a proper conversation in what felt like ages.

                “A-and?”

                “His birthday is on the weekend, right? It’s going to be huge apparently. Anyways, he invited me over for the night on Friday, but then his birthday’s on Saturday. We’re going to be out all night so he said I might as well sleep over again on Saturday. Long story short, I’ll probably be gone from Friday morning until Sunday evening.”

                The blonde was confused. “W-wait, next week?”

                “No, this week.”

                “But Friday to Sunday… my wedding is on Saturday so how are you going to-”

                “Yeah, I decided I don’t really want to go. I’m not cut out for that type of thing. I’ll just stay out of your way-”

                “Are you kidding me? You’re my best man… you have to come, Jongin! It’s the most important day of my life, how can you just not come like that?”

                “I just don’t want to. I’m not a wedding kind of guy. Besides, it’s just a wedding. Not really that important.”

                He was in disbelief. What could possibly be going through Jongin’s mind for him to be saying this kind of stuff?

                “It’s not just a wedding, Jongin, it’s my wedding! I- you’re my best friend! If you’re not there then… it’ll… You’re my best man! It’s like missing the cake at a birthday! You’re the closest friend I have, why wouldn’t you be there for me?!”

                “Just calm down. I don’t want to go, and besides, it’s my friend’s birthday. We’re going to get drunk and stuff, probably get some girls or whatever.”

                Watching the younger boy turn to leave, Taemin grabbed his arm. “Is this a joke? This has to be a joke!”

                “It’s not. Neither of us are laughing. Anyways, I just wanted you to know that you wouldn’t have to cook dinner for three those days.”

                With that, Jongin thoughtlessly shook of Taemin’s hand and walked off to some other part of the house.

                “It’s a stupid joke!” Taemin screamed after him, disregarding the walls and ceiling separating them. “This… has to be a stupid joke… Jongin!”

                “What?!”

                “Answer me honestly! Are you actually not coming?!”

                “I’m not coming to your wedding!”

                Taemin’s mood took a complete turn for the worse. He had an amazing morning, having a preview of his wedding day. He had an amazing lunch, eating delicious food with Ruki. But now his evening, it wasn’t so amazing. Now he found out his best friend as well as best man won’t be at his wedding because he ‘doesn’t feel like it’, and it’s ‘not his thing’, but there’s also his friend’s birthday party, which is more worthy of his time.

                “Don’t you think you’re being selfish?!” Taemin shouted in anger.

                “You’re the one being selfish.” Jongin calm replied, just loud enough for his voice to carry out of his room, down the stairs, and into Taemin’s ears.

 

 

 

 

 

 

                Minho came home at ten that night.

                It wasn’t dark which wasn’t a surprise because Taemin stayed up to meet him every time.

                He would always run up to him, hug him, kiss him, tell him he missed him. Not today.

                Regardless, Minho walked towards the living room where the most noise was coming from.

                Spotting Taemin on the couch, sitting beside a tray of cookies, he smiled and walked over to join him. Sitting down and tossing his arm around the blonde’s shoulder, he kissed his cheek.

                “Hey, Kitten.”

                “Hi…” He heard in a cracked voice.

                “Baby… are you okay?” The elder asked, worried, lifting the boy’s chin to meet watery eyes. “Hey, what’s going on?”

                Crawling into the elder’s lap, Taemin hid his face against Minho’s neck, hugging him tightly.

                “Baby, what happened?”

                “Jongin s-said he won’t come to our-our wedding… He’s not going to come…”

                “What?”

                “He’s not going to come…”

                “Why not?”

                “He s-said his friend has some huge birthday party or something… he’ll be gone from Friday to Sunday…”

                “A birthday?”

                Taemin nodded.

                “Is he in his room?”

                “N-no…” The younger boy shook his head, “He went out somewhere… Minho… he was my best man and he’s my best friend… Now he’s not going to come to my wedding?”

                Minho tightly wrapped his arms around Taemin, massaging the boy’s back as he tried soothing him, calming his sobs.

                “I’ll talk to him later, okay?”

                “It won’t change anything… He doesn’t want to go… it’s not his… ‘thing’…”

                “How do you know that?”

                “He said so…”

                “I’ll talk to him, don’t worry. It’ll be fine. If anything, just ask Ruki to be your best man. I’m sure he’ll appreciate the part.”

                “I really thought he’d be there for me… I didn’t think there was another option… He’s my best friend…”

                Trying to change the topic to something more pleasant, Minho lifted Taemin’s ring finger, twirling the diamond around the digit. “How was picking up your suit? Did it fit well?”

                It worked, the blonde sitting up. “It was really good! Ruki started crying and I did too. It’s in the closet in the black bag but don’t look at it, okay?”

                “It can be your secret until Saturday. But then I’ll definitely see it, right?”

                “Only when I walk down the aisle.”

                That seemed like the ending of a fairy tale. He’d be at the front and Taemin would take the final steps towards being his husband.

                “Can you believe you’ll be getting married? And it’ll only be five days after your nineteenth birthday.”

                Those words made Taemin light up as he cuddled against the elder’s side.

                “Speaking of your birthday, what do you want to do tomorrow?”

                “Nothing. Getting married to you is the best present I could ever ask for.”

                “No, no, no. Your birthday and wedding are both completely different occasions that both need celebrating. Tell me what you want to do.”

                “After school… buy me ice cream.”

                “And then what?”

                “I just want ice cream.”

                “That’s it?”

                “Yeah.”

                “You’re lying.”

                “I’m not.”

                “I’m going to torture you until you answer me properly.” Minho declared, fingers tickling Taemin’s sides and not giving into the boy’s begging.

 

 

 

 

                Jongin was walking the street. He was happy one of his friends wasn’t busy because he just didn’t want to be at home.

                He’d been crying himself to sleep the past few days and couldn’t take seeing Taemin’s face anymore.

                He didn’t want to see his face, his suit, his smile, his anything. He didn’t want to see the person who he may or may not continue to call his best friend after this weekend.

                Why would Taemin do this to him?

                Why would Taemin get married when he knew Jongin loved him? Jongin would do everything for him, but Taemin is just leaving him for another guy and it was selfish, wrong, upsetting.

                Then he had the nerve to invite him to the exact celebration Jongin dreaded?

                How could Taemin do that? How could he be so cruel?

                Jongin loved him so much.

                Staring through the window of a nearby store, Jongin wished he had another friend who was gay.  He wished he could grab someone and kiss them, and fool around, and maybe take them to bed. All the things Taemin wasn’t willing to give him.

                He was willing to give them though, at least until Minho decided to ruin everything. He knew Taemin had a good heart so he used his pathetic alcoholism to lure Taemin back into the relationship while Taemin was already willing to dedicate to someone who was better for him. Someone like Jongin.

               

 

                His friend met him a few blocks away, giant smile on his face.

                “Hey Jongin! What’s up?”

                “I’m pissed off. Humour me.”

                “Oh, girl problems?”

                “Yeah.”

                “, sorry. Let’s go get you drunk.”

                “Okay.”

 

 

 

                It was half past one in the morning.

                Taemin was sweating but so was Minho as they both got comfortable on the messy sheets.

                “Should I shower?” The blonde asked.

                “Don’t shower, Kitten. I like it when you smell like me.”

                “I sweat a lot though…”

                “It’s okay, baby. I’ll you clean.”

                “ me only ends up making a bigger mess.” Taemin whispered. His lips were stolen for a few more seconds before they prepared to sleep. Cuddling up, spooning, they’d make use of the hours ahead.

                It wasn’t until Minho was far passed knocked out and Taemin was on the verge that his phone started vibrated.

                Jaded, he picked the phone off the table. Hoping it didn’t awake his lover, he got out of bed and walked out into the hallway, surprised by the name on his screen, answering the call.

                “Hello?”

                “Come meet me…”

                “What? Where? W-why? Why don’t you just come home?”

                “I want to meet you away from Minho… I don’t want to see him ever again…”

                “I’d have to take a shower though… I’m really sweaty and I just got to bed... I was planning on sleeping.”

                “If you don’t come, I’ll never, ever come back home.”

                “Jongin-”

                “I won’t.”

                It was ridiculous and Jongin was acting unbelievably childish, but still, he was Taemin’s best friend and Taemin would give him the world if he could. Regardless, that wouldn’t be enough for him because Taemin would give Minho the universe and that would always put Minho one step ahead of Jongin.

                “Your words are pretty slurred.” The elder commented, trying to avoid the threat.

                “I got… pretty drunk I guess…”

                “Where are you…?”

                “I’ll text you the address and everything…”

                “So you’re inside?”

                “Yeah, I’m inside…”

                “Then… just stay there, okay? Don’t leave. I don’t want you getting lost or hurt. I’ll come pick you up.”

                “How long will it take you?”

                “Probably around forty five minutes to an hour.”

                “Okay… See you then…”

                “Bye Jongin. Stay safe.”

                “Taemin…”

                “Yes, Jongin?”

                “I’m in love with you… so, so in love with you…”

                “Okay, Jongin, I’m going to come get you.”

                “Don’t marry Minho…”

                “…Text me the address.”

                Hanging up, Taemin took a deep breath.

                Moments later, he received a message with countless errors followed by countless correction, and finally, a link that took him to his map app, showing him the exact location Jongin was having trouble conveying.

                Checking the bus route, he wondered what he was getting himself into.

                Forcing himself out of bed, the blonde walked into the bathroom, turning on the shower.

 

 

 

 

 

                The night was cold and Taemin was tired. The combination didn’t make him the most comfortable person in the world.

                Taking several buses he usually didn’t and riding the subway to stops he hadn’t been at before, he found himself in the heart of downtown.

                He walked down several alleys, passing by so many restaurants that reminded him of how much he could go for a midnight snack right now.

                So many friendly faces, so many people his age still walking the streets, looking for a good time.

                A few minutes short of an hour, Taemin finally arrive where his phone pointed him to; a hotel that probably was a bit over Jongin’s budget. At least the one he set for himself when he was sober and rational.

                Walking past the front desk with no intention of getting called over, he checked his phone and headed up to the seventh floor. Out of the elevator and twelve doors down, he stood outside Jongin’s room.

                Trying not to debate anything, he knocked, hearing nothing in return. Hoping he had the right door, he raised his voice. “Jongin, it’s me!”

                Now he heard noise, now he heard footsteps.

                It didn’t take more than a few seconds for the door to open, revealing a shirtless Jongin in front of a dark room.

                “I-I came to get you…”

                Grabbing Taemin by the loops in his jeans, he pulled him into the dark, shutting the door behind them and locking them in the darkness.