Chapter 65

False Awakening

                It was quiet that night.

                After a hard day at school and a test scored with a 100%, Jongin asked Taemin to watch a movie with him.

                They shared the couch, managing to fit into a quarter of it as they snuggled up against each other’s sides.

                “Do you want some popcorn?” Jongin asked, the bowl in his lap.

                “Yes please.” Taemin smiled.

                He leaned in for a kiss before allowing himself to be fed.

                Jongin gladly gave it, whispering an “I love you.”

                Taemin hadn’t gotten around to saying ‘I love you’ back yet, but Jongin could wait. He was more than happy that the older boy didn’t deny Jongin the right of calling himself Taemin’s boyfriend, regardless of the fact that no official conversation determining their status occurred.

                He recalled the first time he tried and how stressful it was for him.

 

 

                They were talking a hike through one of the nature trails.

                Jongin was watching Taemin the whole time.

                He was beautiful.

                Coming across a river, the skipped from stone to stone on their way across. Jongin volunteered to go first. “Just in case one of the rocks is loose. I don’t want you to get hurt.” He said.

                Taemin laughed, thanking him.

                Once he finished making his way across, waiting for Taemin, the little box in his pocket felt so much more noticeable. He decided that it was time.

                When the elder finished his trek, Jongin stopped him.

                “Taemin?”

                “Yes?”

               “I, uh… I bought something for you… I don’t know why, I just saw it and thought that, um, if anyone but you wore it, it would be a waste.”

                Pulling the box out, he propped it open, revealing a tiny, silver cross on a matching, thin chain.

                “Wow… you got that for me? It looks… really nice. Can I wear it now?”

                Jongin nodded. “Yeah, but can I put it on for you?”

                “Mhm.”

                So taking in a deep breath, he leaned in, closing it around the back of Taemin’s neck.

                The elder looked down at it, smiling. “You know, you didn’t have to. I bet this cost you a lot.”

                That’s when the word came to mind. He wasn’t sure whether to say it or not, but what was the worst that could happen?

                “It’s what boyfriends do.” He managed.

                There was a moment of silence as Taemin’s emotionless eyes stared into him. It made Jongin’s stomach churn.

                Just then, when the younger boy was ready to add on a ‘just kidding’, Taemin happily nodded.

                “You’re right,” He said, “That is what boyfriends do.” Lacing his arms around Jongin, the brunette leaned up, kissing him.

 

 

               

                At this point, Jongin confidently continued to go by that title.

                The movie had begun and they got comfortable.

                “I didn’t think you liked romance movies.” Taemin teased.

                “I- I don’t! Just… Just watch the movie!”

                The elder laughed, his hand reaching for Jongin’s cheek, guiding the boy’s lips to his own. “I’m just kidding around, don’t get so flustered.”

                Jongin refused to respond, embarrassed, but he wasn’t anywhere near mad.

                They went on to watch the movie.

                For once though, Taemin couldn’t pay attention. Not because of the genre or the cheesy acting, but because he had a far more important topic on his mind.

               

                Jongin…

                He loves me…

                And… lately, I might be starting to see him as more than a friend too…

                Or at least I think so…

                We’ve already gotten pretty personal but… but maybe tonight…

                Maybe we could go all the way...

                He’s been so nice to me…

                I owe it to him, don’t I…?

                I wonder if he’s in the mood though…

                Minho and I… we always kind of always just… were in the mood together…

 

 

                These sentences swirled through his head and before he knew it, the movie was half complete.

                He was caught off guard the by the scene he came back to.

                “Come upstairs…

                It’s too early for you to leave me alone tonight.” A woman said.

                “If I come inside, I can’t guarantee that I’ll be able to stop myself from doing some horrible things.” A man replied.

                “Do what you want with me.

                I’m all yours.”

                The pair went on to ripping each other’s clothes off, their bodies colliding.

                That’s when Taemin decided that there was no better time than now.

                He looked over at Jongin, leaning in for a kiss that would turn into much more. It started off with gentle pecks on the corner of the younger boy’s lips and when Jongin turned his head to see what Taemin wanted, he managed to press a bit more, slipping his tongue in.

                Jongin was surprised at first, eyes wide, but within moments, they were closed, his tongue joining Taemin’s.

                Throwing his leg of the younger boy’s, Taemin shifted himself, straddling Jongin with a certain seduction to his actions.

                The movie was still going, but neither of them cared to watch it anymore so Jongin grabbed the remote and turned it off. His next move was to get Taemin on his back where he planned to devour him.

                Taemin’s arms went up and he pulled away from the kiss, taking his shirt off.  The moment was growing heated and fast.

                Jongin was quickly growing anxious to strip the elder, so his hands went to work.

                “J-Jongin! Wait! The couch isn’t the place to lose your ity!”

                The younger boy’s heart stopped once he heard that.

                “Jongin?”

                “Y-yes?”

                “Take me to the bedroom…”

 

                There was no hesitation with that request. He lifted Taemin and basically ran up the stairs.

                Once he dropped the brunette onto the bed, he knew he was ready to pounce, he was sure of it.

                So why did he freeze?

                Suddenly his hands were shaking, his forehead was sweating, his heart was on the verge of ripping out of his chest. There was so much anxiety, and adrenaline, and caution, and need, yet he couldn’t move an inch.

                Taemin was already spread out for him on the bed, half , waiting.

                “Jongin, is everything alright? Are you not ready? We can wait. Don’t rush into this.”

                “N-no, I’m ready… I… I’m just so happy that I,” He wiped his teary eyes. “I’ve never been this happy in my life… I don’t know how to handle it…”

                Taemin understood that feeling. That’s exactly what he felt when Minho kissed him for the first time, or when he lost his ity to Minho, or when Minho-

                He cut himself off.

                He had to stop thinking about Minho all the time.

                There’s no way he’ll get over him if he is thinking about him twenty four-seven like he is now.

                “Well a good place to start is here.” Taemin began, slipping his fingers between Jongin’s. “Don’t worry about it, okay? I’ll lead.”

                Jongin nodded, shimmying out of his pants.

                “O-oh, but, uh…” The elder added, searching for the wording, “When it comes to… ‘that’… you might feel excited and want to just get right to it… but please take your time… it really hurts me if I’m not prepared properly and you just start, you know, full on ing.”

                “Oh, okay. Um, I promise I won’t intentionally hurt you. This is my first time so I’m really sorry if I do something wrong!” Jongin stated, bowing his head premature to any painful event that could occur.

                “It’s fine, I had to learn too. But that’s just something to keep in mind. Right now, I want you to drive me insane.” The brunette concluded, pressing his bulge into Jongin’s.

 

 

 

               

                Minho was on his way from work.

                He cut down on his shifts and drinking in an attempt to make amends with Taemin, but that didn’t seem to even make the slightest impact.

                At this point, he’d be lucky to even catch a glimpse of Taemin leaving.

                Turning the key, he stepped inside.

                The living room was in a bit of a mess, something he decided he’d clean up later. It’s not like he had anything better to do.

                That’s when he heard a scream.

                He was positive that it was Taemin’s.

                There was another one and by now, Minho was half way up the stairs, running to find the boy.

                “There’s no way a burglar could have gotten in, is there?!” He asked himself.

                Slamming the door to Taemin’s room open, he felt paralyzed.

                It took a second for his eyes to adjust to the darkness, but there was no denying of what he was looking at.

                Something he never thought he’d have to see.

                Taemin was lying underneath Jongin, both of them completely .

                His lover’s hands were tugging at another person’s hair as their bodies came together, his name.

                “What is this?!” Minho yelled, switching the lights on.

                He noticed that Jongin wasn’t inside him yet.

                That provided some sort of relief.

                Taemin looked over at him, the look of ecstasy on his face turning to the most emotionless face he could muster.

                Jongin had a similar expression.

                “Can you turn the lights back off?” The brunette said.

                Minho wanted to cry.

                “Why are you doing this?! Jongin, get off of him! He’s mine!”

                “Minho, we haven’t talked in a few months and I’m sleeping with other guys. Isn’t that enough of a reason for you to back off…?”

                “Taemin, you are not sleeping with other guys!” Trying to keep some of his pride by mocking Jongin, he pathetically smirked. “Sleeping with other guys? He’s not even in you yet.”

                The brunette gave him a confident look he hadn’t expected. “Who says he hasn’t been? This just happens to be the first time we’ve gotten caught.”

                This angered the elder, extremely so. “Jongin, get off.” He demanded.

                Ignoring him for a second, the youngest boy leaned down, leaving a kiss on Taemin’s neck.

                “Are you upset, Minho? Are you mad that Taemin won’t look at you the way you look at him? Are you mad that he cares about someone else more than you? Are you mad that he only wants someone else? Are… are you mad that you’re in my position? That the tables have turned? Or are you just mad because you’re drunk again?”

                Nodding, Minho walked towards the bed. “Yeah, upset barely covers it.”

                Grabbing Taemin’s arm, he roughly jerked him from under Jongin, carrying him to his room.

                Although the younger boy was struggling, Minho managed to get a baggy shirt and oversized sweat pants on him, held up only by the tightly tied drawstrings.

                Covered up and dressed, he dragged Taemin down the stairs and out the door.

 

 

 

                Although the days were warm, the nights were still cooler.

                Minho was holding Taemin’s hand as he led him, but Taemin wasn’t holding his. The only reason he hadn’t ran away by now was because he didn’t want to cause a scene.

                They zigzagged between alleys and streets, sidewalks and stairs.

                Both of them were wondering where their destination was.

                Minho tried to embrace the cold air, using it as a way to calm himself and hold back the tears.

                Taemin used it as a distraction from the tears.

               

 

 

                The area was familiar to them now.

                They walked down the street, slowing down at a house that helped their relationship blossom. It was lit up, occupied by someone who wasn’t Taemin anymore.

                Their pace turned into more of a tip toe as they stared into the window, reminiscing in what they used to be.

                Taemin’s heart felt so much more broken.

                It wasn’t until Minho tugged on his hand that he followed again.

                Next, they crossed at the intersection which brought them together.

                Taemin never thought he’d be thankful for getting into a car accident.

                Moments later, another house came up on their left.

                This time, Taemin was the one to slow down unconsciously. Minho followed his lead and did the same.

                The younger boy looked from the door to the windows. Although it wasn’t lit up, he could still perfectly remember the insides and how each piece of furniture sat to work with the tiny space it was given.

                He remembered how happy he was when he first came into this house, overwhelmed by Minho’s scent on everything.

                His hand was lightly tugged and he began walking behind Minho once more.

                All these memories flooded him and all he was.

                He began to wonder why they started fighting.

                What caused this to all start those three months ago?

                Why didn’t either of them know how to express themselves correctly?

                Why’d they end up like this?

               

 

 

                The two continued to walk in all sorts of directions, revisiting their pasts, the good times.

                Minho started with the beginnings; the intersection, Taemin’s old house, his old house, the park, Taemin’s school, his school.

                Then he managed to work his way into the future; the cafes they regularly visited, the grocery store they shopped at while linking arms and sharing the job of carrying the basket, the club where they celebrated New Year’s.

                Following this theme, Minho began to get a reaction other than hatred out of Taemin.

                A few minutes after the club, he began to hear sniffles from behind. He didn’t need to turn around to know they were coming from Taemin. As they got to a more open space where a view of the mountain Minho proposed on was available, they grew significantly louder.

                By now, the older boy knew better than to walk through public places with a boy who probably looked like a mess.

               They walked on a small path until they hit a large river. Minho decided to keep walking along it for probably forever.

                The further along they got, the more Taemin seemed to shake and hold back sobs, squeezing the elder’s hand as if he was holding on for his life.

                Minho felt like he was holding on for his.

                This was really his last chance.

                If he couldn’t do anything, at least he’d apologize for wasting the boy’s past few years, for promising him a happily ever after he couldn’t give.

 

 

 

                They continued along the riverside, passing by so much scenery they’d usually appreciate on any other occasion.

                A wooden bridge came up on their right and they decided to cross it.

                That’s when they saw a dog sprinting somewhere only he knew, jumping into the river and looking shocked that there was water in it, climbing back out and running where he came from.

                Standing on the bridge, watching that chain of events unfold, they both found the chance to laugh.

                Hearing Taemin laugh was something Minho hadn’t heard in a long while and it hurt his heart hearing another sniffle come after it the moment he remembered the situation they were in.

                Instead of walking any further, he took a deep breath, arguing with ‘should I’s and ‘should I not’s in his head when he asked himself if he should confront the younger boy.

                That’s when he decided to just say whatever came to his mind first and deal with the aftermath later. After all, he needed his raw emotions to come out so that he could fix this problem, for better or for worse.

                But what if Taemin didn’t put the same effort into this?

                What if he didn’t try and this ended up like all their other conversations?

                What if this just continued to be the tangled mess it is now?

                Feeling slight agitated by Taemin’s sniffling and his own negative thoughts, he let the boy’s hand go and turned around, meeting his watery eyes.

                He felt his own begin to water at the sight.

                Huffing, he said the first words he could think of.

               

 

 

                “Are you done yet?”

                The younger boy struggled to hold in a sob now more than ever.

                “Are you done yet? W-with… with this? With this mess? I-it’s been a couple of months now and I hate myself. Have you gotten your revenge?”

                Taemin stared at him for a second, trying with his heart and soul to keep himself together, but within seconds, all his did was fall apart.

                Letting all the sobs out, he nodded. The tears flooded his eyes and his voice was lost but his legs found the strength to carry him forward and in that moment, he stumbled into Minho’s arms, hugging him as tight as he could.

                Feeling the younger boy’s frame against his own larger one felt like heaven and he didn’t hesitate for even a second before throwing his arms around him, squeezing him in an embrace as his sobs joined Taemin’s.

                They cried for several minutes before they could even begin to speak.

                Then there was some silent offer which Taemin accepted and within seconds, he was lifted, locking his legs around Minho’s waist while drying his eyes on the elder’s shoulder. He was sat on the bridge railing but didn’t let the elder go.

                Deep breath after deep breath, they finally managed to calm down.

                Taemin was the first to say anything, managing an “I’m sorry.”

                “Please don’t apologize. This is all my fault.”

                He shook his head, “No… I should have just told you what was bothering me…”

                “You tried, Kitten. I didn’t listen.”

                Taemin’s reply took a few minutes.

                “If you came home ten minutes later, I would have… me and Jongin would have…”

                The younger boy started crying again, burying his face in his hands.

                “I can’t blame you if you really want to do that with him. Did you really want to do that with him?” He asked, resting his chin on the top of Taemin’s head.

                The brunette shook his head as quickly as he could manage.

                “I thought it would help me get over you… It would prove… I don’t know, something…”

                “Oh no, Taemin, please don’t ever try to get over me. I know I’ll never be able to get over you. I don’t want you to leave me… Listen, I know it’s been a hard past few months. I know you’ve been hurting far longer and far more than me.” Pulling back, Minho put a space between them. “If you tell me to leave you now, well, I deserve it and I will. If that’s what you want, then this will be my final goodbye.”

                “No! I don’t want you to leave me! I-... I still love you and… if you leave, I’ll move to a different country!”

                Minho chuckled at that proclamation. “You wouldn’t do that.”

                “I would! I’d go join one of my parents wherever they are! I can’t stand the thought of there being a chance that I might run into you but not be able to kiss or hold you!”

                “Is that how you feel?”

                “Yeah…”

                “Then is it okay if I…” Minho paused, bringing his hand into view. Taemin’s engagement ring rested in his palm, “Is it okay if I put this back on and call you my husband-to-be?”

                “It’s all I’ve wanted this whole time…”

                Hearing those words, Minho slipped the band back on his fourth finger, sealing it with a kiss.

                The elder sighed.

                “Hyung, what is it?”

                “Kitten, ever since you left me, my grades have slipped a lot. I also quit my job a few days ago so I won’t be able to pay my side of the rent for more than the foreseeable future and well… I have a lot of work to do. I’m worried.”

                Taemin shook his head, lifting Minho’s lowered one to meet the height of his own. “Don’t worry about that. Focus on school. I’ll call my parents and ask them for help. My mom said she’ll be there if we need anything. Hyung, we’re not perfect. Everyone needs to rely on someone at one point or another. I promise it’ll be okay.”

                Hearing those words filled his stomach with butterflies and soon enough, he pulled Taemin into a tight embrace. “I’ve missed you so much… I… I knew I needed you in my life, but I never would have thought that it would be this much. I- I promise to try my best and become the man you deserve.”

                Taemin smiled, his hand cupping Minho’s cheek. “How funny, that man is already standing right in front of me.”

 

 

 

A/N: In case any of you don't know, I recently uploaded a Kaisoo fic. Feel free to check it out. Or not, whatever works: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/805416/addiction-shinee-taemin-exo-taekai-jongin-taesoo-kyungsoo