Chapter 103

False Awakening

                Minho really was set on adopting this child. The closer Taemin got to graduating, the more work he put into the room that was now empty, being repainted with a suitable baby blue.

                Taemin would always stand at the doorway, watching as the elder slaved away, working as if time was slipping away from him. “We have time.” He would always remind the boy.

                “Yeah, but it’s a long process. Do you really want to put it off longer than necessary?”

                “But baby… You’re acting like we’re getting the kid tomorrow. Just relax. Let’s go out. What do you think about that?”

                “Just let me finish this.”

                “Stubborn as always.” Taemin smiled, entering the room, crouching down beside Minho and picking up a brush, “Okay, then I guess I’ll help.”

                Placing his first stoke, he had to agree that it did feel a bit therapeutic. It also made him think of how this would look ten years from now, when they were raising their child.

                “You know, you graduate this year. Next year, I can start filling out the papers and-”

                “Hey, let’s not finish this room.” Taemin interrupted. “Let’s just leave it like this or move your stuff back in.”

                “What? No. Why?”

                “What if we can’t get a kid?! What if they decide a single guy can’t raise a child?! What if they find out that you’re gay and say no?! What if we can’t adopt a kid, Minho?! Do you really want to look back on this room every time you walk by and remember that you can’t have the thing you want the most?!”

                “We’re going to get him! Trust me! I’ll do everything I can!”

                “Sometimes that’s just not enough!”

                “Why are you being so pessimistic…”

                “I’m being realistic.”

                Minho sighed, frustrated beyond belief. Taemin was right.

 

 

 

 

               

                It was hot. Minho was sweating, Taemin was sweating, their air conditioner was on but wasn’t helping much. Despite all of this, they were extremely focused.

                The younger boy watched silently as Minho penned word after word down, sever documents splayed out across the tabletop. The only sound was a mechanical hum and lead scratching paper.

                Stretching, he decided he’d walk over to the kitchen, taking a freezing jug of orange juice out of the fridge, pouring the juice into two cups. Putting it back into the cold he wished he could be in, he took the two cooling glasses, bringing them back to the table.

                “Thank you.” Minho managed. It was quiet though. So quiet that if he wasn’t focusing, he wouldn’t have heard it.

                “You’re welcome.”

                The flipping of pages filled the room as Minho looked over everything once, twice, thrice. He finished on the last page, the tip of his pen resting on a bold line.

                “Just one more signature and I’m done. This is kind of a big deal, huh?”

                “Yeah. It’s better to just get it over with, isn’t it?” He smiled, his jet black hair in the same mess it was in when he woke up. Placing his hand over Minho’s, he put the tip of the pen to the page. “Just do it.”

                Nodding, he took a deep breath, marking the page with his signature.

                “We mail this in and it’ll take about a week to get reviewed. Then, I’ll be working with a social worker for two to four months. Then, there’s all the legality… that’s about twelve to eighteen months… if all goes well, we shouldn’t have to wait more than two years to have a kid. Is this okay with you, Taemin?”

                “Yeah, it’s okay with me.”

                Taking another deep breath, he took the papers, placing them in large envelope.

 

 

 

 

 

                A week later, they were at the airport. Jongin had his arms around Taemin. Their embrace was so tight that Minho didn’t know who would faint first.

                “I’m going to miss you, Jongin…”

                “I’m going to miss you too Tae… text me every day, okay?”

                “Only if you promise to come back for Christmas and New Year’s…”

                “I promise.”

                An alarm went off on the younger boy’s phone, the fifth one in the last thirty minutes. “Okay, you really have to go now. We’ve been standing here for an hour just crying. If you cry any longer, you’re going to miss your plane.”

                Sniffling, the younger boy gave Taemin one last hug, the tightest he could muster, before giving his parents hugs and kisses too. Moments later, he disappeared down a packed hallway.

                Taemin appreciated the strong arm that laced around his waist. He also appreciated the sleeve that wiped his cheeks and nose. “It’s only temporary.”

                “You know… a year doesn’t seem long in comparison to a lifetime, but it feels long in comparison to today…” The boy managed in a shaky voice, turning around, burying his face in the elder’s chest.

                “Think about it this way, when he comes back, you’ll be able to get free English lessons.” Minho tried to cheer him up, not really changing the mood much if at all.

                “What’s a kid like him doing going across the world to live by himself in a place where they don’t speak his language and he doesn’t speak theirs for a whole year? He doesn’t even do his laundry…”

                “It’s because you baby him.” Minho said, kissing Taemin’s neck as he turned them around, leading the boy to their car after saying goodbye to Jongin’s parents.

                Minho knew Taemin would be down in the dumps the whole day if not the next few to come. He took him out a lot to make up for it.

                “You don’t have to do this.” Taemin would tell him.

                “I want you to be as happy as I am. You know, I’m really happy our application got accepted, and you were too. I understand you won’t see your best friend for a long time, but I don’t want you to lose that happiness. Share in on it with me.”

                Taemin nodded. “Yeah, sorry. I’ll try my best to be happy.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                Minho spent a lot of time out of home and in the home with a social worker. It did disrupt their love life a little bit. When he was out of home, they obviously couldn’t be together. When the social worker came home with him, they couldn’t be romantic.

                Taemin introduced himself as a childhood friend. They lived together because of their relationship as best friends and the proximity to Minho’s school as well as Taemin’s usual work locations.

                She asked them if they both worked and they said yes, followed by their yearly income. She then asked how Minho planned to take care of the kid if he was a full time student and had a job.

                “Minho is the only one planning to adopt, but as his friend, I’d definitely help out financially and everything too. There did come a time where he was the only one that worked. He managed to support me and another friend for several months so even if I didn’t, he’s good to go.” Taemin explained.

                Although he wasn’t partaking in any of the lessons, he got to know her somewhat well each time she came over. He would try his best to earn brownie points, making meals, getting drinks, taking care of her as if she was a queen. He definitely grew on her.

               

 

 

                Minho studied hard and memorized everything he was told. He wanted this. He would do anything for this.

                He successfully graduated from the lessons after two months and twenty seven days.

                Coming home with the news, as well as three huge packets of more paperwork, he practically jumped on Taemin, who was falling asleep on the couch.

                “Is everything alright!?” He asked, falling into a panic.

                “Everything is perfect, Taemin! It really is!”

                “What?” He asked, calming now that he knew it wasn’t bad news.

              “I passed all the requirements! She even added in that I did it with ‘flying colours’! Do you know how great that is?!”

                Taemin’s face lit up as he grabbed Minho by his cheeks, pulling him in for a passionate kiss. “Congratulations!”

                “Kitten, we’re a whole step closer!”

                They were both bursting with emotion, unbelievably so. They were bursting so much that hands ended up under clothes and the sofa turned into the bed. Light turned into dark and silence turned into moans. It was far more passionate than they usually were but they didn’t mind. Their bodies, minds, and everything else was feeling it tonight.

                Passionate, in love, and happy, they spend the night in each other’s arms.

 

 

 

 

 

 

                They were at the post office, making sure each envelope had the right stamps.

                Taemin stood behind him, watching in anticipation.

                “You’re doing good, baby.” He smiled, getting his black locks ruffled.

                “Thanks, Kitten.” Minho chuckled, handing his envelopes to the woman behind the counter.

                “These are heavy!” She gasped, laughing. “I’m guessing they’re very important, huh?”

                Minho nodded, “Yeah, adoption.”

                “Oh, wow! That’s interesting. Please don’t answer if you feel uncomfortable and forgive me if I offend you, but… is your wife infertile?”

                He grew quiet, nodding to himself as he thought something over. “Yeah, I guess it’s something like that. It’s a little bit of a different situation though. And don’t worry about it. I’m not offended. I’m just so happy I might finally be able to have a child.”

                “I’m sure you’re also happy to have friends supporting you.” She smiled, looking in Taemin’s direction. He smiled back politely.

                “Yeah. I have great support.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                They sat on the balcony, eating watermelon. Taemin kept staring at Minho, leaving the elder to wonder if there was something on his face.

                “Kitten, is everything alright?”

                Taemin smiled. It was bright, and cheerful, and beautiful. “Yeah, I was just thinking of how great of a father you’re going to be.”

                Minho blushed, looking away. “You’re going to be a good dad too…”

                “Not legally.” Taemin chuckled, but Minho didn’t know if it was really a laugh.

                “Oh come on, paperwork doesn’t mean anything.”

                “I know.”

                “It’s bugging you.”

                “No.”

                “Yes.”

                Taemin didn’t argue. He simply smiled, staring at the floor. “I’m going to go take a shower.” He said, getting out of his seat, sliding the screen door shut behind him.

                Minho wondered if he should be so happy when Taemin was feeling like this. Well, obviously Taemin didn’t specifically state he was upset, but it was all over his face. Maybe he couldn’t feel it because he would legally be the dad, but maybe there really is some aspect of being left out that he doesn’t understand. That frustrated him a bit. How was Taemin really feeling? He wasn’t really bringing up his feeling about the topic. All he’s been doing was supporting Minho.

                He then began to wonder if he’d been forcing this on Taemin the whole time. Maybe Taemin didn’t even want a child. Maybe he just wanted Minho to be happy and so he played along with this idea of his to the point where he can’t say no anymore.

                Biting the inside of his cheek, he followed the younger boy’s trail, walking in on him in the process of stripping. Shocked, the boy jumped, grabbing at his chest. “Oh my god, you scared me…”

                “Can we talk?”

                “Later. You know I’m about to shower. Unless- is it something short?”

                “No.”

                “Then wait, okay?”

                “No.”

                “Sorry?”

                “No. Here, let’s sit.” He decided for the both of them, dragging the boy to the bed, sitting him down.

                “What’s there to talk about?”

                “I could terminate the application.” He bluntly stated. He watched as Taemin’s eyes widened, jaw dropping.

                “What? Are you dumb? No! Why would you do that?”

                “Because I want to raise a family with you. The whole point about having a kid is that I have it with you. If you don’t want to, then there’s really no point.”

                “Of course I want to have a kid with you…”

                “You don’t sound very sure of that…” Minho sighed, hesitant with taking the boy’s hand.

                Smiling blankly, he started standing up once more, pulled back down.

                “I’m happy.”

                “Don’t lie to me. Is it about the paperwork?”

                “It’s fine.”

                “Then I guess we’re sitting here forever.”

                The younger boy sighed, scratching his head. “It’s stupid, okay? Just forget about it.”

                “It’s not stupid if it’s bothering you.”

                “Step parents exist all over the world, so it’s fine.”

                “Yeah, but I don’t think step parents have anything to do with you.”

                Taemin shrugged. Minho shouldn’t be worrying about him. He should be worrying about his kid. “Minho, I’m going to go shower now.”

                “Okay. I’ll go call and tell them I’m canceling.”

                “No!” He yelled, throwing his leg over Minho’s lap and sitting in it, preventing him from leaving.

                “Then tell me what’s wrong.”

                “I’m insecure.” Taemin sighed, dropping his forehead on the elder’s shoulder. “I’m insecure because I’ll be like… an illegitimate father.”

                So he was right. Taemin really was feeling this way all along.

                “Listen, you’ll always be the father. You’re going to raise him, feed him, home him, pay for his things, everything a father would. You’ll be the father.”

                “Yeah I know… it’s just… it’s just my stupid way of thinking. Don’t worry about me, Minho. I’m fine, I promise. Sometimes I just have an off day because, you know, the way I imagined it was like… we walk into an orphanage, the cutest boy in the world smiles at us, we know he’s the one, he knows were the ones, we sign a form, take him home, and love each other forever… I never imagined having to work around all these loopholes and having to watch out because we’re gay, or because you’re a student, or because you’d be a single parent… all this stuff… I understand why it’s necessary because they want to give the kids the best lives ever but it’s just… I feel like we’re not the typical, textbook case of a loving family, but we can love a child too even though we’re two guys and young.” He sighed, “I just… you know…”

                “I know…” Minho nodded. He understood every concern all too well because he was living through them just as much. “Look, until the moment we adopt, we can change our minds, so let me know if anything like that happens. Just tell me everything that’s on your mind.”

                Taemin nodded.

                Holding hands, the two went to the shower, and although Minho wasn’t planning on washing up, he joined the younger boy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                “One more month.” Jongin smiled, the camera capturing all of his features.

                “One more month. Are you sad?”

                “A little. I made some really good friends here. Still, I’d rather give them all up to see you again.”

                Taemin smiled, running his thin fingers through his thick hair. “It’s going to be good to have you back. If it wasn’t for my schedule matching up with Minho’s, I’d be alone a lot more.”

                “Well even when he’s at work, you’re not alone because you’re chatting with me.” Jongin cheered. The elder noticed the mess behind the boy, asking if he did his laundry yet. “I’ll do it later.” He replied.

                “You always say later. How have you not run out of clothes yet?”

                “Ah, the moment I came here I bought a shirt for every single day I’d be here.”

                “Wow, your jokes have only gotten lamer. I changed my mind. I actually don’t want you to come back.”

                “Tae, don’t be a bully.”

                “I’ll be a bully.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

                Taemin was behind the wheel, unbelievably excited as he drove up to the airport.

                The weather was perfect, the roads weren’t too busy, his iced coffee was delicious. Now all that was left to do was pick up his best friend.

                Pulling up, a familiar face already caught his attention. Naturally, the excitement overwhelmed him. Parking right up next to the curb, popping the trunk open, he jumped out, barely looking both ways before running into Jongin’s arms.

                They embraced each other just as tightly as they did the day Jongin left, or maybe it was much tighter.

                Taking a deep breath, they inhaled each other’s scents, closing their eyes as the cherished the moment.

                “I missed you so much Taemin.”

                “I missed you too, Jongin.” He smiled, laughing as he was lifted and carried over to the car on one of the younger boy’s hip, Jongin’s free hand opening the door. Placing him in the passenger seat, he ruffled Taemin’s hair before going back to put his luggage into the back, slamming it shut.

                Minutes later they were on the highway and Jongin was finally on the way home. His real home.

                “So how has the place changed while I was gone?”

                “It’s changed… probably quite a bit. One room particularly.”

                “My room?” Jongin laughed, “Ready to kick me out?”

                “No.” Taemin snorted, “The kid room.”

                “Ah, the kid room. I can’t wait to finally see it in person.”

                “I think you’ll like it a lot.”

 

 

 

 

                They parked and Minho came downstairs to help with the luggage. Jongin thanked him and they made their way upstairs.

                They put Jongin’s things down and the first thing Taemin did was take his hand and pull him into a nearby room. That was his first look.

                The walls were a pale blue. Each piece of furniture matched completely; blue and white colours with adorable green frogs sitting on water lilies scattered about as a detail. The bookshelf was already packed with children’s books that were ready to be read to a little boy right before bed and there was a whole section with bean bags and a small table, a box with crayons neatly in the center. It was such a perfectly organized room ready for what would probably be the most fortunate and loved boy ever.

                “Wow, it looks amazing. Neither of us had it this well.” Jongin commented reminded of his bedroom as well as Taemin’s, back when they were kids. “So how much time is left?”

                “Between two and six months.” Taemin smiled.

                “Are you ready? Anxious?”

                “I’m… I just want to be a father.”

                “You’ll make a great one judging by how well you take care of me. Anyways, help me with my stuff, alright?” He began, pulling Taemin back into the hallway, noticing how his face lit up at the sight of his child-to-be’s room. “It’s good to see you again.”

                “It’s good to see you again too. Let’s have a movie night.”

                Happy to be back where he belonged, Jongin nodded. “Yeah, I’d love that.”