Chapter 24

False Awakening

Buta – pig

Ojisan – A honorific added when addressing an older man

              The heavy bed sheets stored heat, in turn keeping the cool air out. The morning sun added a orange tint to the room, lighting it just enough so that you could make everything out. It was dead silent with the exception of synchronized breathing. Taemin glanced over at the digital clock which informed him of the early hours. He placed his hand on the mattress, searching for leverage to aid his attempt of getting up. His hair was something that took shape of a knotted mess on his head, strands defying gravity as they fell this way and that. He began to lift himself, restricted from continuing any further as two hands s around him, bringing his numb body back down. "Taemin, you're not leaving, are you?" a deep, voice groaned. "No, Hyung. I just wanted to get a drink." The older boy raised his arms, locking them around Taemin's smaller frame. "Liar." Taemin laughed, burrowing into the warm boy's chest. "Why would I lie to you?" Taemin questioned. "You just seem like the type to disappear in the morning" Minho joked. "Oh, please." Taemin found the power to sit up this time, throwing his legs over the side of the bed. His feet searched the floor for slippers, a purchase Minho had made ahead of time to deliver comfort to the younger boy in his home. Taemin watched Minho watch him, the older boy sitting up himself, the covers slipping down onto his lap. "Tae," Minho whispered.  "What is it?" The boy answered. "Can I kiss you?" he leaned in, their noses brushing. "Well, I mean, because you asked, I'm going to say no." Taemin teased. Regardless, Minho took his lips. Taemin lifted his hand, cupping Minho's cheek, closing his eyes as the sound of their lips touching echoed throughout the room. Minho surprised Taemin with a quick change in pace as his lips began to slide from against to around Taemin's, causing the boy to pull away. Nevertheless, Minho followed through, leaning away with the boy. He took Taemin's arms and put them over his shoulders, guiding Taemin's actions. He in turn took his lips off of Taemin's, leaving kisses all over his body. Taemin felt one on his shoulder,  then his collarbone, then his jaw, and soon enough on his cheek. He repeated the pattern on the other side before continuing another random one. He pursued that for about a minute before glancing up at Taemin from underneath the boy's chin. Taemin blushed, averting his eyes as he bit his lip. "Hyung, you’re so embarrassing." Minho's lips curved up, revealing his teeth. "I'm sorry, Minnie. It's been such a long time since you came over to my place and it's the first time since we started dating. I don't know, you're just so kissable. It's hard to contain myself."  He explained. Taemin blushed at the thought, leaning in and quickly pecking Minho's cheek who then himself began to smile, unaccustomed to Taemin taking the initiative. He chuckled, watching Taemin shrink from embarrassment. Taemin's phone buzzed,  catching both of their attentions. He reached for it and read the message, throwing himself to his feet. "Oh no! I'm going to be late!" Minho tried to reach for Taemin’s hand but didn’t make it in time as the boy was already shedding Minho’s borrowed clothes, picking his up off the floor. “Late for what?” Taemin hurried away to the bathroom, squeezing a bit too much toothpaste onto his brush before shoving it in his mouth, scrubbing away viciously. “I have to pick up Ruki from the airport.” Minho was now sitting up, making his way to the kitchen. “Don’t go. Stay here and have breakfast.” Taemin ran around the room, collecting his clothing before shoving it away to the bag. He ran from the living room to the bathroom several stuff, coming out with his hair up in a messy ponytail after one of the visits. A toaster popped sometime in between. “I promised, Hyung.” He threw his coat on and was now making his way to the door, his hand on the doorknob before Minho spotted him and called out. “Hey, hey, hey! At least have a piece of toast!” Minho pleaded as Taemin turned around, releasing the doorknob. He lifted a piece of warm toast to Taemin’s lips, rubbing it against his lower one, allowing the toast to slip in. Taemin took a bite, chewing it thoroughly and swallowing. “Do you really have to go?” Taemin nodded before Minho imitated him in an understanding manner. “I keep my promises, plus school starts tomorrow and I need to make sure I have all my homework and assignments done.” Minho sighed, whispering an ‘alright’ before leaning in a kissing Taemin for a persuasively long time, nearly long enough to have made Taemin change his mind about leaving. When the kiss had dragged out and Taemin had felt in more of a rush than ever, he turned his head to the side, causing Minho’s to fall slightly forward. “Hyung~” Taemin whined. Minho pouted, patting Taemin’s shoulder. “Just be safe, okay?” Taemin smiled, wrapping his arms around Minho’s neck, giving him a tight squeeze. “I will.” He reassured him before Minho finally let him out into the early morning.

              “Shoot.” Taemin thought as he walked into the airport. “I didn’t think the bus would get here so fast. I guess that there aren’t many people to request stops at this hour.” He checked his watch. “There’s still twenty minutes until the plane arrives, not to mention getting all his bearing and such. I probably have a bit of time.” He stopped in his tracks, looking around for a bench. He sat down, leaning back into the backrest as he yawned. He stared from wall to wall for a few minutes before deciding to pull his phone out. He took use of the airport’s free Wi-Fi to read some news. As the seconds ticked away the minutes, Taemin noticed a figure from the corner of his eye that kept getting closer and closer.  Once it was only a few meters away, he lifted his eyes. He was slightly worried as he caught the gaze of a very familiar person. They held each other’s eyes until Taemin could no longer take the pressure and looked back down to his phone. The taller of the two sat down, taking his place next to Taemin who reacted by scooting away. They both sat in silence before finally the other spoke up. “Hey.” He said in a quiet tone. “Hello.” Taemin offered, not looking away from his phone. “What are you doing here?” They asked. “I’m picking up a friend.” Taemin explained as simply as he could. “Friend? Someone from school?” They asked, hoping for something to build off of. “I don’t have any friends at school, in case that wasn’t clear enough. You of all people should know.” He replied in a retaliating manner. There was more silence. “My mom went to Japan to visit a sick aunt. She’s coming back today.” Taemin raised his head, staring at the other now. “Jiyong, why are you talking to me?” The boy shrugged. “Do I need a reason?” Taemin went back to his phone, slouching down further. “I guess not. You usually don’t have one when you beat me up.” The boy his tongue, turning himself slightly as he looked at him. “Taemin, when’s the last time I laid a finger on you?” Taemin hadn’t even lifted his eyes, grunting as he crossed one leg over the other. “I don’t care when it was. You and your group of friends, if that’s what you want to call them, hit me every day and if you don’t get the opportunity, you shout names at me.” Jiyong turned to him, his voice louder than it needed to be. “Can you just shut up about that?” An airy chuckle slipped out between Taemin’s lips as the older boy finished the sentence, receiving a message from Minho. ‘Minnie, you forgot your socks! You were in too much of a rush; I told you that you should have stayed for breakfast! I’ll wash them and give them back to you whenever you’re free.’ Taemin smiled at the thought of Minho doing his laundry, replying with a ‘Thank you, Hyung~ <3’ He pressed send, keeping the screen set to the chat as he stared at the picture of Minho’s face. “Are you talking with him?” Jiyong asked. “Talking with whom?” Taemin questioned. “Your boyfriend?” He nodded. “Yeah. I just came from his house. Apparently I forgot some stuff there.” He felt like he had nothing to lose and explained. “You slept over?” Jiyong wanted to clarify. “Yeah. He usually sleeps over but I went over instead.” The older boy swallowed. “So you guys do ‘it’ often?” Taemin snorted, leaning his head back, tilting it towards Jiyong. “I don’t know what your relationships are like, but sleeping together doesn’t mean we’re going to do ‘it’. We just share a bed. I like his company.” Taemin thought about how different sleeping used to be when he always did it alone.  The bed was a lot colder and there was a lot more room but that wasn't necessarily a good thing. "So what's he like?" Jiyong asked. "What do you care?" Taemin challenged. "I don't. Just tell me." The smaller boy rolled his eyes, sighing. "He's funny, really handsome, he's in university -"  Jiyong raised an eyebrow. "How'd you snag a university student?" Taemin shrugged. "It was either my flaming charisma or my stunning looks." This got a laugh out of Jiyong and half of Taemin didn't mind, but the other half hated it. They talked for a bit and Taemin's stiff body began to relax.  Suddenly, Jiyong's eyes caught something. "That ring looks good on you. It suits you, I think. Do you like it?" Taemin nodded. "Do you know who go it for you?" This time he shook his head. "Oh... Well it looks really good on you." He offered. "Thanks." Taemin's attention was torn away from Jiyong as a tapping noise somewhere off in the distance grew louder and quicker. He spotted a tall, darkly yet fashionably dressed boy running towards him. Taemin got up to his feet as he caught the boy's eyes, a high pitched scream coming from his mouth. "Tae-chan!~" They ran towards each other until their chests collided, wrapping their arms tight around the running person. "Ruki! I missed you so much!" Taemin admitted, not realising it until it was suddenly  very quiet after the other's departure. Ruki burrowed his face into Taemin's messy hair, planting kisses on his scalp. "Were you lonely without me? I was lonely, Nyaa~" Taemin laughed, nodding. "I was. Minho kept me company though." Ruki began swaying him back and forth, his smile holding its ground on his face. "He didn't do anything weird to you did he? I'll kick his if he did." Taemin shook his head, giggling. "No, he didn't." Taemin confirmed. "Good man." Ruki noticed the boy sitting on the bench that had been watching them. "Is this a friend of yours?" He asked. Taemin looked over, holding eye contact with Jiyong before shaking his head. "No, he's not my friend." Ruki added an 'ah' before nodding apologetically. They boy had a deflated look on his face but Taemin couldn't care less. Why did he have to lie about something that was completely true. He took Ruki's arm in his as they began to walk the other way towards the exit. There was an unexpected tug on his free arm, causing him to turn around. "Taemin, I'll see you at school tomorrow, okay?.. Bye." He let the shocked Taemin go, watching them walk towards the exit. "I thought you said you didn't know him, Tae-chan?" Ruki called a taxi, waving his hand. "I know him, but he's not my friend. You might even say that he's the opposite." Ruki shot him a curious glance as a cab drove near. “Don’t think about it too much, Ruki.” He gave him a tight squeeze on the arm which made Ruki instantly light up and nod in obedience, getting into the car together.

                “And there were so many people there and everyone was in all traditional clothes and I wore kimono and I looked so kawaii. I’ll show you a picture at the hotel. You should wear a kimono you know, Tae-chan? Maybe you have some photos of you in a hanbok? I’d like to see them if you do, hai?” As the car slowed down to a halt, Taemin looked out the window. “Wait, is this the right place?” He looked back at Ruki who was already getting out of the car. “Hai.” Taemin followed his lead, astonished. “Don’t they charge, like, thousands of dollars a night here?” Ruki nodded. “Five thousand eight hundred ninety-eight dollars and forty-nine cents, to be exact. Yup, this is where I stay~ if you ever want to come over Tae-chan, you know where to look!” Once his bags were all in hand, they made their way inside to where the whole staff seemed to greet them with a smile. “Ah, Ruki, are you back already?” The concierge greeted. “Was I not gone long enough for you Buta-Ojisan?” He pouted. “Not at all. You still have the same room. Would you like someone to help you with your luggage?” Ruki shook his head. “No, I have Tae-chan here. He may look small and cute, but he’s very reliable.” He praised, leaving Taemin with an awkward blush on his cheeks. “Alright, make your way upstairs than.” Ruki waved as they walked away, smiling brightly. “Bye, bye Buta-Ojisan!” They entered the elevator and the doors closed as Ruki pressed the button sporting the number 21, one of the last floors. “Doesn’t Buta mean pig?” He asked. Ruki confirmed it. “Good job, Tae-chan! Yes it does.” He patted Taemin’s shoulder. “Why do you call him Buta-Ojisan?” He questioned. “Because he kind of reminds me of a pig.” Simple enough. Taemin felt extremely uncomfortable in his sweat pants and pullover when everyone that passed them were dressed in suits that cost more than his monthly rent for half the year. “We’re almost here~” Ruki announced. They entered through a door and if Taemin’s jaw could fall off, it would have. There was a huge room with everything you could imagine laid out. There was a giant fireplace in the center and a table for ten to the side. The bathroom, which could be seen through an open door, alone, was the size of Taemin’s whole house. “What are you; A king?!” Taemin asked, astonished at the least. “Well, this is actually the presidential suite.” Taemin put the bags down. “Are you unbelievably rich or something?” Ruki took Taemin by the hand, leading him to the couch where he sat him down. “So tell me about your holidays now that I told you everything about mine~” Ruki urged, bouncing Taemin on his lap. “It was good. I already told you most of it. I spent Christmas with Minho and his family, and then I spent New Year’s with Minho as well and some friends of his. I spent last night at Minho’s place-” Ruki laughed, rolling his eyes. “Minho, Minho, Minho~” He imitated. Taemin blushed, a small pout forming on his lips. “I didn’t have anyone else to spend it with!” He reasoned, his hands on his hips. “Is Minho good?” Taemin shrugged. “We haven’t done anything.” He admitted honestly. “What about kissing? You’ve done that.” Taemin shook his head. “I’d like to say yes, but I’ve never kissed anyone else.” He glanced away. “Then how about we kiss and you can compare it?” Ruki stuck out his tongue, leaning in as he dragged it up the length of Taemin’s face. “You’re so gross Ruki!” Taemin fell backwards, onto the floor, scurrying away as he wiped his face on his shirt over and over.  Ruki laughed as he dropped himself down to the floor; crawling over to Taemin before dropping his dead weight onto him, laying, sprawled over Taemin. “Ruki, you’re gross, go away! I’m gunna punch you!” Taemin threatened in anything but a threatening manner. “You wouldn’t hit me, would you?” Ruki taunted, pinching Taemin’s cheeks. “No…” Taemin began wiggling until he had lots of room to sit up, sliding from beneath him. “Ruki, I have to go… school starts tomorrow, you know? I have to get ready and wash my uniform.” He explained, getting up. “Well I’m not letting you go~” Ruki clung onto Taemin’s legs, making him immobile. “Ruki! I have to gooooo!” He whined, crouching so the he lightly sat on the older boy’s head. “Well I don’t want you to go. Just drop out of school like I did. We can travel the world!” He sang. “Oh! I also need to give you all your gifts!” He sprang up and ran to one of the suitcases, ping it. “Here you go! I didn’t have enough room in my suitcases so I had to buy another one. You can keep the suitcase too!” He rolled the suitcase over to Taemin. “How much money did you waste?!” Ruki reached for Taemin’s hand, forcing the handle into it. “None because it was all spent on you! If you don’t take it, then it’ll be wasted because all this stuff is too small for me!” Taemin huffed, unable to retort, taking the suitcase against his will. “Fine.” Ruki smiled, kissing Taemin’s cheek. “Do you want me to see you downstairs?” He offered as he followed the boy to the door. “No, that’s okay. I’ll be fine. I just have to hit the ‘G’ button on the elevator, right?” Ruki nodded. “Yup. Go home and try everything on and send me pictures. Or better yet, wear it and whenever you’re wearing it, just come to visit me!” Taemin laughed, looking back through the door. “Won’t that take around a month?” Ruki pushed the boy towards the elevator, smiling. “Hopefully.” He got into the elevator and pressed the button for the ground level, feeling the elevator descend.

Seeing Jiyong today really reminded me of how I used to be before Minho, before Ruki…

So vulnerable…

So alone…

I’ve changed so much.

              He looked at the suitcase before taking his phone out, sending a message to both Minho and Ruki, typing away in the spacious elevator.

Thank you so much for being with me.
I hope we can spend many more years
together. I love you!~

                Less than a minute later, he received two messages.

From: Ruki
Message: Tae-chan… TT n TT I love
you so much Tae-chan!  We’ll make
beautiful babies someday, okay? I
promise! Ai eru! <33333333333

From: Minho
Message: Taemin-ah, you say the cutest
things… I want to see you right now. I’m
coming over. I need to see your face…….

                Taemin laughed, thinking of how fast he got used to this idea of relationships and how he hoped it wouldn’t all be taken from him one day out of nowhere. That would be a nightmare.