Chapter 40

False Awakening

                Kai was antsy the whole day. He was far more excited than any of the others probably were. He continued to ask Taemin if it was possible for them to leave school early, just leave. “Kai, there’s no difference in time between if we leave now or if we stay. We’re still going to leave for the same train.” Kai sighed. “I know, but the day’s going by so slowly! Doesn’t it feel that way to you too?” Taemin smiled, shaking his head. “No, I don’t really.” Kai pouted as he watched the dreadfully slow second hand ticking away. “Don’t worry, you’ll survive.”

                As Taemin predicted, Kai survived, but just barely. Kai rushed them home immediately after the bell had rung, wasting no time. They were home quicker than any other day. The older boy smiled to himself, noticing a familiar figure wandering around his house through the window. “Ruki’s here,” He said. Before they even went for the door, it swung open and a tall, lanky boy clothed in all black ran out. He wrapped his arms around Taemin, seemingly squeezing the breath out of him. “Tae-chan~ I miss your beautiful face. Please give me lots of kissed and hugs over the next few days!” They stumbled inside, Kai following quietly, closing the door.

“Ah~” The stranger finally said, acknowledging the youngest of the group. “You must be Kai! Nice to meet you~ I’m Tae-chan’s friend, fiancé, fashion guru and just about everything else.” He greeted in a preppy manner that didn’t suit his edge, somewhat intimidating appearance. “I’m Taemin’s childhood friend, Kai.” Ruki stared at him in awe. “Wow~ I wish I could have knew him since I was younger too. I’m so jealous. How did you two meet?” Taemin was happy to see Ruki’s personality ease and possibilities of a tense atmosphere. Their luggage, all three of theirs, was packed neatly in the corner of the room. Taemin had prepared some food before school, tiny sandwich squares, to feed them before they had to leave. He took out the plate, setting it down on the table. Kai seemed just as happy with Ruki’s friendliness, making it easier to get along. He summarised the first time Taemin and his parents first walked into their restaurant and how they ended up playing in the corner, underneath one of the old tables. 

“What about you?” Kai asked. “How did you two meet?” Ruki smiled, cupping his cheeks as he swayed from side to side. “It was love at first sight~” He began, earning a giggle from Taemin. “He was at the grocery store buying fruits. I saw him from far away and instantly knew he was the one!” Kai found himself amused by how animatedly the boy told the story, arms flailing in all directions. “I went up to him and mustered up every piece of Korean I could think of, wooing him. He reciprocated perfectly, and that’s how we ended up married.” He picked up one of the sandwiches in a dainty manner, popping it into his mouth. “Korean? I’m pretty sure the whole first line of what you said to me was in Japanese. I didn’t understand a thing! Then you went on to buy me food and cook it in my own house without permission.” Ruki nodded proudly. “And see where that’s got me? It’s great! Speaking of which, how’s your second husband? When will he arrive?” Taemin waved the question off. “Ruki, do you want anything to drink? Or maybe you, Kai?” They both nodded, asking for some coca cola. “Speaking of which, I haven’t been here in a while, huh? Definitely not while Kai had moved in with you. How long has it been, Tae-chan?” Taemin shrugged. “I’m not too sure. It’s not like we haven’t been talking or seeing each other, you just haven’t come over to my house in a few months.” They both looked at the youngest when they heard him laughing. “Ah, I’m sorry,” Kai apologized, “I just noticed that a lot of people have different nicknames for you, hyung. It’s cool.” Taemin shrugged. “Do they? I never noticed.” Kai nodded. “Minho calls you Minnie; I think Minho also once mentioned that him and Heechul call you Tae. Ruki hyung calls you Tae-chan. I need a nickname for you too.” Kai decided. “But Kai, they’re all older than me. Isn’t it a bit disrespectful?” He brought up in a serious tone. “Oh well... I mean…” The boy giggled, “Jongin, I’m kidding. If you can come up with that, than go ahead.”

Ruki and Kai got to know each other reasonably fast as they waiting for the last two to arrive. Within an hour or so, Heechul and Minho came knocking at the door. Taemin met them both, receiving a hug from Heechul before hugging Minho. His boyfriend held a pretty, pink flower in his hand, placing the stem of it behind Taemin’s ear. “I stumbled upon this and thought it would look nice on you.” He said, adjusting it. Heechul snorted in the background, rolling his eyes. “What he means by ‘he stumbled upon’ is that he wasted ten minutes on the way here looking through old people’s gardens trying to pick one out.” Heechul explained, leaving Minho to mumble a lie in response. Leaving Minho to bring his luggage in, Taemin took Heechul by the arm, leading him to the others. “Kai, Ruki, this is Heechul. Heechul, this is Kai and that’s Ruki.” They all bowed their heads. “Nice to meet you.” He offered. “Oh, do you two want some sandwiches? I just made some.” They both nodded, sitting down with the rest of the group. “Do any of you want a drink or refills?” Taemin asked, hoping he’d get everyone full before they’d leave. “Ah, Darling~” Ruki called, holding out his glass. “Yes?” Taemin asked, turning around to take it. “Can you please give me some more?” Minho offered his own drink. “Here, take mine. After we finish, we should leave.” They all agreed.

Their luggage was checked and they were on the train, finally heading towards their destination. The seats were in groups of four, pairs facing each other. Taemin sat with Kai and Ruki whereas Minho sat with Heechul on the other side of the aisle. Each with their own blanket, they got comfortable for the long ride.

Minho had a textbook and notebook out while Heechul buried himself in a novel. They seemed far more mature than the three next to them who spent a good bit of the first hour playing rock, paper, scissors and giggling. After a while, the loud trio decided to take a nap. Ruki had two seats to himself and Kai and Taemin had each other, tucking the armrest between them away as they snuggled up.

The next time Taemin opened his eyes, his vision was blocked by Kai’s neck. He moved around, gaze shifting to the window. The evening sky was mixing in with the afternoon clouds and darkness began to set in. Kai was still fast asleep. He lifted himself slightly, noticing the Ruki no longer took up the space across from them, and instead had migrated to join Heechul and Minho in what seemed like a game of cards. He was a bit surprised when his head was pulled back down, but he didn’t mind feeling the warmth of the embrace. “Don’t go yet, hyung.” Kai mumbled, fixing the blanket so that it trapped Taemin within it. The blonde smiled in agreement, turning around so that his back curved against Kai’s chest. Two arms laced their way around his waist as they spent a good while relaxing.

At one point, Taemin’s eyes caught Minho’s in the reflection. They locked stares and Taemin didn’t expect to be acknowledged. “Taemin, come play with us. Kai can sleep if he wants.” The other two turned their heads towards him now as well, calling him over. “Tae-chan, come sit next to me~ Look at all this empty space.” Obeying his elders, Taemin got up, walking over droopily and planting himself next to Ruki. “What are you guys playing?” He asked, receiving a look at Ruki’s cards. “Poker. We don’t have any chips so we’re kind of just writing down what we’re putting in and stuff.” They explained, gesturing to the papers all over the tables. “Do you want some cards?” Taemin shook his head. “Alright~ then we can work together. Come here Darling, come closer.” Ruki said, pulling Taemin into his lap. “Hey, maybe you should stop calling him darling, huh?” Minho commented, sending Ruki a daunting glare. “I can call him whatever I want. And I’ll do it even more if it pisses you off so much. Look this way Tae-chan, kiss me~” Taemin giggled as he avoided the older boy’s kisses although Ruki wasn’t really aiming that well. If he really wanted to kiss him, he would. Heechul whistled as he placed down some cards on the table. “Wow Minho, I’ve got to admit, you’ve got a lot of competition. I don’t know how you do it.” Minho went on to place down his cards as well. “I know, what is this? It’s so hard for me. I deal with this on a daily basis. You know how many guys I have to beat up a day?” The group laughed, but Taemin’s face was red. “I wouldn’t doubt it.” Heechul began. “And don’t you doubt for a second that if it didn’t work out between you two, I wouldn’t spare a second taking my swing at Taemin.” He bluntly confessed. “I would too~” Ruki agreed. “I pretty sure the guys would feel the same. You heard what Chansung was say after the New Year’s party.”

Despite being the topic of attention, Taemin didn’t participate in the conversations, watching the three older boys play. Minho laid down a royal flush, his hand easily beating everyone else’s, cashing in the largest amount yet. “Damn Minho, how did you get so lucky?” The boy smirked. “I don’t know.” They were looking at the cards, but everyone knew that’s not what they were talking about.

They get off the train with their luggage in hand. It was already dark outside when they made their way towards the cottage, following small roads lined with houses. “You can hear the waves!” Taemin chirped, tugging on Minho’s hand. “Wow, it sounds so nice!”

He seemed excited, bee lining between the each of the boys, ending up with Heechul when they approached. “Hee-nim, we’re here, right?” Heechul laughed, ruffling the boy’s hair. “I don’t know, I didn’t rent it, you guys did.”

Waiting in front of the door, they watched as Minho fished out the key and unlocked it. The place was modest, a small living room connected to a kitchen and dining room. There was a staircase against one of the walls which led upstairs to two bedrooms, one with a double bed and one with two single beds.

“We can move the two beds together to make a larger one.” Someone hinted. “So we still need to share them. Two large beds and five people.” Heechul stated obviously. “I don’t mind sharing a bed with Ruki.” He added. “I can sleep with you guys then I guess.” Kai then said. Heechul looked towards the last two. “I guess that means you and Taemin are sharing the other room.” Minho nodded. “Okay, then let’s go put our stuff away, Minnie.”

They skipped upstairs, undressing from any layers proving too inconvenient, and putting their suitcases in the closet. “Let’s go make something cold to drink. We can make popcorn too!” Taemin thought aloud enthusiastically, going back towards the stairs. “Hey.” Minho began, grabbing the boy’s wrist as he passed through the doorway, pulling him back through. “Oh, what is it?” Minho quietly shut the door, adding some privacy. “Tae, everyone’s had their hands all over you all day except for me. I didn’t even get a good morning kiss.” He mumbled, pouting. Taemin blushed, stepping closer as he planted his hands on Minho’s shoulders, leaning into a slow kiss. Minho smiled. “And an afternoon kiss?” He added, prolonging the kiss. “And… an evening one?” Taemin giggled, trying to pull away but really, he didn’t want to. “Hyung, if we take too long, they’ll get suspicious.” Minho shrugged, tilting Taemin’s head to the side as he delivered soft kisses to his milky skin. “Let them be suspicious. They probably wouldn’t be too far off anyways.” He laughed, taking a risk as he left a red mark behind Taemin’s ear, just underneath where the blonde locks rested, using the hair as a blanket to cover it.

“Minho…” Taemin gasped quietly underneath his breath, feeling a bit empty when Minho pulled away. “I’ve had enough for now. Let’s go downstairs.” He offered his charming smile. “For now?” Taemin questioned, finally walking through the door which was originally his plan. “Of course. I’m just taking enough to ease my urges for now, but later, I’m going all out. I’m not holding back.” Taemin laughed, pushing Minho out of the way. “Then I’m sleeping with the others tonight.” Minho followed quickly. “If you can resist my body.” He joked. The other two were already on the couch, flipping through channels on the old television. “Tae, make s’moreos with me!” Heechul shouted from the kitchen. Leaving Minho’s company, he went over to the man. “What are s’moreos?” He asked, noticing a pack of Oreos along with other things laid out on the counter. “They’re basically s’mores but you make it in the middle of an Oreo. Can you split all the Oreos?” Taemin nodded, doing so. “Do you want to go to the beach tomorrow, Tae? I was told that they have a few boards and stuff in the shed. We could go together.” Taemin thought it was a good idea. “But I don’t know how to do any of that stuff.” Heechul began placing squares of chocolate on one of each of the Oreo crackers and Taemin topped that off with a marshmallow. “I can teach you. How will you ever know how if no one teaches you?” They rearranged the treats on a large plate, placing in the microwave for a few seconds. When it beeped, they took them out. They looked even better now than they did before. “Wow, you’re really creative, Hee-nim.” Heechul laughed, shaking his head. “When you’re a broke college student, you find easy ways to get stuff done. Wait one more thing.” He said, dragging a small, filled glass across the countertop. “What’s that?” Heechul smirked, glazing over each s’moreo generously. “Vodka. Everything tastes better with Vodka.”

They served the snacks, eating more than they should have at an hour that was nearing midnight. The vodka didn’t help their state of mind, their brain and reasoning being attacked from every angle. When they finished, they decided that going to play hide and seek was something that seemed extremely appealing. Minho was picked to be the seeker, leaving the others to run in different directions.

Taemin had sprinted up the stairs, finding a spot in one of the closets, using all the suitcases nearby to build a shield around himself. His heartbeat sped up when he heard a thumping noise grow louder as it neared. He screamed as the door was thrown open and someone flew into him. It was Kai, who also screamed, stumbling over the obstacles and falling onto Taemin. The two giggled, closing the door once more. They silenced themselves quickly though, clinging onto each other as they heard Minho counting down the final moments.

“We have to be really quiet.” Taemin whispered. “Did you see where Ruki and Heechul ran?” Kai asked quietly. Taemin shook his head. After a few minutes, Taemin looked at Kai judgingly. “You know this is a really bad spot to hide, right?” Kai rolled his eyes. “You chose it too.” The blonde pouted. “Well we’re definitely going to get caught if we stay here.” Kai raised an eyebrow. “What are you thinking, Taemin?” Looking towards the door knob for a few seconds, Taemin smiled. “What if we go to the beach?” Kai shook his head but he liked the idea. “Taemin, can we even do that? Isn’t that against the rules? How would we get there without being seen?” The older boy cupped Kai’s cheeks with purpose as he thought over his plan. “There’s a balcony in your room, we can jump off! It’s only the second floor. Besides if we don’t get seen doing this, they don’t even deserve to catch us. Let’s do it! It’ll be so cool. C’mon Jongin, please…” He didn’t need to beg, Kai really wanted to do it. It got his heart racing. He took Taemin’s hand in his tightly, his other one on the knob. “Let’s do it!”

This brought them back to when they were little, always breaking the rules, doing things that would probably get them caught. They listening quietly, checking for the sound of footsteps. There was a moment when the floor outside the room creaked, then the stairs, and then it was gone. The tiptoed out, staring through the door, across the hallway to the room with the balcony. Unfortunately, the door was closed and they’d be heard if they tried opening it. “I think I should try opening it first, that way if I get caught, you won’t.” Taemin whispered, getting Kai’s approval. He crawled the meter, hand forming around the knob ever so gently, as if an alarm would sound with the slightest touch. He grasped it and turned. There was a long squeak and they both held their breaths. They stared downstairs to see if anyone was coming. When there was no reaction, Kai joined him, quickly entering the room. Just as cautiously, they closed the door, spotting the glass sliding door that led out to the balcony. “Come on, hurry.” Taemin rushed Kai. They slid it open, escaping onto the balcony before sighing in relief.

“Now we have to jump.” Looking over the edge, they both smiled. “What happens when they give up and they can’t find us? How will we know?” Taemin shook his head. “We won’t. But that’s their loss.” The tanned boy was unbelievably amused. “Taemin, I love you.” Taemin nodded, laughing. “I know, so hurry up.”

They crawled over the railing, gently lowering themselves down as their feet kicked, trying to find anything to stand on. When they were completely down and there were nothing for them to get onto, they dropped. Surprised by their success, Taemin quickly grabbed Kai’s hand, running towards the waves. They didn’t look back, afraid that someone could somehow be behind them.

As they approached, Taemin kicked off his slippers. He was pulled back slightly when Kai stopped running, feeling the tug on his arm. “Wait, what are you doing?” Taemin shrugged. “Getting into the water. We’re here, might as well hop in a little.” When Kai looked skeptical, Taemin whined. “Come on, don’t be boring. Just for a few minutes, it won’t be too bad...” When Kai seemed undecided, Taemin made the decision for him. He took the younger boy’s shirt, undressing him of it. Kai’s smiled faded slightly, watching Taemin throw his shirt the ground. Kai took Taemin’s shirt into his own hand, ing it while holding the boy’s gaze.

With both of them shirtless, Taemin leaned down and rolled up his pants. While on his knees, he rolled Kai’s pants up as well. Smiling happily, he ran into the water. Unable to go against that sweet smile, Kai followed him. “Oh my god!” Taemin screamed, “The waters so cold!” When a wave hit his stomach, he jumped onto the younger boy, holding onto him tightly. “Oh god, oh god, oh god, oh god, Kai it’s so cold, go deeper!” Kai felt the strongest urge he’d felt in a while and gave into temptation, sacrificing both himself and Taemin as he purposely fell into the water. When Taemin’s head emerged from the water, he was shocked. “Kai you… you brat! Why would you do that?!” Regardless of his anger, he held on tightly.

                Their hair was wet and Kai laughed. He sat on the sand, pulling Taemin into his lap. The waves immersed them to their shoulders, occasionally catching their chins. “You wanted to get in right? So why not just go for it?” Taemin smacked the water, causing it to splash up into Kai’s face. “I said ‘hop in a little’ not ‘why don’t you drop me into the water’!” Taemin yelled, smacking Kai repeatedly while his body failed to adjust to the temperature. Ignoring the upset boy in his lap, Kai pulled some of Taemin’s golden locks behind his ear. That’s when something caught his eye. “Hyung, what’s this?” He asked. “What’s what?” Kai moved the hair some more, looking at a red spot. “This. It looks like… how did you get it?” Taemin shrugged. He wasn’t entirely sure what Kai was talking about but he had an idea.

                “I don’t know. Are you sure it’s not a pimple or something?” Kai shook his head. “No, it’s not.” He sighed, dragging his wet lips against Taemin’s wet neck. “Kai, what are you doing?” Kai shrugged. Fed up with being felt up, Taemin pushed Kai down underneath the water. This started a whole new war between them, water going this way and that. He finally stood up, running back up the beach while splashing Kai on the way. “We should go back now!” He teased, leaving the younger boy in the dust.

                They had trouble explaining what they were doing, coming home half an hour later completely drenched with half their clothes off, legs caked in drying sand. Receiving a few minutes of being called cheaters and getting told off, they also got credit for being able to sneak out without anyone noticing. Minho dragged Taemin away, scolding him for doing something he considered dangerous and taking him to wash up. “Do you always think jumping off balconies is a good idea?” Minho started. “I’m sorry, it was just the adrenaline. Besides, it wasn’t high or anything.” He tried defending himself. “Yeah, yeah. That’s what you say until you break your leg. Now take a quick shower, I’ll be back in five minutes with your pajamas. Use Heechul’s shampoo or something, they already unpacked their things.” Taemin nodded as Minho disappeared into another room.

                He washed his hair, picking up whatever hair product he could find and went on to rinse his body of the sea water. As he had said, Minho came in a few minutes later with no prior warning. Minho brought a towel, wrapping it around Taemin and wiping him free of the water. “You really smelled like the beach.” He laughed; helping Taemin into his pajama is if he was a toddler, reliant on his mother. And finally, he dried Taemin’s hair. “I don’t want you to get the bed wet; otherwise I’m going to be pretty upset.” Taemin giggled. “Alright.”

                Taemin got comfortable, tucked in as he watched Minho turn off the lights and crawl in with him. They had the bed to themselves and it felt really nice. Their legs brushed against each other and despite the late hour, Minho didn’t seem like he wanted to sleep just yet. He was on his side, head propped up on his hand as he glanced over Taemin, silhouette lit up by the moonlight. They were in silence for a few minutes before Minho lean down, initiating a slow but passionate kiss. Taemin lifted himself slightly, giving himself a better angle which eventually led to massaging Minho’s arm, receiving a groping hand on his inner thigh in return. Minho pinned the blonde down, grinding against the younger boy’s hips in a teasing manner. “You know Taemin, tomorrow is your birthday.” Taemin nodded, his lips as his legs moved around, locking around the elder’s waist. “Remember what I asked you to think about?” Taemin nodded again, gasping as Minho put pressure against his bulge. “Taemin, have you thought about it? Because I’ve been looking forward to it this whole time and I really want to. Do you?” Taemin thought it over, holding onto Minho tighter. “Yeah, I want to do it. If it’s with you, I want to do it.” It was dark so he couldn’t see Minho’s smile, similar to that of a child who just got candy. “I’m glad.”

                That’s when they both looked back, hearing a noise coming from their door. They released each other, staring at it. Creaking, it opened. Kai came in.

                By the way he walked; it looked like he wasn’t fully conscious. He was in his pajamas and he had a blanket thrown over his shoulder. “Kai? What’s the matter?” Hearing Taemin’s voice, he walked towards his side of the bed. “Hyung, I know we decided I’d sleep in the other room, but I can’t… Can I sleep with you?” Taemin looked towards Minho for an answer but Kai seemed to get in anyways.

                Taemin was a little disappointed. He was happy to have some alone time with Minho where their bodies could be close as well, but Kai seemed to have trouble sleeping alone without someone he knew.

                Now sandwiched between the two boys, Taemin realised he now had no choice but to sleep. Minho probably was looking forward to the physical contact as well, seeing that he kept Taemin as close as possible, dragging out each movement.

                With one pair of arms as a pillow and another pair around his waist, Taemin figured there would be no more moonlit kisses tonight.