Chapter 99

False Awakening

                Taemin stood between two streetlights, hoping it would be the darkest there.

                He could see Heechul driving up, parking right in front of him, but only for long enough for the blonde to jump in and close the door.

                “Um, please hurry.” He cleared his throat, over his lips. He didn’t know how to feel. Maybe he saw what he did. Maybe Minho was cheating on him. But maybe it was some kind of really weird, inconvenient misunderstanding. Maybe there was some way to explain that. All he knew was that Minho was on the couch, some barely dressed girl was on top of him, and they were kissing. There are plenty of explanations for that, right?

                “What happened?”

                “I don’t want to talk about it because I don’t know.” He honestly replied, “I don’t have anything with me so would I be able to borrow some stuff?”

                “You know it’s fine. Is everything alright?”

                “Yeah. Please don’t ask about it, hyung.”

                “Okay.”

               

 

                They drove for fifteen minutes before arriving at the elder’s flat.

                Parking the car and riding the elevator up, they eventually ended up at the door with Heechul shoving his key in the lock. Once it swung open, he walked in, taking his shoes off.

                “Do you want to watch a movie? I can get snacks, some beer maybe?”

                “I’ll just have some water actually, but feel free.”

                Halfway to the kitchen, the elder stopped in his tracks, shaking his head. “You know what, forget it. It’s two in the morning and you need to get some rest. Go into my room, I’ll be there in a second.”

                “Okay.”

                Tired, rubbing his eyes, Taemin walked down the hall, towards Heechul’s room.

               

 

 

 

                Minho was panicking. He was freaking out because Taemin wasn’t answering his phone and there was an undressed girl who just forced herself onto him still wandering his house. Slamming his phone down, he ran his fingers through his hair.

                “You need to get out.” He demanded in a stern tone the moment she got caught in his peripherals. “You have about thirty seconds do get out!”

                “Why?! He can’t give you anything! He can’t give you a family, or a curvy body to hold, or a proper relationship! None of it! Just- just take your pants off and get on the couch! You’ve never even had with a girl so how would you know what it’s like?! You don’t know anything!” She screamed, grabbing him by his shirt only to jerk him back in the living room’s direction.

                “He’s already given me more than I’ve ever asked for and I don’t need you to validate our relationship! Get out or I’m calling the cops!” He yelled, grabbing her by the arm, shoving her in the direction of the bathroom. “Change, a leave!”

                “I’ll get your parents fired!” Yujin threatened, furious.

                “Go ahead!”

                Red faced and in tears, she slammed the door.

                Alone for what would be a heavenly few minutes, he picked up his phone, dialing his husband’s number once more, but just like before, there was no answer.

 

 

 

 

 

                They stood across from each other, the apartment completely silent aside from the city’s noises which flooded in through the windows.

                Heechul placed his hands on the younger boy’s waist, lifting his shirt to reveal a pale chest. He paused, sighing before carrying on, stripping the blonde down to his thin, black briefs. Without a second spared, he grabbed the slightly oversized clothing on the bed and dressed the boy in one of his pajamas.

                “Get under the covers.” He instructed. His clothes and the lights were the only things standing between them and sleep. Watching the younger boy’s thin fingers wrap around his zipper, ping his hoodie, he barely managed to flick the blonde’s forehead, smiling as the boy dramatically fell back onto the bed. He was being his usual, cute self, but that probably almost certainly was definitely how he wasn’t feeling.

                “I usually sleep in my briefs, so-”

                “That’s okay, don’t inconvenience yourself because I barged in here unannounced. I’ll sleep on the edge so you don’t have to worry.”

                “Are you sure?”

                “Yeah.”

                “Alright.”

                Kicking off his pants and shimmying off his shirt, he hopped in as well, burying both of them under thick blankets. They both stuck to their halves as the lights went off, three in the morning nearing. They should sleep, but they couldn’t keep their eyes peeled off of the walls and ceiling.

                Heechul sighed. What was he doing?  He should have called Minho and talked to him about it, maybe do something to put both of their minds at ease. Reaching for his phone, he flinched, caught off guard by the boy who suddenly shot up.

                “Do you think Minho loves me?”

                “Yeah, of course.”

                “I think so too…” He nodded, hugging his knees. “I trust him.”

                “No matter what you saw?”

                “No matter what I saw.”

                “You’re a good husband.” Heechul smiled, sitting up and wrapping his arms around the younger boy’s thin frame.

                “I don’t know if I’d be considered that, but I hope so.”

                Nodding, Heechul laid back down, pulling Taemin down with him, offering his chest and arm as a pillow. Taemin felt a little shy at first, but the feeling quickly went away.

                “I’m going to call Minho and let him know you’re here, okay?”

                “What? Wait, hyung, please don’t do that!”

                “Relax, you don’t have to say anything, I’m just going to let him know because he’s probably freaking out, you know?”

                Giving in, Taemin buried his face against the elder’s side, pouting. He couldn’t see, but he heard the sounds of buttons being pressed and a dial tone played on speaker. It didn’t take much time for a panicked voice to answer.

                “Heechul?! Have you seen Taemin?!”

                “You usually answer phone calls with a ‘hi’, you know.”

                “Heechul, please! This isn’t a time for jokes, I don’t know where he is and I’m freaking out! I think he saw something he shouldn’t have and he left before I could explain and-”

                “Chill,” he interrupted, “He’s at my place. He’s sleeping so don’t worry.”

                “Oh thank god…” There was a few seconds of silence before he continued, “You don’t know how relieved I am hearing that…”

                As Taemin listened, he felt his face heating up. He was right, Minho would never hurt him. It had to be a simple misunderstanding and it was.

                “Listen, he’ll be home tomorrow morning, okay? I’ll drive him so just get to sleep now that you know.”

                “Alright… thanks so much. I’m glad I can count on you. Good night.”

                “Good night.”

 

               

                Hanging up, he placed his phone on the side table before rolling over, snuggling up against Taemin as Taemin snuggled up against him.

                “See? Nothing to worry about, Taemin. If anything, he’s the one worrying about you.”

                “Thank you, Heechul. You’re really a great person.”

                “Do I get an award?” He teased, pinching the blonde’s sides and earning giggles.

                “No!” He laughed, rolling towards the edge, escaping the elder’s grasp.

                “Fine, fine. Come here. It’s time to sleep.”

                “Promise you won’t tickle me?”

                “I promise.”

 

 

 

 

 

                Taemin yawned. With bright lights hitting the front of his eyelids, he scrunched up his face, turning away from the source of brightness. When he finally peeked, he felt it was weird to meet the face of someone who wasn’t Minho.

                Heechul had bags under his swollen eyes, a little dried drool making a line from the corner of his lips to his jawline. He looked a lot younger than usual. Fingers reaching forward, his thumb rubbed the trail off, a smile creeping onto his lips once Heechul’s tired eyes opened, glances overlapping.

                “Good morning.” The elder stretched, teeth latching onto the blonde’s finger. He kissed his palm, wrist, arm.

                Taemin squirmed, biting his lip. “It tickles…”

                “It’s been a while since I shared a bed with someone.” Heechul sighed, his free hand playing with the gold locks.

                “Decided to settle down?” Taemin laughed, unable to imagine a monogamous and happy Heechul.

                “Me? You know better than that! I just… school has been really stressful lately. No time to party, no time to bring someone home, no time to fool around. The last time I brought someone home was some random girl from the bar… four weeks ago? Ugh, I don’t even want to say it out loud.”

                “Knowing how many people have been in this bed makes me feel gross. I’m getting out.” He began, rolling out only as far as he could before two hands grabbed him and pulled him back.

                “But Tae!” Heechul whined, “I’ve been clean for weeks! This bed is clean!”

                “The sheets may be washed but what happened in this room and your body, that’s all dirty.” He joked, keeping his serious tone.

                “We can make a deal then. If you keep me occupied ‘that’ way…” Heechul began as Taemin shivered, feeling a breath on the back of his neck and fingertips under his shirt, “Then I won’t play around and I’ll stay clean.”

                Biting his lip, the blonde stood up, shaking his head. “I-I wasn’t serious! You can do whatever you want, it’s none of my business!”

                “Then make it your business.” Heechul lowered his voice, grabbing onto Taemin’s pants and keeping him in place. Tugging on them softly, watching the boy’s panicked expression, he snorted. “I’m kidding, I’m kidding. Although I’m anything but against having a shot at you, I like to think I’m not a home wrecker. Unless you want me to be.”

                “Heechul!” he groaned, smacking the boy in the arm.

                “I’m just joking! Don’t hurt me! I know where my hands do and don’t belong! What do you want for breakfast?”

                “Whatever you have.”

                “Pancakes it is. Go get dressed okay? I’ll make them and after we’re all done, I’ll drive you home to your longing husband.”

                “Okay!” Taemin nodded, trying to locate his clothes. Feeling his hair ruffled, he watched Heechul walk out of the room.

                All of his clothes were dirty, or at least not clean, and although Heechul folded them as neatly as possible, they developed wrinkles.

                Still, he had nothing else to wear and he wasn’t going to borrow Heechul’s clothes again, so for now, these would have to do. Grabbing his shirt off of the floor, he slipped into it. Then followed his underwear, his pants, his socks, his sweater. Within a few moments he was fully clothed and stepping out of the room. “Hyung, I’m ready to eat!” He announced, walking up behind the elder and hugging him, spying over his shoulder at the food that smelt delicious.

                “Good job, cutie. Do you like maple syrup?”

                “Yes! Please put a lot!”

                “More maple syrup than pancake?”

                “Stop it, now you’re just being dumb.” He laughed, slipping under Heechul’s arm, finding his shoulders in the elder’s hold.  His glance was stolen by fingers that guided his onto the pan handle and spatula, lips whispering a, “You take care of this while I get dressed.”

                So Taemin did.

                He finished the pancakes while Heechul got changed and washed up, returning to set the table for them. “It’s been a while since I had breakfast at home like this with someone.”

                “Then it’s refreshing, right?”

                The light pouring through all the windows left Taemin glowing. He looked like an angel. Taemin was cute. “As much as I love spending time with you Tae, Minho’s probably impatiently waiting at home. He’s probably puling his hair out, you know? I can see him now, walking circles in the living room, tugging at his hair, drinking coffee after coffee.”

                “If that’s the case, then you’re right, we should definitely hurry up. Ah, but I’ll come over for a proper sleepover though, okay? We can have dinner, breakfast, anything!”

                “How considerate.” Heechul laughed, “I’ll take you up on that offer sometime next week then. But are you sure Minho won’t cry from all that loneliness?”

                “He’s a big boy, he’ll be fine.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                Parking next to the building, Taemin hopped out, but only after giving the elder a tight hug.

                “Thank you, hyung!”

                “Don’t thank me! Get going, I just texted him that you’re coming up.”

                “Okay!” Taemin smiled, waving. As the car drove away, he walked through the lobby and straight into the elevator, rising a couple of floors. Getting out to the metallic box, he walked towards a familiar door, keys jingling as he searched for the right one. Seems he didn’t need to, because before he could even take a good look at them, the door slammed open and two arms engulfed him, causing him to stumble back.

                “Taemin, I’m so sorry! I’m so, so, so sorry!”

                “Minho, I’m not mad.”

                “Taemin, forgive me, okay? Please forgive me! I swear I can explain! I’ll fix everything!”

                “Minho, seriously, I’m not mad at you.”

                “Taemin… I love you….”

                “I love you too, Minho. Look at me, okay?”

                Minho’s head was firmly tucked against Taemin’s neck, but with a deep breath, he slowly pulled away, hesitantly meeting the blonde’s eyes. “I’m sorry…”

                “Don’t apologize! I- look, the reason I left wasn’t because I was upset or anything, it was more like… I was shocked and confused, but I believed in you, you know?” Trying to think of a way to prove himself through actions rather than words, he grabbed the boy’s shirt, stealing a kiss. “I’m… I’m not mad. I’m not even going to ask for an explanation, okay?”

                “Well you’re going to get one, I promise!”

                Bowing apologetically, Minho pulled the blonde inside, closing the door behind them. He dragged Taemin to the couch where he sat himself and the boy down, his expression serious. “Listen to me, okay?”

                Nodding, the younger boy smiled, “I’m listening.”

                “That girl you saw yesterday, her name is Yujin. I met her on the day I went up to see my parents. My parents stole my ring for that day and introduced me to her and her parents. They wanted us to get married. They introduced me as single and straight and managed to turn everything I said against that into a joke. They told me that if I didn’t marry them, they might lose their jobs.”

                “Minho, that’s horrible-”

                “They made me meet her for dinner, and then another one. Each time I tried rejecting her, she would reject the rejection. Finally, while we were at dinner yesterday, she faked being drunk and wouldn’t tell me where her house was so I brought he back here. That’s understandable, right? She asked to wash up and I said okay, but while I was on the couch watching a movie, she came out of the bathroom in a robe, stripped to her underwear and got on top of me! Before I could do anything, you came in! You believe me, don’t you? I know it’s probably the stupidest excuse, but-”

                “I believe you. Every word.”

                “Taemin, I love you so much!” Minho proclaimed, head falling into the younger boy’s lap. The fingers that laced into his hair seemed to make everything better. “Taemin…”

                “Yes?”

                “I’d like you to meet her.”

                Taemin was surprised by the request, head shaking although he hadn’t made a decision yet. “I don’t know if that’s such a good idea.”

                “I want you to meet her. She’s evil, but maybe if she meets you, she’ll understand why I love you so much and leave me alone. I don’t care if she leaves m parents alone, but is she leaves me, that’s more than enough.”

                “How would I meet her…?”

                “I’ll set up lunch at a nearby café. If she agrees to it, will you?”

                There was a paused. “Minho… is this what you want?”

                “Yes…”

                “Then I’ll do it.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                It was warm for a day in the middle of the winter. When he walked in, she was sitting alone at one of the tables, far more casual than her usual ‘date’ looks, a coffee before her. She didn’t seem like the type to drink black.

                He walked up first, sitting down across from her. “Hey.”

                “Hello.” She replied in a monotone voice.

                Taemin came soon after, sitting down next to Minho.

                “Who is this?” She asked.

                “This is my husband.” Minho smiled.

                “Nice to meet you, Noona. My name is Lee Taemin. I’m nineteen years old. I’m also Minho’s husband.” He deeply bowed, nearly smacking his forehead into the table.

                “So this is him, huh?” She scowled, redirecting he gaze towards the window.

                “Yes, this is my husband.”

                “I can see why he’s a model.”

                “Thank you-”

                “It wasn’t a compliment, just a statement.” She interrupted the blonde.

                “Oh.”

              “Anyways,” Minho began, “I just wanted you to meet him in hopes of trying to understand why I love him so much.”

                “Two men dating is disgusting. Who could understand something as vile as that?”

                Minho sighed, finding the blonde’s hand beneath the table, squeezing it. “I understand. I just want to make it clear that this will be our last meeting-”

                “Show me the rings.”

                “Excuse me?”

                “If you’re married, you should have wedding rings. One on each of your hands. If you’re really married, show them.”

                Nodding, they both raised their hands in synchronicity, two large diamonds sparkling in the afternoon sun.

                “Fine. Whatever. I’m sick of being played by you Choi Minho. Good luck with your lives, never contact me again.”

                Slapping a twenty dollar note onto the table, she got up and strutted after the café. Sure it was a bit of a scene, but nothing that was unexpected.

                “Taemin.”

                “Yes?”

                “Go buy yourself something.” He smiled, handing his lover a bill. “But me a latte, okay? Listen… I know the past few weeks have been stressful, but I promise to make all of this up to you, alright? Every single day we could have spent together, I’ll get it back for you. With interest.”

                “Honey, you don’t have to-”

                “I do. I want to be the best husband possible and lately I’ve just been pretty bad. This is over now though so… Let’s throw a house party or something. Just to relax, to have fun. I’ll take care of everything so let’s just have fun, alright.”

                Smiling, the boy nodded. “Alright. It’s nice to have you back. So, a latte you said?”

                “Yes Kitten. I love you.”

                “I love you too.”

                Relieved that everything was over, they both released deep breaths, anticipating the relaxing future weeks to come.