Chapter 102

False Awakening

                With a quiet home life, even big event like holidays seemed to speed by. Before Taemin could even blink, spring was in full bloom. He had just finished his exams a few weeks prior and Jongin was finishing up his. Deciding to help the younger boy calm him mind, getting a breath that wasn’t concentrated with equations and grammar, he took him to the park for a picnic.

                Walking along the promenade, arms linked, they searched for a place to sit down. Because the weather had recently been sunshine and blue skies from dawn to dusk, there wasn’t much room on the grass.

                “Maybe we should just go home.” Jongin sighed, disappointed by the lack of space.

                “No, I promised you a picnic, so you’re getting a picnic!” Taemin pouted, tugging on the boy’s arm with determination.

                “Tae, studying won’t kill me.”

                “But Jongin!” He whined, trapping the boy in his pace, eyes bouncing from one plot of grass to another until he finally noticed a spot that could accommodate their blankets and meal. “Look, see, right there! We can fit! Come on.”

                Dragging him over to the space, Jongin watched from behind as the elder bent over, unfolding the blanket and flattening out each fold and crease. Deciding it was as perfect as it could get, he dropped himself onto it, ruining all his hard work. “Okay, let’s eat!”

                His smile was so bright, so childish, so contagious that Jongin found himself smiling as well. “I want to start off with strawberries.” Jongin decided, folding his legs. They unpacked their backpack, setting each dish out neatly, grabbing themselves a fork and a knife.

                “How do you exams are going?”

                “Alright. I don’t know if I’m doing all of them perfectly, but I’m trying my best so that I don’t get rejected last minute. I wish that when they gave you your acceptance letter, that was that, you know? Not that ‘oh, well you made it, but if you mess up on a test or something in the next few months before graduating, we’re going to have to reject you’. And then the required average is so high…”

                “You know, you didn’t have to apply to the same university as me. You don’t even know what you want to do as a job.”

                “Yeah, but as long as I’m with you, I don’t mind.” He sighed, pulling Taemin into his lap. The blonde appreciated the chest he rested his back against, popping the lid open to a container of salad.

                “What happens when we graduate?”

                “Then I’ll go work where you work.”

                “And if they’re not hiring?”

                “I’ll become the boss and hire myself.”

                Taemin laughed, shaking his head as he fed the younger boy a forkful over his shoulder. “Believe it or not, I don’t think that’s how it works, Jongin.”

                “You’re laughing now, but just wait until I’m the one hiring you.”

                Relaxing in the sun, warming themselves, they watched the river, eyes glued to each boat that floated on by. It was a huge change from the cold winter afternoons that consisted of sharp winds, violent snowfalls, and early nights.

                “Sometimes I just wanna freeze time and be lazy forever.” The younger boy mumbled, laying back down, enjoying the soft grass and blanket beneath his back.

                Taemin rolled off, copying Jongin and laying down beside him, using the younger boy’s arm as a pillow. Taking out the strawberries he wanted, the blonde began plucking off the leaves, holding each one to Jongin’s lips, watching as the boy took painfully slow nibbles.

                “My arm is going numb!” He whined, scolding Jongin with a smack.

                “But I want to enjoy it, you know? Not just eat it!”

                “You’re such a brat.”

                “Ah, maybe.”

                There was a few minutes of silence as the two stared up at the passing clouds, figuring out which shapes reminded them of what. Just then, a random thought came to his mind, one he couldn’t stop his mind from spilling out.

                “Jongin, if I had kids, would you raise them with me?”

                “What? A kid’s going to be confused enough growing up with two dads, let alone three.”

                Taemin laughed at the thought, nodding in agreement. “Yeah, probably. But like, not as the dad… you could be… Uncle Jongin or something.

                “And if I want to be the dad? With you?” Jongin asked, his cold hand softly brushing up against Taemin’s.

                “Hm… good question. I don’t know.”

                Another few seconds of silence came before the younger boy broke it with a deflated chuckle, rolling over and burying his face in the elder’s sleeve, protecting his eyes from the sun. “Don’t take my requests seriously. There’s no way of it happening, so don’t even try to make up something because it won’t work.”

                Taemin nodded, although he wasn’t sure to what.

                “You know what?” The younger boy mumbled into the cotton.

                “What?”

                “Being in love with your best friend , especially when they feel guilty and always make compromises for you.”

                “Would you rather be hated?”

                “Yeah. I’d rather think I have no chance than constantly think I might someday if I wait patiently enough even though I still have no chance that way either. And you’re married too. You were married before you even started in university. I always thought that maybe I could be some kind of one night stand, or drunk party mistake, or something stupid kids do in college, you know? At least then I’d have something. But no, Minho came along and put a ring on it the second he could. So much for holding off until university.”

                “University?” The blonde snorted, “I’d argue we did a lot of less than innocent things two years ago while we dated.”

                “Yeah, but we didn’t have and you only dated me because you were down in the dumps from arguing with Minho and I was desperate enough to take advantage of that, so it definitely doesn’t count. It doesn’t even come close.” Jongin argued, reliving the failure that was supposed to be him sweeping Taemin off of his feet and riding into a sunset where Minho wasn’t one of the colours. “Ugh, that pisses me off.”

                Taemin laughed, patting the boy’s head. “You know what? I decided that Minho and I can raise a child together, but you and me… let’s raise a dog together. They’re a lot more loyal and permanent toddlers, you know?”

                “Raise a dog with you… what kind of dog?”

                “A pug.” Taemin decided in the spur of the moment.

                “You want to raise a pug with me? You know, they say the owner and the dog always look alike. I can guarantee that you don’t look like a pug, so are you calling me fat and wrinkly?”

                The blonde snorted, nodding. “Yeah, definitely. I have the fattest and wrinkliest best friend in the world.”

                “Don’t be a bully, Taemin!”

                “I’ll be a little bit of a bully.”

               

 

 

 

 

                The pair finished off lunch by dipping their feet in the cold waters, fighting the warm weather. The elder’s phone vibrated on the pavement beside them, causing him to scrunch up his face and stare at the phone, desperately trying to make out what it says against the glare of the sun.

                “Oh, Minho said he’s going to come pick us up in five and that we should walk over to that coffee shop to meet him.” He rephrased as he read the text. Once he finished, he playfully bit the younger boy’s arm on an impulse, earning a pout.

                “Can’t we stay a bit longer?”

                “I guess not. He said he’d pick us up after word and we’ve already been here for four hours.”

                “Excuse me.” A third voice suddenly asked from behind them. “Would I be able to get an autograph? You’re Lee Taemin, right?”

                Things like these became a common occurrence since Taemin started modelling full time on weekends, getting only the occasional one to himself. He definitely didn’t think he was worth of a fan base, but recently, that’s what seemed to be forming.

                “Um, yes, of course.” He answered, turning around.

                Amused, the person laughed. “You’re so conceited.”

                “Heechul, what are you doing here?” He whined, smacking the older boy’s arm.

                “Welcoming as always.” Heechul laughed, smacking Taemin’s in return.

                “What are you doing here?” Jongin asked, standing up to join them, brushing his clothes off.

                “I was just walking through. I decided to take to detour on my way home. Walk an extra couple of subway stations instead of hopping onto the nearest one, you know?” He explained, drawing attention to the plastic bags in his hands, each one overflowing with groceries.

                “Do you want a ride home?” Taemin offered, “Minho’s just about to pick us up.”

                “No, you know what, it’s fine. I can take the subway.”  

                “I won’t take no as an answer.” He smiled, stealing a handful of bags from the elder, sticking his tongue out.

                “Well then I guess I’ll have to take you up on that offer.” Heechul chuckled, nodding for Jongin to come along with them before he got too left behind.

 

 

 

 

                They met Minho moments later as he greeted them all with a huge smile.

                “What’s up?” Taemin asked, hopping into the front seat, giving his husband a soft kiss on the cheek.

                “I got promoted.” He explained as calmly as he could, although the more he thought about it, the more excited and prouder he found himself feeling.

                “Wow, really? I’m so proud of you! What did you get promoted to?”

                “Well, I don’t mean to brag but…”

                “Oh, just brag already!” Heechul yelled from the back, hitting Minho on the shoulder.

                “Okay, okay! I got promoted to be the store manager!”

                “Minho!” Taemin smiled, pulling the boy in by his collar, rewarding him with a much deserved kiss on the lips, already deciding that more would come later that night.

                “Congratulations!” The other two smiled, awarding him with pats and laughter. “Let’s go out drinking!”

                So they did.

 

 

 

                After the promotion, Minho worked a lot more. He worked a lot more but he also brought a lot more money home and him and Taemin found themselves on romantic dates and vacations a lot more than before.

                Jongin got a proper job too, even though it was just manual labour at a factory. It paid well.

                Months went by and soon Taemin was a growingly popular model, already making appointments with several popular magazines and fashion lines.

                They seemed to transition from lost young adults to people well on their way in a short span.

                Their grades were well maintained as well, each of them finishing their year with nothing less than an eighty.

                The growing didn’t stop there. As the summer flew by, each of them working full time, Taemin and Jongin growing more and more independent from their parents, they started their next year of school with high hopes.

                It wasn’t until one night, sometime around New Years, that the couple sat under the stars, watching one of the last nights of the year fade into one of the last days of the year, Minho clearly holding something in his thoughts.

                “Taemin, you have one more year of university left. Are you planning on getting any other kind of degree?”

                As of then, he wasn’t, so naturally, he shook his head. “Nope.”

                “Well, I know I still have a few more years to go but after this year, once you graduate, I’d like to settle down and start a family.”

                “What?”

                “I want to adopt a kid. We might have to move, but we have the money for it if push comes to shove. I’m not forcing it on you. You’ll be twenty one so if you don’t want to, I mean, if you still want to act your age, I totally get it. I just- you know, I sometimes dream of us raising a little boy.”

                Taemin always felt flustered when it came to that topic. It embarrassed him. Minho really loved him and he really loved Minho.

                “If it’s what you want, then I want to start a family too… I don’t have a problem because I don’t work restricted hours. I can be with him while you’re at school and then we can do family stuff together.”

                Minho smiled. “Yeah, I’d love that.”

 

 

                At first, they continued as usual, but Taemin noticed subtle changes. Minho began moving things out of his cramped studio. It started out with small things, like moving some camera equipment out into a nearby, generally unused closet. Then Minho rented on of the lockers in their building, keeping the larger pieces there. When Taemin walked in there after a month, it was half empty.

                “Minho!” He called, “Come here!”

                “Yes, Kitten?”

                “What are you doing with this room?”

                “I’m preparing it.”

                “For?”

                “Well if we have a kid, he needs somewhere to sleep, right? He needs a room.”              

                “Minho…”

                “I know it’s early, but it’ll take a long time to get ready to bring someone new into the house, right? So it’s better to start as early as possibly…”

                They still had a whole year and probably more so it was pretty early, but maybe time would fly by. “Well what about your studio? Where are you going to work on your photos now?”

                “Our bedroom is pretty big and I don’t really need more than a desk and a lap top, and obviously some space for my tablet. I think I can compromise.”

                The half empty room had a huge impact on Taemin, leading him to a realization. “This is really happening, isn’t it?”

                “Only if you want it to.”

 

 

 

 

                Minho began putting his money aside. Without saying anything, Taemin started as well. It got to the point where they were really on track for the general date they decided on.

                Taemin decided to take Jongin out, a conversation definitely needed.

                “What’s with taking me to dinner on a whim?”

                “I wanted to come out with something.”

                “Oh, let me guess, you’re gay.” The younger boy teased, earning a laugh.

                “Believe it or not, I’m a raging homoual. But no, um… me and Minho are going to adopt by the end of this summer. Well, neither of us are completely sure of the process and how long it takes, I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes a few years, but we’ll be ready to start paperwork once school ends.”

                “Wow. So is this about me having to move out, huh?”

               “No, no, no, no!” Taemin quickly shook his head, “We’re going to use the room that was Minho’s studio. I just- well, if you want to move out, that’s fine too. That’s not something we want though. You can still live with us in your room and whatever. I just wanted to let you know that not extremely long after I graduate, well, there’ll be two little feet running around the house.”

                Jongin nodded along, but he didn’t show the enthusiasm Taemin expected. “I’m happy for you but… as a gay couple, can you even adopt?”

                That was definitely one of their major problems and they weren’t sure how to avoid it yet. “As far as we know, it’s illegal… See, the laws say that to adopt, you have to be at least twenty five… Minho will be around there about a year after I graduate. Single parent adoption is legal too so if Minho applies as a single parent… well, I think he’ll be able to adopt.”

                “But then you won’t legally be the parent.”

                Taemin had a bit of a sad smile. “Yeah… I think I may still be able to qualify as a step parent if all goes well…”

                “This is a huge decision. You’re only twenty. Are you sure you’re ready for this?”

                That really was an important question Taemin didn’t know the answer to. “I want to be ready… for Minho. I just… it’s so hard to be gay here, you know?”

                “I know.”

 

 

 

                “What if we can’t adopt because we’re gay?” Taemin mentioned later that night, their bodies still and overheated.

                “That can be a huge obstacle, huh?”

                “Seriously! What if we can’t? Or what if you have to adopt as a single parent and then I won’t really be the dad? Maybe you should just adopt a kid yourself and me and Jongin can just help raise it as uncles or something.”

                Minho’s arms slipped around his waist, pulling him closer into a tight embrace. “I only want to raise a child with you. Look, maybe I will be the only parent under documentation, but you’ll always be the father.”

                “Father… yeah… I guess… I don’t know.”

                “Are you second guessing it?” The elder whispered, and although his voice was quiet and calm, there was a hint of heartache in it.

                “…Yeah- well- no… no I’m not… It’s just… in my mind, I thought it would be more like buying a dog… you just walk into the store, pick the one you like the most, bring it home and love it forever. There’s so much more to it and not everyone can adopt… it’s so difficult.”

                The older boy’s breath brushed against his shoulder, his grip tightening. “Look, I would do anything in the world to make you the father of my child. I promise you that, okay?”

                Taemin felt slightly reassured but he would be lying is he said he felt as relaxed and open to the idea as he was when all obstacles seemed nonexistent and he could just count down day. Minho knew that and Minho was kind. He peppered him with kisses, reassuring ones, reminding him that no matter what happened, he’d love him just as much.

                “Kitten, when we adopt our little boy, what do you think he’ll be like? Or… hmm, maybe a better question would be what are we going to do? Our lives will really change forever, you know?”

                He smiled at the idea, nodding. “I think we’ll go to the park a lot. We’ll treat him like a prince an raise him open-mindedly. He’ll have everything we can give him and most importantly, I think he’ll be healthy and happy.”

                “That’s a good plan. Tonight, I’ll dream about that kind of future. Will you dream about it?”

                “I’ll dream about it.” Taemin laughed, receiving a goodnight kiss.

                “Then let’s get to sleep quickly.”

                With that, they both surrendered to the night.

                

 

 

 

A/N: For those wondering, I'll be wrapping this story up soon (I hope.)