Chapter 34

False Awakening

                Taemin stood in the door, shocked being a huge understatement.

                He was too frozen to register the arms being thrown around him as he was pulled into a tight hug. He quickly shook the state off, hugging the surprise guest tightly. “Are you not happy to see me, hyung?” they asked. “No… I just wasn’t expecting you to come. At all… come in.” They both walked inside and Taemin shut the door. He noticed a suit case trailing behind. “Hey. Minho, right?” Minho suspiciously nodded. “Yeah. Fancy seeing you here, Kai.” The boy smiled. “Thanks.” Taemin went up behind him and took the suitcase in hand, placing it to the side. “Sit down. Do you want something to drink?” He nodded, sitting next to Minho. “Do you have any juice?” Taemin shimmied off to the kitchen. “I hope I didn’t interrupt anything.” He said, looking towards Minho. “No, you didn’t.” Taemin came back, a glass of orange juice in one hand, and a fresh cup of coffee for Minho. He naturally leaned in to kiss Minho on the cheek, but pulled back halfway, offering a shy smile instead. He turned his attention back to the guest. “So what are you doing all the way out here, Kai?” Taemin asked, sincerely astonished by the boy’s sudden appearance. “Ah, well… I missed you.” Taemin laughed, sitting down at the table parallel to the couch. “Kai, that’s great, but it’s nine o’clock at night. Couldn’t missing me wait until tomorrow morning? I mean, how are you going to get home when the trains all stop running?” The boy started scratching the back of his head. He looked really anxious. “Actually, I won’t be. I’ve transferred and I’m going to go to school here now.” They were both surprised, but Taemin was actually quite delighted. “Oh really? Did you guys end up moving here? That’s great!” Kai moving closer was amazing news. Being reunited with a childhood friend again was a wish Taemin always hoped would come true. “Where do you live now? Near here?” Taemin nudged on. “Actually, hyung, about that… I was hoping to move in with you.” Minho chocked on his coffee and Taemin easily did so on the breath he was taking. “What?” They both asked in disbelief. “Uhm, I’m not too sure about it, but my parents talked it over a little with yours! I’ve had money put away since a while ago, and I’ve always wanted to be closer to you. I have enough to pay my half of the rent for a few months and I’ll take up a job!” Taemin shook his head, trying to find the words to express his next thought. “I… I don’t know Jongin. It’s a really big decision that can’t be made in a few minutes.” He heard Minho chuckle quietly to himself. Their eyes met and he knew what was going through his head. ‘That’s not what you were thinking when you asked me to move in’ and It’s true. Taemin always wanted Minho here and the idea of them living together just seemed so natural and easy. If Minho asked to move in, Taemin wouldn’t give it a second thought. He loved Minho though, so that was okay. “I don’t have anywhere to stay tonight…” Kai began, but Taemin cut him off. “You’re definitely staying the night! I’ll just… let me think about all of this, okay? I’ll talk to my mom tomorrow and we’ll sort it out. This is a really big thing, I hope you understand.” Kai nodded quickly. “I’ll also be attending school with you, Taemin. My parents enrolled me there.” Taemin sighed as the huge hurdle was thrown his way. “Wow… okay.” Minho put his cup down and stood up. “You have a lot going on right now, so I’m going to go.” Jongin gasped quietly, looking up at him. “You don’t have to go!” Kai was about to get up as well, convincing the boy, but a hand on his leg stopped him. “No, he’s right Kai.” Taemin looked up at Minho, standing up to walk him to the door. He stood by Minho’s side as he slipped his shoes on and reached for the door knob. He went to give Minho a parting kiss but was quickly rejected. “Can I talk to you outside? It’ll only take a second.” Taemin was curious as to the topic, nodding. His heart fluttered when his hand was taken, the first loving touch since Kai arrived. “We’ll be right back, Kai.” The youngest offered a ‘ne’ as they both stepped out, closing the door behind them. “What is it Minho?” Taemin asked. Still holding his hand, Minho spoke. “Taemin, don’t tell him we’re dating, okay?” Not understanding, Taemin raised his eyebrows. “Why?” Minho shrugged. “It’s just a theory I have, so don’t.” He felt Minho’s hand slip from his and so he grabbed for the boy’s sweater, both hands clinging to the elder’s chest to keep him close. “Wait, so I can’t touch you or kiss you or anything?” Minho smiled, caressing Taemin’s cheek. “Of course you can, just try not to in front of him, okay?” He leaned down, slowly backing Taemin up against the door. With his hand still on Taemin’s cheek, he kissed the boy slowly. Taemin laced his arms around Minho’s neck with a smile, happily kissing back. When they pulled away from that kiss, Minho planted another on Taemin’s nose, then cheek, then eye, and finally forehead. “I guess we have to put our moving in plans on hold, huh?” Taemin pouted jokingly. “I guess.” Pulling away completely now, Minho ruffled Taemin’s hair. “I’ll call you later, okay?” Taemin nodded. “Oh, by the way, why did you call him Jongin at one point?” Minho asked. “Oh, that’s his real name. Kai is just a nickname I’ve called him by since we were kids. Sometimes when I talk seriously, his real name slips.” Now Minho nodded. “Oh, okay. Well anyways, I’m going now. I love you.” Taemin smiled, sending Minho off. “I love you too Minho. I’ll wait for your call!”

                Smiling, he went back inside. Kai was taking a sip of his juice. Taemin looked at the clock which sported a vibrant 9:48. “You must be tired. I didn’t know you were coming so I didn’t prepare. Do you mind sleeping on the couch for just tonight?” Kai nodded. “Sure hyung. Thank you for taking me in on such short notice. You really are the best.” Taemin looked over at the suitcase, bringing it further into the house now that it might be here permanently. “You didn’t bring a lot, did you?” Kai shook his head. “No, I don’t really have much anyways.” Leaving it by the closet, Taemin walked around the couch, hugging Kai from behind. “Then we should go shopping tomorrow. You can buy yourself a nice outfit.” Kai nuzzled into Taemin’s arms, closing his eyes. “No, I can’t. I don’t want to spend any money because then I’ll have less for the things I need, like uniforms and for the house.” Sneaking his head onto Kai’s shoulder, Taemin bit the younger boy’s cheek playfully. “Then I’ll buy it for you. I think with a leftover half of the rent now; I can afford to buy some gifts.” He pat Kai’s chest, getting up to make some snacks. “You don’t have to. Um, I’m going to go change. I’ll be right back.” He got up, going into the bathroom, taking the suitcase along the way. A few minutes later, Taemin heard the door open and close once again. He prepared bread and took out a knife and some jam. While spreading the jam, he felt himself being embraced. He could tell the height difference almost immediately as well. “Kai, you just keep growing and growing. How am I supposed to be calling you my dongsaeng when I have to look a foot higher?” Kai’s hands fell over Taemin’s, helping him with preparing the food. “Maybe you’ll start calling me hyung then?” Taemin scoffed, putting both pieces of bread together. He turned around, facing Kai as he stuck the sandwich in the younger boy’s mouth. “You should just eat and be quiet. And while you’re at it, give me some room to breathe, will you?” He smiled, caged between Kai’s arms. “But I’m just a baby. Who’s going to feed me?” Laughing, he slipped out. He went into his closet and pulled out extra blankets and a pillow. “I guess I have to feed you and tuck you in too, huh? You know, at sixteen, I wasn’t prepared to become a parent. I might have to consider adoption.” He heard heavy footsteps and nearly tripped when Kai jumped on him from behind. “No, Umma you can’t give me up for adoption!” He stumbled several times before grabbing Kai’s legs on both side of him. He carried him over the couch where he dropped the younger boy, dropping the blankets and pillow on top of him. “I’m not your mom!” Taemin pouted, ironically tucking the smiling boy in. “Taemin, you forgot about something!” He raised his voice as he grabbed Taemin’s wrist. “What do you want now? A bottle?” Jongin laughed, tugging on the older boy’s wrist. “A good night kiss.” Rolling his eyes, Taemin knelt down, leaving a kiss on Kai’s forehead. He received several kissed in return along his neck. When Taemin pulled away, looking for an explanation, Kai just laughed it off. “Thank you, Umma. Speaking of which, I’m going to call my real mom now. Can you give me a moment?” Taemin did, stepping away to go get changed himself. He heard Kai from the bathroom. “Yeobosaeyeo. Yeah, I’m here right now. I got here safely. He was really surprised. I did, but I’ll apologize later anyways. I ate on the way here but Taemin-nim made me food too. What? Okay.” Taemin came out cozy in his pajama and Kai signalled him over to take a seat on the couch. “My mom wants to talk to you for a second.” Surprised, Taemin accepted the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hello Taemin-ah. How are you?”

“I’m good Imo, and you?”

“I’m fine. I just wanted to thank you so much for taking Jongin-ah in with no notice.”

“Oh, I’m really happy to see him again. I’m glad that we can be together.”

“I see. Well I won’t waste your time, I’m sure you’re very busy.”

“I’m not too busy, but I don’t want to waste your time either. It was nice hearing from you again and I hope we can see each other soon. I will do my best to take care of Jongin-ah and help him settle down here as well as at school.”

“You are such a good boy, Taemin-ah. Your parents have raised you well. Good night. May you please hand the phone back to Jongin-ah?”

“Yes. Good night.” He did as instructed. Kai listened for a second before speaking. “Okay, you should go rest Umma. I miss you too. Tell Appa I miss him. Good night!” He hung up and looked over at Taemin. “My mom really likes you.” Taemin smiled. “I really like your mom and dad.” Kai rested his head on the back of the couch. “And what about me?” He asked teasingly. Taemin shot Kai a sweet eye smile, the corners of his mouth turning up as well. “I don’t like picking favourites, but if I have to, it would definitely be…” Kai leaned in, anticipated the answer he knew was coming. “Your dog. I like your dog the best.” Shocked, Kai smacked Taemin’s shoulder. “What do you mean my dog?! You idiot!” Taemin laughed as Kai threw his arms around the older boy, holding his head tightly against his chest. “Ow! Don’t bully me! You’re so mean!” Kai squeezed him, messing up his hair. “You know I’m your favourite!” Taemin bit Kai’s stomach but it had little to no affect. “Then let me go!” Kai shook his head, wrapping his legs around the boy’s body. “But I need to hear you say it!” He pulled Taemin up, placing his forehead against his. “You’re my favourite!” Kai smiled. “You’re my favourite too, Taemin. And you look really good in blonde. When did you dye it?” He ran his fingers through Taemin’s hair, playing with the ends. “Not that long ago. I recently retouched the roots.” Kai leaned in, burying his face into Taemin’s hair and surprised Taemin by inhaling. “You smell really nice.” Getting off, Taemin went to turn off the lights and get into bed. “Yeah, because unlike you, I actually take showers.” Kai relaxed in the sheets. “You’re so mean to me.” Taemin mumbled something, grabbing his phone before heading for the door. “I’m going to make a phone call too, okay?” He opened the front door and let the warm air hit him. He shut the door behind him slowly, taking a seat on the stairs. Unlocking his phones, he dialled Minho’s number. After a few rings, Minho picked up. “Hello?” Taemin smiled at the sound. “Hi Minho.” There was a sound of recognition that came before a chuckle. “Taemin-ah, how are you?” Taemin hugged his knees. “I miss you.” He leaned his head on the railing. “We were together literally just over a bit ago.” The younger boy yawned. “I know. But I’m going to sleep now. I just wanted to hear your voice. You know, I’m going to be lonely.” He heard Minho laugh. “Then what if you sneak out to see me during the night? I can make all of the loneliness go away.” Shaking his head, it was now Taemin’s turn to laugh. “I love you, Minho.” He whispered, unsure of how well Kai could hear him if at all. “I love you too Taemin. I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?” Smiling, he began to stand up. “Okay. Good night.” He reached for the door handle, stepping back inside. “Good night Taemin. I hope you have sweet dreams, but only about me, okay? If you dream about anyone else, I’ll get really jealous. You’ll tell me about your dreams tomorrow okay? Sleep tight.” Taemin giggled, whispering a final. “I love you.” He hung up, diving into bed. He stared at the dark ceiling, wiggling around with thoughts of Minho flooding his mind.

He had fallen asleep but he wasn’t sure for how long. He felt himself be shaken lightly and, being as drowsy as he was, whined. He began waving his hands around weakly until his hand smacked against something. He whined louder until his hand was softly grabbed. “Taemin… stop…” He opened his eyes, waiting as they slowly adjusted to the dim lighting. He soon began to make out a figure crouching next to the bed. He closed his eyes tightly and opened them once more, making out Kai. The younger boy was laying his head on the bed. Taemin propped himself up on his elbows as he began to sit up. “What’s wrong, Kai?” Kai shifted, running Taemin’s hand against his cheek. “I can’t sleep.” Taemin took control of his hand, now willingly giving Kai gentle caresses. “What’s the matter?” Kai shrugged. “I’m a little nervous and lonely…” Taemin looked to Kai before pulling his hand away, scooting over in his bed. When Kai looked up, he patted the now unoccupied space. Slowly, Kai understood and crawled in. He hesitantly came closer, sliding himself between Taemin’s legs. He rested his head on the elder’s chest, wrapping his arms around him. Taemin returned the embrace, softly playing with Kai’s hair. Despite being too tired to keep his eyes open for more than a few seconds, he continued to massage the boy’s back. Feeling Kai occasionally squeeze him, Taemin went on to tell a story. “You know what this reminds me of?” He got no reply but that was fine. “When we were kids and you were staying at my hotel room for the night. We set up all the sheets and made a tent and we slept kind of exactly like this.” Kai laughed quietly, nodding. “This is nothing like that, Taemin.” Taemin lifted Kai slightly, still hearing a nervous tone in his voice. “How about some hot milk? I’ll go make you some.” He rolled out from underneath, slipping into his slippers before pulling the covers over Kai. He staggered towards the fridge, taking out some milk and pouring it into a mug. He placed it in the microwave, hissing as it lit up, burning his eyes. Once it beeped, he took the warm mug out. He shuffled back to the bed where Kai sat up. “Here you go.” The younger boy thanked him, taking the warm cup into his hands and drinking from it. Taemin offered him a gentle smile, rubbing circles on his thigh. After a few more sips, he hand Taemin the cup back. He stood up once more to go put it away. Getting on the bed again, he laid back. Turning to his side, Taemin took the covers, pulling them up to the back of Kai’s head before going back to petting the boy’s hair. “Close your eyes and go to sleep, okay? You don’t want to be tired tomorrow.” Taemin stated, preparing himself for sleep once more. “Okay, Hyung. Thank you. You know, I really, really missed you.” Kai pressed his ear against Taemin’s chest, falling asleep to their heartbeat.

When Taemin woke up the next morning, Kai’s head was buried in his neck and he nearly forgot the change in living scenario. He could tell by the boy’s steady breathing that he was sleeping alright. Slithering out of the boy’s hold, he stepped out of bed, yawning. His phone buzzed and he looked at the screen. He got a message from Minho.

‘Open the door?’

He then turned to see someone tapping on the little glass the created a visual pathway from the indoors to the outdoors. He jogged over to the door, opening it with a wide smile. “Minho! What are you doing here so early?” The elder laughed, scooping him closer with one arm before planting a kiss of his forehead. “Early? It’s eleven.” Taemin took his hand, leading him inside. “Kai’s still sleeping.” He explained. Noticing the boy, Minho raised an eyebrow. “In your bed?” Taemin nodded. “Yeah. He woke me up last night saying he wasn’t feeling too well. I gave him some milk and rubbed his back until he fell asleep. He seems fine now though, so I’m not so worried anymore.” Minho smiled, twirling Taemin around in his arms. “You’re such a responsible adult.” He complimented. “That’s right. I’m his ‘hyung’. For once I’m not the one being taken care of.” He reached around, grabbing a handful of Taemin’s hair while pulling the boy in. “But Taemin, you just basically scream ‘take care of me’. And it’s even harder on me, do you know why?” He questioned, leaning in. Their lips were a breath apart. “Why?” Taemin asked, quickly getting pulled into the mood. “Because I’ve seen so many sides of you that you haven’t shown others and it drives me crazy.” Taemin’s hands scrambled up Minho’s back as he arched against the older boy. “Minho, please take care of me~” He teased. “Actually,” Minho began. “I was thinking of taking you out on a date. Like, a proper date. Not with the guys or with Ruki or anyone, and not at home. I want to take you out somewhere. Maybe a restaurant, maybe rent a paddleboat out at the park, maybe go shopping? You know, when everything settles down. Would that be okay with you?” Taemin nodded, accompanied by a smile. “Yes, I’d love that. And if you could help me with making breakfast for the three of us that would be great too.” Minho chuckled. “I can do that.” Patting Minho’s shoulder, Taemin walked away. “Great, then I’ll go wake Kai up.” His arm was grabbed as Minho half-shouted a ‘wait’. “What is it?” He asked, surprised. “Give me one last kiss.” And so Taemin did. And then he went to wake his new roommate up.

A/N: Hey guys, I might be uploading another fanfic although this one is a oneshot (I'll probably split it into two or three parts because of the length) so if you want, look out for that one.