Chapter 1

False Awakening

 

As he gained consciousness once again, his hands were no longer blood stained, but his body was in terrible agony. He found comfort in the softness of the object on which lay on, only attempting to sink further into it. As he stirred for a few minutes, he mentally agreed to face the confusing reality of what was behind his eyelids. Peeking with his left eye first, all he saw was white. "Am I dead..?" The boy wondered, risking opening the other. Now the scene expanded and he could see a window from the corner of his eye. The white rays blinded him although the newly found warmth was a comfort. A barely audible groan was omitted from a crack between his lips as he forced his muscles to compromise. Turning his head to the other direction, his mind was able to recognize the shape of another person. Hair was poking out between strips upon strips of bandage as the torso bobbed at a steady pace. Taemin half-consciously reached out toward the unknown figure. His fingertips registered the softness of their hair just before jerking back from an unexpected grunt. “Aigoo, my neck..” Taemin slowly sat up as the other grumbled, their glances meeting. Taemin’s lips parted in the hope of figuring what was going on, only for a strange voice to fill his mouth. A doctor walked in, clipboard in hand. “I see you’ve woken up, Taemin. You must be confused, huh?” Taemin didn’t know what was going on at all. He was confused, he couldn’t connect word to meaning, he wanted to wake up from this and find himself in his warm bed with a gentle breeze fluttering about. He nodded. “Well let’s start from introductions. I’m Doctor Choi. I’ve been monitoring your condition since you’ve arrived a few hours ago. You seem stable enough. Nothing but a few scratches and bruises. You’ll be fine. You we’re saved by this brave young gentleman here. If it wasn’t for him, you’d be dead.” Taemin’s eyes followed the doctor’s hand as it reached for the others shoulder and gave it a firm pat. Now that he got a proper look at him, he was quite handsome. He had large eyes and very pale skin. Probably biracial, Taemin thought. His hair rode down his neck and ended in curls. Or maybe waves. Taemin’s vocabulary wasn’t fully accessible at the moment. He snapped from his daydreaming as he caught the doctor leaving, not hearing a single word of what followed his previous sentence. Just before the door completely closed, his eyes tore away to follow the high-pitched sound of chair legs against the floor. “Alright, well I’m off.” The pale boy was now standing, pulling his arm back by his elbow hoping to achieve a satisfying stretch. It took Taemin a bit to realize that this was the stage at which they exchanged good byes. He quickly lunged forward across the bed, losing his balance and exhaling as he caught it once more, holding onto the hem of the others shirt. “W-wait, you.. you can’t just leave!” Taemin’s pain-enduring, dilated pupils were staring holes into the young mans. “But I am.” He grabbed his wrist and shook it off his shirt, shrugging his sweater on. Taemin gave another try “What’s your name?” A long, exasperated sigh filled the hollows of the room. “Minho.” The younger’s lips mouthed each syllable a few times in attempt to mimic. All at once, he looked around the room, glancing around for any of his belongings. He took note of the fact that the only thing in the room which appeared to belong to him was the back pack. He tossed it over his shoulder. He tugged at Minho’s sleeve, earning a blank stare from the other. “I gotta thank you for what you did. I mean, I’d feel horrible otherwise”

“You don’t have to do anything.”

“And live with a guilty conscience?”

“Yup.”

“I guess you’ll just have to put up with me following you then.”

Minho grunted, throwing an annoyed glare. They left the hospital and walked quietly. Taemin trailed behind in Minho’s footsteps, humming a happy tune. He had to settle for the occasional glance he was given every few steps of Minho staring down into a camera screen, pressing on invisible designs on it, adjusting setting, and turning the focus ring. He tried to stay quiet enough not to upset his newly found friend but gave into curiosity. He jogged up so that they were now side by side, finding it a challenge to keep up. “Are you a photographer?” Silence. “How old are you? You look pretty mature. Not that you look old! You look young.. but not like a little kid.. er- forget it. Do you work?” After that, they walked quietly for blocks until suddenly, “I’m 18.” Taemin dared not to look at him in fear of building the wall he just barely managed to break down. He just stared at his feet. “So you’re still in high school, like me! That means you’re my hyung.”  

“No.”

“No? But.. 18, that’s-“ Taemin lifted his palms up in front of him, slowly straightening his fingers one by one, pasting their shadows onto the sidewalk as he mumbled meaningless nothings. “You’re a senior..” The elder raised his forefinger and thumb to the bridge of his nose, pinching it before shoving his camera into his bag, allowing Taemin to catch a quick glance of a picture of long flowing hair with cherry blossoms caught in it. “I skipped a grade or two. I’m in college.” Taemin locked his arms in front of him, making two “L”’s with his hands, forming them into a rectangle. He imitated a camera screen, shutting one eye tight and aiming his new device around. “ So you are a photographer~”

“I’m majoring in photography.” He corrected. They walked for blocks with neither making any attempts at conversation. As the managed to walk past a park, Minho grabbed the unsuspecting Taemin’s sleeve and pulled him into a building. Taemin squeaked a bit in shock before all sorts of pleasing aromas engulfed them. Taemin opened his eyes to the sight of a friendly looking restaurant of some sort. Minho lead them to a table near a window before dropping his wrist and taking a seat. Taemin glanced around taking in this new location. The floor was made of what resembled birch boards. A marble counter was erected from the ground, one side attached to a square, brick column, the other weight down by a 5 foot tall glass rack. The furniture was simple. White chairs around white tables and white lamps attached to or hanging from white walls and ceilings. The occasional dark wood accented the wall. They we’re sitting by a painting of a bowl of apples. It was all grey except for a single yellow banana in the centre. The table had a simple lace tablecloth, white like much of the other items. There was a small metal stand in the middle; thin metal rods entwining around a salt and pepper shaker. Wedged in between were two menus. As Taemin finished his assessment, he looked forward to notice Minho sitting as he devoured the menu with his eyes, on his lower lip. Taemin followed his lead and took a seat. “What are we doing here, hyung?” He looked back and forth between Minho and his menu, hesitating to pick it up. “You said you were going to treat me, right?” He puckered his lips and released, making a sound as he closed the menu and looked towards the waitress who Taemin did not notice approached. “Annyeonghaseyo~ What may I get you two today?” Minho recited a list as Taemin quickly took a double take at the menu. “I’ll have a red bean pastry and some green tea, please.” As the waitress walked away, Taemin felt a strange awkwardness fall onto them. He twiddled his thumbs before spilling out the words he’s been holding in since he saw Minho. “Why did you save me?” The others gaze was directed at some unidentifiable object. “Someone had to do it”

“There were others. You don’t know me, we’ve never spoken, yet you risked your life for me. It’s pretty far to go for a stranger, don’t you think? What gives?”

“I just happened to be in a convenient spot.” He replied.

Taemin ruffled his hair in frustration at the others lack of enthusiasm. The waitress brought them their orders, setting what seemed like a buffet out on the table. “Jalmukesumneda.” Before he could utter another word, Minho’s mouth was full of different types of food from different types of dishes. “Hyung-“ he started but gave up prematurely when noting his hyung’s uncooperative state. He let out a deflating sigh, taking a small bite of his sweet. He tossed his head back and groaned, satisfied. “God, Hyung! This is amazing!” He stretched out his legs as far as they would go and wiggled his toes against the soles of his shoes. Right at that moment he heard the snap of a shutter. He quickly adjusted his posture and watched as the elder’s camera was tucked back into its bag. It took a few seconds longer than expected for an explanation to be provided. “You looked really happy. It felt natural.” Before another sound could escape, kimchi rested between his lips. He stared a bit before looking down into his lap, blushing. A few minutes later Minho was wiping his mouth and slouched back fulfilled, signaling for a waitress. “Is that all for today?” Minho nodded. “Alright, the total is 68,700 won.” The two exchanged glances as Taemin’s skin lost its colour and his eyes became lifeless. He slowly pulled out his wallet, searching for all bills and any possible change to provide. As he bit his lip, he looked up to the words “Sign here.” He glanced from the clip board, to a credit card, to Minho’s open wallet and finally to Minho. Then he did it all over again. “Thank you, have a great day!” The waitress walked away with a little swing in her hip and Minho slid the card back into his wallet and straightened his attire. “Hyung-“ Taemin spoke, only to be cut off. “You were my model for the photo so it’s fine. Nevertheless, I can’t let a little kid pay for me.” Taemin pouted, smacking the table lightly “I’m only two years younger than you, Hyung!” His defense was rejected as Minho checked his watch and got up, signaling towards the door. As it shut, the final rings of the bells hanging from it ceased. “Well, thanks for the food I guess, but I have to be somewhere.” He started trailing away from Taemin but was soon stopped. “Wait, Hyung! I’d like to see you again!” Taemin stared, a begging expression in his eyes. “Can we exchange numbers?” His gaze was avoided. “I won’t remember who you are anyways.” Taemin smirked, as if he knew the answer to the expected response. He ran up behind Minho and wrapped his arms around him, reaching for the camera and he dipped his head under Minho’s arm. “Then we can take a picture. If you ever forget who I am, you can just look at it!” He was surprised, his instincts not sharp enough to stop the younger one from his spontaneous actions. “Smile, c’mon! Smile!” Taemin nudged him. “I don’t smile.” Taemin huffed, not wanting to waste this short opportunity. “Fine, then I’ll just smile twice as big for the both of us!” Taemin’s smile stretched from ear to ear as the shutter snapped. He pulled away, bubbly. “Now, for the next part.” He handed over his phone, making grabby hands for the others in return. When the new phone numbers were saved in each other’s phones, they started following their separate paths. “Wait, Hyung!” Taemin stopped in his tracks. There was no reaction from the other. “Hyung, take care of me from now on!” Nothing. Taemin smiled and laughed a little before coughing and grabbing at his bandaged side. When his body eased up, he lifted his cell phone and glanced at it, slowly pressing keys. Beeps resonated around him with each press.

“See you tomorrow, Hyung.”

 

A/N: AHHH gaize! I’m done. First chapter ever written for the public eye. I hope it doesn’t seem to rushed. This took me a while to write, granted I took breaks every now and then. I can’t guarantee a day for the next chapters release. Hopefully before Monday, if not.. then next week for sure! Xxxx~