The Saddest Thing.

Breaking Tradition: The Impure Woman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♪ can't believe it

“We’re really glad that you decided to stay and join us,” Suho declared, smiling at Aejin from across the booth. The sun snuck in through the window they were neighboring as its beam struck the left side of Aejin’s face. She attempted to smile back at him but the corner of her lips only managed to defy gravity for a few moments before they fell back into a thin line. She felt like her smile looked crooked, deformed and awkward as she sat up straighter.

Miyoung adjusted her position as she scooted closer to her uncle, grinning widely at her best friend who wriggled his eyebrows up and down as a response.

“Haha,” Aejin dryly chuckled, breaking her streak of no speech. Her hands clenched into fists under the table as perspiration began forming on her palms. She was nervous as heck and tried to oppress the sickly feeling caused by his presence specifically by controlling her breathing. “Since you already spent money buying this,” she gestured to the large bowl of ice cream planted in between the four of them, “It would be a waste if it was to be thrown away.”

Then she glanced at the sly child beside her. “Eat up, Minwoo. We have to go back to the shop because I left my things there before we go home. Plus, you have to get started on your homework and eat dinner. Your bedtime is at 8:30 tonight since it’s a weekday.” She informed promptly in a rather poised tone.

“But it’s almost five already,” Minwoo pouted. “When I finish my homework, it’ll be bedtime and I won’t get to color anything.”

Aejin exhaled and glanced over at Suho who was spectating with pure curiosity. He had on a rather neutral expression which she wasn’t able to decipher as she smiled sheepishly at him. Her attention returned to Minwoo and his bottom lip was still pursed out while he blinked cutely at her. She figured out right away that he was trying to use the presences of the gorgeous man and adorable girl before them to his advantage but she wasn’t going to falter.

Parenting involved being stern and setting your foot down and that was what she needed to do. “You can color tomorrow. Homework is a priority.” She stated with finality. “That is unless you want to go home now. It’s completely fine with me; I’m not a big sweets fan anyways.”

“No, no!” he shrieked. “I can color tomorrow; I want to spend more time with Youngie.”

“Good boy,” she mused, unaware of the natural and mesmerizing smile now plastered on her face. Her hand lifted up and the top of his head affectionately almost like someone petting their cute and lovable dog. “Now eat before it gets dark out.” She requested, giving him a spoon.

As Suho observed her further, he felt a warm sensation building in the pit of his stomach. The feeling was tingling as it began to propagate through his entire body. His brain seemed to have stopped working as his mind tuned out everything around him. It was like a single spotlight had fallen on Aejin, making her look like she was the only woman left in the world. Angelic music that carried soft and soothing rhythms with the sounds of percussion instruments mingled in played and filled his ears without delay. And oddly enough, he didn’t mind.

Minwoo accepted and as he was about to dive in, his stomach let out an unpleasant gurgle. His forearm flew up and shielded his mouth from sight. He was already over-stuffed from the ice cream order he had shared with Miyoung and was certain he’d pop like a balloon if he consumed anything else. He had gotten so absorbed into convincing Aejin to stay, he forgot that he only used Suho’s gigantic sundae as a cover for them to prolong their time together.

“What’s wrong, Minwoo?” Aejin panicked, noticing his paling cheeks.

At the tone of alarm in her voice, Suho snapped out of his daze with his own heart pounding anxiously at the thought that something bad might have happened to the little boy.

“I’m—my tummy hurts.” Minwoo explained as he placed the dining utensil back onto the table.

“Oh really?” Aejin’s brows pinched together as the back of her hand moved to his forehead. “You don’t have a fever. Perhaps you ate something bad?” the concern was still evident on her face as she continued to check his body temperature repeatedly.

“I think he just had too much to eat.” Suho stated as his cheeks started to alter into a light shade of pink. “He and Miyoung actually ordered a brownie surprise and finished it before you arrived. This ginormous thing,” he jerked his head towards the sundae, “is actually mine. But I don’t think I can handle it.”

“Wait—” she did a double-take. “So you wanted to stay just to help Miyoung’s samchon eat his order?” her eyes narrowed at the green Minwoo who solemnly nodded his head. They all assumed she was going to scold him for wasting precious time but instead, she chuckled. “Your eyes are always bigger than your stomach, you rascal. Did you think your little body would be able to handle all of the ice cream?” her voice was delighting and playful and at the name she had used to address her supposed son, Suho was a little startled.

“Hey, I’m not a rascal. I’m a big boy. You’re the rascal.” Minwoo snickered, crossing his arms against his chest and then hmphing.

“Yah, yah,” she gawked. “I’m older than you. Why are you talking back to me?” she frowned before her fingers captured his small nose.

“Heeeeeeeeeey,” Minwoo dragged out in a nasally voice as she maneuvered his head side to side, laughing.

“This is a fitting punishment, you little smarty pants.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter