Vanilla Scent.

Breaking Tradition: The Impure Woman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♪ i hope

“Okay, for homework I want you guys to read pages 507 to 550. Take note of any figurative language the author uses and we will discuss it during Monday’s class. Have a great weekend.” Professor Joen declared, fixing a stack of files he had lying on his desk.

The bell dismissing the class rang; and as it did so, a girl with messy bed hair, coat on inside out carrying a pile of crumpled paper and her backpack, came hopping in on one foot because her left shoe wasn’t on all the way.

“I’m sorry I’m late, gyohsoonim.” She stumbled and lost her footing, causing her to fall onto the floor while all the things she had in her arms flew up and danced in the air before gravity brought them down to join her. 

Her peers and classmates looked at her and not one single soul chose to stop and help as they made their way out of the room. A few snickered and laughed while others sighed and shook their heads.

Tucking strands of hair that kept falling in front of her face, she was feeling quite embarrassed. Thanks for helping. She thought, bitterly.

“Ms. Park, there’s a difference between late and missing an entire class.” Her professor stated as he got up from his desk. The last student left the vicinity and now they were the only two left.

“I’m really sorry,” she apologized again, finally gathering all of her things. She straightened herself out, slipped her shoe on and swallowed as he approached her.

“Aejin-ah,” he sounded less strict and formal the second time. “This is the fifth class you’ve missed completely. And with you constantly arriving late for the other ones, I’m afraid you aren’t going to make it out of this course alive.” He sighed.

“What?!” Aejin half-shrieked, “Please, gyohsoonim, don’t fail me. I won’t be late or miss another class ever again.” She nodded, her face painted with a pained and distraught expression.

He tucked his hands into his pockets, “I want to believe you but that’s what you said the last time, Aejin. I’ve been trying to be lenient since I know you are an excellent student but this is becoming a habit now. And if I keep it up, the other students will see that I am favoring you.”

“It’s just—I’ve been really busy with other things,” she explained.

“It’s already been five months into the semester and if you’re already this far behind, I can guarantee you that you won’t make it another week.”

“I can, gyohsoonim!” She defended, desperation oozing from her tone.

“Seriously, Aejin. Is there something going on with your personal life? I mean during the first month of school you were on a roll but now…” His voice trailed off.

Aejin stared at her feet as she nibbled on her bottom lip.

“Did something happen?” Professor Joen questioned.

“Wh-what?” She stammered. “Why would you ask that?”

“It’s obvious that something’s going on in your life that’s causing all of this to happen.” He replied. “You look awful and with those bags under your eyes, anyone could see you haven’t slept a wink in the past few days.”

“I’ve been studying really late, that’s all.” Aejin assured.

Her professor exhaled and walked back to his desk. He picked up a rather thick folder and handed it to her. “This is all the material you’ve missed and need to know for the exam we’re having next week. Study them carefully because it will count as a big portion of your grade. If you ace it, you can get at least a B minus.”

Aejin smiled as she accepted his kind gift. “Kamsahamnida, gyohsoonim.” She announced, bowing.

“Now if there are any problems or if you need any kind of help, I want you to come see me, alright? I don’t want to see a student with such strong potential under any distress or flunking when she is so close to graduating.” Professor Joen said.

“Yes sir,” Aejin subtly nodded before excusing herself.

Out in the empty hall, she kneeled down and carefully set her papers on the floor. She zipped open her bag and tried to neatly stuff everything, excluding the folder she had just gotten, into it. “I should really clean this out when we get home.” She mumbled. 

Because Aejin had difficulty closing the bag all the way, she left it opened a little bit. She then slung it over her shoulder and picked herself up. She quickly flicked her wrist and checked the time to see that it was already three. Her eyes widened, “Omo. I’m going to be late again!”

After running a good ten minutes as fast as she could through the chilly streets of Seoul city, Aejin was finally able to stop. She panted heavily as her palms rested on her knees. She glanced up and saw kids running around in front of the elementary school.

Luckily for her, the wind had combed out her hair so her appearance was presentable.

Her eyes scanned the area and next to the door she found a little boy standing next to a little girl. And by the bright blue jacket he was wearing, Aejin knew she had found him. She carefully crossed the street and waved at him, “Minwoo-ah!” she shouted.

His head jolted in her direction and he sprinted to her. She crouched down and spread her arms apart to engulf him into a hug, “Noona.” He grinned. Aejin then pressed a finger to his lips and frowned.

“You know what you’re supposed to call me in front of other people.” She whispered, pu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter