Hello, Baby.

Breaking Tradition: The Impure Woman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♪ hello

“Noona, do you reallllllllly have to go?” Minwoo whispered to Aejin who was eye level with him. She glanced back at the woman who lived a floor under them standing in front of her door and nodded.

“I’ll pick you up later,” she promised.

“But why can’t I go with you?” He whined as he swayed his body side to side.

“Minwoo, you know you can’t.” Aejin answered, firmly.

“How come? I don’t have school tomorrow.” Minwoo smartly, reasoned. Then his eyes became wider and he was using the puppy dog stare on her. “Just this one time noona, pleasssssse.” He begged.

“Choi Minwoo, when I say no it means no. Now stop it.” Aejin ordered. He fell silent and his gaze fell to the floor. She began to feel guilty and stood tall. Ah, why does he have to do this? She massaged her temples and walked over to the lady, leaving Minwoo alone. “Ahjumma Kam, I think I’ll take him with me tonight. I’m sorry for the inconvenience.” She said, bowing.

“It’s no problem, dear. You work too hard. Are you sure you want to take him? Wouldn’t your boss say something?” Mrs. Kam questioned.

“Mhm, I don’t think he should. Last time I saw another employee bringing their daughter in.” Aejin recalled.

“Alright, just making sure. Be careful, alright?”

“Neh, kamsahamnida.” She stated as she returned back to Minwoo whose face was now plastered with a wide grin. “You knew I’d say yes, didn’t you?”

“Mhm hmm!” He nodded as he joined their hands. “Because noona loves my aegyo.”

Aejin pushed his forehead back with her finger, “Getting sneaky, aren’t we? Come on, I don’t want to be late.” She prodded as they exited the building.

It was already eight and pretty dark. Unfortunately, for Aejin her job was over five blocks away and if she didn’t get there soon, she could risk her pay getting cut. She started to walk faster but it was very difficult for Minwoo’s tiny feet to keep up with her.

“Noo-noona, slow down.” He pleaded.

“I can’t. If I do I could be in trouble.” She hastily replied and then Minwoo tripped. Aejin froze and quickly helped him up. “Are you okay?!” She panicked, examining him.

“It hurts,” he whimpered.

“What hurts?” Next he held his hands out for her and Aejin was able to see the small scrapes he had on his palms. Blood was slowly gushing out and although it wouldn’t have hurt for Aejin, it was different for a child like Minwoo. “Mianhe, I shouldn’t have rushed.” She said, eyes softening.

She pulled out tissues she carried and blotted his wounds. “It’s okay, noona. I’m not mad.”

Aejin stopped and looked into his eyes, a smile sprawled across her lips. We’ve come a long way, haven’t we?

◄ Two Months Ago ►

“A plus. Excellent job, Ms. Park.” Professor Joen praised as he handed over the corrected test. A girl with her hair in a neat side pony tail, her clothes wrinkleless and her backpack organized accepted the paper with a satisfied smile.

“Thank you, sir.” She answered as she exited the class. She examined the test and discovered she didn’t miss a single question. Literature was always her best subject. As she walked through the crowded halls, she was able to dodge other bodies without having to look up. It was how she always walked so people were accustomed to moving out of her path.

She wasn’t feared or the queenka, nothing like that. Just a normal, above average student. She was known for her conservative attitude and behavior and oddly enough, that earned her a lot of respect. And as she made her way to her next class, someone popped up besides her.

“Hey, Aejin! You should let me borrow that test of yours since I have to make it up,” a male student taking Professor Joen’s class as well announced as he tried snatching the paper from her. But right as Aejin heard his voice, she knew what he was planning so she had moved the paper away before he could get a hold of it.

“Lee Minhyuk, don’t you know how to study?” She asked, annoyed.

Minhyuk his teeth and rolled his eyes. Aejin had known him since freshman year and ever since then he was always trying to cheat off of her and she really didn’t like it. “We’re friends aren’t we?”

She froze and slowly turned her head towards him, “Friends?” she repeated. She hadn’t had one of those in years. She was always too busy with her studies to conduct a social life as well. “What’s my favorite color then?”

The lad looked at her and then scratched the back of his ear, “Pink?” She had caught him off guard that was for sure.  

Upon hearing his answer, Aejin couldn’t hold back her scoff. She loathed that color more than anything. Then without saying another word, she resumed walking. However, Minhyuk was not going to give up. He needed that test real bad.

He jogged up behind her and caught her elbow. “I was kidding,” he defended. Aejin knew he was lying though.

“Look,” she began as she tore his hand from her. “Even if I were to give it to you, it wouldn’t help. You know why?” He shook his head. “Professor Joen’s make-ups are always different from the actual test he gives during class.”

“Aish! How could I forget about that?” He groaned, ruffling his hair. “Well, do you think you could—” Minhyuk glanced up and to his surprise, Aejin had already vanished. He kicked the air and snapped his finger. “Another zero it is.”

[♦] [♦] [♦]

As the day moved along, Aejin was finishing up her last class. The teacher assigned them homework and as she wrote it down in her planner the bell rang. She gathered her things neatly, tucking all of her paper into a folder. “Neat freak,” she heard one of the girls whom she didn’t know well snicker.

But Aejin didn’t care what she thought about her for it wasn’t her problem. She continued on getting her things in order before journeying back home.

The sun was starting to set and the warm breezy air accompanied Aejin as she made her way home. As she arrived at the nice apartment building located a block away, she unlocked the door which allowed her entrance. She climbed up the stairs to the second floor and was home at last.

In the nice apartment there was a living room, dinning room and kitchen combined once you entered. Then there was a single bedroom and a bathroom. It was more than perfect for Aejin and she was thankful her parents had found this place for her.

She tossed her bag onto the couch and strolled over to the fridge. She got out apple juice and poured herself a glass. “So much studying to do,” she mumbled to herself.

Finally downing the cup, she rinsed it and placed it back onto the rack. Everything about her life was neat and clean. Organized and tidy, that’s the way she has always known it to be.

Then Aejin returned to the couch and plopped down on the floor in front of her coffee table which had all her textbooks stacked on it. She dragged her backpack onto her lap and pulled out her color-coded notebooks along with two pens, a black and blue one, a number two pencil and a sharpener since she hated dull pencils.

She arranged them accordingly on the table and started to work diligently.

Suddenly her house line started to ring but Aejin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter