Accidents.

Breaking Tradition: The Impure Woman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♪ you're all grown up

“What do you mean the number’s already disconnected? She was using it yesterday!” Aejin shouted into the phone.

“I’m sorry, agasshi. But she canceled her plan with us this morning. There is nothing we can do and even if she was still a member, I couldn’t tell you any of her personal information.” The man answered.

“But—but,” Aejin glanced over to Minwoo who had finally fallen asleep after an hour of crying for his mother. She bit her lip and chose to give up. “Alright then, thanks for trying anyways.”

As she hung up, she picked up the letter addressed to her from Hyomin. It read:

Dear Aejin,

            By the time you read this letter you probably can’t find me anywhere. And knowing you, you must have tried my number only to find that it was no longer in service. Please don’t be angry with me. I can explain and knowing you again, I know you’ll read on. Look, I’m really sorry for leaving Minwoo with you but it was the best thing I could do for him. To be honest, I know I’m a horrible mother. You must be wondering how in the world could I abandon my own flesh and blood like this but if I didn’t neither of us would be able to survive out in the world, Aejin. I have no money, no job, no house, no anything and if I brought Minwoo with me, I would bring him nothing but misery. I could barely support myself so how am I supposed to support him too? When my parents kicked me out, I had a hard time dealing with everything. However, that all changed when I met my new boyfriend. I know I didn't mention him but he's a really great guy but the thing about him is that he doesn't want kids... which means he doesn't want Minwoo. Therefore he gave me an ultimatum. My son or him and as you can guess, I chose him. Please don't tell Minwoo, I don't want him to think that I abandoned him. I still love him dearly. I had no choice, Aejin. This was the only way I could be sure that we'd both lead a good life. Me with Wooyoung and Minwoo with you. I know that you're going to take care of him well and you won't turn him out of your house under any circumstance because that's just who you are and I am truly thankful for you. In this folder you'll find everything you need to know about him. Minwoo is a good boy, he's stubborn but what little boy isn't? He has to be in bed by eight and he can't go to sleep unless you tell him a bedtime story. Anything with a dragon he loves. He's also allergic to cinnamon so make sure you always check his food. And make sure you tell him you love him every night. Gosh, I'm trying my best not to cry but I just can't control myself. It's harder than you think for me to do this. You have no idea, I don't think anyone does. But I promise that when I get things stabilized and settled with Wooyoung, I'll persuade him to accept Minwoo as well. However, that will take time and I do hope you can watch over him while I'm gone. I'm begging you, Aejin. Next to me, I think you're the only other person with the capability of dealing with him. My parents couldn't stand him running around and although I hate to admit it, he was part of the reason we were kicked out. I suppose after all these years, they finally met their limit. Now, I am coming to an end because everything I wanted to say I have already written down. What you decide to do now is up to you. Park Aejin, I trust that you'll do the right thing and whatever you do, don't tell Minwoo any of this. Lie to him if you have to. Because I can't stand it to see him hurt. Think of this not as a goodbye but more of a see you later. 

Your friend, Choi Hyomin. 

Aejin sighed. Her hands started gripping harder onto the letter, wanting to crumple it and shred it to pieces. However, she realized that doing so would get her nowhere. This wasn’t going to change and she had to accept it. Her arms relaxed as her mind began to ease up. She returned the letter back to the folder and stored the file with the rest of her school work. 

As she peeked over to the sleeping Minwoo, she heard him muttering “Omma,” nonstop and she shook her head. She quietly tip-toed over to his side and tilted her head to the right. “He’s not so bad when he’s sleeping.” She noted. But when he was awake, Aejin was aware that it was a different story.

“How can she think that I can deal with a kid? I don’t know anything about them,” Aejin commented, brows bunched together.

She figured that when Minwoo was up he’d be hungry. It was common sense. Plus he did use up a lot of energy when he was throwing a tantrum. She didn’t know what to make him therefore she pulled out a box of macaroni and cheese and started preparing that for lunch.

Stirring the pasta in with the cheese, Aejin started thinking of ways to get herself out of this. But there wasn’t much she could do. Because technically speaking, Minwoo was her responsibility now and she wasn’t sure if she was ready for him or not. “What did I get myself into?” She grumbled.

She turned the stove off and placed the wooden spoon down as she lifted up her cup of vanilla chai tea which often helped soothe away her stress. Before she took a sip, she inhaled the smell and let out a small smile. Vanilla was always her favorite.

As she brought the liquid to her lips, Aejin heard sniffling and then scuffling. Oh no, Aejin thought. She opened her eyes and found herself looking right down at Minwoo. He was half asleep but when he looked at her, he started crying again.

“You’re not my omma!” he cried as if Aejin had claimed she was.

She placed the cup down and waved her hands, frantically. “Don’t cry, little boy.” She panicked, not knowing what else to say.  

Minwoo stopped for a second but then resumed. “My name is not little boy!” He snapped, screaming even louder than he had done before.

“Ah,” Aejin then covered her ears while trying to recall his name. It was like his little nap restored all of hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter