Just a Glimpse.

Breaking Tradition: The Impure Woman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♪ my my

As Aejin finished reading another tedious chapter for one of her classes, she stifled a yawn before closing the heavy book with a loud thud. She then groaned softly seeing the pile of incomplete work still sitting on the table beside her. The weather today was nice which only made the woman feel sour. While other people were probably out enjoying the beautiful day, she was stuck inside, torturing herself with schoolwork.

It was only ten in the morning and she had spent a good three hours on assignments, which were soon due. The house was quiet (since she was the only one there) and being alone was rather discomforting for her because she was unaccustomed to it now. She was used to having someone by her side and she liked the feeling of no longer being by herself. Minwoo was already at school and as for Suho? She had no idea where he ran off to. She assumed he was most likely taking care of matters at the café and when he was supposed to return remained a mystery to her.

Aejin had no classes for the day, thank heavens, but she did have work later. “I’m so tired and bored,” she murmured. Next, she got up and did some stretching. As she was doing so, she heard something ringing. It was a phone. “Where’s that coming from?” She searched around and her eyes landed on the coffee table in the living room. Getting closer, she could hear the ringing grow louder.

Slowly and carefully, she picked up the small white box resting in the middle of the table and held it to her ear. The noise had stopped and for a second, she wondered if all of that had just been an imagination of hers. She was about to place the box back where she had found it when it went off again. Figuring there was no harm, she removed the lid and her eyes shone at the new white Samsung Galaxy 4 currently in her possession. “Did Joonmyun buy a new phone?”

But when she saw that the caller was under: Joonmyun, her eyes widened. “No way,” she gasped. Hesitantly, she lifted the phone like it was something as fragile as glass and answered. “Yeo-yeobsayo?” She stammered shyly, holding the device to her ear.

“I was wondering when you’d pick up,” his familiar and gentle voice chuckled over the line.

“Joo-Joonmyun?” Aejin scratched her head as she sat down on the couch. “Did you buy a new phone for yourself?”

“No,” he answered. “I bought it for you.”

“You what?” She gasped in shock as she pulled the phone away and gawked at it. “Do you realize how expensive something like this is? You shouldn’t have wasted your money on it; I don’t need it.” She chided apprehensively.

“Of course I did.” Suho defended. “Do you know how worried I am every time we’re apart?” It was silent. It amazed Aejin every time Suho made her speechless. “I just wanted to make sure there would always be a way for me to communicate with you in case anything happens again, you know?”

“Joonmyun,” she sighed, touched. “It was really sweet of you to think like that but I can’t accept something like this.”

“Well, if you don’t, I’m just going to smash it and toss it into the trash.” He threatened.

“What?!” Aejin exclaimed. “You can’t! That would be an even bigger waste! Why would you do that when you could just simply return it?”

“It’s either you take or it ends up in the dumpster. Take your pick, Aejin.” Suho grinned on the other end, knowing very well that he had caught her now.

“Since when did you start making deals like a mobster?” She muttered cutely yet begrudgingly.  

“Since I didn’t want anyone hurting you anymore.” He replied. “But are you doing anything right now?”

Aejin glanced at her work and let out a whine. “I wish I wasn’t. I’ve been doing schoolwork for hours and it’s so nice outside. Why must there be so much work?”

“So you’re saying that you want to take a break?” Suho questioned.

“A break would be blissful.” Aejin chirped, clueless at what the man was trying to get at.

“Then get ready, I’ll pick you up in ten minutes.” He ordered.

“What? Why would you pick me up?” She wondered.

“To take you out for a break, silly. Just make sure you don’t wear a skirt or a dress. I’ll see you in a bit.” He detailed and before she could prod him for more information, Suho had ended the call. The abrupt action forced Aejin to frown while her eyebrows bunched up in the middle.

“Don’t wear a skirt or a dress?” She repeated, walking to her room. Aejin then placed her new phone on the nightstand and rummaged through the closet. Soon, she discovered a pair of dark-colored skinny jeans she liked and decided to wear it with a baseball shirt. The sleeves, which reached her elbows, were blue, Aejin’s favorite color. Once she had changed, she checked her reflection in the mirror.

She thought she looked fine but then her eyes rounded in realization. Could this—could this possibly be considered as a date? Suddenly, Aejin became nervous as she spotted flaws everywhere. Her shirt was slightly wrinkled. Her skin looked a bit oily. And oh dear, don’t even get her started on her hair! It was tied up into a lame and boring ponytail! This was not how women were supposed to look like when they went out with the guy they liked!

Quickly, Aejin ran to the bathroom and rinsed her face off. She was blotting off the water when she heard a honk. “He got here so fast!” She shrieked, dashing over to the window. When she saw his car outside, she went back in her room, swiped up her phone and made her way towards the door. The phone was ringing as she slipped into a pair of white Vans. “I’m coming out right now.” She said breathlessly before hanging up.

Assessing her appearance once more, Aejin droned as she opened the door and exited the house. Her skin looked a little better but for her hair and shirt, there was definitely still room for improvement. And all she could do now was pray that they weren’t going to go anywhere fancy where she’d be labeled as underdressed. “Sorry, did I rush you?” Suho questioned once she entered the vehicle.

“Uh no, not really.” Aejin said as she put her seatbelt on. “So where are we going?”

“You’ll see,” he smiled, pulling away fr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter