Just Like Dramas.

Breaking Tradition: The Impure Woman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♪ love oh love

As Aejin leaned her head against the window pane, waiting for the bus to depart, she closed her eyes before a tear could escape. There were people bidding their goodbyes outside and she had to admit, it was a heart-wrenching sight because she too wished she had people there to watch her leave. People there to hug and kiss her while telling her to ‘be safe’ and ‘to take care of herself.’ She wanted to be showered repeatedly with ‘we love you’ and ‘we’ll miss you,’ but that wasn’t going to happen because the only people who ever loved her, no longer loved her.

They no longer wanted to hug, kiss or even look at her. They wanted nothing to do with her. They didn’t care about her safety or her well-being nor would they even miss her because if they did, they wouldn’t have kicked her out. They would’ve been there for her right now assuring her that everything was going to be okay and that they were going to get through this adversity together as a family. And she had to learn the hard way that not everything in life was fair.

The day Aejin was supposed to spend with her family turned out to be a stay for two at one of the local motels in town. Mrs. Park had provided her with 500,000 won in which she used almost 100,000 for food and the housing cost. She was left with 400,000 won and although Aejin was not a math major, she figured that amount of money would not last them very long.

But she chose not to stress about it at the moment. All she wanted to do was get away from Chonju. Get away from those people who abandoned her. She exhaled when she felt a tug on her sleeve. She glanced over and saw Minwoo looking at her. “Noona, are you okay?” however, Aejin didn’t answer him as she gave her attention back to the view of the bus station. Minwoo sighed and started playing with his hands.

More people filed into the transportation vehicle conversing about their trip and Aejin was thankful she didn’t know any of them or else there would be more misunderstandings going around.

Once the bus started moving, Minwoo was fast asleep just like the trip there and when his head landed on her arm, Aejin looked at him with a soft bittersweet smile gracing her lips. “You and I aren’t so different after all.” She whispered retrieving an extra sweater she had brought with her. “We’ll get through this—together.” Then she covered his body and wrapped an arm securely around him, holding him close before she too wandered off to slumber land.

Kangjun, who was coincidentally seated in front of them, quickly swiveled his head around to find them asleep. He had heard what she said but since it was out of context, and rather vague, he didn’t know what she was referring to. They were located all the way in the back so there weren’t many people staring at him and his strange demeanor. He noticed Aejin’s pale face and chapped lips. The color in her skin seemed to have faded and the frown she was slightly sporting told him something wasn’t right with her. Her eyes were also a little swollen and puffy signifying she had been crying a lot.

Just the other day she had rosy cheeks and smooth, plumped lips. She was up and energized doing work but now, now it was different. Aejin looked tired and washed out compared to the photo he had stealthily taken on the trip there. Did something bad happen to them? Suddenly, she shifted and Kangjun snapped back forwards, afraid that he had been caught.

When it was quiet, he peeked over and discovered them still resting. “I hope whatever it is you’ll get through it, Aejin-sshi.” He muttered.

[♦] [♦] [♦]

“Passengers, we have reached our destination. Please exit the bus in an orderly fashion.” The driver politely requested through the intercom. At the announcement of their arrival, Aejin began to stir awake. She rubbed her eyes with the back of her hand and yawned. Next, she looked out the window to see that they indeed had arrived back in Seoul.

At least I’m not near them anymore. “Minwoo-ah,” she cooed gently, hoping to wake up the resting child with one try however he remained asleep. She dropped her shoulders before getting out of her seat first. She reached for their belongings stored in the cupboards above them but because she wasn’t tall enough to safely extract it, she struggled and caused the bag to fall on her. “Ouch,” Aejin winced. “Can this day get any worse?”

Bending down to gather the scattered items, another pair of hands joined her. She glanced up and met eyes with Kangjun who sent her a small smile. Once they got everything, he handed it to her and she bowed to exhibit her gratitude. “Kamsahamnida.”

“It was no problem. My mother always taught me to be a gentleman.” He chuckled.

At the mention of mothers, Aejin’s heart cracked. She stared at the floor, immobilized. “My mother always taught me to lend a helping hand to those in need,” she whispered. “Too bad she’s a hyp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter