Promises.

Breaking Tradition: The Impure Woman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♪ illa illa

“What do you guys want?” Suho questioned as he looked at his parents from across the table. They had called him earlier in the day, begging him to come meet up with them. Although he was still upset with how they treated Aejin, that didn’t change the fact that they were still his parents, whom he loved dearly.

“Honey,” Mrs. Kim bit her tongue and sniffled. She never liked fighting with her little Suho, not that they ever fought before. In fact, this was the first time something like this has ever happened between them. Suho was her only son and the youngest child in the family, so of course she had a softer spot for him than for his older sister. He was her baby boy. She just wanted what was best for him.

“How is she?” Mr. Kim cut in as he placed his hand over his wife’s.

“She’s fine now.” The young man answered, his tone calm and flat.

“I didn’t mean to hurt her, Joonmyun.” His mother stated, staring at him with earnest eyes. “I was just frustrated and shocked. I mean we just want you to be happy, you know? We want you to find yourself a good woman and have a little family of your own. We don’t want you to have to suffer taking care of someone else’s—” A loud bang caused the woman to halt midsentence.

“Omoni, you still don’t get it, do you?” Suho pulled his fist off the table and shook his head at his mother. “I am happy. I’ve already found myself a good woman who not only gives me a family of my own but is part of my family. Why can’t you understand that things are different now? Why can’t you understand that I love her? Isn’t it obvious to you that I’ve fallen heads over heels for this woman?”

“B-but Joonmyun, she’s not—” Again, the woman was interrupted.

“Not what? What’s wrong with her? Nothing. Park Aejin is an amazing woman. So what if she has a child? Does that make her a criminal? We all make mistakes; we all have our faults. No one is perfect and I’m sick and tired of pretending I am just because you want me to be. Abeoji, omoni, I love you both. I really do, you are my parents and no matter what you do, I will never stop loving you. But know that if you ever force me to choose between you guys and Aejin, I will always choose her. Because even though you treated her horribly, I know she would never ask me to choose between her and my parents. She’s all I have ever wanted. She’s sweet, caring, understanding, independent, clumsy. She’s everything I’ve ever dreamed for in a woman but most importantly she’s the woman I love with my entire heart.” Suho found himself tearing up as he inhaled a deep breath.

“I love Park Aejin, I really do. And I know that if you guys took the time to get to know her more, you would come to love her as well. Heck, you would even come to love Minwoo as though he was your own biological grandson.” Next, Suho leaned over and held Mrs. Kim’s right hand (the one free from her spouse’s hold). “Omma, please. I’m begging you. For once in your life, can’t you open your mind to all of the wondrous possibilities that could be waiting out there? Can’t you open your heart and accept the woman I love for who she is?”

[♦] [♦] [♦]

“Tag!” Minwoo screamed giddily as he tapped Aejin’s thigh and scattered to get himself as far away as he could from her.

“I’m going to get you guys!” She hollered, chasing after the children at a sluggish pace.

“Hehe unnie is too slow like a tortle!” A little girl, around the age of nine or so, giggled as she stuck her tongue out playfully.

“It’s either turtle or tortoise, Ujin. Not tortle. That’s not a word, nor is it an animal.” Another girl, a little older, huffed as she flipped onto the next page of the book she was currently immersing herself in.

Ujin pouted and blew a raspberry at her. “Hayeong unnie is no fun! I like Aejin unnie much more!” She stated, slightly angered, before running away.

“Like I care about being fun or who you like more. It’s not like she’s going to be coming here every day.” Hayeong grumbled, peeved. She tried to return to her novel but couldn’t. She slammed the book down onto her lap and folded her arms over her chest. “I’m your real sister,” she muttered, “you should like me more than anyone.” 

Aejin looked at the girl planted on the floor, in the far left corner of the room. Her legs were stretched out in front of her while the corner of her lips were curled downwards, producing an unpleasant frown. She had heard every single word exchanged between the two girls (along with Hayeong’s comment to herself) and for some reason, she couldn’t help but feel guilty. There was this haunting sensation ghosting around her and she stepped into the room, revealing her presence to the girl. “I’m sure Ujin didn’t mean it. Like you said, you’re her real sister so of course she likes you more than she likes anyone else.”

For a second, Hayeong was definitely surprised to find Aejin there. It was evident in her face but in the blink of an eye, her face became expressionless as she ignored Aejin and picked up her book. She tried to read again but from the way her eyes stayed glued to the same exact place, Aejin could tell she was only pretending. Hayeong expected the stranger to leave since she made it pretty obvious that she didn’t want to talk to her but instead, Aejin surprised her yet again by walking over and plopping down besides her.

“What are you reading there?” She questioned, attempting to make light conversation. However, Hayeong stood her ground and acted as though she hadn’t heard anything. But Aejin was not discouraged as she leaned forward and read the title. “Wuthering Heights wow.” She couldn’t hide her shock. “It’s a very good book. How do you like it so far?”

“What are you even doing here?” Hayeong finally spoke up as she closed the book and turned to lock eyes with Aejin.

“Me? Well, I’m just trying to find out the book you seem so interested in.” She replied, shrugging her shoulders.

“No, that’s not what I meant.” The young girl shook her head and broke the eye-contact, redirecting her gaze straight forward. “I mean what are you doing here, in this kind of place?”

“And what kind of place would this be?” Aejin inquired as she looked at the same wall Hayeong was focusing her attention on.

“You know what I mean. Why did you even come in? You should have just rejected the offer and left. You don’t belong here; we don’t need your pity.” The girl muttered. Of course Aejin was left speechless as she blinked three consecutive times. Man did Hayeong sound familiar. Was it déjà vu?

“And who told you that?” She managed to spit out. “Who told you I pitied any of you?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter