The New Life.

Breaking Tradition: The Impure Woman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♪ into the new world

As the weeks passed by, Aejin gradually learned how adjust to her new job. It wasn’t easy at first but with the encouraging support provided by her coworkers, she didn’t give up. Also with Minwoo smiling brighter every time she managed to purchase him a small gift with the money left over after bills were paid, she knew she couldn’t give up. Because at last, that little boy was genuinely happy with his life just as she was.

Cleaning wasn’t hard for Aejin since she was a neat freak and the fact that was all her mother had taught her growing up was extremely beneficial. However, what made it so difficult for her at the beginning was deciding when the appropriate time for her to take action was.  

On the first day, Aejin didn’t know she had to wait until the customers finished dining, paid the check and then left before she could start. She was unprepared and she wouldn’t deny it one bit. She was as one may say, caught off guard. Knocked off her feet. When Chanjo prodded her to work right away without any sort of preparation, she charged horns first to a couple who was only half way through with their meal.

Something like waiting for the customers to finish dining before cleaning would be considered common sense to anyone. But she was so overwhelmed and joyous about being able to work, she wasn’t thinking rationally.

Luckily, the couple sitting at the table she attacked wasn’t fussy. Chanjo had rushed over and apologized on her behalf, introducing Aejin as the newest and clearly inexperienced member of the team and surprisingly they were understanding. They were a middle-aged pair who ended up laughing the entire thing off.

After that, they even wished her the best of luck since it looked like she was going to need it. It was quite embarrassing for Aejin but that was life. Instead of hiding in a corner all red-faced, she chose to laugh along with them at her own foolish mistake and from then on, she didn’t rush to clean a table ever again of course unless it was empty.

Although Aejin was getting accustomed to earning money now and being the bread provider, she could barely find the time to work. Because when she wasn’t working she had classes and lectures to attend. And when she wasn’t in class and broadening her education, she was watching over Minwoo. There were just so many things going on in her life, it was strenuous and not to mention stressful for her to keep up to date with it all.

So along the way, she had to make sacrifices. What kind of sacrifices you ask? The kind which involved much of her future. You see, out of the three priorities she had, two were probably the most important at the moment. They were Minwoo and her part-time job. Yes, Aejin treasured her education dearly but she couldn’t leave a child alone and she couldn’t quit her job, seeing it was the only one she had managed to snag after days of scavenging for one.  

They needed the money and if Aejin had to cut back learning some things, so be it. As long as there was a roof over their heads, clothes coiled around their bodies and food digesting in their stomachs, it was worth it to her.

Time flew by and she started working more hours and later shifts to make her schedule work. The two of them had also moved into their new home a few days after she had been employed and her heart swelled when Minwoo praised the place like it was Disney World. He ran around like a wild hyperactive goose and she was aware he was doing it just so she wouldn’t feel degraded. He was really starting to grow on her.

Day by day the two of them became more acquainted with one another to the point that Minwoo willingly started to address Aejin as noona every chance he got without her having to bribe him. There was just this unexplainable bond they had developed because to them, they were the only people in the entire world who carried the capability of comprehending the other thoroughly. They shared the same problems but because they were together, it made things less painful for them and they were grateful beyond words.

However, because Aejin working was a must, it meant some time of separation for them. Minwoo was not pleased with the idea of being stuck with the woman who lived below them and he rebelled without a doubt. He made it a rough sailing but after much persuasion and negotiation, his guardian was able to convince him to stay with Mrs. Kam while she worked.

Now back to the sacrifice she had to make. Due to all the major shifts and sudden changes in such a brief time span, Aejin ultimately neglected school more than she had expected. Her grades were slipping faster than a clown strolling through a room with banana peels sprawled out everywhere. She missed many classes, failed several exams and this was not looking good for her. Even though she wasn’t receiving any education, she was still being billed, making her expenses skyrocket.

But Aejin was always optimistic or at least she tried to be, thinking that everything would work out in the end. I guess we’ll all have to wait and see then.

◄ Present Day ►

“Aejin-ah, we need a table!” Chanjo hollered from his post at the entrance of the shop.

“I’m working on it!” she replied, wiping down the dirty eating place as quickly and efficiently as she could. She then paused and blotted her forehead with the sleeve of her uniform. It was so hot in the eatery thanks to all the grills and heat. Oh and the packed customers during this hour were not helping. Why couldn’t people just bring their lunches to work and eat at their cubicles? It would save them money and time. Besides, it was well past noon. Why were they out so late?

Aejin also running amuck was another factor causing her body temperature to rise. Not only was she the bus-girl, she had been recently promoted to a part-time waitress, that is if they needed extra help and today, they did. Once she finished, she signaled Chanjo that it was set and wheeled away the food-stained utensils. “Coming through,” she announced to her fellow workers as she entered the kitchen.

Back there it was probably even more scorching than out on the floor. The chefs were chaotic, trying to prepare everything as Aejin dodged through them, heading towards the dishwasher. She arrived safely and started piling the plates, knives, forks, spoons, cups and chopsticks in.

She hit the start button and dusted her hand. “Aejin-ah, can you take out the trash?” one of the chefs requested, as he searched for ingredients he needed.

“Neh!” she obliged. As she lifted up the dumpster lid, she held her breath and chucked the garbage over. After the horrid odor was concealed, she exhaled with much relief. The cold air of winter felt nice against her skin as she closed her eyes and savored the nice breeze.

“Aejin! We need you; get back in here and start taking orders!” Byunghyun, a waiter, ordered. Aejin snapped out of her daze as she ran after him. She pulled out her notepad and the pen tucked securely on her ear. She bit the cap off professionally, heading over to the table ready to order.

She was jotting everything spewing from their lips when her watch suddenly beeped. She gasped in horror because it was the alarm notifying her Minwoo was getting out of school. Her eyes went wide; she must’ve missed the ten minute warning alarm she had also set prior to this one. Not wanting to be rude, she continued taking their order and once they were done, she bolted to the kitchen and gave the note to the chef.

She threw off her apron and was about to skedaddle out of there when Chanjo blocked her exit. “Where are you going?” he frowned.

Aejin impatiently checked her watch, five minutes had already diminis

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter