Water Is For Ducks

BOY vs GIRL

 

 

He didn’t know what to expect from his first day out with Yu Jin and Sue Ji but this wasn’t it.

They’d already taken him to the food market, then the zoo and now they were taking a walk through the botanic gardens. It was definitely different from his usual outings with Ji Nah to fashion outlets or salons.

“Unni do you mind if I go!? Can I!?” Sue Ji asked Yu Jin, tugging her sleeve and pointing across to the river with excitement.

Wooyoung looked across to where she was pointing to see a flock of ducks waddling along by the riverbank.

Yu Jin smiled encouragingly “Of course you can”

Walking off the path Yu Jin & Wooyoung both took a seat on the grass next to the path to wait, while Sue Ji went over and said hello to the ducks. Literally waving at the riverbank and into the water, saying hello to them like they were old friends.

“Changmin Hello!”
“Tiffany and Siwon you too!”
“Oh Zico is that you? You’re much fatter than when I last saw you!”

Wooyoung couldn’t help but find it funny “She’s named the ducks after idols?”

Yu Jin giggled “Sue Jis a big fan of K-Pop and we come here quite often so she’s given them all names"

He continued watching and chuckled when he saw her trying to sneak up on the Changmin duck so she could hold it.

“She’s cute but she’s so…” he struggled to find a word.

“Innocent?” Yu Jin suggested.

“Yeah”

Yu Jin chuckled “Her family sheltered her a lot growing up so she doesn’t have much life experience but she’s learning. Don’t be fooled though, she’s alot wiser than she acts and she’s a great friend”

Wooyoung hid a smile. He could tell Yu Jin really cared about Sue Ji. It was nice.

She nodded at him “Why don’t you go over too? it looks like fun. I’ll wait here for you”

He looked at her questioningly “You don’t want to go?”

Yu Jin looked longingly over at the riverbank but shook her head “I’d love to Unni but I’m scared of water”

“You are?” he asked. Yu Jin didn’t strike him as the type to have a phobia like that.

“Mm hm” she said with a faraway look on her face “I used to love swimming when I was small but when I was 10 I went to a lake with my parents and I slipped off the dock there and nearly drowned. My Appa managed to get to me just in time but ever since then I’ve had a fear of water”

Wooyoung nodded with interest “Close call. You’re parents must be glad you’re still around”

Yu Jin reached up to grab what looked like a locket around her neck and Wooyoung saw a hint of sadness appear on her face.

He frowned in confusion. Did I say something wrong?

She said nothing but gave him a small smile and then leaned her head on his shoulder.

He blinked down at her head in surprise but let her stay there, his instinct telling him she was seeking his comfort for something.

He studied her for a moment before reaching up to pat her head.

Don’t be sad Kim Yu Jin...

 


 

Sue Ji excitedly read her text and then put her phone away to find one of the ducks furiously picking on the other.

Gasping loudly, she waved her finger at him and put on the best stern face she could muster.

“Siwon no! play nice, don’t peck Tiffany!”
“Siwon! Please share there’s enough Pepero for both of you!”

Sue Ji puffed out her cheeks with disappointment when he ignored her and looked over at her friends to call Seo Woo over for support but changed her mind when she saw Yu Jin lay her head on Seo Woos shoulder.

She quirked her head with curiosity when she saw how Seo Woo was looking at her. Is that how I look when I look at Yu Jin Unni? she thought.

Pointing over at them, she looked back down at the ducks “See Siwon! If I can share my precious Yu Jin Unni with Seo Woo Unni then you should share too!”

They flew back into the water with the rest of the ducks.

Sue Ji pouted for a little bit that they’d left her but then remembering the text she’d received, she became happy again.

She put her hands up to and called after them “Okay i’ve got to go now too but i’ll bring you guys some more Pepero later! Except for you Zico you're going on a diet!”

Unable to reign in her excitement, she clapped her hands happily and made her way back to Yu Jin and Seo Woo.