Robots Don't Cry

BOY vs GIRL

 

 

Yu Jin played with the locket around her neck, trying not show how upset she was as the professor gathered up everyone’s tests but hers to mark. 

Hearing a buzzing sound coming from Ji Nahs direction she looked over and saw her glance down at her lap, her expression softening. Which was rare nowadays coming from Ji Nah. 

She watched her as she picked up her backpack and went up to the teacher to tell him she had to go to the bathroom, without receiving permission she stormed out the door and headed down the hallway.

A few seconds after this to Yu Jins surprise she saw Sue Ji run past the door headed in the same direction.

“Ji Nah... Sue Ji...” she murmured, sitting up in her chair in confusion "Where is everyone rushing off to?"
 


 

Ji Nah followed the path around and leaned against a pillar to the side of the school, making sure she was away from the entrance. Staring at the screen on her cell phone she waited for the call from her parents that she’d been anticipating. It’d been just over 3 months now since she’d spoken to them but now Secretary Burgess had finally text her telling her to expect a call.

 

I don’t wanna love, i don’t wa...


Almost instantly she put the phone up to her ear and answered “Hello Umoni? Ahbohji?”

“No madam it’s Secretary Burgess”

She felt her excitement disappear “Put me through to my Mother and Father” she said, warningly in English.

“I’m afraid they have important business to attend to and can’t speak to you so they’ve asked me to relay a message to you”

“I don’t care! Put me through! I’m their daughter so if they have a message for me I want to hear it from them” she cried shrilly.

After a pause he cleared his throat “Hold please” he said, before she heard a transfer tone. Becoming nervous again she waited.

"Yes. Director Im” a stern male voice answered.

"Ahbouji...it’s me Ji Nah” she said, clutching the handset closer to her ear.

She heard a growl of disapproval “How did you get through to me”

"I asked... Secretary Burgess to put me through” she told him carefully, changing the subject “he said you and Umoni had a message for me. Is Umoni there? Can I speak with her?"

“Im Ji Nah!” he barked loudly “You know very well you’re Mother and I are busy”

Being scolded, Ji Nah became flustered “I know Ahbouji it won’t happen again. I... I wanted to speak to you about my birthday” she told him quietly. Not hearing a response, she continued “What day are you and Umoni coming?”

She heard a sigh of impatience “Were not coming” he told her “If you had let Secretary Burgess do his job you would know this already”

“What!? You’re not coming” shocked and upset, Ji Nah started trembling “but Ahbouji you promised! Wh...”

“IM JI NAH!” he snapped, interrupting her “I don't have time for these games! We can’t come that’s the end of it. Wait for Secretary Burgess and he will give you the message as planned”

“Abou...” cut off by the transfer dial tone, Ji Nah waited as she was told to for Secretary Burgess to pick up.

“Hello Madam” he answered but continued without waiting for her to reply “You’re parents would like to apologise that they wont be able to come back to Korea for your birthday. They have instructed me to triple your usual allowance to make up for this. Your birthday gift has also already been purchased. It will be in the garage when you go home for the holidays and the key kept in the safe. Happy birthday Madam”

After he'd finished relaying the message Ji Nah lowered the phone.

"It's not my birthday yet..." she said in a quiet voice.

Feeling something fall down her cheek, she brushed it away numbly realising from the wetness on her fingers that she was crying.