Snap Out Of It!

BOY vs GIRL

 

 

Crossing the road, Yu Jin continued towards the convenience store down the far end of the street. Taking her time to pause now and again to window shop at some of the shops she was passing. Inspecting a store window she put her face down to the glass to get a better look at a display when she felt something graze her back, pushing her forward so her forehead bumped the glass.

Turning, she rubbed her brow “Ow” squinting in pain, she glanced up and saw a guy who’d obviously brushed into her while walking past. Taking her hand off her forehead she waited for to turn but he kept on walking.

“What not going to say sorry?” she said to herself, staring after him in disbelief. After a moment of studying him, she quirked her head with interest.

He was quite a tall guy probably 6 foot and looked to be her age or a little older, he didn’t go to her school so he either went to public school or he wasn’t from the area. He was dressed nicely, his hair was dyed blonde and styled well and from what she saw when he was in front of her he was handsome too in a cute way but that wasn’t why she was studying him. Is there something wrong with him?

Walking slowly as if in some sort of trance, his head was up and facing forward like he were focusing ahead but oncoming people in his path kept having to separate or veer around him at the last minute like he couldn’t see them.
Yu Jin jerked her hands up out of reflex as a young teenager ran past him bumping his arm quite hard causing him to stumble sideways to the other side of the path. Amazingly, as if nothing had happened he just kept walking under the same trance.

Concerned, Yu Jin rushed over until she was walking beside him “Um excuse me” she said, looking up at him. No response...

Positioning herself so she was walking backwards to see him better, she maneuvered her bag so she could still drag it along.

“Excuse me!” she said, raising her voice a little. He suddenly stopped.

“Oh!” she exclaimed hopefully, rushing forward to stand in front of him. “Are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?” Nothing...

Stepping close she let go of her bag and gingerly waved her hands in front of his face. Still nothing

At a loss, she reached forward with both hands and grasped his arms, gently shaking him. Again receiving no reaction, she shook him with more force, his body rocking back and forth.

Please snap out of it!

“Broke up with me” he unexpectedly blurted out. Yu Jin in a surprised breath but he’d hung his head and was swaying slightly so worried he might fall she kept a hold of him.

Raising his head, his eyes connected with hers before he stepped away “Who are you?” he asked.

Examining him fleetingly to gauge he was okay, she put her confusion aside and greeted him “Oh... Sorry” she said smiling “I’m Yu Jin...Kim Yu Jin”

Looking at her suspiciously “So?” he asked.

Perplexed at his question Yu Jin repeated it “Soooo?”

Adjusting the collar on his jacket he sighed impatiently “What do you want?”

A little puzzled at his hostility she shook her head “Nothing, there just seemed to be something wrong that’s all”

He looked away and scoffed “Something wrong?” he said, turning back he stepped close, staring her down “Why would there be anything wrong when girls like you exist? Beautiful girls who don’t have a reason for breaking the hearts of their faithful and loving boyfriends!” he said angrily, raising his voice.

Eyes wide, Yu Jin thought of what to say or do about the nonsense he was talking. Breaking hearts? Boyfriends? Wait a minute...broke up with me. When he came out of his daze she remembered that’s what he’d blurted. His heart’s broken...

Realizing this she softened, feeling an instant affinity for him, which gave her an idea. Breaking eye contact she turned and crouched to her bag. Finding the elf she cradled it in her hands so he could see what it was and stood, holding it up to him “Here...for you” she told him.

Frowning, he glanced down at it “What’s that?”

“A Halmoni gave it to me to bring me happiness but i’d like you to have it. Take it...it really works” she encouraged, holding her hands higher for him to grab it.

Glancing down at it and then back up again he scoffed “Move” he ordered, bowling past her, making her drop the elf on the sidewalk.

Mouth opening wide in shock she scooped the elf up “Omo so rude!” she called out to him as he stormed off.

Examining the elf she turned it around checking for any damage, seeing there was none she sighed in relief “You're okay now” she said to it. Looking back in the direction he was fast disappearing down, she pouted “Even if his heart’s broken I was only trying to help... that bad guy... who wants to help you anyway”


When he felt he was a safe distance from the busy side of the shopping area, Wooyoung quickly ducked into a small alley he’d spotted between stores. Leaning back against the wall he slid down until he was sitting on the concrete. It dawned on him that he’d just taken his frustration out on a complete stranger but right now he didn't really care. It would’ve been better if he’d stayed in zombie mode because as soon as he was out of it, reality had hit...and it’d hit hard. Closing his eyes he felt like he wanted to cry but no tears would come. After a while he heard footsteps approaching in the alleyway so keeping his eyes tightly shut he waited for them to pass. Once he was sure they’d gone he sighed, opening his eyes. Eyebrows raising to find that propped up against the wall facing him, was the small elf toy that the girl he’d just met had tried to give him.