Happy Elf

BOY vs GIRL

 

 

 

AUGUST 7TH 2012 - 2 days until school starts

 

Yu Jin stepped off the train, one hand holding her wheeled pull bag she thread the other through the plastic bag handle so it rested on her arm. Turning back she reached out with her now free hand “You okay Halmoni?” she asked, gently steadying the old lady by her shoulder as she came off the train.

The old lady smiled and nodded “Yes Agasshi”

“Do you want me to carry this for you?” she asked, holding the plastic bag up.

Reaching across the old lady took her bag back, shaking her head “No it’s fine, my son will be along anytime now to pick me up”

“Okay but if he’s late then no dukbokki for him, promise?” she said firmly, pointing at the plastic bag then holding her finger up to pinky swear.

“I promise” she replied laughing, wrapping her finger around Yu Jins “Oh and wait a moment I have something for you” letting go of Yu Jin she opened the plastic bag to rummage through it.

Surprised, Yu Jins eyes widened “No Halmoni you don’t have to” she said, waving her hands in front of her.

Pulling something small out of the bag, the old lady grabbed Yu Jins hand and placed it in her palm, closing her fingers over it so she couldn’t see it “This is for you” she told her.   

“Really it’s okay Ha…” Yu Jin started to say but the old lady cut her off “I bought this because when I saw it, it made me happy but because you made me happy today I want you to have it” She told her, looking up at her while still holding her hand closed “It will bring you alot of joy”

Thinking for a moment, Yu Jin smiled at the sweetness of her gesture “Okay thank you Halmoni” she said, affectionately patting the old ladys hand.

Saying their goodbyes the old lady walked off to the exit, talking to herself as she went “Such a beautiful Agasshi...” Staring after her for a moment, Yu Jin chuckled “So cute”

Remembering her gift she opened her palm to inspect it, surprised to see a big cheeked wind up plastic elf, smiling widely at her.

Crouching down, she wound it up and placed it on the ground in front of her. Watching as it repeated alternating between furiously shaking its hips and arms side to side and turning around to wiggle its bottom. Mouth open, she stared until it came to a stop and then after a long moment she burst out laughing nearly falling over.

Looking up she saw people passing looking at her strangely so she closed tightly, stifling her laughs. Scooping up the elf she stood and held it up  “Thank you for making me happy today, you must do the same in the future... okay?” she told it, giving it a quick kiss she placed it in the front pocket of her luggage, grabbing the bag handle ready to make her way outside.


Again and again and again and again, I keep going back to you, I don’t know why, I don’t…  

 

Pausing, she pulled out her cell phone from her bag “Hello?”

“Hello Unni! Have you arrived yet?”

Smiling at the sound of Sue Jis voice, she nodded “Just arrived, gonna go to school and unpack, where are you?”

Yu Jin heard a rustling sound “I’m…” she said normally before her voice dropped down to a whisper “I’m at home”

“Is something wrong?” she asked, a little concerned

Quickly answering “Oh no Unni, don’t worry i’m just in my dongsaengs room finding Tim Tams” Hearing this Yu Jin bit back a laugh.

Sue Ji and her brother got on well most days but they were complete opposites so she always seemed to get on his nerves. Judging from Yu Jins past visits to their house, the things he disliked most were number one, when Sue Ji went into his room and number two, when Sue Ji went into his room and ate his imported New Zealand cookies.

"Well good luck!” she encouraged “I’ll see you when you come to the dorms tomorrow” grabbing her bag she started towards the stations exit.

“Okay Unni! Can’t wait to see you” she replied, hanging up.

Walking through the sliding door exit, she placed her phone back into her pocket, wheeling her bag past the bustle of train travellers to the much quieter intersection of sidewalk next to the street. Turning left she started walking her usual route from the station to school...

GRRRRRR

Slowing to a stop she looked down at her tummy. Hmm should I go to the store?
Glancing at her bag, she shook the thought away and continued walking. She’d better get unpacked first and then she could eat at the dorm.

GRRRRRRRR!

Slowing to a stop again she looked down at her tummy and frowned “Oh Okay okay!” she told it, giving in.

Turning around she walked the other way toward the direction of the store.