Late For Dinner

BOY vs GIRL

 

 

“What on earth is this?”

Gahee placed the last of the side dishes on the table, sitting down opposite her father she folded her legs on the floor cushion and pointed them out “Alfalfa sprouts, pickled onions and spinach” she encouraged, pushing the plate with the sprouts next to his bowl. Suspiciously, he picked some up with his chopsticks to examine them.

Holding them to his nose he sniffed and then looked up “This goes with my fish stew?”

Aha! Progress!

Nodding, she watched as he re-sniffed the sprouts and then placing his chopsticks on the table, folded his arms “Go get the bean sprouts and kimchi” he ordered sternly.

Oh come on!

”Appa!” she called out in protest. Her father said nothing but made a shooing motion with his hand, confirming his final decision. Exhaling in defeat she rose from where she was sitting “Okay okay I’ll go get them” she said, walking past him to the kitchen. So much for progress.

Opening the fridge she sifted through it “Never wants to change it up once and awhile” she muttered.

He'd always been like that, traditional and not willing to embrace anything new. She didn’t mind mostly but why couldn’t they change iu every now and again. He was a great Dad but remembering when her Mom was still around, things were different. Their Mom had always made their home more lively by introducing new and different things and their Dad was always willing to accept them because of his love for her. Unfortunately this meant when she left so did his tolerance for change, something Gahee had been trying to lure back ever since.

Spotting the kimchi and bean sprouts she grabbed them out and started dishing them onto plates. Hearing the distinctive sound of their front door opening, she paused.

“You’re late for dinner again”

“Yeah…Sorry Abouhji”

“You were supposed to help your sister cook”

“Nichkhuns back so we hung out”

“You can hang out with him at school… well at least you weren’t with that Ji Nah girl again”

“Abouhji I keep telling you she’s my girlfriend not that Ji Nah girl!”

“She’s not your girlfriend! If she was I would have met her by now!”

Gathering up the dishes she carried them to the living room where Wooyoung sat cross-legged down on the other side of the table next to their father, awkwardly looking at his lap while their father sat arms folded, determinedly stared at his stew.

Clearing , she injected some positivity into her voice “Oh Dongsaeng you're home”

Glancing up, Wooyoungs expression brightened “Hi Noona, sorry about dinner”

Walking over she sat down, placing the dishes on the table “It’s okay next time” she said, reaching over to reassuringly pat the top of one of his hands. Even though she knew next time would probably be the same.

“Lets eat” she said picking up her chopsticks.

Her Dad and brother glanced at each other and then picked up their chopsticks and started eating in silence. Gahee sighed inwardly, everyday their bickering increased but they used to be so close.

At early ages it was obvious that she took after their Mom, spontaneous and creative and Wooyoung after their Dad. Like their Dad who was a model citizen, he was a model son. Before Junho and Nichkhun he didn't have friends because of how quiet he was but he'd always been a nice boy. He was also unfailingly obedient and filial to his elders, their Dad especially. Academically he excelled too, most of his time spent indoors with his nose in his homework. She was always the one getting scolded as a child.

But not anymore...she thought, Observing Wooyoung plow through his food so he could leave the table. Probably something to do with Ji Nah. Ji Nah...now there was someone she wasn't sure of.  She was happy knowing he was happy but Wooyoung and Ji Nah had been dating now for 8 months and since then he had changed...big time.

On a good note, he was much more fashionable and outgoing. Still somewhat quiet but due to a new confidence he was able to talk to people freely without shyness getting in the way like it used to. He also had a busier social life with Ji Nah which got him out of the house. On a bad note, his social life meant he was hardly home now and even when he was it was obvious his mind was still elsewhere. His priorities had changed with Ji Nah often put first before everything... chores, family dinners, his studies. This was why both his grades and relationship with their Dad had been going downhill.

She’d tried talking to him but he always just laughed it off as untrue so she’d opted to just try be understanding and supportive... like she thought her Mom would’ve been if she were still around.

“I'm done, thanks for dinner” Wooyoung said, standing abruptly.

Surprised at his sudden movement, she flinched “Oh! already? um okay then” she said.

Digging in his pocket he pulled out his cell phone and left, walking toward the hall. Leaning sideways so she could still see him, she called out “Make sure you do your homework, oh and bring me your washing to do in the morning!”

Without turning he waved behind his head signalling that he’d heard her and then turned into his room closing the door behind him. Hearing a growl of disapproval she looked at her father, shocked to find him staring in the direction of the hallway with an expression that Gahee rarely ever saw from him... Sadness.