Tap

BOY vs GIRL

 

 

“Dance dance everybody get up, don't just sit there hands up...up...in...the aiiiiir!” voice straining, Taecyeon hefted the bag with difficulty onto the top of the pile, puffing hard from exertion.

Hauling 20 bags of fertiliser across from his house next door to this barn was not easy and he was doing it alone. Up to about number 11 he was fine but by bag 14 he felt like his shoulders were going to drop off...and he still had a couple more to go.

Serves me right for volunteering

He examined the giant pile of fertiliser sitting against the barn wall and shook his head, knowing it wasn't something he would ever let Grandfather do anyway. One because he was old, two because if his parents found out he’d let him, they’d kill him and three because he’d feel bad if he didn't help. He was happy to put his strength to use somehow.

Taking off his gloves he walked over to a stool perched up against a beam and sat down.

Checking his wrist watch, he made a mental note of the time. He still had to pack for school and wanted to finish unloading the fertiliser before Grandfather came back from the market otherwise he would try to help him. He didn’t want the old guy to throw his back out or anything. Checking his watch again he smiled. I probably would’ve finished ages ago if I didn’t go off task

Resting his elbows on his thighs, he hung his head down and kneaded the muscles in his neck with both hands, working them down over his shoulders, applying pressure to try ease the aching.

Tap

What was that? He thought, raising his head. Listening for a moment, the only sound he could hear were birds chirping. Shaking it off, he stood up to make his way back to his house.

Tap Tap

There it is again. Freezing on the spot, he waited.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Tap Tap                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Figuring Figuring out that the tapping sound didn’t seem to be coming from in front of him, he turned around. Listening hard, he slowly walked around the barn, sometimes pausing when the taps paused or changing course when they seemed to be getting quieter. Walking over to the back of the barn he heard them get louder and louder.

Tap Tap… Tap Tap…   Tap Tap

Finding the spot where the taps were at their loudest he came to a halt in front of the middle of the back wall of the barn but as soon as he did the taps stopped. Bending down to clear out some buckets sitting in front of it, he stepped up close and put his ear to the wood and…nothing. Raising his eyebrows he snuggled closer to the wall straining to hear.

TAP!

Grunting in surprise he backtracked, eyeing the wall he rushed forward and banged his fist on it  “Who’s there?” he yelled out.

Silence

Swivelling around, he ran through the barn turning outside at the entrance. Running into the garden and weaving through the path he rounded the corner to the back of the barn, skidding sideways on the gravel to a stop, he looked around and after a moment found himself confused. There’s nobody here

Scanning the garden he couldn’t see anyone either “What the heck”

Thinking he might be going nuts, he made his way back to the barn, still keeping an ear out for the noise but not hearing anything. Scratching his head he turned back into the entrance of the barn and froze. The stool he’d been sitting on next to the beam was now sitting right in the middle of the barn. He walked over to it, his mouth opening in surprise at what he saw.   

The stool now had a plate of waffles and berries sitting on it, along with some cutlery and a large mug of hot chocolate. Laying next to the stool as if dropped in a rush was a rake.

Bending to pick the rake up he looked back down at the stool in awe and then turned, peering up in the direction of the house just in time to see the gate swinging shut.