Lost "Friend"

All Along

 

After my last tutoring session with Jongup, I realized I did have a crush on him. We had grown closer ever since we made this agreement. I just don't know if he feels the same as me. We mess around together a lot but I can't assume anything. I'll just be playing it safe and keeping this my secret. I was staring at the ceiling as I lay in my bed. I stretched my hand out, waving my fingers. I sighed then scooted off the bed to walk to the living room. 
 
My mom greeted me as she prepared to leave and drop my brothers and I off to school. 
"Something wrong hun?" She asked me. I shrugged and slung my backpack on my shoulder. She let it go and called my brothers to leave before we were late.
 
My mom stopped the car at Jonghun's middle school parking lot. 
"See you later Jonghun!" My mom yelled after him. He wave goodbye and walked into school. Then my mom closed the window and looked at me seriously.
"Now tell me what's wrong Kyura." I rolled my eyes defiantly. 
"Yah," she warned. I sighed in defeat. I might as well tell her right? She likes Jongup around and so does my family. 
"I think I like Jongup.." I admitted. Her eyes widened but her lips slowly curled upward into a smile. 
"Oh really? That's good." Is all she said. 
"What?" I finally faced her. Why is that a good thing? He's my rival and..I guess he's my friend. 
"Jongup is a good guy. I'm glad you like him." She told me. I rolled my eyes and leaned my head on the window. She would say that  "So, are you going to tell him?" I heard her ask. I shot up.
"No! That's a stupid idea." By that time, I was in the parking lot of my school. I took this opportunity to escape the conversation and hopped out of the car. 
 
When I walked into the school, I hurriedly opened my locker and took my books, later closing it vigorously. I turned around quickly and bumped into someone's chest.
"Whoa, what's up Kyura?" It was Jongup's voice. I backed away immediately and walked away. Ugh, the last person I wanted to see.
"Hey!" He called. I didn't turn around but Jongup ran and caught up to me. 
"Is everything alright?" He asked me concerned. I sighed to myself in frustration. I looked in a different direction and saw my friend Nayoung. She made eye contact with me and waved. I went over to her and grabbed her hand hurrying over to the girls' restroom. Jongup was left in the hallway with a confused expression. Ah, cute...WHA-NO! Ugh.. Nayoung slapped my hand off getting my attention. 
 
"What is your problem Kyura?" I shook my head and ruffled my hair. 
"You finally realized your feelings for Jongup huh?" She crossed her arms. I looked up at her wondering how she knew. 
"I'm your best friend Kyura. Plus, it was bound to happen." Nayoung read my mind. I rested my head on her shoulder. 
"Why did it have to be him?" I whined helplessly. Nayoung shrugged, causing my head to bob up. 
"Yeah I know right? He's such an obnoxious and egotistical guy," she started. 
"Not all the time.." I defended Jongup unconsciously. Nayoung wiggled her eyebrows at my response, pleased. I groaned frustrated at what I just said. 
"Relax Kyura. I bet he likes you too. He skipped out that one day to keep his date with you." I hit her shoulder.
"Those aren't dates!" 
"They're arrangements together then, sheesh." I sighed and stuck my hands in my pockets.
 
Suddenly a girl came out of a stall and looked at us blankly. 
"Oh, uh, hey Rin," I said nervously. She smiled a little and went over to the sink. 
"Let's go to class." Nayoung urged. I nodded and followed her out. 
 
"She heard all of that." I said not making eye contact with Nayoung as we walked down the halls.
"Who cares?" She said. I looked at her seriously.
"I'm pretty sure she likes Jongup." I paused. "She's the one who asked him out last Saturday." Nayoung bit her lip nervously. 
"Oh..." I shook my head.
"I-it's fine." I tried to reassure myself and walked into class. 
 
I took my seat and laid my head down on my desk. Jongup came up to my desk and leaned his head on it, his face close to mine. I was too shocked to move and just stared at him. He titled his head curiously like puppy. My heart was beating rapidly the cuter he was acting. His face was smooth and one piece if his auburn hair was left out of place from the rest of his spiked hairstyle. His hair looked so soft; I wanted to run my fingers through it. He backed away after trying to read my expression. 
 
"Kyura?" He waved his hand over my face trying to get my attention. I lifted my head up and pushed back my hair. 
"Yeah?" I responded. He gave me a funny look as if  I was crazy.
"What do you mean 'yeah?' Are you on drugs or something?" He tapped my forehead. 
"No." I said simply. He scoffed and relaxed his shoulders. 
"Just tell me." He demanded. I looked him in the eyes and responded sincerely. 
"I'm fine, Jongup. Really." He bit his lip and took my word this time. The bell rang signaling the start of class. 
 
--
 
At lunch time I made sure to distance myself from Jongup. 
"Hey there," I turned around to the direction of the voice. I saw Nayoung raise her eyebrows at me. 
"Oh hey," I smiled. We grabbed lunch together and walked to a table. 
 
As we were eating, Rin came over to our table. We stared at her silently for a bit with our mouths full of food. 
"Can I talk to you for a bit Kyura-sshi?" Rin asked me. I looked to Nayoung then Rin and nodded. I got up and followed her for bit until I noticed she was headed to where Jongup was sitting. I slowed my pace a bit then Rin turned around to check if I was still trailing behind her. Crap. Can't turn back now.
 
We stopped in front of the table full of boys and I saw Jongup look at us curiously. 
"Hey Rin!" A handsome boy with spiked, black hair greeted. Rin smiled at him, "Hi Himchan-sshi." Then she turned her gaze back on Jongup. 
 
"Jongup-sshi," he tilted his head at the sound of his name. 
"Are you dating Nam Kyura?" I turned and looked to her with wide eyes. What is she saying? I heard Jongup scoff behind me putting his chopsticks down. 
"Tch. No." He said. I looked him with soft eyes. 
"She's my rival. Nothing more, nothing less." Jongup said bluntly. I couldn't help but feel hurt because that was all he thought of me as. Am I not even a friend to him? Just some person he has to beat?
 
"What about your 'arrangements?'" She continued. Jongup gave her a skeptical look probably wondering how she knew about it. "Nayoung told me." She added. What the hell is she getting at? Jongup wet his lips before continuing.
"Those are tutoring lessons. Besides we're gonna stop those anyway because I've learned what I needed to." He looked at me for reassurance but I couldn't speak. 
"So it's back to our good old competition. Is that all Rin-ah?" He asked. She smiled and nodded. 
"It was just a rumor." Rin said innocently. 
"Then thank goodness I cleared it up." Jongup said and returned to his friends, completely forgetting my presence.
 
Rin was obviously satisfied because she sat down next to Himchan after she heard what she wanted to and carried on like nothing had happened.
 
Rather than standing flustered by the situation, I walked away back to my friend and sat down. She looked at me concerned, seeing that I was filled with anger. 
"You alright?" She asked. I clenched my teeth. 
"Never better." If a rival is all I am to him, fine. He'll got the competition of his life and I will win. I stabbed a piece of food on my fork then sighed deeply at my own thoughts. 
 
"Kyura, what happened over there with Jongup?" Nayoung rubbed my back soothingly. I felt a lump in my throat preventing me from speaking clearly. 
 

"Nothing. We're nothing. But rivals. Nothing more, nothing less." I repeated his words that echoed endlessly in my head.