CHAPTER 2

High School Zero

 

Soojung’s POV

“Junggie please!” Oh god! Kim Jongin has been bugging me to cover his shift for him since he has a dance competition later.

We were standing by my locker and the entire student body has been giving us the weird looks all thanks to Jongin. “Okay! Fine! You owe me one Kai.”

“I love you Soojung!” At that moment, Sehun who was standing beside me cleared his throat.

“Sehun ah! Thank god you’re here! I have to prepare for my competition so would you please be a good friend and accompany my dear Junggie for lunch. She sprained her ankle so she needs support. Please!!!” There he goes again, begging people. What was he thinking asking Sehun to accompany me?

I was pretty sure Sehun would reject the offer but to my horror he agreed! Oh my god! I’m having lunch with Oh Sehun. Kim Jongin, wait till I get my hands on you!

“Ready?” Sehun asked me as he held on to my arms, supporting me. I nod my head and he directed my to the basketball court.

Sehun’s POV

Kai asked me to accompany Soojung for lunch and of course I agreed to it! It was pretty awkward as I brought her to the basketball court. The girls were giving her the dirty looks but she doesn’t seem to care about it.

As we settled down, Soojung began munching on her food as I silently watch her eat. How can she be show beautiful even when she’s eating? “Is there something on my face?” I guess she caught me staring at her. This is the first time she ever spoke to me and her voice is so soft, it’s like music to my ears.

“N-no. Do you always eat so little?” I asked, pointing to her kimbab, since that’s the only thing I could think off.

“I’m not that hungry actually. Sooyeon unnie was the one who prepared this for me. I usually give them to Kai since he’s like a bottomless pit,” Soojung replied, “Why aren’t you eating?”

I told her that I left my lunch box at home and she kindly shared hers with me. I have to say that the Kimbab is delicious. We talked for a bit and soon the last bell rang. The both of us made our way to the class just in time for our history lesson.

History was boring as per usual. I was just staring outside the window and I could tell that Soojung was also bored seeing how her history notebook is filled with doodles.

“So for this term’s history project, you’ll be doing a research on Modern History. Hitler, Nazis, the Cold War and those along the same line. I’m sure none of you would want  to do a presentation and so I’ve decided not to have a presentation since most of you will end up presenting nonsensical things,” the whole class cheered and I could see how happy Soojung was, “BUT! Since there’s no presentation, I’ve decided to pick your partners for you and switching of partners is strictly disallowed.”

Annoying Mrs Kim is forever annoying! The list went on and on but my name has yet to be mentioned.

“Oh Sehun,” Mrs Kim announced, “and Jung Soojung.”

Wait what? Did I heard wrongly?

Soojung’s POV

“Oh Sehun,” Mrs Kim announced, “and Jung Soojung.”

Oh my god! I’m partnering up with Sehun! Wait, what about Kai?

“Lastly, Kim Jongin and Son Naeun. I expect the reports to be in by the end of this month. Consultations will be on every Friday and I expect to all pairs to at least come for one consultation session. Marks will be given for every session. You can go home now,” Annoying Kim announced.

I checked my watch and it was nearly 2PM. Damn it! My shift is at 2.30PM. I packed my bags and ran out of the classroom.

“No running in the hallways!” the hall monitor shouted.

I bumped into some students and apologized as I ran towards the school gate.

“Soojung!” I stopped when I heard someone calling me. I turned around only to see Sehun panting.

“Why are you in such a rush?” he asked, as he bend down to tie his shoe lace.

“I’m late for work. Is there something you need?” I asked as I checked my watch.

“About the project. Since my house is under renovation, can we do it at yours instead? Tomorrow after school?” Sehun rubbed his neck as he his lips.

“I guess that’s okay. I don’t have work tomorrow. I’ll see you then! Bye!” I waved to him and ran as fast as I could to the bakery.

Lucky for me, I reached the bakery 10 minutes before my shift starts. Time passed by slower than normal. Maybe because Jongin wasn’t there to talk to me. It was already 6.30PM and Kai’s shift was ending. I was mending the cashier when a group of boys walked in.

“Welcome! May I take you orders?” I asked the boys. A baby-faced guy stepped forward and ordered for his friends, “Can I get 5 slices of Oreo Cheesecake and a slice of Red Velvet cake?”

“Sure. What about your drinks?”

“6 glasses of Iced Tea will do,” he gave me shy smile as he handed his money.

“Soojung! Order’s up!” my manager shouted from the counter.

I took a tray of cakes first and served it to them before limping my way back to the counter to get their drinks.

As I picked up the tray, another customer walks in, “Soojung ah!”

I looked up and saw Sehun in front of me. Oh god! Why is he here? I look like a crazy girl right now with my hair all messed up. “Hey Sehun!” I greeted him back.

“Soojung! Back to work!” my manager shouted from the back.

I bowed to him and gave Sehun an apologetic look as I made my way to the group of boys. As I was serving their drinks, Sehun walked towards them and took a seat.

“Oh!” I exclaimed, “Your friends?”

“Yeah. Thanks for the food Soojung,” he smiled at me again.

It was already 7PM and I was sitting by the counter after changing back into my school uniform.

“Here’s your pay. Good job today,” my manager passed me an envelope and walked back into the kitchen.

I’m reaching soon. Wait for me inside the bakery – Sooyeon unnie

“Waiting for someone?” I looked up from my phone and there he is standing in front of me.

“Y-yeah. Sooyeon unnie is fetching me. Going home?” I asked him back.

“Sehun ah! Let’s go!” the baby-faced boy called Sehun.

“Yup. See you tomorrow! Take care of your ankle!” He waved at me and made his way out. 5 minutes later, Sooyeon unnie finally reached. I bade farewell to my colleagues and went home.

Oh ! Sehun’s coming over tomorrow! He’ll find out who I really am!