CHAPTER 29

High School Zero

 

"Okay one last pose," says the photographer, "Can the groom move closer to the bride?"

Peniel shifted to the side a bit as instructed. "How about a peck on the cheek?" The photographer asked. Peniel took a glance at Soojung and she didn't seem to be against it neither was she for it. Peniel decided to follow the photographer's instruction and have Soojung a peck on the cheeks.

"Okay that's a wrap!" The photographer said and his staffs kept the equipment. Peniel helped Soojung with her dress before heading to the dressing room to change.

Sooyeon and Hana helped Soojung out of her dress while Soojung stood there listlessly. Sooyeon and Hana exchanged worried glances as they helped her change. L.Joe waited outside with Peniel and he couldn't help but feel guilty, "Dude are you sure you want to go through with this? The both of you are clearly not happy with this wedding."

"What am I supposed to do? Call off the wedding?" Peniel was just as frustrated as everyone else. He hated seeing Soojung like this.

Minutes later, the three girls stepped out of the dressing room. The five of them were about to leave when Soojung suddenly felt like vomiting.

Hana followed her while Sooyeon asked to boys to buy a small bottle of mineral water and sweets for Soojung.

Sooyeon though that it was weird of Soojung as she has been vomiting a lot lately. She thought that it might be due to Soojung not eating properly. To confirm her theory, Sooyeon called her friend, Seohyun, who happens to be a doctor and arranged an appointment for Soojung later today.

Hana and Soojung stepped out of the toilet with Soojung looking very pale. "We can't wait any longer. Let's bring her to the hospital," says Sooyeon as she help Hana bring Soojung to the car. She texted Peniel that they were going off to the hospital first and quickly drove off.

--

"How is she?" Sooyeon asked her friend Seohyun.

Seohyun took the report of the check-up from the nurse and went through it. After double checking the result, Seohyun faced the three girls, "Everything seems fine except that she's slightly dehydrated. Soojung, you need to eat properly or at least drink something for the sake of the baby."

Soojung's eyes shot open, "B-baby?"

Seohyun nods her head, "You're a month pregnant."

Sooyeon couldn't believe what she's hearing. Of all things, the first thing that she thought of is the father of the child, "Is it Sehun's?" Soojung cried and they took it as a yes.

In the car, Soojung sat at the back alone. "If I found out about this earlier, the both of us wouldn't have broken up right?" She thought.

Soojung thought about Sehun, the baby and Peniel. If she were to get married to Peniel, it would've been unfair for him since the child isn't his. After thinking through, Soojung took her phone out and texted Peniel and asked him to come over to their house.

--

"Hana, stay over for the night. It's already late," says Sooyeon as she closed the front door. Hana agreed and told her Dad about it.

Hana entered the room and there Soojung was, staring out of the window. "Soojung ah," Hana went over and sat across of her, "Are you going to tell Sehun about the baby?"

Soojung shook her head, "But why?"

"I don't want to make things worse for him," Soojung sobbed.

"What about your Mum?" Hana was definitely worried about her mum.

"We're not going to tell her yet. Plus, after the wedding, we're flying off to Chicago. I don't think the baby bump would be obvious so I'll just tell her about it after the wedding."

Hana couldn't say anything else since Soojung already made up her mind.

"One more thing, if Sehun were to ask where I am, tell him I went back to California. Please?" Hana promised and hugged her best friend, "Can I be the baby's god mother?"

Soojung finally laughed and agreed, "I hope that you and Jongin will have a happy ending."

--

Hana was in the shower when a knock was heard at the front door. Soojung left her room quietly and she saw Peniel standing in the living room. She brought him to the pool area and told him everything.

Peniel agreed to look after the baby but not as a father as he figured that the child has the right to know who his/her real father is. The two came to a decision that after 4 years of marriage, they will file for a divorce.

After an hour of discussion the two came to an agreement and Peniel accompanied Soojung back to her room, "Take care of yourself alright? Although our marriage would be a hoax, I still want a healthy looking bride walking down the aisle. I'll see you next week, on the wedding day."

Peniel was about to head home when he received a text from someone.

Can we meet? I'm at the Han river. -Sehun

I'll be there soon, he replied.

--

Sehun stared at the river in front of him. He remembered the first time they went on a proper date but ended up accompanying a little girl who lost her mum. He was about to go deeper into their memories when someone cleared his throat.

"Sorry I'm late," Peniel apologized.

Sehun shook his head and gave the older boy a small smile, "It's okay. I'm sorry I called you out suddenly."

"Nah, no big deal. I was at Krystal's so it wasn't that far," Peniel mentally cursed at himself for saying that last sentence out loud.

"How is she?" Sehun asked.

Peniel paused for a moment, thinking of whether or not to tell Sehun about the baby, "Barely alive. She hasn’t been eating properly and is losing weight."

"Hyung," Peniel's ear perked up and he turned to face Sehun, "Promise me that you'll look after her for me when I'm gone. Please help her forget about me."

Peniel felt heavyhearted. He knew that he was in no position to look after Soojung let alone help her move on. But seeing how Sehun needed him to do that, Peniel forced himself to do it for the sake of Soojung, "I will."

"Thanks hyung," Sehun didn't smile anymore. He couldn't smile. Peniel saw the hurt in his eyes, "Sehun ah, if one day the two of you were to meet again and you guys still share the same feelings, I'll be more than happy to let her go."

"B-but why?" Sehun was confused.

"Because Krystal and I, we're being forced into marriage. But if the both of you are really destined to be with each other, then I shall be the big brother who steps aside just for you guys."