CHAPTER 16

High School Zero

 

Soojung's POV

I was awakened by the sound of my phone. My hands travelled around my bed, searching for the phone. I finally found it and answered the call. It was from Jongin. He told me that he wouldn't be going to school with us since he's staying over at his parents'.

I hanged up the call and forced myself up. I suddenly felt dizzy when I was walking to the washroom. After a 20 minutes shower, I stepped out of the washroom in my uniform, all ready for school. As I was going down to the dining room, I felt dizzy again. I shook my heads and the dizziness went away. I must be stressed out because of the exams.

The maids were worried when they saw me. Since my sister and dad had already gone to work, they fussed over me, making sure I ate my breakfast and asking if I was okay.

Miyeon told them that I am big enough to look after myself and dismissed them from the room. I didn't want to be left alone in the same room as Miyeon, and so I asked one of the maids to pack a bottle of hot tea for me as I wore my shoes at the front door.

Before going out, the maid passed me my lunch box and gave me my medicine, "Keep this iron pills with you at all times. Eat it when you feel dizzy okay? I packed some meat for you so make sure to eat it. The driver will send you to school. You're not fit to walk there. Come home if you're not feeling well."

I nod my head and walked out of the house. As usual, Sehun was at the front gate waiting for me. I gestured for him to come over as I waited outside the car for the driver. The driver came at the same time as Sehun. He opened the door for us and drove us to school.

"Soojung ah, are you okay?" Sehun asked as he caressed my cheeks. "I nod my head weakly and rested it on his shoulders."

We've finally reached school. Before we got off the car, the driver stopped us and handed me a blue scarf, "Wear it. The weather is cold and you don't look good. My daughter bought it for you. She says she misses you."

I took the scarf and wrapped it around my neck. As usual, we went to the locker room first and grabbed the necessary books and left those we don't need.

Jongin and Hana soon arrived and to my surprised, they came together by bus. I rated my eyebrows at Jongin who only rolled his eyes and helped me with my scarf, "It's too big for you Junggie. Your small head is now gone."

As much as I want to beat the capacity out of him, I couldn't since I didn't have enough strength.

Lunch was quiet since I was too tired to speak and Hana seems to be in deep thoughts. I had forced myself to eat my lunch since I didn't want to risk fainting in school.

Sehun's POV

The two girls seem different today. Soojung looked sick while Hana is always zoning out. I nudged her a couple of times since she was playing with her rice instead if eating it.

"Girls, do you want to go home? You girls don't look well," I asked, feeling worried about them.

As expected, none of them replied, “That's it; we're bringing you girls home."

I talked to the nurse and she agreed to give us an excuse letter. I brought Soojung to my house since Miyeon is the only one at home now and I don't trust her in looking after Soojung. I called Sooyeon noona and told her to pick Soojung up from my house once she was done with work.

At home, my mum cooked some hot porridge for Soojung who was burning up right now. She also called our family doctor to check up on Soojung. It seems like Soojung was having a bad cold since we stayed out in the cold for quite some time yesterday.

Soojung fell asleep after my mum fed her the porridge. Mum helped to change her out of her uniform and into my old sweatshirt.

"She'll be okay after some rest. Why don't you wash up and have some snacks before you study?" she ushered me into the washroom and closed the door.

After showering, I stepped out of the washroom and saw Soojung sleeping peacefully on my bed. On my study table, mum left some freshly cut fruits and a class of grape juice for me, and a small note saying She's a keeper.

Kai's POV

Hana and I were standing at the bus stop and yet neither of us was talking. “Hana,” I tapped her arm, “Is there something wrong?”

Hana turned to me and shook her head, “Everything’s fine. Don’t worry. Are you free now?”

“What is it?” She’s asking me out?

“I want to go somewhere. Do you mind accompanying me?” Of course I didn’t reject her. The next thing I know, we’re in the taxi, on our way to somewhere. I examined my surrounding and I soon figured out that we were at the cemetery. But why did she want to come here?

Hana stopped the driver right in front a flight of stairs. I paid the taxi fare and we both stepped out for the taxi. Hana walked up the stairs as I followed closely behind her. I didn’t know why we are here but my instinct tells me that someone dear to her had passed away.

I wanted to ask her who we’re visiting but before I could do so, Hana stopped in front of a grave. She bowed and I followed suit.

“Hi Mum. It’s been a while right? I’m home now, just like what you wanted. I’m sorry for not visiting you all these years but I just couldn’t help myself. I didn’t want to come back to Seoul since I wasn’t ready for this. But here I am now,” and then she started to cry. I wanted to console her but I know it’s better to let her cry it all out.

“I’m 18 now. It’s been 5 years right? I’m sorry for running out of the hotel. If I didn’t, you wouldn’t have chased after me and you wouldn’t have gotten into that accident. I was so childish back then. I wanted to bring your body back to America but Dad said that you wanted to be buried in your birth country. Mum, I miss you. Dad, he had a hard time back then. The company nearly got taken away but he worked hard to keep it going. I guess it was the only way to keep his mind off you.”

Hana stopped talking and turned to me, “Mum, this is Jongin. He’s a friend of mine. If you were still alive, I’m sure you would like him. He’s good looking isn’t he? He’s a dancer, just like you. I have to other friends, Sehun and Soojung but they’re not here now. Jongin have helped me a lot ever since I came back. I don’t think I could ever repay him.”

I smiled at Hana and held her shoulders, “Hi Mrs Jung, I’m Jongin. I’ll take care of Hana for you for as long as she allows me too. Thank you for giving birth to such a pretty and kind daughter.”

Hana’s POV

After visiting Mum’s cemetery, I felt so much better. Thankfully Kai agreed to come with me. If he wasn’t there, people might have thought I’m a crazy girl for crying my eyeballs out at the bus stop. Kai took out his handkerchief and wiped away my tears.

“Thank you Jongin. You know? For coming with me. I really appreciate it,” I forced myself from crying again and gave him a genuine smile.

“It’s nothing Hana. I would do anything for you,” he replied, “About earlier. I was being serious. Will you allow me to take care of you for as long as I can? Not just as a mere friend but more than that. I like you Hana. A lot. Will you give me a chance?”

 I was stunned. I didn’t know he likes me. All those things he did for me at the bus stop. I suddenly thought about it. I felt safe and secure when I was with him. He made me feel warm, inside and out. At that time, I knew that I liked him too.

I nod my head but I was too shy to look straight at him. The next thing I knew, his lips landed on mine and I felt as if I was on cloud nine.