CHAPTER 35

High School Zero

 

The next day, the doctor announced that Sohee was free to go home. Peniel's parents came over to take a look at Sohee and helped Soojung to pack her things. Kris, Chanyeol, Tao and Baekhyun dropped by to see Sohee since they haven't been visiting her yet while the rest were back at home preparing for Sohee's birthday party. After completing all the necessary procedures, Soojung carried Sohee out of her room while the two elders went off first to get the cake.

"Is this our little Sohee?" Chanyeol spoke with his deep voice, scaring Sohee.

The poor girl buried her face in Soojung's shoulder.

"You idiot!" Baekhyun smacked Chanyeol's arms.

Tao took a step forward and walked over to Sohee, "Hi Sohee! I'm Tao!"

Sohee raised her head and blinked at Tao, "Uncle Tao?"

Tao nods his head. This is the first time they met since they usually talk through Skype.

"Panda!" Sohee touched Tao's eye bags while the rest laughed.

Soojung turned Sohee around and made her face the other three boys, "Why don't you greet your uncles?"

Sohee bowed and greeted them. The boys couldn't contain their happiness and introduced themselves to Sohee.

When it was Kris' turn, Sohee let out a gasp, "Uncle is tall!"

"Hey I'm tall too!" Chanyeol pouted earning him another beating.

"Hi Sohee!" Kris took Sohee from Soojung and carried her before placing her on his shoulders, "Like the view up there?"

"Wah! So tall!" Sohee squealed, "Uncle is tall, Peniel Appa is short!"

Baekhyun couldn't contain his laughter and laughed out loud but what Sohee said next made him shut his mouth, "Uncle short too, like Peniel Appa!"

At that moment Sehun was casually passing by but stopped when he saw them crowding outside the room. His eyes landed on Sohee who was already staring at him like she knows him. Sehun stood there awkwardly, not knowing what to do.

Sohee tilted her head cutely before smiling like as if someone gave her a bunch of lollipops, "APPA!"

Sehun was taken aback by her sudden outburst and looked over at Soojung, "She knows."

He bravely took a step forward and Sohee opened her hands wide, asking for Sehun to carry her instead. Sehun carefully carried her off Kris' shoulders and examined her features. Pretty like her Mum.

"Appa!" Sohee hugged him tightly.

Sehun hugged her back and said, "Hi there Princess! How are you?"

Sohee smiled brightly showing everyone that she's better now, "Umma, I'm a good girl right?"

Soojung nods her head in agreement.

"Can I go to the playground with Appa?" Sohee gave Soojung the puppy eye.

Soojung contemplated on whether or not to allow her but since she has promised Sohee before, Soojung agreed to let them spend some alone time together, "Be careful!"

Sehun mouthed a 'Thank you' to Soojung and happily walked out of the hospital with Sohee while the rest went back to Soojung's house to get ready for the party.

--

At the playground, Sohee played with some of her neighbours while Sehun sat at one corner watching over her. A Korean neighbour took a seat beside Sehun without him knowing, "You know Jamie?"

Sehun raised his eyebrows, "You mean Sohee?  I'm her biological father."

"I see. I've watched her grow up and she just the sweetest little girl although she could be quite forceful at times but I guess that's a good thing," the lady continued, "She once stood up for my granddaughter, Eunji, when she got bullied."

"Sounds just like her mother," Sehun laughed softly.

"Must've been hard on Soojung since she gave birth at such a young age," the lady's smile disappeared, "She's the same age as my youngest daughter and it's saddening to see her go through all these especially with that mother of hers."

"Her mum is a tough nut to crack," Sehun joked.

The two continued talking and the lady told Sehun things about Sohee which he didn't know.

"Appa!" Sohee ran towards her father.

"Yes princess?" Sehun wiped her sweat with his handkerchief.

"I'm hungry," Sohee pouted cutely.

Sehun pinched her nose playfully and carried her, allowing her to seat on his lap, "Umma, uncles and aunties already prepared food for you at home. Why don't we buy some drinks instead?"

Sohee nods her head and smile brightly. Sehun bade farewell to the older lady and carried Sohee to the convenience shop across the street.

"Peniel Appa!" Sohee shouted when she saw Peniel at the drinks section.

Peniel looked up from the drinks and saw Sohee with Sehun. The two exchanged bows and Sehun walked over to Peniel.

"Hey there Princess! Did you have fun with your Appa?" Peniel kissed Sohee's cheeks.

Sohee smiled again and nods her head vigorously.

"Hyung," Sehun acknowledged Peniel's presence.

"How have you been?" Peniel asked with a tinge of worry in his voice.

"Still alive I guess," Sehun shrugged.

"Remember my promise?" Peniel looked straight at Sehun.

Sehun blinked at the sudden question, "I'm going to keep my promise and help you out."

"But how?"

"It'll work out, trust me. Just do what you’re supposed to do years ago,” Peniel smiled suspiciously, “I’m sure you still have that missing ring from the jewellery box you gave her right?”

“How did you know?” Sehun was shocked.

Peniel chuckled and pats Sehun’s arms, “I know a lot of things my dear dongsaeng. Now why don't we get the drinks quickly and head back home before Sooyeon noona kills us for being late?"