CHAPTER 32

High School Zero

 

It was a chilly autumn day at the Shin’s household. While Sohee was playing on her own in the room, Soojung was in the living room, talking to Peniel over the phone.

"Are you coming home tonight?" Soojung asked Peniel, "What do you want to eat for dinner? The usual? Alright then. See you later oppa!"

Soojung hanged up the phone and walked to Sohee's room to check up on her. "Umma!" Sohee smiled brightly at her mother.

"Hey there sweetie! What are you doing?" Soojung took a seat on the floor beside Sohee.

Sohee held up a piece of drawing block and showed off her new art piece.

"I'm going to give this to Appa one day," She said proudly. Soojung just smiled at Sohee, unsure of what to reply. "Let's get you ready. We're going to the market," Soojung grabbed a jacket from the closet and helped Sohee change.

On their way to the market, they bumped into some of their neighbours who happily greeted them. Soojung carried Sohee to the trolley area and picked a trolley before placing Sohee on the seat.

They bought all their necessities and queued up at the counter. "That'll be $40 Ms," says the cashier. Soojung was about to pay for it when someone pushed her hands away, "I'll do it. Here's $40."

"Oppa!" Soojung turned to face Peniel. "Surprised?" He pats her head before putting the groceries into the trolley, "How's my baby Sohee? Did you miss Appa?"

Sohee opened her arms wide and smiled giddily as she asked for a hug, "I missed you so much!" Peniel gave the child a peck on her forehead, and pushed the trolley all the way to the car park.

--

"Gosh I missed your cooking so much!" Peniel said as he stuffs himself with baked potatoes, and salmon.

"Eat slowly!" Soojung grabbed a tissue and wiped off some sauce on his cheeks, "You're setting a bad example to the child."

"Appa bad!" Sohee pouted cutely. The two adults laughed at the cute sight in front of them. The Shin family, as what the neighbours call them, had a nice meal together after such a long time.

After dinner, Soojung cleaned up the kitchen and dining area while Sohee and Peniel pick out a movie for their usual Friday movie night.

"Princess Diaries! I want to watch Princess Diaries!" Sohee held out the cd and waved them at Peniel.

Peniel smiled and took the cd from Sohee, "Our little Princess wants to watch this again?"

Sohee nods her head and happily climbed onto Peniel's lap.

Sohee was already fast asleep even before the movie was over. Soojung carried her to the room and tugged her in, "Sweet dreams Princess." With a kiss on the forehead, Soojung left the room.

Soojung was in her room, thinking about some things like Sohee's upcoming birthday and such. A knock on her door interrupted her thoughts, "I got a call for Sooyeon noona. She said she just reached Chicago an hour ago."

"Unnie's here?" Soojung was surprised since Sooyeon didn't tell her about it the last time they Skyped.

"Must've been a sudden business trip. She invited us out for dinner at the restaurant near the hospital," Peniel passed on the message.

"Knowing my sister, I guess we should leave Sohee at your parents since we might be out late," says Soojung.

"I'll inform them. Good night!"

--

"Finally we're here!" Luhan dropped his things on the floor and plopped on the bed, "This is heaven!"

Sehun shook his head and picked Luhan's stuffs up, putting them against the wall. He drew the curtains and admired the night view, "Chicago has a beautiful night view."

"Yeah. I should wash up first. You don't mind right?" Sehun shook head and switched on the TV while he unpacked his things.

Over at Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s room, it was pretty normal until they both sat eyes on the same bed. "I'm sleeping here!" Baekhyun quickly ran over to the bed near the TV.

"Not fair!" Chanyeol grumbled.

"Slowpoke!" Baekhyun teased as he lay on the comfortable bed, "This is so worth the long flight!"

Like them, the other boys and girls settled down in their rooms before falling into slumber.

--

The next night, Soojung and Peniel dropped Soojung off at Peniel's parents. The two dressed casually and yet they look like models walking down the runway.

Peniel pulled over right outside the small restaurant and the both of them walked into the restaurant.

"Table for two?" The waiter asked.

"Can we get a large table?" Peniel asked the waiter.

The waiter brought them to a bigger round table and gave them the menu, "Feel free to call us when you're ready. Here's a glass of warm water. Enjoy!"

Both of them looked through the menu as they waited for Sooyeon to come.

"I'm going to the ladies," Soojung told Peniel.

"Sure, don't take too long," Soojung nods her head and walked towards the ladies.

Out of a sudden, noises were heard from behind Peniel. He turned around to see what was going but then he heard people speaking in Korean. "All of them are here?" Peniel was utterly shocked, "If they're all here, which means!"

Before he could continue speaking to himself, somebody tapped his back, "Hey there!"

He turned around only to be greeted by a large group of people. Peniel was taken aback by the crowd and nearly fell back, "Hey guys! I didn't know all of you guys were coming too!"

He scanned the group and noticed that Sehun and Luhan weren't there. Peniel heaved a sigh of relief and offered the gang a seat.

"So where's my sister?" Sooyeon asked curious about her missing sister.

"She went to the ladies. Why don't we order first? Krystal already told me what she wants," Peniel passed around the menu nervously.

Hana narrowed her eyes at Peniel, "How are the both of you doing?"

"G-good I guess?" Peniel stuttered.

"Then why are you stuttering?" Kai asked the rest of the group eyed him.

Kris was on the verge of pouring the warm water at his annoying friends but Jay saved him, "What do you expect? You guys are literally grilling him!"

"Oh my god!" Soojung who just came back from the ladies was shocked to see her sister and friends, "What are you guys doing here?"

"It's nice to see you again," Xiu Min said sarcastically.

"Way to say hi to your friends!" Hana stood up and hugged Soojung.

Soojung hugged her back and took a seat beside Peniel, "I didn't mean that. I thought only unnie was coming."

"Then why did you think I asked for a bigger table?" Peniel asked.

"I don't know? Maybe because you wanted to order a table of food again?" Soojung joked. The gang laughed and Peniel's face flushed as bright as a tomato. Soojung finally realised that someone was missing. Make it two but she was sure the last one wasn't going to turn up, "Where's Luhan oppa?"

"Luhan? He left his phone in his room. He'll be here soon," Lay assured her since she thought Luhan didn't come along. *Sehun's coming too* He thought to himself.

Minutes after placing their orders, food began to fill the table. Peniel left earlier since he needs to attend an urgent meeting.

As they were enjoying their meals, a shadow fell behind them, "We're here!"

"Luhan hyung decided to do some big business in the toilet," Sehun rolled his eyes as he said that, not aware of Soojung's presence.

The entire table froze when they saw Soojung's expression. *That's his voice!* Soojung thought. She could recognize that cute lisp.

Sehun noticed the sudden tension and looked down. *It's her!*

Before the both of them could do anything, Soojung's phone rang.

Shakily, Soojung picked up her phone and answered the call, "H-hello?"

"Krystal!" It was Peniel's mum, "It's Sohee!"

"What's wrong with Sohee?" Everyone stopped eating, even Xiu Min, "She fell? Which hospital?"

Soojung hanged up the call and abruptly stood up, "I'm sorry. I...I need go."

She got up and left the table, pushing Luhan and Sehun aside.

"Is she driving in that state?" Chanyeol asked, worried.

"Sehun! Go!" Kai shouted at his best friend.

Sehun snapped out of his trance and ran after Soojung. He saw her outside, fiddling with the car keys. He took the key from her and pressed the lock button, "I'll drive."

Sehun opened the door and gently pushed Soojung inside the passenger's seat.

"Where are we heading too?" He asked as he starts the engine.

Soojung didn't reply him, "Soojung!"

Soojung snapped out of her thoughts and replied him, "H-hospital."

Sehun drove out to the main road but stopped since he didn't know the way, "Which way?"

"Left, then go straight before making a right turn at the junction," Soojung gave the directions before pulling out her phone, "Oppa! Come to the hospital. Sohee, she's in the hospital."

Sehun overheard the conversation and couldn't help but feel curious about who Sohee was. *Is she their daughter? If it's true then you've lost her Oh Sehun.*