CHAPTER 3

High School Zero

 

“KRYS! Breakfast is ready!” Sooyeon unnie shouted from the kitchen. I did my usual routine and joined my sister in the dining room.

“Where’s Dad?” I asked.

“Business trip,” she simply replied.

"Sica I need to tell you something," I said timidly, "A friend is coming over later to do out project."

"Sounds good," Sooyeon replied without looking at me.

"The thing is that no one in school except Jongin knew about the real me!" I exclaimed.

Sooyeon unnie placed her magazine down and looked straight at me, "so you're telling me that the Soojung in school is the fake Soojung? Don't be silly! I'm sure your friend will understand. Jongin is probably waiting outside. Off to school now!"

I was busy racking my brain trying to figure a way to prevent Sehun from knowing my true identity while Jongin was telling me about his competition. The last thing I want is to let the entire student body know that Jung Sunho is my dad. I have had enough of unwanted attention from his clients.

"Ya! Are you even listening to me?" Jongin flicked my forehead. I flinched at the pain and glared at him.

"Whatever. Anyway, I heard from Sehun that there's gonna be a history project. You guys are partners right?" Kai wiggled his eyebrows. I rolled my eyes at his childishness. "Who's mine?"

"Son Naeun," I simply replied.

"The annoying queenka?! Are you serious?" Kai shouted. "That's retribution for ditching me yesterday!"

"Hey! At least you finally get to spend time with your boy," he said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"He's not my boy!" I smacked his head.

"Oh believe. He will soon be!"

How is that possible? I asked him and myself that question. Sehun & I met when I first joined the class. He has been my seatmate since my first year in high school and the only thing he ever said to me was Hi or Bye. Nothing else. I bet he wouldn't even know of my existence if I wasn't his seatmate.

"Don't be such a drama queen Junggie! You're beautiful and I'm sure Sehun thinks so too," Jongin gave me one of his signature winks which every girls would die for.

"Have fun in History class later Kai!" I mocked at him. I could hear him grumble as he made his way to his locker first.

As I was taking out my English book from my locker, I felt somebody tap my shoulders, "How's your leg? You ran all the way from the classroom to the bakery yesterday." There he is again, leaning by his locker, speaking to me.

"I-I'm fine. Sooyeon unnie bandaged it up for me last night," I replied nervously. "Let me walk you to class," he offered, "Is the project date still on?"

Project date? Date? Did he just said the word date?

"Err Soojung? Are you okay?" Sehun waved his hands in front of my face.

"Huh? Yeah! I've asked my sister for permission and she's okay with it."

"Great!" Sehun smiled widely.

The two of us stepped into the classroom together. I swore I felt someone burning a hole through my body. True to what I've thought, Son Naeun was giving me the death glare. I rolled my eyes at her and proceed to my seat.

I soon received a text message as I was playing around with my phone. I checked who it is from and low-and-behold, it's none other Naeun.

Ya! Who do you think you are? First, you came to school with Kao everyday ever since you joined us and now Sehun's walking you to class? Did you seduce them or something? - Naeun.

And once again I rolled my eyes. Retard. I said to myself in English, loud enough for Naeun to hear.

"Ya American girl! What did you say? You're in Korea right now in case you've forgotten. So I suggest you keep all those English to yourself!" Naeun shouted at me. Sehun was starting to panic.

Before he could stand up for me, I retort back, "Just so you know Son Naeun, it's English period right now so I have the right to say whatever I want English." I rest my case. I obviously won this time round since Naeun stormed out of the class with her minions tagging behind her and bumping into Kai.

"Ouch! Watch where you're going midgets!" Kai shouted at them.

"Are you okay?" Sehun was worried about me. I told him I was fine. I'm used to all these. It was much worse in America.

"Krys-" I shot a glare at Kai, "I meant Soojung, what happened?"

"The both of them got into a small fight," Sehun answered on my behalf.

Kai gave me one of those looks when Sehun answered for me which earned another smack from me. This time with the thick English textbook.

--

Since the teachers have an important meeting to attend to, we were released earlier than normal. Sehun was already done packing his stuffs and was waiting for both Kai and I.

"Where are we going?" Kai asked.

"We're going to my house to the project," I pointed to Sehun and myself, "As for you, I'm sure you can find someone to entertain your crazy antics. Kyungsoo maybe?"

"Kai oppa!" Naeun's annoying voice filled the quiet classroom.

"Or not," I pat his shoulder and walked out of the classroom with Sehun.

"Ya! Soojung ah! Jung Soojung!"

From outside of the classroom, I could see Naeun clinging on to Kai like a Koala Bear while Kai squirmed at her touch. I let out a soft chuckle and head home with Sehun.