CHAPTER 15

High School Zero

 

Hana's POV

After Soojung and Sehun were done with their history consultation, the four of us walked aimlessly around the neighbourhood near our school. The weather soon started getting colder and since all of us were still in our school uniforms, we decided to call it a day and went home instead.

I bade farewell to both Soojung and Sehun, and walked to the bus stop. *Why is it so cold? This thick blazer isn't even keeping me warm* I ransacked my bag pack hoping to find a hot pack hidden beneath my books. After ransacking my bag, I felt a rectangle plastic underneath my notebook. *Thank god I still have one left!*

I took it out, tore the plastic open and shook the hot pack to heat it up. As my hands were numb from the coldness, it took a longer time than usual for the hot pack to heat up.

I was about to give up when I saw a hot pack right in front of me. I looked up to see who was offering the hot pack to me. To my surprised, Kai was standing in front of me, holding out the hot pack.

"My hands are getting tired. Aren't you going to take it?" Kai asked as his signature shy smile is plastered on his face. I thanked him and took the hot pack. I looked at him and as if he could read my mind, Kai assured me that he have another pack in his blazer.

His next move was something unexpected. Kai grabbed my hands and started rubbing it, "Don't you have any mitten or gloves? Your hands are freezing!"

"Look who's talking. Yours are cold too Jongin, “I said as I rubbed his hands for him instead.

Kai didn't budge when I rubbed his hands. Instead, he was quiet. Awfully quiet. I was about to ask if he was alright but he took my left hand and put on a glove on it. He then took the other side of the glove and put it on his right hand. Once he was done, Kai took my right hand and laced his fingers through it before putting them inside his blazer pocket which have the hot pack in it.

"I like it when you call me Jongin. It feels like we're closer than before," there he goes again, smiling shyly at me. I didn't know what to reply and so I kept quiet. We stood in that position for a good 10 minutes. Finally my bus came and I was about to take out my hands from his pockets but he wouldn't let go. Instead, he walked to both of us to the front of the door and signalled for me to go up first. We both boarded the bus and he paid for my fare.

The two of us sat at the rear of the bus and chatted with each other. I told Kai about my life in America and how I was just like Soojung, a high school zero. But it all changed when I met the three of them.

Kai told me some funny stories about the boys and most of them time, his stories were embarrassing stories of Chanyeol oppa and a little bit of Sehun when they were kids.

After all the chatting, I finally reached my stop. I didn't realise that my hands were still in his pockets until I stood up from my seat. Kai stood up as well and we both went down the bus.

"You stay around here?" I asked Kai.

"My parents live here. I'm staying over this week since they're going overseas for a business trip next week," Kai replied.

I didn't know his parents were rich since most of the people living in my neighbourhood are mostly well-to-do families. Kai dropped me off at my front door and I thanked him for everything.

After showering, I sat in the living and switched on the TV. Although the TV was on, I wasn't paying attention to it. Instead the words Kai said to me at the bus stop rang in my ears. "I like it when you call me Jongin. It feels like we're closer than before." It kept repeating but my thoughts were soon disrupted by my dad.

"What's wrong? It seems like you're in a deep thought," he asked as he caressed my hair. I shook my head and hugged him, "I miss you that's all."

Dinner was soon served and the two of us ate together. I talked to him about Mrs Park and the offered she gave me. He said that it was worth the try and that he would call his lawyer to talk about the contract with Mrs Park and I handed him her business card.

After dinner, I washed up and studied for the upcoming exams. I tried my best to concentrate but I couldn't. My thoughts were filled with Kai. All I could think of was him. I finally gave up and went to bed hoping that all these thoughts would be gone tomorrow morning. But who am I kidding? I know it's going to be there for a really long time.