CHAPTER 8

High School Zero

 

It was the weekend and for the first time, Soojung woke up own her own without having her sister to shout for her to do so. She slowly opened her eyes and scanned her surroundings. This isn’t my room, she thought.

“Ya Kim Jongin! Are trying to burn this apartment down? Lower down the flame!” Kyungsoo’s voice filled the apartment, “Forget it. Pour the milk into the glasses while I cook these bacons.”

Finally Soojung remembered that she spent the night at the boys’ apartment. She was about to get up from the bed when Soojung spot a small post-it stuck on the screen of her S3.

Morning Junggie! I bought a new pair of pants for you. It’s on top of the drawers on the left. I’m not too sure if it’s your size though. My old sweatshirt is in the drawers, you can pick any of them. I bought you a new toothbrush too. It’s in the washroom along with your towels. Come out for breakfast once you’re done :D – Kkamjong

Soojung was touched by what Jongin did for her. She reminded herself to thank both of the boys later before proceeding into the washroom for a shower.

Soojung’s POV

After the long shower, I finally stepped out of the room, only to be greeted by two boys who were dying from hunger.

“What took you so long? I’m hungry!” Kyungsoo oppa grumbled. I meekly bowed my head as a form of apologies. “Let’s eat!”

After breakfast, I offered to wash the dishes. Kyungsoo oppa refused since he didn’t want any of his precious dishes to be broken by me. The last time I tried washing the dishes, I broke his favourite cup and from that day on, he wouldn’t allow me near the sink.

It was nearly 1PM and I figured that unnie would be worried sick about me by now. I told the boys that I’ll be leaving now. Jongin wanted to send me home but I declined since he has done a lot for me. I bade goodbye and thanked them for letting me stay over.

I walked to the bus stop and waited for 5 minutes before the bus came. After 6 stops, I finally reached my neighbourhood. I walked past Mrs Kim’s flower shop and her granddaughter gave me a hug while her grandson gave me a stalk of white rose. I decided to spend some time with them and help Mrs Kim at the shop.

It was 3PM by the time I served the last customer before I finally left the shop. Right now, I really didn’t want to go home. Who knows if that Miyeon woman is still at my house? And if she is, I wouldn’t want my sister to face her alone. I’m sure two ice princesses can handle one model right? I quickened my pace and finally my house was insight. What surprised me was that a familiar figure was standing outside my gate. Sehun.

Sehun’s POV

It’s already 3PM and Soojung is still not home. I’ve waited for 2 hours outside her gate but she’s still not home. I was about to give Kai a call to confirm that she left 2 hours ago when I heard someone calling my name. “Sehun!” that voice, I can recognise it whenever and wherever. There she is, slowly walking towards me, holding a stalk of white rose.

I ran towards and pulled her into my embrace. “How are you?” I asked. She assured me that she was fine. I walked her into the house. One of the maids opened the door for us. I saw Mr Jung watching TV in the living room with that woman. I greeted him but totally ignored that woman beside him, “Do you mind if I bring her up to her room sir?”

He gave me the permission. I saw Mr Jung standing up from his seat and wanting to check on Soojung but that woman told him not to since the movie is starting and that Soojung is big enough to take care of herself. The moment those words came out of , I felt like beating the crap out of her but Soojung already made her way up to her room.

Sooyeon noona trailed behind me. I looked at her and she gave me a small smile. We were standing outside Soojung’s room. She left the door open slightly to allow any of us to enter. “Go on in,” Sooyeon noona rubbed my arms and encouraged me to step into the room. Before I close the door behind me, Sooyeon noona told me to bring Soojung to her room once Soojung felt better.

When I walked in, Soojung was sitting by the windows, staring at the view outside her room, the white rose in a vase in front of her. There was a playground and children were playing with their friends and mothers were sitting at the sides, looking at their children mingling around with other kids.

I saw a tear trickled down her cheeks. I don’t understand why, but when I saw those tears, I felt pain. I hated seeing her like this. It was much worse compared to how she was like in school. In school, she seems alone but it doesn’t seem like she’s really lonely. But now, she looks so lonely, fragile like a glass. She looks like she’s going to break into a million pieces.

I couldn’t stand watching her like that. I hugged her and tried my best to comfort her. Although it wasn’t much, she soon stopped crying. I wiped the traces of tears on her cheeks. I hate seeing her like this.

“My mum,” she started to speak, “I miss her. I want to go back to America and live with her. I miss Yunho Oppa. I don’t want Dad to marry that woman. Sehun, I want to go home. This place doesn’t feel like home anymore.”

She told me about her family. For once, I saw her in a different light. Just like other girls, she yearns for a mother’s love. For once, the nickname Ice Princess doesn’t fit her. I finally understood the reason why she choose to keep to herself, the reason why she choose Kai as her best friend is because, she knows that way, the chances of her getting hurt is highly unlikely.

“Soojung,” I cupped her face so that she’s facing me right now, “Can I be part of your life too? Maybe more than just a friend. Jung Soojung, I really like you.”