Tuesday Afternoon

Feel so Bad

You watch Dongwoo from outside of the dance room. The floor is polished wood and two of the walls are mirrors. The light is bright and in the back of the room, there is a large remote controlled stereo where the music plays. You glance at your phone. It's 1:35. The dance session that Dongwoo taught was supposed to be over five minutes ago, but Dongwoo is helping a teenage boy work with a difficult dance spin that the boy is having trouble with. You wait patiently, mesmerized by how good of a dancer Dongwoo is. He makes it look so effortless.

After a few more minutes of squeaking shoes on the wooden floor boards, Dongwoo pats him on the back and then says, "Looks good Min Jun-ah. Practice the routine up to this part at home and then you should be ahead of the group by Thursday's session."

"Kamsahamnida, Dongwoo-seonsaeng-nim." Dongwoo smiles at his title and bumps fists with Min Jun. The boy grabs his bag and leaves, wiping his sweat with his t-shirt sleeve.

"Great job, Dongwoo-seonsaeng-nim," you say smiling as you enter the studio. Dongwoo looks up at you and stops patting the sweat on the back of his neck while gulping down water from a near-empty water bottle. He stands up and smiles at you.

"Hey! Sorry, ~~~-sshi. I wanted to help the kid out. He's pretty talented. You ready to go grab some lunch?"

"Nthe."

"Let me run to the bathroom quick."

The bathroom is just across the hallway so you decide to sit on the bench and wait for him.

Dongwoo goes into the bathroom and rummages around in his duffel bag for his clean shirt. He quickly strips off the sweaty shirt and walks over to the nearest paper towel dispenser. He grabs some paper towels and pats at the small beads of sweat on his face and bare chest. Then he grabs a stick of deodorant and rubs it underneath his arms.

Dongwoo shrugs on the shirt and makes sure he looks presentable. Why do you want to look presentable, Dongwoo? You're trying to get ~~~ and Sunggyu back together. It's not like it's an official date or something, he thinks to himself. Funny how I'm making sure I look okay for ~~~. She looked cute today. Too bad my green shirt doesn't match her blue one... Why am I thinking that? We're not a couple. We don't have to match. Aish, Jang Dongwoo...Dongwoo sighed and made sure his hair was cool. Then he put his duffel bag in a locker and left the bathroom.

While Dongwoo went into the bathroom, there was nothing for you to look at so you decided to flip through your pictures on your phone. The first picture is of you and In Jae eating the patbingsu from yesterday. The picture shown after that one is of you and Sunggyu. You pause and stare at it silently. It is of you and Sunggyu both with a hand on a grand piano. You smiled at the camera while Sunggyu had kissed your cheek in the shot. You hadn't known he was going to kiss you in the picture. This had been when you had gone to your uncle's music store in Hongdae...

 

The door bell chimed as Sunggyu opened the door to the music store. Sunggyu held the door open for you while he stood underneath the overhang, protecting him from the rain. As soon as you placed a foot into the store, you looked back and reached for Sunggyu's hand to pull him in. He took it willingly and drew you close, "You sure you're uncle won't mind if we wait out the rain in his store?"

"Geurumyo. I used to work here when I was a teenager and Uncle's really nice."

"Too bad it rained, I wanted to walk with you around town today," Sunggyu said as he looked at the dark rain outside. You ruffled his cute bangs.

"You can still spend time with me, we'll just be indoors today."

"Alright." Then a short, perky man in his late-fifties came to the cashier. He wore a black polo shirt with blue jeans. He looked at you and recognized you immediately. Your uncle smiled as he left his position at the cashier behind the check-out desk and came to hug you. You let go of Sunggyu's hand and go to your uncle.

"Annyeonghasaeyo ahjusshi!"

"~~~-ah! It's good to see you again! How have you been?"

"I've been good. Ahjusshi, this is Kim Sunggyu."

At the mentioning of his name, Sunggyu bowed to your uncle and smiled, "Annyeonghasaeyo, ahjusshi. Jeoneun Kim Sunggyu-iminida."

Your uncle looked at you. "Is this your boyfriend, ~~~-ah?"

"Nthe, ahujusshi."

"Kim Sunggyu-ah...he seems like he'll be good to you," your uncle nodded his approval at Sunggyu which made Sunggyu give an eye smile.

"Kamsahamnida, ahjusshi."

"~~~-ah, do your parents know?"

"Ara. I wouldn't hide Sunggyu-oppa as a secret." Your uncle smiled.

Then Sunggyu said, " Ahjusshi, if we stay here until the rain ends, gwenchanayo?"

Your uncle pretended to be taken aback, "Gureumyo! I know my musi store isn't much, but please stay as long as you like."

"Kamsahamnida."

"Gomowoyo, ahjusshi."

He smiled at the two of you. Then the door bell rang and your uncle bustled over to help the new customer.

Sunggyu looked around at the small store and shuffled his slghtly damp sweater. "So what do you want to do first, ~~~-ah?" You looked around and saw a door in the back of the room. You looked Sunggyu in the eye and took his hand. He raised an eyebrow and you just smiled. You led him to the back of the room as you wove around the cluttered musical instruments. As you turned the doorknob and opened the door to a dark room, Sunggyu pulled your hand back.

"~~~-ah, I don't think-"

As he spoke, you fumbled to look for the lightswitch. You finally managed to flip it on. In front of you both was a polished, black grand piano. You turned around and faced Sunggyu. "'You don't think' what, oppa?"

Sunggyu took in the small room that had great acoustics with a piano in the middle.He stammered, "Oh...Ani. Aniyo.  I thought you were-that you wanted to-never mind ~~~-ah. Mian," he said as he scratched the back of his neck while smiling at you. You admired his bicep for a moment and then realized what he had thought of before you had the light. He had thought that you had wanted a make-out session in the dark with him.

Your jaw dropped and you let go of his hand. You knocked teasingly on his firm chest underneath his collarbone."Yah, oppa! I wouldn't do that! Andwae! This is my uncle's shop! I wouldn't do that to you here!"

Sunggyu bit his lip in embarassment and looked at the floor, then his lips curl into a sly smile and he looked at you. "Where would you do that to me then?"

You rolled your eyes at him and laughed. Sunggyu laughed along with you and then wrapped his arms around your waist from behind. You turned your head to your right and Sunggyu gave you a light, sweet kiss on your lips. You smiled and then he let go of you. Sunggyu went over and sat down on the piano seat. He sat on the lower end so that you could play the higher notes on the higher end.

"What song should we play?" you asked. Sunggyu moved his head from side to side as he thought it over.

"Do you know my solo on Over the Top? "Because"?"

"Gureumyo!" you pout a little as you nudged his arm playfully, "What kind of girlfriend would I be if I didn't?

"Omo, did I just get some aegyo from you, ~~~-ah?"

You gasped in mock shock ad shake your head, giving Sunggyu puppy dog eyes. "Ani, oppa!" Then he bursts out in laughter and you join him in your regular voice, dropping the aegyo.

"Oppa, if you want to play "Because", I haven't played it on the piano before."

"Gwenchana. I'll teach you."

You flexed your fingers which were painted with a nice, clear coating and then you put your right hand above the piano. Sunggyu took your wrist gently and moved your hand over to the correct black and white keys. With your hand in his, you silently took note that both of your hands were about the same size, with the exception of your fingers a bit thinner than his.

Sunggyu then rested your fingers on the keys. His hand lied on top of yours and you plinked on the keys together slowly. After a few minutes of you memorizing the notes with Sunggyu's help, you were playing it very well. You were playing the higher, piano part that drives throughout the whole song without change.

Sunggyu played the lower part and then, when both of you could coordinate the tempo and notes, you both stopped to prepare.

"Ready?"

You nodded, very focused, "Mm."

"Hana, dul...set."

The two of you played beautifully whle Sunggyu sang. After playing and listening to him sing up to the first chorus alone, you sang along to the parts that he normally left to the recording during the live performances. When you were done, you smiled and rested on Sunggyu's shoulder. "That's such a good song, but it's so sad..."

You felt Sunggyu's head, which rested on top of yours, nod in agreement. "We should play something happy. Haengbokhe norae."

"We should do naego haja!" You felt Sunggyu sit up. You looked at him.

"Andwae. Mollayo. I don't know how to play that one."

"I'll teach you. I've been practicing."

"Be Mine" took a little longer to learn than "Because", but it had been fun singing to it with Sunggyu. Sunggyu had let you open the song by singing L's part. The two of you switched parts when it came to the different members. You laughed like crazy when Sunggyu got to Hoya and Dongwoo's rapping part. Sunggyu couldn't rap to save his life. He smiled with embarassment while he continued to try, knowing he looked like a fool.

After playing the piano and singing together for a little over two hours, you decided that you wanted to take a picture to remember how much fun the two of you had spent together at your uncle's store. You took out your phone and Sunggyu and you posed. "Hana, dul, set!"

When you said "set!" you felt Sunggyu's lips on your cheek as the camera clicked. You grinned even broader and put the phone in your lap. You looked at Sunggyu. He smiled and grabbed the phone on your lap, brushing your thigh gently. He clicked a few buttons to view it and then smiled.

"Joahae. Do you?"

You looked over and saw the picture and sighed with happiness. You entertwined your fingersand said, "Kyopta. I'll keep it."

 

 

 

 

You hear someone coming out of the bathroom. You quickly exit out of your phone gallery and look up. It's Dongwoo. "Ready for lunch?"

"Yes. I'm starving."

"Oh! We better go then! Kaja!' he speed walks away as you're still getting off of the bench.

"Wait for me!"

"Baili, ~~~-ah!" he shouts back with his hands cupped around his large mouth.

You smile at his dorkiness, and walk briskly towards Dongwoo. As you exit the sports center building and meet up with him who has waited outside for you, you can't shake off the longing feeling that the picture of you and Sunggyu at your uncle's store gave you. If it's not impossible, it is going to take a long time to erase the feelings that you still have for Sunggyu...