Wednesday Evening (3)

Feel so Bad

 In Jae steps through the door. She is holding two large platters of plastic wrapped foods and is holding the door open with her elbow. You have to admit that she looks ridiculously cute.

Sunggyu was always the faster one of you two and he immediately rushes over to help her. You feel a small pain that you and Sunggyu couldn't have spent more time alone, but then again, it was Seunghoon's birthday.

In Jae saw Sunggyu coming towards her and she almost dropped her food. She looks bewildered. "Omo! Sunggyu-ssi! Mwo-wae-?"

"Annyeonghasaeyo In Jae-ssi. Ah, Seunghoon-hyung is my cousin. I was invited," Sunggyu explains as he takes one of the platters and holds the door for her.

Despite your best friend's arrival, you only have eyes for Sunggyu's gentleman act. In Jae manages to compose herself after the unexpected surprise, behind Sunggyu's back. She walks into the room with ease since Sunggyu has the other stuff. She sets her tray down on the large table and then looks around the decorated room.

"Woh! Jincha! It looks really nice with the balloons and everything!" In Jae exclaims.

You smile and say, "Sunggyu-oppa and I did it." In Jae looks conspicuously between you and Sunggyu, who is on her left setting the food down.

She turns to Sunggyu and says, "Sunggyu-ssi, the red looks really nice on you." Sunggyu smiles and then In Jae continues, "I still have some stuff in the taxi, could you grab it while me and ~~~-unni prepare the stuff here?"

Sunggyu nods and In Jae hands him the money that she owes the taxi driver for her fare. "Kamsahamnidaaa!" In Jae says with a slight aegyo. He heads out and shuts the door behind him.

In Jae turns to you with her aegyo dropped. In Jae is still sweet, but you know the real her. Here it comes, you think. She asks immediately, "What's Sunggyu-oppa doing here?"

You go over towards her to help unwrap the food. "Just like he told you. Seunghoon-ssi is his cousin, I guess." In Jae looks at you with confusion. You huff in frustration. "Aish, jincha molla! I really didn't know he'd be here!" you say defensively.

"Arasseo, no need to be like that...hajima, why is he here so early?"

In Jae has stopped preparing the food and is looking at you. You avoid her gaze and continue unwrapping and setting plates and spoons. You shrug, "He said that Seunghoon texted him the wrong time."

In Jae her head in wonder with her eyebrows furrowed. "That's such a coincidence."

You think to yourself. You have no idea, In Jae.

"Mianhe unni. Jincha molla. I really didn't know. Neoreul...gwenchana?"

You stop and look at her.

Her black hair was straightened with a braid on one side. Her make-up highlighted her natural pale beauty and she was wearing a purple and greenish blue sequined short dress with white flats. She wore a white cardigan on top so she wouldn't be reavealing too much of her upper torso.

                

You notice and see that she's gotten her nails done. You ignore her questions and reach for her hand. "Woh, uri In Jae-ah yeppeoda..." you say smiling at her.

In Jae sees how you avoid the question and she smiles sadly at the compliment. She puts her other hand on top of yours and looks at you. "Gwenchanayo?"

You sigh. She isn't letting this go. You respond, "Nthe, In Jae-ah. Gwenchana. It...It's nice seeing him again."

In Jae looks at you worriedly, and you smile to reassure her. You check yourself and you realize that it's the truth. You had really missed seeing Sunggyu. It felt nice to be near him again, even if things are different now. In Jae slowly lets it go and you say, "Koktchong hajima. Don't worry about me."

 She looks at you with pursed lips, but then she flips it into a sweet smile and says, "Arasseo.... So, I guess it's just another night. It's Seunghoon oppa's birthday. And we're preparing for all the people coming."

You nod at her and move down to prepare the table by the couch on the lower level. Arranging the napkins and plastic cups, you think to yourself. Maybe, if everything went okay, you could treat tonight as if you and Sunggyu are good friends.

Then the door opens and Sunggyu returns to the room with his hands full, "I have the rest of it." In Jae turns to smile at Sunggyu and you turn slowly to him as well.

"Kamsahamnida Sunggyu-ssi!" she says and goes over to help him. You go back up to help her and you notice that Sunggyu had put his black beanie on his bright red hair again.

In Jae takes a bag of dish ware from him and you take the drinks from him. Your hand brushes his slightly. His hands are very cold. Probably from being outside. It must be cold by now since it is November.

You and Sunggyu both look at each other.

In Jae is busy and doesn't take notice. You drop your gaze downwards to shift the crate of drinks to ease the strain of weight. You look back to Sunggyu and say with quiet concern, "Omo, your hands are cold, oppa."

He looks down at his now empty hands and flexes his fingers from curling tightly around the drink crate. "Gwenchana." You watch his hands.

You had loved his hands. He thought it was his best feature, and you had to agree. His hands give a very masculine, sturdy feel. But from experience, you knew they were soft, warm, and slightly larger than yours.

You turn to lug the heavy crate on to the table and then brush your hands on your dress. You go down to the couch in front of the karaoke screen and reach into your pocket of your black dress coat. You fingers reach some soft knitted material.

Sunggyu sees and walks over to you. You feel a bit nervous, but you pull out a pair of brown knitted mittens and hand them to Sunggyu. "Want to wear them?" you ask modestly. Sunggyu takes them and smiles at you.

"Kamsahamnida," he says. You manage a grin back at his big smile. In the back of the noraebang, In Jae has been silently watching the two of you and she smiles to herself, hoping for everything to go smoothly tonight.