Wednesday Late Afternoon

Feel so Bad

You recall your conversation with your giddy best friend, In Jae, as you walk on the sidewalks under a clear and sunny sky. The two of you had had lunch together and she had handed you a large bag of party supplies. She was arranging the food so she would be late to help with the decorations. She would keep clapping her hands in excitement while you ate your noodles with some silver chopsticks.

After lunch, you had gone home and changed for the party. You were wearing a dress with a pink ruffled top and a slim black skirt. You had curled your hair and put on some false lashes and some make-up. You threw on some bracelets and earrings and pulled on some black strappy heels. You had to admit that you looked good.

However, the last time you had worn the heels was on your last date with Sunggyu. He always wanted your heels to make you shorter than him. This pair was one of them. In the mirror, you stared conciously at your shoes. Then you had checked your height. Sunggyu would've been happy that he was taller than you. You frowned and squeezed your eyes shut. Don't think about Sunggyu. Not tonight. Not on Kim Seunghoon's birthday. You had shaken off the memories and then left your room.

After grabbing your coat, purse, and In Jae's bag; you had left your apartment and then took a taxi to the Hongdae side. After paying the taxi driver, you have been walking for about ten minutes, looking around for the karaoke house.

You look down at the large purple bag on your right shoulder. There are tons of streamers, balloons, confetti, tablecloths, and plastic hanging decorations. Did In Jae expect you to use them all? It was just a noraebang. You smile at how happy she was and look ahead as you walk on.

You take your Samsung Galaxy S III out of your purse on your left shoulder. It reads 5:36 p.m. You unlock the phone screen and nod to yourself. The party started at 6:30. You had a little under an hour to decorate. That would be plenty of time. You open your text message inbox and check In Jae's text for the address. XXXX XXXXXXX XXXXX, Hongdae. You keep scanning the buildings on your right looking for the address numbers.

You stop in front of a building. This building address is close to the address number, but it is an odd numbered building. The noraebang was an even numbered building. That meant that the noraebang was across the street. Hongdae wasn't very busy right now, but in about half and hour it would be busy since it would be rush hour.

There is a good amount of people on your side of the road, but not enough where everyone is brushing each other. You see the other side is the same case.

You quickly cross the road since there are barely any cars. You notice a man crossing the road in the opposite direction of you. He looks exactly like Sunggyu. Same height, posture, with brown hair, but he had a large scarf on his face so you couldn't see his entire face. You slow in the middle of the sreet, staring at the man as he passes you, but then a car honks at you and you keep moving.

You get to the other side and turn back to look for the man, but he is gone. You're slightly saddened, but you change your mind about the coincidence. You walk slowly across the wide sidewalk towards the noraebang, avoiding bumping into people with the big, bulky purple bag. The noraebang is quite a nice place actually, the bright lights and music coming out weren't overwhelming like other noraebang's that you've been to.

There is a man in front of the door with his back to you. He's wearing a black beanie that cover his hair and a brown leather jacket with white cotton for the cuffings on his wrists and neck. He has dark blue skinny jeans on and some sneakers.

He looks like he's peering into the store, but unsure of to go in. You need to go in right now so that you can start decorating. You push on and then, when you're near enough to the man, you smell a delicious, slightly cinnamon cologne. It smelled like the one that Sunggyu always wore on your dates. You remember the first time he had worn the scent...

 

You and Sunggyu were sitting in the middle section of a movie theater. There weren't too many people in the theater yet because you and Sunggyu had arrived thirty minutes before the movie started. Sunggyu sat on your left and his hand was on the armrest. His head rested on the comfy back of the chair and he smiled, watching you while you told him about your day.

When you finish, you smell something good. You lean in towards him and sniff. Sunggyu smelled of a delicious warm apple cinnamon spice. You said, "Oppa smells really good today."

Sunggyu had raised his eyebrows and you nod in embarassment and bite your lips. "If I wear this more often, will you let me hold you more?"

You laughed, "Yes, definitley oppa." Then he dropped his sweet gaze and you wondered why. He looked down and you followed his gaze to see the arm rest between you two. He took his muscular forearm off and then raised the reclinable armrest in between the two movie chairs. Then he shifted himself towards you and you smiled in realization.

He was using this excuse to hold you now. Sunggyu gave a slightly smug smile. You obliged and you rested your head on his broad shoulder and entertwined your fingers with his. Now closer to him, you inhaled deeply, taking in his wonderful scent as Sunggyu put an arm around you, cradling you dearly. He had rested his head on top of yours and everything was perfect...

 

Sunggyu had worn that cologne on every date after that. The scent coming off from the man now, smelled very similar to the apple cinnamon. You changed your mind telling yourself that it was your high heels that made you remember him today, and if not that, then it ust have been the look alike who had crossed the street, causing this scent to smell like Sunggyu.

Whatever the cause, you are troubled by how much you miss Sunggyu today and are slightly upset that the world decided to throw in a bunch of little jokes for you to think about him. You take a few more steps towards the noraebang. You have a birthday party to decorate ~~~! Get to it! Don't let some man block your way. Just ask him to move. You walk a little closer to the stranger and say bluntly, "Chwesunghamnida, I need to-"

The stranger turns around and you stop speaking. Your eyes widen and your mind goes blank. You can't believe what is happening. After all the efforts to try to push him out of your mind today, it's as if it was all for nothing. The all too familiar man is in between you and the noraebang and you breathe, "Sunggyu-oppa?"