Friday Afternoon

Feel so Bad

The glass doors of the sports center shut behind you as you walk outside. You look out at the busy Friday afternoon of Seoul and sigh. You hear a girl cry, "~~~-unnie!" and then the shout is followed with the sound of opening doors.

You turn around to see your best friend, In Jae. She is running to catch up with you. She is wearing her purple uniform shirt. "Mwoya? What is it?" you ask. She puts a hand on your shoulder and huffs from running. The way she is huffing, you would think that she was a member of the sports center doing some cardio excersizes or something.

With her other arm, she hands you a scarf. "You forgot your scarf in the staff locker room."

You look at the scarf and take it from her. "Gomawo," you say with a smile. You can't help but smile at your cheery friend. Her love life is going wonderfully with your manager, Seunghoon. Unlike yours.

Maybe that's why you've been a bit forgetful lately.

In Jae smiles back at you with a happy eye-smile, "Leave safely! I have to go back to work!" Then she gives you a double-handed wave and skips back inside.

You are still holding your scarf in your hand, watching her as she disappears behind the glass doors. You look down at the scarf and drape it around your neck expertly. Your neck instantly feels warmer in the chilly November air.

You take out your phone to check your reflection and then sigh. In your reflection, you notice that your hair is getting long. Now would be a good time for change.

You know of a hair salon down the street so you walk on the nicely paved sidewalk amongst the other few pedestrians in Seoul.

When you get in, you say hello to the short lady working there and ask how long of a wait there is. She says about an hour.

You have nothing to do today, so you tell her to schedule you for 1:15 p.m. and then you leave the salon. You go out and see a dukkbokki stand with a bench nearby. You look both ways and then cross the street briskly to the stand.

You ask the ahjumma for a tray and then eat it slowly even though you haven't eaten lunch yet. You look at your Samsung Galaxy S III and realize that you still have plenty time.

You sigh causing a puff of steam to escape from your lips. You smile remembering how you and Sunggyu had eaten hoddeuk at the noraebang with puffs of steam. Your heart flutters at the memory. You wrap your arms around yourself and realize that you miss him.

You shake your head at yourself. You shouldn't be thinking about Sunggyu now. He has to finish up his solo promotions. He has an idol life to live. You have to move on with the fact that you and Sunggyu will never be together and that you'll always miss him.

You ignore the tangled thoughts in your mind and look at your surroundings. The sky is very cloudy. It will mostly likely start snowing later. You could walk to the park. It isn't far from where you are.

As you are on your way to the park in Seoul, you hear your phone tinkling. You take your phone out of your purse while walking and see a text. You're somewhat surprised since these past couple of days, no one has contacted you.

When you look at the sender, your eyebrows rise.

It's from Woohyun.

You look up and see the park nearby. You go and sit on a nearby wooden bench and re-adjust your coat to warm your body. It's a bit chillier here. It's probably because the river is near by.

You look at the land of the park and you see an imaginary "you" and "Sunggyu" walking down a path with hands held, sitting on the grass laughing in each others arms, eating ice cream and boba tea together...

You close your eyes. You would just have to reminisce the good memories. You look down at your phone, remembering the text message from Woohyun.

You open it and read it:

Woohyun: Annyeong~! ^.^

You respond:

You: Annyeong oppa! What's up?

You set your phone down and wait for his response. After a few minutes, your phone tinkles again and you pick it up to read it:

Woohyun: I'm at practice. Are you busy today???

You: I have a hair appointement at 1:15 and won't be done until 1:45-ish. Waeyo?

Woohyun: Can you go to the library in Seoul today?

You: What time?

Woohyun: 2:00?

You: Arasseo! I have to go now! Annyeong!

You check the time. It's almost 1:00. You leave the park with one last glance at the late-autumn lawn and turn to head back into the city.

You go to the well-furbished salon and ask for layers and face frames in your hair. It takes about twenty minutes and the short woman cutting your hair makes small talk with you. The topic of her boyfriend comes up and the way she chatters giddily makes your heart feel a bit dampened.

You press on a smile, and even though you miss Sunggyu, it's nice to hear someone who's in love.

Your hair cut is finished and the woman spins you in the large leather swivel chair to make sure you like it.

Looking at your reflection, you take your new self in. You look different. It's good to start a new. Especially now. A little reminder goes off in your head of Sunggyu loving your longer hair, but you cast your eyes away from your relfection to ignore it.

"Kamsahamnida," you say politely.

You walk with her to the counter and pay for your new hair style.

You open the door and then walk out. It has gotten a bit colder, but it's still bearable to walk outside. It helps that there's no wind.

You check your Samsung Galaxy S III for the time. It's 1:50 p.m. You look down the road. There are less people out now than there were before.

You can still make it to the library.

You walk briskly up town past the park you were at earlier and towards the grander buildings. You wait for a few crosswalks and then go ahead.

While checking for cars, people, scooters, and dogs, you wonder what it is Woohyun wants to talk about. Why the library?

You turn a corner and the end of the library is on your left. It's a large light brown building with four stories. There are large, round clocks on the side as you go towards the main doors. You check the time.

 

It's just 2:05. You walk down to get closer to the entrance. The library is on your left and you are on the sidewalk. Some planted trees are on your right and then there is the road.

You look for a familiar face as you continue walking alone. You see someone coming towards you.

He has bright red hair.

You slow your walk and the 'clop' of your shoes stop. You look at Sunggyu walking towards you as he looks across the street.

He hasn't seen you yet.

Why is he here? Frozen in place, you think about turning around, but then Sunggyu notices that your shoe noises have stopped and the city is silent. He turns from looking at the street to you.

You see acknowledgement in his eyes as he slows to a stop as well. He is still a good distance from you. Maybe this is a mere coincidence and he is just passing through.

You bite your lips and inhale through your nose. Your heart is pounding at the sight of him. Coincidence or not, you want to talk to him. You want to speak with him so badly. You want to tell him you're sorry.

Knowing that ending his dream is your fault, you won't ask him to take you back. That was selfish. But if he wanted to get back with you...why would he even want to?

Before you realize it, Sunggyu is in front of you. The two of you had slowly managed to meet up together in front of the library's main entrance. You both stop walking and look at each other.

"Hey," Sunggyu says.

Your emotions are so overwhelmed at his one word. Happiness and sorrow were combined with so many others, that you can't even muster a smile. "Hi," you say.

You drop your gaze and look around. You can feel him looking at you. A cold gust of wind rustles your hair and you swallow as you hug yourself for warmth. The silence is broken by him. "You got a haircut."

You nod slowly and press a smile. Silence falls again in the chilly afternoon. Why doesn't he leave? Then you wonder, why aren't you leaving?

You then stammer, "S-Sunggyu-oppa." You look at Sunggyu's handsome face and look into his eyes. You can feel hot tears form in your eyes as you continue, ".......Chongmal mianhe. I'm so sorry. For everything."

It's the first time you've told him that since it had occured. You have to explain to him that you know everything.

"For your solo promotions, for leaving you when you needed me most, for hurting you...Mianhe. You don't have to forgive me. I wouldn't be able to forgive the person who ended my dream for a long time and I don't expect you to. I just want you to know that I'm so sorr-"

You are cut off as Sunggyu leans in for your lips to meet his. Your eyes widen in alarm as he kisses you fully. You slowly close your eyes as your lips fit his perfect mold for yours and you kiss him back. You feel a hot tear run down your cold face.

He cups a hand behind your neck and you wrap your arms around his. With his kiss is all the sorrow the two of you have shared apart and all the happiness that you both want to return to. The coldness of the day and your life without him are all melted by his love and kiss as he is in your arms.

He pulls away and pecks you softly on the cheek. Still holding you with your face next to his, he whispers, "I missed you so much ~~~-ah."

Your eyes close at the way he calls your name. With the kiss, you and Sunggyu had forgiven each other's mistakes and had accepted that you would share the future ahead of you both. Large, fluffy snowflakes start falling to form a fresh blanket of snow and pure happiness spreads within you as you hold Sunggyu close and whisper, "Saranghae."