Wednesday Night (Part 2)

Feel so Bad

"Aniyo. You just look pretty tonight," Sunggyu says.

Your lips part quickly into a smile and seeing it, Sunggyu smiles embarrasedly. You look at him and see that he's avoiding your gaze. "You look nice tonight too," you offer, looking at Sunggyu's handsome face.  

"Thanks," Sunggyu responds.

"So, um, how's promotions and everything?" you ask while fiddling with your manicured nails.

Sunggyu squints his eyes and purses his lips while looking at the sky. "It's going good. But my schedule's packed right now. Especially since CUBE Entertainment wants to have a K-Pop collaboration thing before the end of the year."

You furrow your eyebrows and say, "But you work for Woolim. Waeyo?"

"Woolim wants us to do it for publicity and all."

"Woh! Hajima, jincha himduro! But it's so hard for you! Especially because you have solo promotions jigeum."

"Arasseo," he responds.

All of a sudden, you're worried for him. You don't want him to stress out with work since you knew that his health wasn't always top notch. "Jincha.." you say with annoyance. You end up making an upset smile.

Sunggyu looks at you with amusement. "Waeyo?"

You sigh and then mentally recompose yourself. You smooth out your black skirt and then look at Sunggyu. "How could Woolim make you work so hard? Eotteokke?"

Sunggyu smiled. "You don't like watching me on tv?"

Your eyes flutter widely and ou immediately shake your head. "Aniyo! That's not what I meant-"

Sunggyu laughs, "Then don't worry about me. Koktchong hajima. I'll be fine." You look at Sunggyu smiling at you and give him an 'are-you-serious' look.

Andwaeyo. I can't stop worrying. You wish you could tell Sunggyu that, but there's something in you that won't let you.

After a few moments of silence, your stomach growls loudly. Your eyes widen and you bite your lips in embarassment. Sunggyu smiles softly. He asks nicely with eyebrows raised, "You hungry?"

Before you can respond, he gets up and walks down to the sidewalk. "Eodi kaya? Where are you going?" you ask, starting to get up.

He turns around back to you and smiles kindly. "You can stay there. I'll be right back."

You watch him leave and you slowly sit back down on his jacket. Your eyes follow his movement as he crosses the empty street. You realize that he's going to the hoddeuk stand! You sigh with a light heart. He was still taking care of you despite, well, everything.  

You watch him from across the street. You see him adjust his shoulders and slightly tilt his head to the ahjumma in the stand. You see him pull out his wallet from his jean pocket and pay her. He waits for a few minutes.

He turns back to you and you're caught red-handed for staring at him. He throws a little one-handed wave and you give a short wave back. As he turns back to the ahjumma in the stand, you look downwards at your hands, clasping their partner. What is this fluttering in your heart? This light fluttering that has been aroused by Sunggyu's kind and gentle actions. It's almost as if you are meeting for the first time again. You think back to when you met at the library a little less than a year ago.

Before you know it, Sunggyu is coming back with three steaming hot hoddeuks in his hands. He walks up the curb and hands one to you and holds the other two.

"Gomawoyo," you say. You gently bite the fried skin. It tastes amazing. The steam burns off and it's very hot, but the heat feels nice with the cold November night.

Because of the hot steam, you both blow breathe out into the cold air at the same time. Suddenly, the both of you burst out in laughter with more hot steam leaking from your mouths. You bring a up a light fist to cover your mouth and he does as well with his cute eye-smile.

It isn't extremely funny, but you miss laughing and being with Sunggyu. You aren't sure if it's your imagination or not, but you feel like he misses it too.

As if on a silent agreement, you both blow out to see the fog condense before both of your eyes and continue snacking on the hoddeuk.

You turn to Sunggyu. You give a small grin while chewing, "Masheuta. It's delicious. Gomawoyo."

"Aish. Dashi? Again? Jincha, it's just a snack."

"Arasseo..." you say as your eyes fall to his hoddeuk. It's gone and there is one left. Sunggyu sees you looking at it and clears his throat. Suddenly the comfortable air is replaced with a slight awkwardness.

"Ah, since the ones we just ate were the hoddeuk, I figured we could just share the sweet sugary hoddeuk."

Your eyes widen slightly in hesitation and you bite your lips. You nod. Sunggyu takes a bite and then hands it to you. You bite the hoddeuk.

Ooh. It's so good! The sweet filling is delicious and thick. You hand back the hoddeuk to him and your fingers brush. You try to ignore it.

You look back to Sunggyu, who's enjoying the hoddeuk. He hands it back to you and you smile. You take another bite and breathe out into the night air. The both of you smile at your puff of steam, but don't say anything. The silence is nice.

You take another bite and look at the tree. You like this. Being with Sunggyu-even if it was a little bit awkward. Him being there made everything...complete. However, reason tries to kick in and you remember why you broke up with him at your apartment. You bite your lip and then cast a sideways look towards your left at Sunggyu.

He folds back the napkin and takes a bite. He notices you staring. Sunggyu chews and says encouragingly., "Koktchong hajima. Don't worry. You can have the rest."

"Omo..Did I look that hungry?" you ask in embarassment.

Sunggyu hands you the hoddeuk. He wipes his hands on his pants and then looks at you. You watch him with curious expectation. He clears his throat and sings with the arm movements, "Ko-ji ka-ta." ("Like a beggar" from their song 'BTD')

You bust into laughter and so does he. But then you almost drop the sweet hoddeuk! An abupt sense of panic is set off, but you both regain balance.

You and Sunggyu both chuckle together and smile. Could this amazing man really have been your ex? You take the last few bites and then crumple the napkin into a ball. You your lips to wipe any stray crumbs.  

Fiddling with your fingers, your eyes widen as you hear Sunggyu say, "I miss you ~~~-ah."