Late Tuesday Night

Feel so Bad

"Can you tell me what you're thinking?" you ask.

You hear Woohyun sigh deeply and stretch out on his bed. He smugly says, "I don't know, should I?" You roll your eyes and smile and you can feel him smilng as well. Before you can say anything, Woohyun says, "I'm thinking of you."

You walk out of the kitchen, glass of water in hand, and ask, "Jincha?"

"Ani. I'm thinking whether I should grab another pack of ramen or not. I'm hungry," he says nonchalantly.

"Oh," you respond. Then Woohyun laughs and you realize he was kidding.

"I'm not thinking of food right now, ~~~-ah," he reassures, "I'm thinking of you. Chongmal."

You smile as you walk to your bedroom. You go over and sit on your large fluffy bed. You trace the swirly patterns of the comforter lightly as you say, "I'm thinking of you too, oppa."

"Aigoo, I think I like it too much when you say it."

You laugh lightly and even though no one else is in your apartment, you feel the need to speak in hushed tones. "So what did you do today Namstar-oppa?"

"Na?"

"Mm-hmm. Or do you like Namu better?"

"You can call me all of them ~~~-ah. They all sound nice when you say it." He was so greasy. You are about to tell him so, but he says, "I know it sounds cheesy, but I'm for real." You close your mouth and your soft lips form a smile. "So what I did today, huh?" You put the phone on speaker as you go towards your closet. You quickly slip off your clothes and then throw on your pajamas. Then you return to the bed while Woohyun has been speaking.

"Well, Infinite had a radio interview to do today and then when it was done around 11:00, I went to ACube for the MBC Colors of K-Pop practice again today...ah, with Sunggyu-hyung," your mind goes blank as you imagine Sunggyu's smiling face, "and then I grabbed dinner and came home around 7:00."

"That's good that you're eating while you're busy oppa. Oppa needs to be healthy for his Inspirits."

"Aren't you an Inspirit?"

"Is it okay if I'm not? Gwenchana?"

"Mwo! Ani!" he says, making you laugh.

"Waeyo?"

"I'll make you into an Inspirit," he says with childish determination. You smile wider. He was greasy, but he had a true aegyo inside him.

You ask, "Eotteokke? How?" Woohyun ponders it over for a while and you smile comfortably. "Oppa."

"Mwo?"

"Can I tell you a secret? Pimil?"

Woohyun says, "Jebal ~~~-ah."

"I'm," you pause for a dramatic effect, "...actually an Inspirit." You laugh and then hear Woohyun laugh as well.

"I knew that. You used to come to a lot of our shows, right?"

"Nthe."

"See?  I knew uri ~~~-ah was an Inspirit..." he lets it hang and then he speaks up again. "Can I be honest with you?"

"Jebal oppa. Please do."

"I've always wanted to sing on the phone for a girl that was special to me, and that was kind of my excuse."

Your eyes flutter widely from their laziness. "I'll anticipate it then, oppa."

"But you can't make fun because it's late and my voice isn't very good at night."

"I won't make fun oppa."

"Aish, maybe I shouldn't do this," he says to himself.

"Aniyo! Oppa moksorie jincha daebak! Oppa's voice is really awesome!"

"Gomowoyo, ~~~-ah." He pauses and then he starts singing. You're surprised at the song.

It's Infinite's "With..."

Hamkke keo-reowah-tko   (We walked here together)


Kachi u-reosseot-ji    (We cried together)


 I-jji mothal keon   (I will not forget)


Neo ppunil keot kata (You ever)


I will never be alone...

With you...

Woohyun reverberates the last note and it sounds beautiful with his amazing voice. There is a moment of silence. It becomes too long for anxiously waiting Woohyun and he asks, "So...how was it? Joahe? Did you like it?"

You come out of your daze and smile. You say quietly, "Nthe. Jincha joahe oppa. I wish I could've recorded it."

"Mianhe, Recorder-uh eopeoyo. Sorry, I don't have a recorder."

"Dashi?" you ask hopefully.

"Aish..."

"Jebal oppa?" you say with a bit of aegyo. As you wait for his response, you uncross your legs from your cross-legged position and stretch out. You sigh as you pull the covers of the blanket back. You fold yourself into your bed. Then you lay down on your pillow with the phone underneath your ear. You tuck a strand of hair behind your ear. Eventually Woohyun starts singing slowly.

"Jikyeobwa jahna   (I've been watching over)

Ni sarangeul, Kin ibyeoreul...   (All the loves and break-ups)

Neul sangcho baedeul ba en (If you're going to keep getting hurt)

Nan ge na ahhh.. (It's better to be with me)

Kkok baro bwa   (Look at me)

Uneunge shirreo seo geurae...  (It's because I hate to see you cry, alright?)

Apeuge himduro geurae...  (Being hurt is hard, right?)

Geureon neol bolttae mada... " (It also hurts me)

 

 

Woohyun lowers the last note to signal the ending. You raise your hands and clap towards the microphone on the phone.  "That was really good oppa."

"Gomowo," Woohyun says, making you smile. He so openly used panmal (informality) with you, it was hard to respond since you weren't accustomed to it. Woohyun notices your hesitation and he asks, "Too far?"

You nervously laugh, "A-aniyo oppa."

"If you use panmal with me, gwenchana ~~~-ah. Arasseo?"

"Mmm. Arasseo, but it'll take time."

"Wae???" he whines cutely and you bite back a wide smile from his greasiness.

"It's because you're my oppa. Jincha himduro when I speak panmal to my elders."

"Ahh, geurae?"

You nod, "Nthe oppa. Mianhe."

You can feel Woohyun smiling. "Gwenchana ~~~-ah. Mianhe ma."

You change the subject, "So, what's oppa doing tomorrow?"

"Practice for the Colors of K-Pop and then nothing else. Are you free tomorrow?"

You say regretfully, "Aniyo. I have a birthday party tomorrow."

"Nugu saengill chukka? Who's birthday?" Woohyun asks.

"Ah, InJae-ah's namja chinggu, Kim Seunghoon."

"Namja chinggu? Boyfriend? Onjen? Since when?"

"They aren't official, but they are so obvious, they might as well be a couple. She's planning the birthday."

"Ah, so not official, but practically dating...sounds like our situation ~~~-ah." he chuckles. "So have you told anyone yet?"

"I'm not ashamed..to be your girlfriend, but...I haven't told anyone yet," you say quietly. You feel that you don't want the world to know that you are dating Woohyun. At least not yet. That was what you constantly told yourself whenever In Jae would ask how things were with you, but secretly, you still aren't sure if you can date Woohyun while you still love Sunggyu. You clear your throat, "Have you told anyone oppa?"

"I was thinking about telling Dongwoo-hyung-" your heart freezes, "but I decided to ask you first if it was okay if I told the boys."

"Ah, umm...you can tell them, I guess," you imagine a heartbroken Dongwoo and your heart dies a little, "but...don't make a big deal out of it. Jebal oppa."

"Aigoo...uri ~~~-ah's shy..." he sings. You throw in a fake "tsh", but in reality, your mind is spinning with all the people knowing. You hear a door squeak open and Woohyun rustling about.

"I gotta go now," Woohyun says quickly.

"Ah, nthe. Good night oppa."

"Mmm, good night."

Then Woohyun ends the call. You look at the call time. Three hours, twelve minutes, and forty-eight seconds. That was a long time. You remember a phone call long ago with Sunggyu on the other end of the line that had kept you up until the early morning. Your phone bill was going to be a bit high this month, but you brush it aside as you set your phone on the nightstand and fall asleep.

 

Woohyun puts his phone on the side with his heart beating quickly as Sunggyu sits down on his bunk beneath him. Sunggyu says, "It's been a while since you've called your eomma at night." Sunggyu lays down on his bunk and Woohyun's heartbeat slows. He peeks from over the top of the bunk.

"What are you talking about? The inspirits know that I call eomma and appa every night. Sunggyu sighs and rubs a hand behind his neck. Woohyun returns to his laying on his bed.

"Say what you want Woohyun-ah. We both know that you haven't called your parents in a while." Woohyun raises his eyebrows and his eyes widen. Did Sunggyu know who he was really talking to? "Did you say hi to eomma for me?"  

Woohyun sighs what sounds like a tired sigh, but it's actually a sigh of relief. Sunggyu didn't know that it was you. "Ah, I forgot. I'll tell her next time."  

"Mmm," Sunggyu says.

"So how was your day solo idol?"

"It was good. You ready to meet your group for Colors of K-pop?" Sunggyu asks from his bottom bunk.

"Yeah. My group's 'Dramatic Blue'." Woohyun paints with his hand in the air an imaginary headline. " 'Dramatic Blue'. Sounds daebak doesn't it?"

"Sure, but why did they give us English names? Korean would have been fine. Mine's 'Dynamic Black'. I heard Jinwoon-hyung's going to be in my group. Isn't he quite popular nowadays?"

"That's because you like rock music." Woohyun replies. "Hyung I'm going to go to sleep now. You stay up by yourself if you want." And with that, Woohyun turns on to his side and plugs his earbuds in. Meanwhile, Sunggyu is flipping through his phone pictures. He doesn't want to delete the ones of you and him together. His eyes go from his photos on his phone to the taped photos above his bed. He sighs.

Whatever. You're a solo idol now. This is what you've always wanted. Don't mess it up. Sunggyu squeezes his eyes shut and then reopens it. He sees a picture of you laughing at the camera which Sunggyu had been holding. Gosh, she's so beautiful.

He looks into your eyes in the photo. He misses the way you would wrap your arms around him and how you would cuddle on his chest at night. He puts his hand over his chest as if imagining caressing your hair like you used to. Sunggyu tilts his head in reminiscence.

Then he snaps out of his memories and sits up. He walks to the door to the light switch. He flips it off. Sunggyu misses your lamp in your night stand which didn't require getting up. Sunggyu shakes his head. Everything that he did reminded him of you.

Then he rushes over to his bunk and sits down. He runs a hand through his red hair and lays down on his pillow. In the darkness where he is alone with his thoughts, he allows himself to remember your happy past together while he drifts to sleep.