Wednesday Evening (2)

Feel so Bad

You take a white tablecloth and spread it on the table. Your eyes flit to Sunggyu at the other end. He was watching you. Gosh this is awkward.

"I got the other end," offers Sunggyu. He walks over to the other end of the table and helps even the cloth out.

You clumsily throw him a bag of confetti, but he catches it with grace. You bite your lips, trying to keep from blushing. You ask, "Can you sprinkle this on the tablecloth and then lay this," you hand Sunggyu a smaller white tablecloth, "on the fridge over there?"

"Yeah," Sunggyu replies.

While he's doing his new task, you dig in the bag and pull out some blue and gold streamers. You reach for some tape and then walk over, looking at the ceiling. You decide to rip long strips of streamers to put as a border on the walls, letting them fall from the ceiling in alternate order.

You take the small stairstep down and sit on the couch. You start ripping the streamers evenly, measuring them to about an arm's length. You hear Sunggyu clear his throat and you turn around.

"I'm done. Anything else?"

"Um," you say while looking around. There's not much else that he can do...other than help you rip the streamers. Sitting on the couch. You sigh. You need the help since In Jae was going to be here in a few minutes.

"I guess you can help me rip streamers."

Sunggyu looks at you and smiles awkwardly. "Alright."

He steps down and comes over to sit on the couch with you. You immediately scooch away as if he needs more space, but in reality, he is sitting at the opposite end of the couch. You continue ripping, not looking at him. Sunggyu clears his throat again.

You look at him expectantly. Sunggyu asks nonchalantly, "How long do you want the streamers?" You look at your arms. It wasn't a specific length, not really a meter. Too long for centimeters. Either way, you knew that Sunggyu was bad at numerical measurements.

You say, "About my arm length." Ypu extend your arm while not looking at Sunggyu. "Arasseo?" you ask.

"Um, alright...." Sunggyu drifts off.

"Mwoyo? What is it?" you ask, looking a little too intently at your ripping skills. When he doesn't say anything, you stop ripping the streamers and look at him.

Sunggyu sighs, "Can I measure your arm to mine so I know how long to rip it?"

WHAT DID HE JUST SAY?

You manage to keep your mental red-flag alarm contained, but Sunggyu shakes his head and stutters, "N-never mind. Forget I asked."

This situation is way too awkward. If this continues, nothing will be decorated. In Jae would proabably throw a worry tantrum. And she's never had one of those.

You don't want to be near him longer than neccessary so you nod your head at him, but he's not looking at you.

Grabbing his attention, you say to Sunggyu,  "Aniyo. Gwenchanayo." You scoot over to him, motioning for him to do the same.

You can do this ~~~. It's just....Sunggyu...Measure and then retreat. Like a dog. You almost laugh out loud at your silly mental notes, but you manage to supress it with a smile. Thankfully, Sunggyu doesn't notice since he's looking at your arm.

Right, measuring arms. Don't forget what your doing ~~~. You raise your right arm and extend it out. You scoot a little closer to Sunggyu.

He extends his left arm to match yours. It's not quite accurate so you naturally scoot closer to him. Sunggyu watches you, but doesn't pull away. You dont notice as he stares at you with a sad, regretful look.

You measure with your arm against his. Your fingertips reach about to his wrist and, while not looking at him, you wrap your left fingers around his wrist to show him where to pull the streamer to. "That look about right?" you ask, looking up at him. You are startled as you are caught in his gaze.

{totally imagined it like in '60 seconds' where the girl is startled by L at the end!! But in a more confused and nicer way of course. :) }

You breathe in sharply, but he doesn't pull away. Looking into Sunggyu's eyes, you feel vulnerable all of a sudden, but you don't pull away as you search his eyes for the first time since you've seen him. You miss him so much and he is so close to you.....You had trusted this man for so long, but now there is an unseen barrier that restrains the both of you. 

You drop your gaze first and bite your lips. You turn your head in the other direction and look at the wall and you hear Sunggyu shuffling. You turn back to him and give a regretful smile at him. You shoot your eyebrows up. "Got it?"

"Umm, yeah. Mianhe about-"

"Arasseo. Your arm is a different length than mine. I get it," you say playing the "nothing happened" card.

Sunggyu looks at you and nods slowly. You run a hand through your beautifully curled hair and then shift back over to your seat.

After a bit of ripping with some small chat in between, you walk up towards the screen and, looking at the cieling, announce to no one, "I'm going to start decorating."

Sunggyu keeps ripping and replies, "Arasseo."

Your eyes widen, bt you allow yourself to smile. Your heart is touched by the fact Sunggyu had remembered. That was how it always went when you two were together. When one announced something, even if it was rhetorical, the other would shoot back, "Arasseo" .

Sunggyu looks back up to you and gives a shrug of a grin, but when he sees your big smile, he gives an eye-smile with a small laugh.

You pull a folding chair over and set it near the wall. You look down at your shoes. Your heels aren't the sturdiest thing in the world, so you sit on a folding chair to take off the strappy heels.

You have one leg extended out, but you shyly turn it the direction opposite Sunggyu. Your left leg is crooked so that you can take off the shoe.

As you are bent over taking the heel off, Sunggyu looks up and asks, "Waeyo?"

Without moving too much, you turn to speak to him, who's sitting on the couch. You say, "I'm not weird. I'm just taking them off so I can stand better on the chair."

Sunggyu nods and then continues ripping. You sigh and then, once your shoes are on the floor, stand up barefooted. You move the folding chair according to where you want to place the streamers up.

You hop on to the chair and then start taping streamers on to the wall. You alternate the blue and gold. 

Sunggyu walks over as you tape the last streamer in your hand. You exclaim, "Aish, I need more-"

You turn around to see Sunggyu behind you, standing on the floor. In his hand are some streamers with tape. You quirk your eyebrows and look at him. You say, "Kamsahamnida,"with a smile. You bend your knees to lower yourself so that you can scoop them out of his hands.

"Knew you were going to need them. You might as well stay on the chair since you're already up there," Sunggyu says looking up at you.

"Woh, chongmal ara. You really know how to do this," you say with a slightly mocking tone.

Sunggyu smiles and then heads back to the table and couch to prepare the next round of streamers and tape. You put them up smiling to yourself.

When you finish the handful, you turn around to see Sunggyu looking at your high heels on the floor. One is laying on the floor on its side and Sunggyu gracefully crouches down to straighten the heel to match its pair.

You watch silently as he studies the black heels. He looks at the sequins and you can tell that he's remembering the height of the heels and your dates together. He stands up slowly and you turn around abruptly in panic, hoping that he didn't see you watching him.

You turn back again, as if nothing happened, to ask for more streamers and say, "Sunggyu-opp-ssi."

You had accidentally let 'oppa' slip out!

At least you had gotten the 'ssi' out, right? Maybe he didn't hear it-

"~~~-ah, if you're alright with it, you can still call me 'oppa'."

You don't notice your hesitation, but Sunggyu does and says, "I mean, we still know each other and all...."

"Arasseo." Calling him oppa...aish, why was this so messy? You decide to avoid honorifics for now. "So can I have some more streamers?"

Sunggyu hands you a few more streamers and then walks back to the table to pick up more streamers. You decide that while he's away for a moment, it's a good time to move the chair to keep decorating.

The awkwardness continues until you are done decorating most of the room.

 

When you step off the chair for the last time, you look around the karaoke room from the back by the door. You are quite pleased with the results. You turn around and see that the back of the room is a little bare.

In the corner, there is the mini fridge. There is a mini counter top/table thing. It was a lot higher than the chair, but it looks sturdy. You want to decorate the corner with streamers.

You grab a few streamers from Sunggyu who looks at you and asks, "Do you need more?"

"Ah, nthe," you say. Sunggyu keeps ripping as you decorate the back corner. You finish quickly and then you slowly turn to get off of the tall support.

You freeze.

This was really high up. About a meter and a half. You look over at Sunggyu who is still on the couch. You bite your lips. No way are you jumping off of this thing.

You decide to push back the streamers you had taped u and hold on to the wall. You embarrasedly call, "Um-" and Sunggyu immediately turns around to look at you. You blushed at how quick he was and also where you were.

"What are you doing up there?!" Sunggyu asked as he slowly rose up from his seat.

You whine with worry and say rushedly, "I thought it would look nice to decorate the corner, and the chair wasn't tall enough so I used this and now I can't....get down." You slowed at the end.

Sunggyu surprise you by laughing. You crinkle your eyebrows and your lips pout slightly. "Don't laugh at me." You turn your head slightly away and say, "It's embarrassing."

Sunggyu stops, but he keeps a smile that he's trying to supress on. He says, "Jump down. It's not too far."

You automatically shoot back, "Yah! If an old grandpa like you was up here, you wouldn't jump down either!" You gasp and immediately bite your lips.

That was your old couple joke. Was that still valid to say when you two were broken up?

You don't take what you said back. Sunggyu thinks it over and then says, "Arasseo. Stay up there. I'll decorate the rest."

"You-You're just gonna leave me up here?"

Sunggyu nods and you are slightly shocked. You can only mumble, "Arasseo."

You remain standing and watch Sunggyu. Maybe this would be okay. He had gotten to watch you earlier, now the positions were switched.

You watch him, but then you realize that Sunggyu doesn't know what to do. You laugh and call out, "There are some balloons in the bag. We both can blow them and then you can hang them up with tape.

"Arasseo," Sunggyu laughs with a hint of his cute embarassment. While watching him, you realize that you miss seeing this side of him. A side that he wouldn't show to others.

After pointing and laughing from your high position as you told Sunggyu where to put the balloons, Sunggyu manages to finish decently and comes over to you. He turns with his back to you.

"Mwoyo?" you ask, looking down at his bright red hair.

"I'll carry you down."

"Aniyo! I'm heavy!"

Sunggyu turns around to look at you. "~~~-ah. You're not going to stay up there for the whole party are you? Seunghoon-hyung wouldn't like that." You think it over. Sunggyu is right. Then he continues, "Plus, I already know your weight. I've been working out for my solo promotions. I can carry you."

You laugh and smile down at him. No matter what, Sunggyu was a determined man. He looks up at you and adds, "Paili. Hurry. I don't like you being too much taller than me."

You laugh out loud and then Sunggyu turns around with his back to you again. You lean down to wrap your arms around his neck. You brush his hair slightly. It was thin, just like before. You quickly wrap your legs around him, knowing that if you are awkward, it will only be unnecessary weight.

As you hop on to him, Sunggyu holds firm. He was right, he had gotten more muscular. You want to comment on his new strength, but then, as you are extremely close to him, you smell the warm apple cinnamon musk.

Your eyes widen and you wonder what Sunggyu is thinking as he holds you. Did he see it as just a way to help a girl out or something more? You realize that you wish for the second option.

Sunggyu lets you down and you manage to not slide off awkwardly. You can only stand where you are as Sunggyu turns around to look at you. "K-Khamsahamnida Sunggyu-oppa."

Sunggyu seems content that you had used panmal, and you awkwardly run a hand through your curls. Sunggyu notices. "Mwoyo? Apayo? What is it? Are you hurt?"

"A-aniyo" you say. Was this a coincidence that you had worn your heels today and that Sunggyu had worn his special cologne? It is as if you guys had planned to do this for each other. It was already a coincidence that you guys were at the same birthday party.

You look at Sunggyu and say, "It's just that...um, you smell nice."

Under any other circumstances, it would have been awkward. But this was Sunggyu. Your ex-boyfriend. He knew what you meant about the specific cologne.

Sunggyu looks at you with understanding eyes. He says with feeling, "Kamsahamnida."

You nod and then look away. To the floor, to the walls, anywhere. You look back at Sunggyu and he looks hopeful that you'll say something, and you feel your heart wants to say something too, but you don't say anything. You think of the fun that you had with him-today and in your shared past-and you can only give him a sad smile.

Then the door to the karaoke room opens and you both quickly turn to the door.