Confronting Henry

Let Love...

 

Henry would always hang out with Amber. As if he didn't say anything to her.
"We're still friends, right?" he would say whenever Amber gives him an odd stare. Amber knew it wasn't only for the friendship but also for the thing he said that day, Amber didn't want him to expect anything from her but she was too afraid to hurt his feelings. Then she thought, it was him who first broke her heart. Why is it wrong if she'll do the same? But she wasn't the type who liked vengeance and most of all, she was happy. She wouldn't have been that happy if Henry didn't hurt her feelings.
 
"Henry.." but in some way, she still had to tell him, not to hurt him and make him feel guilty but to be honest with him.
"I know why you're  doing this." She started as they walked toward her working place.
"We can still be friends. You know that but... but I don't think it'll ever cross that." Amber tried so hard to find the right words.
"What? You're so sure that you'll marry him or something?" Henry was getting a little angry. He felt like Amber didn't want to give him a chance.
"No, it's not like that. I just don't want you to expect." Amber answered as she stopped walking.
"I'm not expecting. I'm just hoping... hoping that you'll change your mind, that you'll choose me over him. That's it." Henry explained and faced Amber.
 
"Don't you think everything happens for a reason?" she asked him.
"Maybe, fate knew that we're better off as friends... Maybe, fate had other plans for us." she said before she started walking again. Henry followed her without talking.
"If we're meant to be together, let time do it for us." she continued talking. She couldn't believe herself. She couldn't believe that she was able to say those kinds of things though she doesn't even talk as serious as that.
 
When they reached the cafe, Amber faced Henry and looked at him with her sorry eyes.
 
"Don't look at me like that. I hate it." Henry joked.
"I'll see you next Sunday." Amber waved at him before entering the cafe.
 
Min looked at Amber curiously when she got out of the locker room. She was suspecting something since she saw Henry sending her off to work earlier. She put her arms across her chest and raised her eyebrows as well.
 
"Are you betraying Jinki?" Min asked with a  low voice.
"Huh?" Amber creased her forehead.
"I saw you and Henry... You're cheating on Jinki, aren't you? If you are then you're not my friend anymore." she was giving her a really rude expression.
"No, I'm not. Don't worry. I'll tell you everything later." Amber patted Min's shoulder and went to the counter and started working.
 
Amber ignored Min's deadly stare. She knew to herself that she didn't do anything wrong so her stare wasn't affecting her. SO after work, as the walked home, Amber explained herself to Min. She just wanted to clear everything out. Min listened really well and believed her. She just knew whenever Amber's lying or when she's telling the truth.
 
"What made you think I'd cheat on him?" Amber shook her head.
"Min, I'm aware of Jinki's past relationship. Everyone is. And I wouldn't even try to cheat on him. I... I love him." she had always been embarrassed on saying those three words in public but she had to. It's not like it'll harm her to tell how she felt.
 
"Didn't know you already love him..." Min looked down.
"Well, what do you want me to think? You used to like Henry, like, a lot." Min added.
"All I can say is... People and feelings change." Amber replied then she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket.
 
"Hey, I'm with Min." she answered her phone.
"Were you able to talk to him?" Jinki asked her through the phone.
"Yes, I talked to him. Don't know if he understood what I was trying to say." Amber looked at Min and rolled her eyes.
 
"I'm at the bus stop. Wouldn't you mind coming here?" Jinki changed their topic cos he was really planning to talk about it when they meet up.
"Yeah, sure. I'll be there in 5 minutes."
"I'll be waiting." they both hang up.
 
"For your information, Jinki knew I was going to talk to Henry. I told him first." Amber stated putting her phone back to her pocket.
"You don't tell your best friend anything first anymore." Min pouted and Amber laughed.
"That's part of our relationship problems. I tell you second about them and first about other things." Amber said still laughing.
"I'm meeting Jinki. I'll text you later. Bye." Amber waved at her and ran off.
 
"You're late." Jinki glared at her.
"Yeah... for, like, a minute."
"Hush, the bus is coming. Let's go." Jinki pulled her when the bus stopped in front of them.
"Where are we going?" Amber asked as she sat down.
"You'll see." Jinki retorted looking out at the window. They went down at the third stop.
 
"Han river?" Amber asked glancing at Jinki.
"Yeah. Clear sky. Lots of stars... Star gazing." he replied and pulled her to a close bench.
 
"This is where we first met." Amber said looking back at the tree behind them. It was where she hid the day she first saw him and heard him sing.
"Uh-huh. 누난 너무 예뻐 그 그녀를 보는 나는 미쳐" Jinki started singing as he looked up at the sky. Amber leaned her head on his shoulder and listened to Jinki's singing voice as she looked at the night sky as well. Then he suddenly stopped. Amber frowned then Jinki gave her a choco lolli that made Amber smile like a little child again. They their lollipops as they gazed at the starry sky. Jinki took her hand and wrapped it with his and placed it on his lap.
 
"I like this." Amber uttered with a smile plastered on her face.
 
...
 
Few weeks passed. Henry stopped going to the park on Sundays. His college buddies were still coming since they still considered Amber as their friend. They knew the reason but they never talked about it. Amber didn't want to talk about it just because she already felt guilty. She didn't want to grow too apart from Henry. He was the one to help her adjust in a foreign place. He was the only person she depended on in the past. He was the only friend she had when the world turned its back on her. She loved him in some way, maybe not as much as how she was loving Jinki, but among all the guys she liked, he became the most important. She realized that she couldn't live without him as her friend. She felt like they were always meant to be friends and hoped that "love" wouldn't ruin the friendship that took the years to build.
 
So she didn't stop calling him. She didn't stop coming to his place. But he would always ignore her calls or he would always have his roommate tell an excuse every time she came to his apartment. "I'm not stupid, Henry!" Amber shouted from the front door before walking away. It was what she hated about Henry. He was aware of things but he was always afraid to face the facts or the things he didn't want to believe. He always wanted everything to go his way. She cared for him but sometimes he was just wrong.
 
"Henry?" Henry closed the door behind him and saw a guy standing in front of him.
"You're Henry, right?" he asked and Henry nodded.
"I'm Lee Jinki. I'm sure you've heard my name before." he said that surprised Henry.
 
The two went to a cafe nearby. They sat in silence after the waiter gave them their orders.
 
"Amber would kill me if she finds out I cam to see you." Jinki had a crook smile after taking a sip of his cappuccino.
"Tell me what you want." Henry was tapping his fingers on the table acting like a total tough guy.
"Amber's really troubled," Jinki started staring at his half full cup.
"She... she's really worried about you and... she misses you." Jinki glanced at Henry who was obviously listening.
"Talk to her, at least. To clear things out between you two... I'm sure you can't take seeing her sad." Jinki took another small sip.
"Mind your own business, will you?" Henry rolled his eyes wanting to stop listening.
"I can't just mind my own business when my business is Amber." Jinki's voice was getting more and more serious.
"I'm doing this for her not for you. I mean, how can you take seeing her like that and pretending like you're ignorant" Jinki raised his voice.
"When I didn't want to accept the fact that I liked Amber, I tried doing that too but I asked myself 'who am I kidding?'..." Jinki tried to get Henry's attention as much as possible.
"Who are YOU kidding? Yourself? She didn't ask you to give up. She just wanted everything to be back to normal again. You were showing her a different motive." Jinki explained as clear as he could and knew that Henry understood what he was trying to tell him.
"You're a competition but for Amber's happiness, please start acting like her real friend again." 
 
Jinki finished his coffee. He took his wallet and took some cash to pay for their coffee. When he stood up, Henry finally spoke.
 
"I understand now... why she likes you and all." Jinki looked back at him.
"Why she's rather be with you than be with me." Henry added and finished his coffee.
"I wouldn't even have the guts to talk to you." Henry confessed.
 
"Thanks." he uttered with a grin before letting Jinki go.
 
Henry knew that Jinki was right. He could finally accept his mistake. He was ready to face Amber, to face the facts and the truth.
 
......................
 
a little late update. Busiest week yet. I thought I wouldn't be able to survive. But then again, I did. So here I am. And this week's not even over yet.
Twisted my ankle the other day during gym class. I'm so clumsy. But I'm alright now.
Best thing about this week? It's Onew's birthday today!!!! Love of my life. hahah
Hope you liked this one, :)
 
xdorkyx
x